Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The trick is gonna be to maintain a trickle of cases so you can continue to claim that your spending is part of an emergency package.

Corona today, corona tomorrow, corona forever.

Somebody make a Soviet flag but replace the hammer and sickle with the virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Red Flag with a virus on it? Can't see that causing an international incident at a time like this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I meant it in a positive way, but I can see how assholes would use it to be racist yeah. Thanks for that, Denmark.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

I meant it in a positive way, but I can see how assholes would use it to be racist yeah. Thanks for that, Denmark.

Look man they just give the people what they want. They 're not to blame, the people are

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Red Flag with a virus on it? Can't see that causing an international incident at a time like this.

It sure was interesting to see the same people responsible for illegally ordering the confiscation of Tibetan flags and detention of protesters during a visit by Xi now declare Danish freedom of speech inviolable.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The commission accurately analysing that business as usual would break the euro and the EU itself is unexpected.lets see if euro bonds are next, cause they really need to be.
This kinda makes me less cynical that our world will be broken for a long time.(it'll just be broken for a short time, kinda recover then get hit in the face by climate change, repeatedly.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

The commission accurately analysing that business as usual would break the euro and the EU itself is unexpected.lets see if euro bonds are next, cause they really need to be.
This kinda makes me less cynical that our world will be broken for a long time.(it'll just be broken for a short time, kinda recover then get hit in the face by climate change, repeatedly.)
If it makes you feel any better, the corona thing could make aerosol production in Europe drop low enough that we get some nice data for climate modelling, as pollution from Europe stops shielding the Arctic right as we move into the Arctic summer.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I feel like nobody learned anything from 1929

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Venomous posted:

History doesn't repeat, because it exact same thing can't happen.

But it sure as gently caress rhymes and had a chorus.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Venomous posted:

This isn't really the same situation. Also people took alot of lessons from the Great Depression and WWII, it's just that economists and politicians decided to throw all of those in the garbage in late 70s and 80s.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well some of those lessons were that it's not a great idea to let wealth concentrate too much, which is directly against the class interests of the rich and powerful. Same lesson they learned and forgot after 1799. And 1848. And 1871.

Just because these people are rich and/or powerful, doesn't mean they are not complete loving morons. In fact, they're more likely to be, since their wealth and power shields them from the consequences of their actions and thus they never have to face harsh truths that force them to learn a lesson. See: Trump, D. and Johnson B.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Usually war, foreign adventures, trying to map the Amazon or Congo or climb the Everest, poo poo like that, use to cull the dumb, the stupid, or the downright unlucky,so that the surviving wealthy would kinda have their wits about it, but the last 50 years have stoped that.
That's why I was so pump up when they started talking about going to space and mars , because that would surely cull some of them.

Guillotines are the ultimate leveler though, we should really look into bringing them back.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Orban is trying to dissolve parliament until the end of the year and rule by government decree instead. I'm sure this will have no further consequences. Shock doctrine in full effect yo.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
It's good to know that even when the General Marshall of the armies of evil gets it into her head to do A Good, there will be reasonable people there to advise against doing any good at all.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN21625J

quote:

The European Central Bank’s 750-billion-euro bond buying program, agreed at an emergency meeting late on Wednesday, came with a pledge to remove self-imposed “constraints” if necessary - a reference to a cap on owning more than a third of one country’s bond. [...]

The objectors included the governors from Germany and the Netherlands, which have traditionally opposed quantitative easing. This minority, described by one source as the “Weimar people” with reference to the 1920s hyperinflation that haunts some minds in Germany, have long feared the ECB would turn into the de facto financier of euro zone governments.

Good yes excellent objection, as a country's entire productive system is shutting down to contain a pandemic and the entire global economy is headed for a mega recession as multiple links in the global supply chain grind to a halt: but what if muh moral hazard?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Thought this might be a relevant piece for the EUMT - Ahold Delhaize is one of Europe's biggest supermarket chains:

quote:

Ahold Delhaize boss: We’ll have enough food — if the borders remain open

There will be plenty of food for Europeans to buy in supermarkets amid the coronavirus crisis — but only if EU countries keep their borders open for goods, according to the CEO of international retailer Ahold Delhaize.

“If your question is ‘do we have enough food,’ I would say yes, but that also means that the trade within Europe needs to stay open,” Wouter Kolk said.

Kolk — whose Ahold Delhaize is the parent company for Belgium’s Delhaize, the Netherlands’ Albert Heijn and the Czech Republic’s Albert supermarkets, among others — said that keeping borders open for food is “critical” if retailers are to restock their shelves on time.

EU countries including Poland, Germany and the Czech Republic have sealed their borders for most travelers in an attempt to reduce the spread of coronavirus, though they continue to allow goods to move through. However, Kolk said this has still led to more bureaucracy and traffic jams for truckers.

“The countries are closing down their borders for people, but not for products. The only thing is: If you lock them down because of people, you increase bureaucracy, you increase traffic jams, it takes longer for a truck driver to go through country A to country B. That’s something we need to prevent,” he said.

Kolk pointed to how last week after countries had implemented border controls, food products got stuck in long lines of trucks, some stretching to more than 80 kilometers. The situation has improved so far this week, but there are still reports of deadlocks.

“I’m sure that within a week, or a week and a half, things will become more normalized and we’ll all understand that we need to keep the flow of goods intact because it’s for everybody’s benefit,” he added.

The empty shop shelves many European customers have regularly witnessed since EU governments began introducing lockdown measures are the result of panic-buying, not a lack of food, Kolk stressed — and this won’t last forever. Ahold Delhaize’s experience across its food brands has shown this, he added.

“We see that [panic-buying] lasts for a week, a week and a half, and then we see that there’s trust in the supply chain, then we see that the stores are stuffed and people have stuff,” Kolk said.

Supermarket workers across the Continent have expressed concern about having proper protection from potentially sick customers since they’ve been placed on the frontline of the health crisis. Ahold Delhaize stores have been stepping up protection measures for employees, like installing plexiglass shields to separate workers from shoppers, and adding self-scanning machines, Kolk said. The company is also hiring temporary workers for warehouses and shops where there are labor shortages.

“We see a lot of supply in terms of people who want to help,” he said. “This combination will also help us to go through these times also making sure that the stores can stay open.”

While EU countries are dependent on each other when it comes to the flow of food within the internal market, Kolk said that the EU as a whole doesn’t rely that much on trade with Asia or the U.S. in terms of the Continent’s food security.

“The channels toward Asia that have been stopped are starting to open up again a little bit, the channels toward the U.S. have stopped,” he said. “But for our food, we’re not so dependent on the U.S. We might miss some California wine but we have enough of other alternatives in Europe.”

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Has anyone been stupid enough to close their borders for goods?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So within 3 weeks multiple European countries have suspended parliament and Schengen is dead.

Alrighty then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
At least Finland has 80% food self sufficiency so people won't starve even if the shipments stop coming. Reading in the news of panicked swedes phoning finnish food producers wanting to buy as much as they can though, they're hosed if it happens.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

His Divine Shadow posted:

At least Finland has 80% food self sufficiency so people won't starve even if the shipments stop coming. Reading in the news of panicked swedes phoning finnish food producers wanting to buy as much as they can though, they're hosed if it happens.

all those years of incredibly expensive agricultural subsidies about to pay off!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

V. Illych L. posted:

all those years of incredibly expensive agricultural subsidies about to pay off!

I mean this kind of thing is exactly why agriculture subsidies exist

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Almost like relying on the global supply chain for food security, beyond amplifying world inequalities, could constitute the risk of very mild immediate societal collapse the moment one of the myriad gears that compose said supply chain stops turning.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

V. Illych L. posted:

Meh we spend 2 billion on subsidies for housing (basically subsidizing landlords) and less than 350 million on agriculture.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i wasn't even joking lol

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Has anyone been stupid enough to close their borders for goods?

No but it doesn't matter. You know how, after Brexit, even the most basic checks on goods leaving/entering the UK would gently caress things up in a single day? We might be seeing the same thing, just to a lesser degree. Even if you wave trucks through, you still slow them down and it messes with just-in-time deliveries.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for real, i've thought my country's preoccupation with food supply was sort of quaint for many years, but now that we've got an unstable global situation that 90% potential self-sufficiency rate is very reassuring

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

So within 3 weeks multiple European countries have suspended parliament and Schengen is dead.

Alrighty then.

Schengen's not dead, it's working as intended.

Suspended parliaments is the real problem. It sorta makes sense but that mostly serves to illustrate that parliaments need to have ways to allow remote participation.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Not being native I'm not sure, but someone remind me, France is like a mega-producer or something right? Like 100% self-sufficient and then some?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm pretty sure france could just stop exporting food and feed itself without further adjustments, yeah - the second line countries need a harvest season to really get going

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

going to rock when france reemerges as the preeminent remaining western power because everyone else starved to death

can you imagine how *smug* they'd be

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Like they need help to be any smugger.

You can export smugness there's so much of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Not being native I'm not sure, but someone remind me, France is like a mega-producer or something right? Like 100% self-sufficient and then some?

Yes and no. Modern agriculture, like modern capitalism, says that every country needs to be hyperspecialized in one single crop that is monocultivated large scale, while everything else is imported from other countries that are also hyperspecialized to monocultivate their one single crop. It's what is more efficient.

What do you mean, crop rotation is necessary to prevent soil exhaustion? We don't care about soil exhaustion, if the soil is exhausted we can just pump more phosphates on it, jeez, it's not like phosphates are a finite resource that needs to be imported.

Long story short, France is a net agricultural exporter, but it relies largely on Brazil for cattle feed. All those French cows and pigs and chickens? 90% of their food comes from Brazilian soy, cultivated on freshly-cut rainforests. Because lol, small scale agriculture is terrible for the environment, what's good and efficient and reduces the impact is ultramegahyperconcentration when you put 10 billions cows in a single building and import their food from the other side of the world. Obviously.

If you cut off Moroccan phosphorus, Brazilian soy, and German poisons, French agriculture disappears except for the tiny minority of hippie bio/organic producers. (The ones who get 0% of the CAP subsidies.)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it owns that we've managed to uninvent crop rotation

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Every spring the countryside here smells like dung. Because the farmers are going around in their tractors literally dumping animal manure and flinging piss around from piss flinging machines over the fields. It's the smell of dinner and money.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Stuff like squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, watermelons also need need bees to pollinate so lol.
Potato needs beetles.(and wind, naitch)
Some things in greenhouses or industrial farming are horribly reliant on cross pollinators or a shitton of human work.all our migrants that actually work the fields are about to get the Roni or shot at the borders.
Start looking at native staples of you country.hope you like thistle soup!

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 24, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Every spring the countryside here smells like dung. Because the farmers are going around in their tractors literally dumping animal manure and flinging piss around from piss flinging machines over the fields. It's the smell of dinner and money.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who associates the smell of pig poo poo with dinner.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's actually cow poo poo, dunno if they have pig poo poo in there but it definitely smells like cow dung. My grandfather had both cows, sheep and pigs so I can tell the difference.

edit: We used go get cow dung from my granddad who lived like 400 meters away when I was a kid and spread it over our own fields in spring, we grew our own potatoes then, and onions and other vegetables, my parents still do, but no more cow poo poo, now they buy manure from the stores.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 24, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume ours is mostly cow too, yeah, it all ends up in a giant steaming pile full of straw anyway.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Self sufficient in what? Exotic fruits? No. In terms of grains & potatoes, if it is not yet, it can be within a year. I think most European countries can. Modern industrial agriculture is insanely productive.

Also, all the major countries have strategic government grain reserves for situations like supply chain disturbances. Nobody has to starve just because the borders are closed for a couple months. (Only if they are closed for a couple + 1 months)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes and no. Modern agriculture, like modern capitalism, says that every country needs to be hyperspecialized in one single crop that is monocultivated large scale, while everything else is imported from other countries that are also hyperspecialized to monocultivate their one single crop. It's what is more efficient.

What do you mean, crop rotation is necessary to prevent soil exhaustion? We don't care about soil exhaustion, if the soil is exhausted we can just pump more phosphates on it, jeez, it's not like phosphates are a finite resource that needs to be imported.

Long story short, France is a net agricultural exporter, but it relies largely on Brazil for cattle feed. All those French cows and pigs and chickens? 90% of their food comes from Brazilian soy, cultivated on freshly-cut rainforests. Because lol, small scale agriculture is terrible for the environment, what's good and efficient and reduces the impact is ultramegahyperconcentration when you put 10 billions cows in a single building and import their food from the other side of the world. Obviously.

If you cut off Moroccan phosphorus, Brazilian soy, and German poisons, French agriculture disappears except for the tiny minority of hippie bio/organic producers. (The ones who get 0% of the CAP subsidies.)

Modern society is as crazy as it is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The whole thing is a self-correcting problem. The more people die the less food you need and the more you have.