Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Have you tried to , you know, reboot Windows? Just in case.

edit: Also, I will repeat myself from the previous page: Be sure you don't supersample in both Oculus and SteamVR, as the effect will be multiplicative. Turn off any supersampling option in SteamVR.

Reset both Quest and PC. Is there more than one supersampling option? I disabled the one I could find in the general video settings in SteamVR and if the only supersample option for Oculus is through the debug program in files than I have that just at the default settings. Game is still stuttering around no matter what in game graphics I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Gtx 1080 mate here, with a small factory OC, it defaulted to High for me. I moved it to ultra because gently caress the police and it works fine (well maaaybe 2 super brief slowdowns in 70 minutes of play).
I have a amd 3700x, maybe that's the difference?

Could be. I have an i5-4670K, so that could very well be a bottleneck. I plan to do a full rebuild later this year when the RTX 3XXX series is out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Do you have to buy Virtual desktop twice? Once on the quest and once on the PC?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
No, just buy the quest one, but don't install it from the Oculus store. Sideload the version from sidequest and install the VD streaming software on the pc.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

urgh rift S issues with DisplayPort which I know is perfectly fine. Just when I finally want to play something.
Time to spend the morning troubleshooting..

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Me playing half-life 2 16 years ago: Why can't I use something to block the headcrabs?

Me playing half-life alyx today: These buckets loving own headcrabs aint poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One complaint on Alyx though is that there doesn't seem to be any system in place for attacking enemies with stuff that you can grab. I tried beating a zombie with a pole but nothing came of it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bad Munki posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm on a 1070. I guess we'll see, and if need be, I get to order a Corona Special
Yea I’m on a 1070 as well and Alyx is a bit dicey. I’m a little bummed.

Tip posted:

Nvidia released new drivers for Alyx today, if you haven't upgraded yet it's probably worth trying.
I’ll try this tomorrow though and cross my fingers.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Leal posted:

One complaint on Alyx though is that there doesn't seem to be any system in place for attacking enemies with stuff that you can grab. I tried beating a zombie with a pole but nothing came of it.

I found this very frustrating because there's no melee weapon (at least so far) and I keep running out of ammo. I've just been running past a lot of enemies.

How you gonna make a VR game with no melee?

Aside from a few issues like that I'm really enjoying it, but I'm definitely looking forward to mods to add running, jumping, and melee combat.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Puddin posted:

No, just buy the quest one, but don't install it from the Oculus store. Sideload the version from sidequest and install the VD streaming software on the pc.

Thanks, working great for skyrim(my benchmark for lovely hard to run games) so I can play without motion sickness!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tip posted:

How you gonna make a VR game with no melee?

YES! THIS!

There's bricks and pipes everywhere. Why the heck can I not beat enemies to death?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

RFC2324 posted:

Thanks, working great for skyrim(my benchmark for lovely hard to run games) so I can play without motion sickness!

Enjoy!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quest users, does anyone have any recommendations for face inserts? I just played 2 hours of Alyx straight and the default one presses a ton on my forehead and the material just isn't that comfortable. It would also be nice to have something that doesn't absorb sweat.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sigher posted:

Quest users, does anyone have any recommendations for face inserts? I just played 2 hours of Alyx straight and the default one presses a ton on my forehead and the material just isn't that comfortable. It would also be nice to have something that doesn't absorb sweat.

I've found that playing with a fan on in the room helps.

Because I bought one of the inserts off of amazon and it sucked.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This upcoming HP headset... With the Index turning a year old very soon, what are the chances this is going to be a defacto successor?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

spacetoaster posted:

I've found that playing with a fan on in the room helps.

Because I bought one of the inserts off of amazon and it sucked.

I like using a fan too as it also gives you orientation in the room without having to sneak a peak here and there.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

RFC2324 posted:

Do you have to buy Virtual desktop twice? Once on the quest and once on the PC?

No on PC you just need the Streamer app.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Puddin posted:

I like using a fan too as it also gives you orientation in the room without having to sneak a peak here and there.

Thats what asymmetric guardians are for

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn Alyx loving owns oh my lord I just need smooth turning and I’m set

And then I get to the second level and it’s called QUARANTINE ZONE and I had to take a break

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Taintrunner posted:

Goddamn Alyx loving owns oh my lord I just need smooth turning and I’m set

And then I get to the second level and it’s called QUARANTINE ZONE and I had to take a break

the little dialogue about the etymology of 'quarantine' and its italian origins.... mama mia :kiss:

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Does the game maintain 1:1 when you're moving physics objects or does it adjust your input I.E. do you whip around a big heavy pipe like a 1/4 lb wiimote?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Combat Pretzel posted:

This upcoming HP headset... With the Index turning a year old very soon, what are the chances this is going to be a defacto successor?

Successor perhaps or more likely an option to viably meet the demand for a premium experience but unless something else comes along I suppose that's what it will end up being if it out-specs Index. P cool to see HP, Valve and MS colab to make it a good experience. Reverb's res with Valve's optics and BMR headphones along with better controllers and a streamlined Steam/WMR experience in a lightweight hmd at a reasonable pricepoint by a company that is an experienced manufacturer would own bones

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
What is the best SteamVR desktop overlay program again? I know somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread. I'm looking for whatever is closest to the ease of use of Oculus Dash 2.0. Thanks in advance.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

lurker2006 posted:

Does the game maintain 1:1 when you're moving physics objects or does it adjust your input I.E. do you whip around a big heavy pipe like a 1/4 lb wiimote?

Some objects can only be lightly moved with one hand and require two hands to properly move.

That being said moving bodies is buggy and lovely, kinda disappointing.

Also the fact that there is no melee weapons is really really surprising.

All of that being said, it is excellent, not without problems, but a seriously strong showing.

Spoiler for I think the second mission: Quarantine is loving awesome and literally terriyfing. The flashlight is awesome, if you use a two handed pistol grip the flashlight automatically shines where the pistol is pointing.

Tons of little touches. There are still some rough edges but this should become the gold standard for how to do a lot of VR stuff.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

lurker2006 posted:

There's a subtle amount of non 1:1 stuff done, but you don't have to worry much about whipping pipes around because they can't hurt the enemies.

It's actually a little jankier than I expected, the first health machine I opened up caught my left hand inside of it and it took me a minute to figure out why I no longer had a left hand. Had to wriggle it out from the machinery it was caught in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Thoatse posted:

Successor perhaps or more likely an option to viably meet the demand for a premium experience but unless something else comes along I suppose that's what it will end up being if it out-specs Index. P cool to see HP, Valve and MS colab to make it a good experience. Reverb's res with Valve's optics and BMR headphones along with better controllers and a streamlined Steam/WMR experience in a lightweight hmd at a reasonable pricepoint by a company that is an experienced manufacturer would own bones

I don't think it'll be a successor, personally. Half the Index's reason for existing was as a reference HDK, so I think we're more likely to see something "merely" good display-wise, that still has the surround audio setup, for a saner price. Valve being involved probably means it's gonna have Lighthouse tracking at least.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, but it's called Reverb G2. And the previous one had 2K per eye. This or more with the Index optics (or similar) would be kinda nice. Ideally more. I still keep wanting 50% more pixels in each direction for virtual desktopping.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can wear a bucket on your head in Alyx. Seems useful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

Try walking under a Barnacle.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Taintrunner posted:

You can wear respirators and hardhats too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Guys

I crawled into this cage and shut the door as a joke

and now I can't open it from the inside

it is a very good joke

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have an AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GTX 1070 w/ latest drivers. I'm using an Oculus Quest headset with the official Link cable. Both my Quest and my Oculus Home are on version 14 (I am not on the PTU channel). I am running SteamVR 1.10.32. My "Render Resolution" is AUTO and my Advanced Supersample Filtering is OFF. I've disabled SteamVR Home so I only have the VR Dashboard.

I don't have any performance problems. Half-Life: Alyx works fine without any stuttering for me.

I've noticed that stuttering will sometimes happen in Quest + Link when you aren't reaching the 72 Hz and it kicks into ASW. Try looking at the game performance. Try with newer GPU drivers and different versions of SteamVR.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try walking under a Barnacle.

Make sure you explode/shoot every Barnacle you see actually they have goodies

I think Alyx looks incredible, but I think Boneworks has it beat somewhat as far as combat options. The garbage can lid shield, dual wielding, better melee options; all that stuff is lacking and it drives me nuts when you’re facing down stuff like armored headcrabs you have to shoot in the mouth, which really kicks my adrenaline into high gear. Absolute fuckers.

Still a cute story and pretty fun.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

After turning off steam VR auto resolution I can now run Alyx at ultra settings on my 980ti. That is one hella optimized game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Atmosphere in Alyx is great but it does like every single immersion breaking VR thing I hate :/

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Tip posted:

After turning off steam VR auto resolution I can now run Alyx at ultra settings on my 980ti. That is one hella optimized game.

Can you tell me how to do this? I have a 1080ti and I want to try running it on the very highest and see if i can st ill hit 144hz. Speaking of, how can I tell if I am hitting 144hz?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

Atmosphere in Alyx is great but it does like every single immersion breaking VR thing I hate :/

I'd be interested to hear the list. I'm guessing the way you switch guns is one of them along with only being to jump or move quickly with the teleport/dash.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Skyarb posted:

Can you tell me how to do this? I have a 1080ti and I want to try running it on the very highest and see if i can st ill hit 144hz. Speaking of, how can I tell if I am hitting 144hz?

Launch steam VR on your desktop, click on settings, in the first screen there it says render resolution and by default that is set to auto, switch it to custom and then set the per eye resolution to 100%.

Note: I'm running on Rift S and this is what works well for me, not sure if being on index affects this at all. I don't know anything about working with 144hz.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I played an hour of Alyx before I had to do WFH, and it's pretty good aside from some minor annoyances. It's VERY clearly built around Teleport first, because there's no jumping and trying to crouch under anything involves rubbing against a wall until you just blink through to the other side. These are all the things several of us complained would happen with a game built around Teleporting as its main method instead of just having it as an option.

Also, why is the inventory fixed to a single hand? There's zero reason you shouldn't be able to toggle inventory on either hand like just about every other VR game made since 2016. Locking movement to your "off" hand is just weird too, I'd like to be able to shoot and move with my Left hand, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to. The inventory should really be a harness like, say, H3VR's (or even just Vader Immortal), because half the point of the game is to show off Index Controllers and it doesn't work half as well when the gun or multi-tool is locked into your fixed close-gripped hand.

That said, I like the RUSSEL's. It's the most fun version of Force-gripping I've seen in a VR game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tip posted:

I'd be interested to hear the list. I'm guessing the way you switch guns is one of them along with only being to jump or move quickly with the teleport/dash.

Those are two big ones, along with storing things in your... wrists, as well as the constant big rear end loading screens. Grabbing mags from over your shoulder isn't as bad as it could be but it's still extremely weird and unnatural. I don't hate the highlighting with the gloves/line that comes out too much, but yeah any time you're in a forced tp situation is not good, especially the jarring movement when you're climbing ladders and stuff at the end where it just snaps you in place

The problem for me is that none of these things are so horrible on their own, but they all just get in the way and detract so much, and I really don't feel like the actual gameplay is all that special. To be honest my favorite parts so far were in the different rooms in the beginning area, where since you didn't have any gameplay pressure you didn't hit any friction points so you could just enjoy the atmosphere

Edit: although I would like to emphasize that the weapon switching is basically just inexcusably bad in my opinion, clicking the joystick to see a floating hud and make everything magically appear and disappear in your hand is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. I know they wanted no visible IK body and arms but god honestly it was just straight up a bad decision, I'll fight anyone on that

Lemming fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 24, 2020