Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Exactly- it’s the kind of thing that maybe a game now might take into account, but as far as games made in 2000 go, not so much.

In Thief 2 in the bank mission, apparently the vault opens after 8 hours of game time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

The Hengsha level of Human Revolutions takes place during the day, it's just that since you spend most of it under the pizza

That's a big pizza.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

The Hengsha level of Human Revolutions takes place during the day, it’s just that since you spend most of it under the pizza you only see the sun during a single elevator scene at the end.

funicular*

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

dishwasherlove posted:

In Thief 2 in the bank mission, apparently the vault opens after 8 hours of game time.

It does. I've let it happen more than once.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Can't spell funicular without 'fun'!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I thought the funicular (inclinator, actually) was in Montreal :v:

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry_Ed posted:

I thought the funicular (inclinator, actually) was in Montreal :v:

ask Pritcher

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

dishwasherlove posted:

Total game time, or in that mission specifically? If the latter, I don't have that much patience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Knowing Thief, it'll be realtime. It's one of those touches appropriate to the game and era. You're not supposed to that patient, the entire mission is trying to open it during the night shift, it's an easter egg.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Total game time, or in that mission specifically? If the latter, I don't have that much patience.

In the mission specifically.

Keep in mind that finishing the level on Expert normally can take 2.5-3ish hours if you don't already know where to go for all the objectives/loot.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Stick with the stick.

Prod with the prod.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Why contain it?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Warning: Old men.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So I might want to replay this soon. What are some good mods that don't make the game harder but are fun to replay the game with? So far I know of Biomod and Shifter.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilitarist posted:

Why contain it?

S'cool

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blackguy32 posted:

So I might want to replay this soon. What are some good mods that don't make the game harder but are fun to replay the game with? So far I know of Biomod and Shifter.

The other name that comes often is Give Me Deus Ex.

Oh, and there's Revision but consensus is that it's not very good, what with putting quantity above quality and style above substance. Still might be worth one playthrough if you know the original levels too much so you want to have some changes, even if they're kinda ill-fitting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blackguy32 posted:

Oh hey - for one, GMDX is actually an appropriate recommendation. Tons of... challenge.

Biomod and Shifter make the game better, but not really more challenging.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think you totally misread what he's asking for and are recommending the opposite things?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i didn't play gmdx 8.0, but i did play 9.0. i thought it was good, but also lots of silly rebalancing. i.e., the laser lets you rip headshots even when untrained and the fully upgraded nanosword destroys like 80% of the doors in the game

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

someone else made gmdx v10, which reverts a bunch of changes back to vanilla while introducing other changes. its the most vanilla like out of the bunch

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10-community-update

revision can be installed in steam for free, worth a try, its all new maps. all 3 of these mods can coexist on the same system BTW

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Serephina posted:

I think you totally misread what he's asking for and are recommending the opposite things?

I looked into it and apparently gmdx has difficulty settings? I'll probably just tone down what I need to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i didn't play gmdx 8.0, but i did play 9.0. i thought it was good, but also lots of silly rebalancing. i.e., the laser lets you rip headshots even when untrained and the fully upgraded nanosword destroys like 80% of the doors in the game

That sounds like it just reverted those back to how they were in vanilla DX.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That sounds like it just reverted those back to how they were in vanilla DX.

in GMDX the laser stays put in the middle of the screen, making it easy to use. in vanilla it would dance around inside the target reticule, so if you are untrained, it doesn't help as much as it does in GMDX v9

in GMDX v10, they keep the laser in the middle, but an untrained JC can still flub the trigger pull and miss shots even if the player's aim is good

i dont think the nano sword could break down as many doors in vanilla, but i could be wrong

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In Vanilla the Dragon's Tooth is pretty much a universal lock pick on any breakable door by late-game if you have half decent melee and the combat strength aug. So I've always played like that. GMDX from what I recall, splits the damage from sword hits into 3 separate hits. So you'll fail the damage check on heavier doors.

I really wish someone would make a mod that expanded some of the late game maps. Vandenberg, Sea Lab, and Missile Silo are all too rushed. You should get more time to play with the stuff you've acquired by that point.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Missile solo map is pretty 1-1 replica of a Titan II solo tbh, not much to do in way of expanding it :P

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

in GMDX the laser stays put in the middle of the screen, making it easy to use. in vanilla it would dance around inside the target reticule

Only if you also put a scope on.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I really wish someone would make a mod that expanded some of the late game maps. Vandenberg, Sea Lab, and Missile Silo are all too rushed. You should get more time to play with the stuff you've acquired by that point.

I love Vandenberg; but I think the issue is that you are so powerful by that point. If you play that map as though you're a starting character, it'd be a long and difficult challenge. Instead the map becomes "How am I going to show these silly intruders what a big mistake they made?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like Revision a lot, especially more than GMDX.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

aniviron posted:

I love Vandenberg; but I think the issue is that you are so powerful by that point. If you play that map as though you're a starting character, it'd be a long and difficult challenge. Instead the map becomes "How am I going to show these silly intruders what a big mistake they made?"

I always seem to do both whenever I arrive at Vandenber. I just can't shake the habit of sneaking about, so I spend far too much time avoiding aggro, then usually sometime around when I go outside the penny drops and I just start turning on all the augs and go ham. Those poor poor warbots =(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

I like Revision a lot, especially more than GMDX.

I have the opposite opinion. Let's fight.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have the opposite opinion. Let's fight.

I like both and the Nameless mod. You two fight it out and I'll rumble with the loser (because they'll be weaker).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
But I like Nameless Mod too! I'll hold his arms and you punch him in the stomach

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

But I like Nameless Mod too! I'll hold his arms and you punch him in the stomach

I'd rather just play Deus Ex.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Just give me Deus Ex.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Do y’all know what today is?

It’s the decennial of the Deux Ex Decennial thread.

I feel old now. Gonna go reinstall Deus Ex.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't bring myself to uninstall it. It's just so small.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I can't bring myself to uninstall it. It's just so small.

I just never installed it on this computer. I think it might be on my desktop but I’m currently exiled to my bedroom on account of having coronavirusGrey Death so I’ll have to set it up on my laptop. Gonna have to find a way to get a mouse plugged in and working comfortably without a desk.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Trackpad challenge mode initiated.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Oooh I still vividly remember a playthrough I did with a laptop on a box when we had to move into a new smaller house and I did the whole game in about 40 hours straight to cheer myself up. You can do okay with a trackpad but your fingers might cramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Oooh I still vividly remember a playthrough I did with a laptop on a box when we had to move into a new smaller house and I did the whole game in about 40 hours straight to cheer myself up. You can do okay with a trackpad but your fingers might cramp.

Lucius Debeers says he's cold.