Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

How's the teleconference going? I refuse to watch it

Press conference, whatever

They are talking badly about testing in other countries and just one-upped "The Presidents 15 Day Challenge"

We're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

Is the 1.5k a one off, or a recurring benefit?

That's the one-off part, per-person including kids, there's also a recurring which is 600/week. I think that's per adult but I haven't had a chance to read it all yet.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
So where the gently caress is Dr. Fauci? Is he out? Other Sane Lady looked miserable watching Trump talk.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bernie underperforming in the primaries really made the place turn a corner into outright hatefulness

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

Jesus loving Christ. gently caress them.

It's a loving stimulus, IT SHOULDN'T NEED TO BE REPAID YOU FUCKS.

So do we like public money given away to the well off or not?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Your country has 5x as many deaths as we have cases and nothing is being done

What the gently caress

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

:laffo: There's no loving way this will work. I mean, it'll work for the Corps of Engineers. But it won't work for the people who have to find the equipment, the clinicians who have to staff it, or the patients who have to try to recover there.

A real ICU room is almost as hard to build as an operating room. It takes months to do it. And most existing ICU equipment needs the specialized air, water, and electricity lines that a real ICU room has. Even some of the portable stuff assumes you will have the hookups that are in most ambulances.

The only ICU equipment that will work in a bare room is the equipment packed away in field hospital supply boxes. And why the gently caress would you dick around for a week and half on renovations when you've got the tent right there ready right now?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bc you put the tent up first while you build the ICU?

its pretty simple

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Weirdly enough an actual building is usually better than a tent

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jesus loving Christ. gently caress them.

It's a loving stimulus, IT SHOULDN'T NEED TO BE REPAID YOU FUCKS.

tbh this is a step in the right direction, at least they are giving money directly to non-corporate citizens, and are using cash rather than tax credits

but, of course, i do not have to hand it to them

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm not at all upset that the plan requires anybody filing for taxes that show they made over 75k to repay 1200

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Internet Wizard posted:

Weirdly enough an actual building is usually better than a tent

Depends on the building. If he were talking about putting up walls in a gym or convention center that doesn't have existing carpet, that could work. But existing hotels and dorms? That's bonkers.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I'm more than a little embarrassed that I see $75,000 and think of it as some unattainable salary. I do live in a hell state with a low cost of living though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Repurpose dead malls into hospitals. Put a VA sign on it and leave it open after the virus crisis.

I would say the dead box stores too, but then you literally wind up in Kmart hospital care.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Why are people in this thread acting like someone making 75k a year is poor and shouldn't have to pay the money back? Or are people just not reading and think everyone has to pay it back?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's all made up moonbux anyhow. Let them have their money.

Unless they make one million moonbux or more, then squeeze like you want blood from a turnip.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Because 75k is really not that much

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Because 75k is really not that much

Seriously it all depends on cost of living. If you make 75k and live near the San Francisco Bay aren't you just barely scraping by?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The median personal income in the US, going by a quick ol' google search, is about 31K, and the median household income is about 60K. It's also worth noting that 75K personal/150K household is where the money starts to taper off, so presumably you still get something until an even higher limit.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 24, 2020

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

75k in California is lower middle class anywhere near a city.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Repurpose dead malls into hospitals.

That's another good idea for quick renovations. Large enclosed indoor spaces surrounded with wide access and utility corridors. A heavy duty HVAC that's easy to modify. Lots of surfaces designed to be easy to clean. Lots of heavy duty plumbing and electrical running everywhere.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Seriously it all depends on cost of living. If you make 75k and live near the San Francisco Bay aren't you just barely scraping by?

Yes but $75k where I went to college would probably have you in a 2br house with a back yard and a new car out front.

It’s a step in the right direction but imo the $75k threshold is too low regardless of COL

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
75k after taxes would be 6400ish a month. Even if rent is $3k, you're still doing better than most poors with the remaining $3400.

Ceiling fan posted:

That's another good idea for quick renovations. Large enclosed indoor spaces surrounded with wide access and utility corridors. A heavy duty HVAC that's easy to modify. Lots of surfaces designed to be easy to clean. Lots of heavy duty plumbing and electrical running everywhere.

Yeah. It's an idea I heard floated a while back and it made perfect sense for localized VAs. Otherwise you have a bunch of $2.5bil hospitals being built because that's what they blew on Denver.

But yeah, make anchor stores into bed wards for different specialties. Leave the food court too, because no one likes hospital food. gently caress, make them medicare for all hospitals for all I care, poo poo has got to get better soon and we need to take shortcuts where available. Leave the hallmark shop too. The olds will flock to it anyhow because of the large indoor walking space, lotta fat old vets could use the exercise. Maybe hook up an actual exchange store inside so we don't have to search our cars for weed before heading on base for tax free goods.

Seriously, malls are a good model to build off of for the veteran community, and cheaper than building giant hospitals that legally can't be within some dumb distance from each other, like 130 miles. Stupid VA rules.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 24, 2020

bengy81
May 8, 2010

With three roommates and no car it's totally doable.

I was offered a job in SF a few years ago that paid 75k and I turned it down. It wasn't doable unless you wanted to live halfway between SF and Sacramento. At least that's what I saw, others might have a different experience.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

75k after taxes would be 6400ish a month. Even if rent is $3k, you're still doing better than most poors with the remaining $3400.

What? Do you not know how to do math?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

7500/12 is 6250/mo before taxes.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

So do we like public money given away to the well off or not?
Misread it, thought everyone had to pay. Was blinded by anger.

Doc Hawkins posted:

tbh this is a step in the right direction, at least they are giving money directly to non-corporate citizens, and are using cash rather than tax credits

but, of course, i do not have to hand it to them
Yeah, it's a step in the right direction, but it's not nearly enough, and it has to be recurring on a monthly basis.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woofer posted:

7500/12 is 6250/mo before taxes.

Before taxes might be a hint of how bad your math is. Also, add a 0 there.

After taxes, its like: $4,566

If your rent is $3k, that means you have about $1,500 to play with. Now subtract bills, assume at least $500 in bills, you have a bout $1k in liquidity. That's really not as much as you'd think.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Before taxes might be a hint of how bad your math is. Also, add a 0 there.

After taxes, its like: $4,566

My math was right but my typing wasn’t :eng99:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woofer posted:

My math was right but my typing wasn’t :eng99:

Now add bills, college debt, car payment, credit card debt....

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If the point is to stimulate the economy, loans to regular people are a weird way to do it. People hoard in bad times and they will hoard harder if they treat money as a loan rather than a freebie. If you think it's not right for people making 75k to get free money then you should tax them more when the economy comes back.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

What? Do you not know how to do math?

I'm a little stoned but I did say after tax.

Yeah, I'm a dumbass, but I was going on if you had 75k a year after taxes so like, what, 90k before?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 24, 2020

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would say the dead box stores too, but then you literally wind up in Kmart hospital care.

"Attention Doctors, Code blue light special on aisles 1-28"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Did they say what happened to Fauci? I had to peace out for dinner.

Also, it's fun having dinner every night together at the table with everyone.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Trump keeps interrupting whoever that woman is. I haven't been paying attention. Trump is a white noise machine. All I hear is static.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One thing to note: the payback only occurs if your 2020 salary is above the limit specifically. If you’re still making 6 figgies this year, you’re likely ok through this.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Did they say what happened to Fauci? I had to peace out for dinner.

Also, it's fun having dinner every night together at the table with everyone.

Only a British reporter had the balls to ask.

Pence whispered to Trump "he's at a Task Force meeting." So that's what Trump said. He said "he's at a meeting, up here we're not really talking about what he's an expert in." Uhhh, yeah you are.

He then said he'd have him up there again.

Who knows if that's a lie. Well.... it's probably a lie.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

One thing to note: the payback only occurs if your 2020 salary is above the limit specifically. If you’re still making 6 figgies this year, you’re likely ok through this.

Airlines make slightly more than 6 figgies a year, will they have to pay everything back next April 15th?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-republican-stimulus-bill-is-full-of-holes

From Robert Reich ( a pro follow on Facebook)

"Senate Republicans' proposed stimulus bill is a disaster. Here are its key failings:

1) It stipulates a one-time payment of up to $1,200 for every adult and $500 per child. How are people who lost their jobs supposed to pay their mortgages, rents, and bills for the foreseeable future with just this single check?

2) People are only eligible for this measly one-time payment unless their income is $23,500 or above — meaning the 64 million households with incomes *below* $50,000 would get even less, as little as $600 in some cases. That’s right: the people who need this money the most will get a smaller share.

3) It does not expand paid leave beyond the ridiculously insufficient two weeks mandated in the first emergency relief bill passed earlier this week, and does not reform the gaping loophole that exempts businesses with more than 500 employees.

4) It sets aside more than $200 billion for industries hurt by the pandemic, like airlines. The one stipulation? Companies that receive government loans would have to limit the pay of their senior executives. That’s it — no ban on stock buybacks, no minimum wage requirement, no worker or consumer protections.

I supposed I shouldn’t be surprised this bill aims to help the rich more than the poor and give a massive blank check to corporations — after all, these are the same Republicans who didn’t blink twice when they gave the wealthy and corporations a cool $2,000,000,000,000 in tax cuts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Only a British reporter had the balls to ask.

Pence whispered to Trump "he's at a Task Force meeting." So that's what Trump said. He said "he's at a meeting, up here we're not really talking about what he's an expert in." Uhhh, yeah you are.

He then said he'd have him up there again.

Who knows if that's a lie. Well.... it's probably a lie.

Thanks!