Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Eddy is so fuckin cool man. He might be the most misunderstood character. No one "flows" like him if that makes sense. His interconnectedness and unique movement is just awesome. The right level of bullshit and partying but with solid tools. The more I look at online of eddy complaints 95% are from people who can't figure out how to hit him out of stance and don't realize the huge risks he takes all the time. Out of the "stance characters" his stance transitions are the most fluid and sensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Hwo has a lot more transitions tho

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eddy is definitely cool and once I've put years into the Tekken series I might learn him. For now I'm going all in on Josie.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I used Eddy primarily in Tekken 3 which was the last in the series that I played until 7. Turns out beating up on my hapless friends in 3 didn't mean I was any good with Eddy. Found that out fairly quickly after playing 7 online. Went with Feng instead with a little bit of Josie and Anna to mix it up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play Lei. He got 13 stances. More stances is better.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Brosnan posted:

Hwo has a lot more transitions tho

I said his are the most fluid (and thats my opinion).. Not that he has the most

Bloopsy posted:

I used Eddy primarily in Tekken 3 which was the last in the series that I played until 7. Turns out beating up on my hapless friends in 3 didn't mean I was any good with Eddy. Found that out fairly quickly after playing 7 online. Went with Feng instead with a little bit of Josie and Anna to mix it up.

Yea t7 is my first so its weird when I read complaints from people who got mashed on 15 years ago and theyre still thinking that's how the character gets played (or ever was idk). I'm pretty sure I thought I had a badass Ryu on SNES SF2 as well. Looking back I didn't know anything lol.

Nazzadan posted:

Eddy is definitely cool and once I've put years into the Tekken series I might learn him. For now I'm going all in on Josie.

He's got a lot of unorthodox attributes and quirks that make him not a straightforward pickup in the way you might just decide to pick up Josie, Kazumi, Leroy etc. That being said for me he's by far the most fun to use.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well I was really vibing with Josie and decided to focus on her for a tourney this weekend, then last night after some frustrating sets I played a few Marduk games and everything came flowing back to me and I question why I ever play anyone but him. Time to brush up on throw setups and just focus on him for this weekend :shrug:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Fakhumram dropping the 24th. From the trailer his damage seems fine (compared to chars like leroy) if not a little low. Though he does have a low RD that looks great (I think it's not even from stance like Ling's is) and a zero damage guard breaking wall splat teep type move (?). Hyped

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Character Customization, Bald with eyepatch will more than likely be the first thing that'll do before even playing as him

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Blasted Salami's Devil Jin essentials finally got me to try DVJ after a few thousand Hei/Kaz matches. His combos aren't nearly as weird as I felt, and while his damage low it owns carrying people 70% of the screen on every combo. And having low pokes. I kinda miss doing damage, but, d/f+1 into steel pedal CH makes up for it.

DVJ essentials may be one of the most effective fighting game tutorials ever made too.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 19, 2020

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's his best work in the series so far, that's for sure. I know he worked on it a lot longer than the rest of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish every game had a TBS. those videos are incredibly good

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
That's 100% true, without his earlier ones in the series I don't think I would have stuck with Tekken. Don't get me wrong I still suck but it helped me a lot to understand the difference between just pushing buttons and playing.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I am ready to lore match Faks all day working from home as Marduk

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I think this might be better than his original Jin video which was my previous favorite.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The patch notes are out, though it's impossible to tell which moves have been changed because the annotations seem to be in wingdings: https://bandainamcoent.asia/news/tekken-7-dlc-14-15-and-patch-v3-30/

Going by the descriptions and number of changes made, they nerfed Akuma, helped Miguel out a bit, and, for some reason that's beyond me, really buffed Hwoarang and Xiaoyu.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
https://twitter.com/TekkenLowHigh/status/1242004373032423424

game is tekken 5DR but without the actually interesting stage design or variety of music styles or decent customization, enjoy

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

darealkooky posted:

https://twitter.com/TekkenLowHigh/status/1242004373032423424

game is tekken 5DR but without the actually interesting stage design or variety of music styles or decent customization, enjoy

yes, it's very good

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
They also made Kazuya's hellsweep homing, on top of the improved frames on the whiffed electric. Dealing with Kazuya's 50/50 was already my least favorite Tekken thing, so now he might be in pre-nerf Leroy 1-match-and-we're-done territory.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"why would you use 3D movement in a 3D fighting game when you could take a 50/50?" - man in charge of a fighting game that doesn't actually play it

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Jeez, this game used to have good balancing decisions. What happened in season 3 to change that?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Man, I like Murray but that dude needs to stop loving tweeting

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Roluth posted:

Jeez, this game used to have good balancing decisions. What happened in season 3 to change that?

Murray took over

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Nazzadan posted:

Man, I like Murray but that dude needs to stop loving tweeting
You're in luck:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm still trying to figure out why the two biggest moves in the Mishima movelist were buffed as much as they were? The Mishimas were still some of the best characters in the game, even if the execution requirements were high. So, who exactly asked for this? Hopefully, since the outcry is so big, this gets reverted soon.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Murray is bad at his job. Tons of questionable decisions since he got the promotion. Usually dumb buffs are not awful but Kazuya constitutes 30% of online matches and his 50 50 vortex bullshit is one of the lamest things to play against in the game. Luckily I main eddy so I can't side step to begin with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does mishimastar not do the balancing anymore.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, I haven't gone back to Tekken in awhile and it looks like things got kinda dire since they've shaken the team up a bit.

It's pretty bizarre to buff all the frustrating parts of a character, especially when they're already good.

In that gif posted up thread, is that showing that you can't launch him during the recovery of ewgf? Do lows work?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Roluth posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the two biggest moves in the Mishima movelist were buffed as much as they were?

the legacy of "the epic mishima players and the hard to do EWGF move" gives tekken more appeal among casual stream watchers, blame pakistan for beating all the koreans recently

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

They took 3 frames off ewgf whiff recovery specifically

Hellsweep change dumb, ewgf change... I dunno. Kinda dumb, but I appreciate it

Faffel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 23, 2020

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/1242084880126603265

I was pretty close, actually. They won't improve the netcode but they'll balance characters based on online win rates. lmfao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That does actually explain their random kneecapping of Katarina awhile back, tbh

She's not actively a problem among higher level players or even your basic tournament player, but she's pretty dang good online and we cannot allow this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if only that tweet said something about them taking high level/tournament performance into account among the variables they look at when they make balancing decisions :thunk:

darealkooky posted:

"why would you use 3D movement in a 3D fighting game when you could take a 50/50?" - man in charge of a fighting game that doesn't actually play it

Do you actually know how sidewalking works?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

do you? because only a few characters can even sidewalk hellsweep now

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also pretty hilarious that hwoarang got buffs for no good reason. I hope Fakhumram isnt OP so I can enjoy using him

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

do you? because only a few characters can even sidewalk hellsweep now

Yea, sidewalking is a guess you take when you think a linear move/string is coming and you're hoping for a whiff punish. It generally loses to moves that home/track well, and stuff that involves, say, spinning around with a limb in the air. Something like a snake edge but kind of different maybe?

Murray correctly says that if you know a hell sweep is coming, you should block and punish rather than trying to sidewalk, which they've now made even more clear. If you're mad that you don't get to solve the Mishima matchup by just sidewalking crouchdashes, then sorry not sorry.

I know Murray has been kind of abrasive lately but this stuff is bringing out the scrub attitudes in droves, like look at this poo poo:

Seltzer posted:

I hope Fakhumram isnt OP so I can enjoy using him

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Brosnan posted:

Murray correctly says that if you know a hell sweep is coming, you should block and punish rather than trying to sidewalk

hold this ff3 while you sit there preemptively down-backing the 16f low. hellsweep 50/50's are only "the mishima matchup" because tekken 7 consistently tries to make movement worse than previous tekken games with every patch, either in terms of speed or just making every other move track in dumb lab-encouraging ways. being able to actually use 3D movement in a 3D fighting game didn't even automatically defeat hellsweep previously because you could delay the timing to auto-correct the movement (but make what option you're going for a bit more obvious) or just do a different loving move. all that's changed is that now you can force your 50/50 in more situations. you can jab into hellsweep now and most of the cast just has to loving hold it.
if I wanted to guess between low/mid point blank over and over there are a lot of games that don't have tekkens obvious shortcomings I could play instead. there were only a few games where I can 3D maneuver around stuff. it's true that some people are getting unreasonably upset at murray or these patch notes in general, but that's to be expected when they consistently make odd changes for months & you encourage a cult-like mentality of Good rear end Tekken TM among your fanbase. The direction tekken 7 has been going in for the past like 6 months now has just been one baffling change after another and people are concerned the thing they spent a lot of time on is turning into something way different they may not care for.

Seltzer posted:

Also pretty hilarious that hwoarang got buffs for no good reason. I hope Fakhumram isnt OP so I can enjoy using him

one of the buffs was just so that a move that could only be block punished by gigas can no longer do so but otherwise the move is pretty much the exact same. that's what their battle log data told them they should do.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 24, 2020

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
good that they gave fakhumram like an extra 2 feet on his height from the gameplay footage from before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

all that's changed is that now you can force your 50/50 in more situations. you can jab into hellsweep now and most of the cast just has to loving hold it.

You can't figure out what you could possibly do to interrupt the 20 frames between them doing a jab and a hellsweep coming out? (Wait you are probably fighting Tekken gods who are frame perfect so you only have like 17 frames instead.) I think if that seems like a godlike mixup to you, leaving you no option but to guess at point blank over and over, maybe Tekken really isn't the game for you.