Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Storage is cheap and that data _might_ be useful in the future. You don’t need to look any further than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Feral Integral posted:

I think you are conflating some things here. Not all machine learning works like ganns or stuff goes in the black box stuff comes out.

The point is people can extrapolate a lot of things you might not realize from data points that dont necessarily seem related. Even if they are using a black box gan or something to generate marketing campaigns/target audiences its easy to verify the results through a little cheap a/b testing and then just select the ones that work.
I've yet to see any machine learning that has managed to remotely comprehend basic things though. Amazon dumps literal billions into their algorithms that see that I bought one size of air filter and spams me with ads for the wrong size because apparently people constantly replace their unit so they need different sizes every month.

Spotify/pandora have never managed to find me music relevant to my interests no matter how long I spent trying to train it.

Youtube has the closest thing to "success" in that it's given up and just recommends I watch what my subs put out recently. I mostly find new content from collaborations.

Twitter (and facebook before I deleted it) do nothing but annoy me when they revert to "algorithmic" content instead of newest because it manages to be less relevant than just picking random items from my friends in the last 72 hours.

These are the apex of the vaunted algorithm so I strongly suspect that no matter what they tell to marketing about their ad targeting they're just blowing smoke up their rear end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always lol at Amazon constantly recommending different versions of everything I have ever bought there.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

withak posted:

I always lol at Amazon constantly recommending different versions of everything I have ever bought there.

"Ah! I see you purchased a rearview mirror for your car last week. After analyzing your entire history of purchasing habits, I have determined you would like ANOTHER rearview mirror!"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Amazon's algorithm is really optimized for collectors of toilet seat covers, and it's the fault of the rest of us that we don't buy such high margin items nearly as often.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

endlessmonotony posted:

Amazon's algorithm is really optimized for collectors of sex toys, specialized lubricants, and hentai manga, and it's the fault of the rest of us that we don't buy such high margin items nearly as often.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
All the amazon devs that arent trash work on the AWS side.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Truth, we had an AWS guy come in and give us a 2 day AWS 101 course. The course itself was poo poo but dude knew AWS and Linux front and back and we probably got more out of the random questions we tossed him for 30 min/day than the other 7:30.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

vaguely posted:

hell even a few years back, marketing algorithms were already 'figuring out' that people were pregnant before they themselves knew and advertising a bunch of baby poo poo at them
easy to see how that can go bad for someone in hell world whether they're actually pregnant or the dumb robot got it wrong
abusive partners / parents / employers spotting the diaper ads on your phone and circling round going YOU WHOOOOORE

lol the only source for that is an advertising guy, what's more likely, that they have a magical algorithm that easily detects pregnancy through target purchases, or that a marketing guy LIED to sell marketing services

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Golgafrincham

It is a planet with an ancient and mysterious history, rich in legend, red, and occasionally green with the blood of those who sought in times gone by to conquer her; a land of parched and barren landscapes, of sweet and sultry air heady with the scent of the perfumed springs that trickle over its hot and dusty rocks and nourish the dark and musty lichens beneath; a land of fevered brows and intoxicated imaginings, particularly amongst those who taste the lichens; a land also of cool and shaded thoughts amongst those who have learnt to foreswear the lichens and find a tree to sit beneath; a land also of steel and blood and heroism; a land of the body and of the spirit. This was its history.

And in all this ancient and mysterious history, the most mysterious figures of all were without doubt those of the Great Circling Poets of Arium. These Circling Poets used to live in remote mountain passes where they would lie in wait for small bands of unwary travellers, circle round them, and throw rocks at them.

And when the travellers cried out, saying why didn't they go away and get on with writing some poems instead of pestering people with all this rock-throwing business, they would suddenly stop, and then break into one of the seven hundred and ninety-four great Song Cycles of Vassilian. These songs were all of extraordinary beauty, and even more extraordinary length, and all fell into exactly the same pattern.

The first part of each song would tell how there once went forth from the City of Vassilian a party of five sage princes with four horses. The princes, who are of course brave, noble and wise, travel widely in distant lands, fought giant ogres, pursue exotic philosophies, take tea with weird gods and rescue beautiful monsters from ravening princesses before finally announcing that they have achieved enlightenment and that their wanderings are therefore accomplished.

The second, and much longer, part of each song would then tell of all their bickerings about which one of them is going to have to walk back.

All this lay in the planet's remote past. It was, however, a descendant of one of these eccentric poets who invented the spurious tales of impending doom which enabled the people of Golgafrincham to rid themselves of an entire useless third of their population. The other two-thirds stayed firmly at home and lived full, rich and happy lives until they were all suddenly wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Harik posted:

I've yet to see any machine learning that has managed to remotely comprehend basic things though.

👌

If some yall itt truely want to be irresponsible with your data cause pandoras basic suggestion algo sucks, go for it

Feral Integral has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Mar 23, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Goon Boots posted:

"Ah! I see you purchased a rearview mirror for your car last week. After analyzing your entire history of purchasing habits, I have determined you would like ANOTHER rearview mirror!"

This.

I can't entirely blame them, like anyone else with two neurons to rub together in their head, I disabled all the other histories, so they can't (or shouldn't) be based suggestions off what I click on (or get linked to (sometimes comedically)).

And if they ARE still watching what I click on (or get linked to (sometimes comedically)) they do a real good job of not showing it.

And then I adblock all the rest, so.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Tunicate posted:

lol the only source for that is an advertising guy, what's more likely, that they have a magical algorithm that easily detects pregnancy through target purchases, or that a marketing guy LIED to sell marketing services

yeah that's true
some algorithm guessing that she's pregnant is still gonna get some lady beat by her lovely boyfriend whether it's right or not

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harik posted:

Spotify/pandora have never managed to find me music relevant to my interests no matter how long I spent trying to train it.
Pandora found me a band I loving love now, from other bands I like. Once. In 2007.

I only say this because I have literally never heard anyone else even have that meager level of success with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pandora found me a band I loving love now, from other bands I like. Once. In 2007.

I only say this because I have literally never heard anyone else even have that meager level of success with it.

I'll admit it, Spotify's been wonderful for me discovering music but I'll attribute it almost entirely to how I went about it. Like everyone I had a library of music that I'd ripped, then expanded, then moved to a cloud service which was Google Music since I could upload my library. Google decides to go to YouTube Music which, at least when they made the announcement, was probably the worst software I'd ever used. My wife had a Spotify account already which she made into a family plan and I joined that.

When I did, I had a playlist of about sixty tracks I'd been listening to on Google Music. I usually did that, got into a pattern of listening to the same small group of tracks for a couple months so I recreated that playlist and listened to that for about two weeks until I started getting Discover Weeklys. Then I'd like what I liked that week and waited for the next week. Each Discover Weekly has 30 tracks, I'll like none on a bad week and maybe ten on a good week but it didn't take long to get enough new (to me) tracks to replace the old 60 track playlist where I'll be happy to put that on after going through that week's Discover Weekly a couple times. I don't like that it isn't very consistent, some weeks still have no tracks I like, but it usually has one or two which is enough to grow my library and discover new poo poo.

I have no doubt that if I liked a wider variety of genres or had listened to a lot of my old library before it started recommending poo poo that it would not have worked. The only reason I find it useful is because I had a good seeding playlist from which I did not deviate and I make sure I don't listen to anything too far outside of the genres that narrowly define my recommendations. If you told me I'm the only person it works for I'd believe you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Haven't used Pandora since like 2008, but

I had my demos set up honestly, 20 year old man, and the ads I got were upcoming tours and albums for bands that were on the playlist (mostly metal). So, genuinely helpful.

I got bored and switched the setting a 16 year old girl. Same music, but ads were almost 100% wedding stuff.

Got bored again and set it to 100 year old woman, same music, all ads for SUVs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you have a fever, you are unlikely to enjoy speedmetal.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i have a friend who works in amazons subscribe and save dept
they regularly track items people add to their list for the discount then remove after they get the first one
they do this because those are items that people do not want to subscribe to, they just want the discount
this led to him having to remove all cockrings from subscribe and save
he says they didnt have to do the same with pocket pussies because people were continuing to order more every month

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duz posted:

i have a friend who works in amazons subscribe and save dept
they regularly track items people add to their list for the discount then remove after they get the first one
they do this because those are items that people do not want to subscribe to, they just want the discount
this led to him having to remove all cockrings from subscribe and save
he says they didnt have to do the same with pocket pussies because people were continuing to order more every month

how do they decide to add cock rings to the list of items you can subscribe to in the first place

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

all items are automatically assumed eligible when they meet supply/fulfillment criteria because amazon depends heavily on the algorithm
then humans check after the fact for mistakes

duz has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Mar 23, 2020

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duz posted:

all items are automatically assumed eligible when they meet supply/fulfillment criteria because amazon depends heavily on the algorithm
then humans check after the fact for mistakes

maybe it's just me but i order plenty of random things on amazon that don't have a subscribe and save option

the ones that do are ofte the kind of thing i might want to subscribe to, except that the quantities in the package are almost never aligned to the available delivery frequencies. if i gotta micromanage deliveries whats the point?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/police-in-paris-arrest-man-wearing-mechanical-hidden-wrist-blades-a4146586.html

https://twitter.com/RebeccaRambar/status/1130105410684358659

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

tag yourselves, I'm the velco straps.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao those blades are on ikea drawer rails

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

taqueso posted:

If you have a fever, you are unlikely to enjoy speedmetal.

What if you have a fever for more speedmetal?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

The Bloop posted:

Just like Grandpa Bickle made!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Crow Buddy posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nothing is true, everything is permitted, with Ikeas Tärfelsnorb Drawer Rails.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The Bloop posted:

Not just on, but I think they are part of the drawer assembly. Just ground down and presumably sharpened.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Inceltown posted:

What if you have a fever for more speedmetal?

everyone knows the algorithm is wrong half the time 90% of the time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Buddy posted:

Not just on, but I think they are part of the drawer assembly. Just ground down and presumably sharpened.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Is it safe?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Crow Buddy posted:

I'm the rubber band-based deployment mechanism

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Mar 24, 2020

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm the rubber band-based deployment mechanism

honestly impressed he didn't stab himself in the hand before getting arrested

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Crow Buddy posted:

im the tactical garden trawl

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

honestly impressed he didn't stab himself in the hand before getting arrested

You must sacrifice a finger to wear the assassin's blade

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

Isn't that just her being an idiot and buying a app based thermometer and being surprised when she needs an app for it to work? I got an aquarium light that requires an app to work, are they spying on my fish?

And what biometric is this supposed to steal from her, her average temperature? I can understand if it wants your ssn, bank account, pin, fingerprint and face before it works, but come on.

She's an idiot.

every app steals all of your information moron https://twitter.com/awesomonster/status/1081820267834273798?lang=en

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1242102048851664905
Death Stranding was a documentary :stonk:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/AndrewCesare/status/1242174265547468803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I mean the end-game of successful organised crime is replacing the government for monopoly of force, so it makes sense.