Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

IDK, not so much in the immediate term, but in the long term I am suuuuuper duper concerned that things never even get to the point of going back to normal, let alone being the jumping off point to smash capitalism that we're all hoping for. Giving the police even more sweeping stop-and-search powers, taking absolute control over everyone's movements, and NORMALISING that... is pretty scary.

I'd've been a lot less scared if they hadn't waited until it was politically convenient.

Jesus that's a snipe.

197 is the smalled prime number that is the sum of 7 consecutive prime numbers.

I get you. It’s all pretty scary. My body is a wreck so I’m still more concerned about not catching it. Read a news report that told me it’s ‘when not if’ I catch it. Thanks random news article.

198 is a boring and uneventful number.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Julio Cruz posted:

it was 2580, which was a) common knowledge to every current and former Domino's driver and probably every taxi driver too and b) exceptionally obvious from looking at the wear on the keypad at the gate

e: there were a few more key codes like that that everyone knew, I'm pretty sure I can still remember the code for the complex at the Exe Bridges end of Bonhay Road opposite the gym because it was a famous date

When I worked at F&C in Exchange House, London (amazing wierd looking building with a suspension exoskeleton rather than full foundations) the inside of the cargo lift had the codes for all the floors written on it with marker pen, over and over again as security guards for different companies would notice and cross off their company's codes, or the codes would change, and then the delivery people would update the lift.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

EvilHawk posted:

My kitchen light died tonight. I need to go to B&Q tomorrow to get a new one. gently caress knows if it's going to be open.

Hardware stores are on the will be open list. You might find all the staff go gently caress that and don’t turn up though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I guess they stop you in your car for being a traveller, impound your car, follow you to the bus stop where you congregate with more than one other person then arrest you all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

it was 2580, which was a) common knowledge to every current and former Domino's driver and probably every taxi driver too and b) exceptionally obvious from looking at the wear on the keypad at the gate

e: there were a few more key codes like that that everyone knew, I'm pretty sure I can still remember the code for the complex at the Exe Bridges end of Bonhay Road opposite the gym because it was a famous date

2580 is one of the standard factory codes for those locks and the fiddliness of changing them often means if it's changed at all it's normally just the first digit, and the mechanism means numbers can't be used twice, so 1580 and 3580 will work for most of them.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Hardware stores are on the will be open list. You might find all the staff go gently caress that and don’t turn up though

All B&Q stores will be shut tomorrow (24th) to ensure they can provide only essential items going forward:

https://www.diy.com/customer-support/#icamp=HP_Hero_customersupport

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Should locksmiths self isolate? My mate's one and seems to think he's a key worker.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Should locksmiths self isolate?

To be fair if anyone would seem to have the skillset it's them...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Azza Bamboo posted:

Should locksmiths self isolate? My mate's one and seems to think he's a key worker.

booo yay

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Azza Bamboo posted:

A lot of people like that provide services that will be key. When people get their doors smashed in by toilet roll looters they can't just not get a locksmith.

Same goes for electricians, plumbers and the guy who flicks the switch to turn on the broadband.

e: :negative:

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

peanut- posted:

Blame the FCA they've labelled just about every job in financial services as a "key worker" because full adherence to FCA regulations is much more important than some piddly pandemic.

Wow, actually hadn't seen this (shows how much I give a poo poo about my job). We handle PPI complaints - which is obviously something completely non imperative at the moment but I suppose could fall under any number of those descriptions.

Wouldn't want the banks to have to pay a bit more interest on the money they stole years ago though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bleak lol that it looks like America is going to overtake us as the 'what not to do' country after all.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
The sons of the pub landlord up the road came round with beer in plastic containers for the neighbourhood saying it'd go off otherwise... Would be rude not to!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
It's loving lol that when poo poo gets real everyone tactitly admits 90% of the actually essential jobs are the low paid ones with workers that get treated like poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

It's loving lol that when poo poo gets real everyone tactitly admits 90% of the actually essential jobs are the low paid ones with workers that get treated like poo poo.

There were Tory MPs outright saying Priti pritel needed to reassess the immigration points system we are intending to use based on who it turns out it's actually important.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Wayfaring Stranger posted:

The sons of the pub landlord up the road came round with beer in plastic containers for the neighbourhood saying it'd go off otherwise... Would be rude not to!

There's a local pub that had a really wanky overpriced homebrew thing out back and they did the same thing this afternoon, they literally were ringing a bell and it's like yeah fair play that is based and breadpilled.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Those stay in for 12 week emails started going out today I think. And look like this.

Lol that you can opt out

Would have been nice if they'd got that to me before I caught the loving thing.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a straight answer out of anyone on whether there's anything I need to be doing now I've got it, or looking out for particularly. Like, the fact I still have shortness of breath. All the advice is on how not to get it, or running through the same drat checklist that says either "go to hospital" if your lips are turning blue or "isolate" if not. No information about complications for immunosuppressed people at all.

I mean, I get it, I didn't catch it and immediately die, so in that sense I should count my blessings and I do, but it just feels like every fucker is winging it completely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There were Tory MPs outright saying Priti pritel needed to reassess the immigration points system we are intending to use based on who it turns out it's actually important.
But not the pay that they actually got :thunk:

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Presumably they're the fuckers crowding onto the DLR to Canary Wharf in the morning because all of the actual banks up there bugged out last week.

Call centre staff for motor and home insurers also. I work for a big insurer, investing fraud. I'm isolating until the 31st anyway but if by that point we're recording deaths in the hundreds every day, I'll hand in my cards before going back to an air conditioned office with 200 people per floor. I can get another job but not another set of lungs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The collision of the racist right with the capitalist right in this kind of way is always good for a lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

Like, the fact I still have shortness of breath.

Real talk if you're staying inside and feeling anxious address those first, do like a deep clean of your place and try to be chill and relax for a few days.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dog Pipes posted:

Call centre staff for motor and home insurers also. I work for a big insurer, investing fraud.

Mate they're inside the room.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Morrisons delivery slots for 21 days time become available in 7 mins, they will be gone in 8.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oliver's seen right through the communist conspiracy of having an adequate number of doctors

https://twitter.com/OliverKamm/status/1242017485542563841

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Cuban Battery Farmed Doctor

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Morrisons delivery slots for 21 days time become available in 7 mins, they will be gone in 8.

The website is down.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Necrothatcher posted:

oh god my co-workers are being macho and saying they're going to go into the office anyway - despite being told by the higher-ups that they shouldn't come in.

One of my team did this last week, claiming that they weren't high risk so it wasn't necessary to do anything.
This morning they rung in to say they're not leaving the house for the next 12 weeks because it turns out their partner is high risk. How this escaped their notice until now is beyond me.
If we want them to continue working we need to get a PC to their house, 90 minutes drive from the office.
Some people are such loving muppets.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dog Pipes posted:

Call centre staff for motor and home insurers also. I work for a big insurer, investing fraud. I'm isolating until the 31st anyway but if by that point we're recording deaths in the hundreds every day, I'll hand in my cards before going back to an air conditioned office with 200 people per floor. I can get another job but not another set of lungs.

Are you not set up to make/receive calls from home?

My place has managed to get it working so the phone lines are open three hours a day and everyone answering is in their underwear or under their duvet.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

stev posted:

Are you not set up to make/receive calls from home?

My place has managed to get it working so the phone lines are open three hours a day and everyone answering is in their underwear or under their duvet.

Planning was shite. Firm selected 20 people in an experiment for frontline staff to wfh, then the entire network crashed when those 20 logged on at 8am the following day. That was on the 13th of this month. Since then people have been dropping out of work to the extent where frontline are not working shifts or weekends, and on a 9-5 schedule. No more laptops have been issued.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Oliver's seen right through the communist conspiracy of having an adequate number of doctors

https://twitter.com/OliverKamm/status/1242017485542563841

Shamelessly clout chasing reposting my pretty decent reply to the original post:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1242095979073089539

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Arch-twats Mike Ashley and Tim Martin are having a competition tonight to see who gets the guillotine first. The bloated avarice elemental is arguing that sports equipment is essential now that more people can exercise. He should therefore be able to keep all his shops open for the good of the public.

Meanwhile Father Jack's uglier brother has decreed that Wetherspoons 37k+ staff won't receive any further pay effective as of the 22nd. Any due bonuses are on hold and they're not paying out anything under the 80% scheme until they recieve the cash from the government. Which is likely weeks away.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

xtothez posted:

Arch-twats Mike Ashley and Tim Martin are having a competition tonight to see who gets the guillotine first. The bloated avarice elemental is arguing that sports equipment is essential now that more people can exercise. He should therefore be able to keep all his shops open for the good of the public.

Meanwhile Father Jack's uglier brother has decreed that Wetherspoons 37k+ staff won't receive any further pay effective as of the 22nd. Any due bonuses are on hold and they're not paying out anything under the 80% scheme until they recieve the cash from the government. Which is likely weeks away.

Absolute twats, both of them

I've boycotted Wetherspoons ever since the prick campaigned so loudly and irritatingly for Brexit and as for Sports Direct, I last used them well over a decade ago.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Bleak lol that it looks like America is going to overtake us as the 'what not to do' country after all.

What are the cliff notes on this? The opening the economy back up tonight poo poo obviously, but any other hilarious (terrifying) points?

Profanity fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 24, 2020

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm never going in a Spoons again unless I'm too drunk to stop myself. Never been in a Sports Direct before but the same rule applies.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Some of my family members were still going to work today so I'm happy to see that insanity finally nipped in the bud. My brother works at specsavers and they had an insane plan to split their workforce into 3 rotating shifts and stay open through the pandemic. Now they're shut except for 'emergency work'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Someone on Twitter described him as looking like a homeless Thundercat and I've not been able to unsee it since.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

xtothez posted:

Meanwhile Father Jack's uglier brother has decreed that Wetherspoons 37k+ staff won't receive any further pay effective as of the 22nd. Any due bonuses are on hold

Um loving excuse me.

That cannot be loving true.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
spoons is unfortunately much like amazon to me in that it's awful and I hate myself for using it but it's just so damned affordable and efficient and I drink far too much to make nice bars a viable option

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

Some of my family members were still going to work today so I'm happy to see that insanity finally nipped in the bud. My brother works at specsavers and they had an insane plan to split their workforce into 3 rotating shifts and stay open through the pandemic. Now they're shut except for 'emergency work'.

This is another of those weird marginal "essential" things. Presumably "emergency work" is repairs/replacement glasses? Breaking my glasses right now would be that Twilight Zone episode (well not really, I've got a spare set but they're a prescription old and give me eyestrain, or a pair of sunglasses).

Also what about disposable contacts? I know there's postal services for them but I know a few people who still pick them up from the opticians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

spoons is unfortunately much like amazon to me in that it's awful and I hate myself for using it but it's just so damned affordable and efficient and I drink far too much to make nice bars a viable option

The Wetherspoons is also the only even vaguely acceptable pub in Canary Wharf if I can't drag outsiders down to one of the few remaining pubs not lost to property developers on the rest of the Island.