Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
FF7 PC is already supposed to be capped at 30fps in fields, the problem was it was inconsistent. Not even necessarily due to a PC being more or less powerful, most people would just get something between 32 or 34 FPS because the framelimiter is bad. The FPS fix just makes absolute sure that you're only getting 30fps when you're supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jabor posted:

The PC version has a glitch that allows you to skip most of the game. (You'll note there's a separate category that doesn't allow that glitch, which has times on par with the console versions).

30 fps doesn't make or break anything, but having an fps cap puts everyone on a more even footing even if their pc is less powerful.
Yeah, the huge time difference between PC/PSX isn't about 30 fps, it's about the glitches. As a very simplified description, the run itself is the same as the normal speedrun strats through Midgar, but then afterwards you wrong warp from Kalm to Mt. Nibel (via the flashback sequence), beat Materia Keeper and Palmer, then do another wrong warp to get to a Debug Room that lets you teleport straight to Sephiroth.

There's also, by the way, an even faster and more glitchy way to beat the game where you abuse the game keeping data loaded to create a New Game+ state and teleport to the North Crater super quickly in less than 2 hours. Puwexil ran this a few years back at one of the GDQs. I think the run has been optimized quite a bit since then, but it still shows off the broad brushstrokes of the category well enough if you're interested.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I know you might see this and go "Meh, I've already seen Mega Man do a bunch of zips, it's kinda old hat" but you ain't seen this poo poo. Watch it, it's insane.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Gotta love those end credits.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this game is SO broken i love it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Sry but i only watch known nazi apologists like thechosenone88 and HulkHoganHH

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Sick tas though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Don't be weird, just watch the TAS. TAS is cool. Warpspeed teabaging was my favorite part.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's been linked before but one of the imo must-watch speedruns is during PJ's megaman marathon where he plays his original Megaman 2 cart. Start from the linked time and go, it's great

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/476617614?t=0h39m50s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1240389104648343552

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This is the weirdest timeline

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Haven't seen it posted here, but ESA is doing an online marathon, ESA Together, to raise money for their events due to the increased cost of the current global environment. Submissions close tomorrow, it runs April 6th to the 13th.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

New Summoning Salt. Some more history on Punch-Out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBR9ypSOTGQ

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
kusogrande is goin on https://www.twitch.tv/brossentia

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any schedule for this thing? From what I saw it was hosting romscout and has since been empty.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Is there any schedule for this thing? From what I saw it was hosting romscout and has since been empty.
It's a tournament where they work around runner's schedules, so the schedule shifts a little on a week-by-week basis. There's a schedule on the channel (linked below), but based on a quick-skim of previous weeks and older Kusogrande tourneys, matches occur on a schedule generally like this:
3-4 matches on Saturday/Sunday in the afternoon to early evening; first match starting somewhere between 2 and 4 pm EST, last match ending between 6 and 10 pm EST.
3 matches a night on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, first match starting somewhere between 5 and 7 pm EST, last match ending around 10 pm EST.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fLV92M8zCoGlQUb_bzPZO2tAJul1X9S4onLcnUq3d2M/edit#gid=0

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kusogrande is great. Its basically awful block if it was a blind 2 or 4 way race with sports commentary by Brossentia and the usual suspects.

Awful block this year was fantastic and it might have been greatest of all time if Bro had been able to make it. Animorphs into Hydlide into Hoshi was a killer lineup.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like fun, too bad on weekdays EDT evenings are middle of the night over here.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What category of speedrunning (if it even IS "speedrunning") do i search for if i want to see skilled players play through games at a quick/effective pace but not use tons of glitches or out of bounds or such?
Particularly FPS games.
Im not really looking for a lets-play with a streamer with a face cam interacting with his viewers a lot but more what it would look like if John Wick played through Half Life 2.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ineptitude posted:

What category of speedrunning (if it even IS "speedrunning") do i search for if i want to see skilled players play through games at a quick/effective pace but not use tons of glitches or out of bounds or such?
Particularly FPS games.
Im not really looking for a lets-play with a streamer with a face cam interacting with his viewers a lot but more what it would look like if John Wick played through Half Life 2.
This is maybe not a speed run but is a ridiculously good video of doom2016. I think zero master does doom speedruns that don't glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72S2aAxtZOs

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ineptitude posted:

Particularly FPS games.

"Glitchless" and/or "no major glitches" are the categories you're looking for.

Also look for games that don't have those categories, because in that case the regular main category probably doesn't involve much in the way of glitches.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ineptitude posted:

Particularly FPS games.
Jabor beat me to it but here's a link to the speedrun.com HL2 leaderboard for glitchless https://www.speedrun.com/hl2ce#Glitchless

There's also a Single Segment category in the Misc. drop-down but only one run listed.

One other category name to look for would be something like No Major Glitches (NMG). Using Super Metroid as an example, there's any% NMG which has a record of 40m 56s and any% glitched at 11m 38s.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Great stuff, got lots to watch now :)

I get why speedrunners use all the various gitches and out of bounds and bunny hopping and jumping backwards etc, but i must be honest that it makes it a really poor medium to watch. It is much more fun to watch skilled players play through a game "the intended way" in an effective manner. Just my personal opinion of course.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

ilmucche posted:

This is maybe not a speed run but is a ridiculously good video of doom2016. I think zero master does doom speedruns that don't glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72S2aAxtZOs

In the same vein: Not really speedruns (at least I don't think they are), but amazing skills nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgbjGqfZzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIYqR7etxTA

Also anything by StealthGamerBR, e.g. this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKHBiXX4trg

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Great stuff, got lots to watch now :)

I get why speedrunners use all the various gitches and out of bounds and bunny hopping and jumping backwards etc, but i must be honest that it makes it a really poor medium to watch. It is much more fun to watch skilled players play through a game "the intended way" in an effective manner. Just my personal opinion of course.

I used to share this view until I tried replicating some of what they were doing in my favourite games and realised how difficult a lot (not all, but many!) of these tricks are and how much skill it takes to pull them off while also playing the game well enough to not die.

Different strokes for different folks though, glitchless runs are cool too.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

I used to share this view until I tried replicating some of what they were doing in my favourite games and realised how difficult a lot (not all, but many!) of these tricks are and how much skill it takes to pull them off while also playing the game well enough to not die.
True, but that's also kind of the issue with runs that use a crazy amount of glitches: The further it gets from normal/casual gameplay, the less understandable it is to people who aren't extremely familiar with the game.

Which is perfectly fine, not every run needs to appeal to every viewer...but for new/unfamiliar viewers, something like any% can be less interesting or less impressive than a glitchless/no major glitches/whatever run.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 24, 2020

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

True, but that's also kind of the issue with runs that use a crazy amount of glitches: The further it gets from normal/casual gameplay, the less understandable it is to people who aren't extremely familiar with the game.

Speaking as a programmer, sometimes that makes it more understandable, because I'll think, "Oh, of course doing (unexpected thing) would cause (ridiculous glitch), because they coded it to (do thing that sounds fine until someone does unexpected thing)." Which I often find fun to watch.

Like, I absolutely understand how we got the glitch in the Fallout Anthology run from AGDQ2020 where you trick the game into letting you equip multiple pairs of pants at the same time to go faster. But the practical effect of missing a race condition during save/load to let a player stack the same conditional buff without triggering the debuff for cancelling the condition ends up being "wear 9 pairs of pants at the same time to run at the speed of a race car" and that's amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like glitchless myself too, esp for fps games as glitches used in those tend to be, get out of bounds and run in the void for 5 minutes to the end, which sucks to watch

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i find it helps to remember that whatever they're doing is still being performed on a real console with just what you can do by pushing buttons on an actual controller. it might be unintended behavior, but it's far from cheating or playing illegitimately

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Both can be interesting, and even some OoB runs are pretty cool, but yeah things like Halo and DOOM where every level is "yeah we just clip OoB here and run to the end" is disappointing, especially in a fast paced game like Doom where you go in expecting some hyper-optimized zombie killing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

Both can be interesting, and even some OoB runs are pretty cool, but yeah things like Halo and DOOM where every level is "yeah we just clip OoB here and run to the end" is disappointing, especially in a fast paced game like Doom where you go in expecting some hyper-optimized zombie killing.

I had this same problem while playing SimCity for SNES; I was super curious to learn what it'd look like to speedrun to Megalopolis, but every speedrun I found used a cheat to basically get infinite money. That's no fun! :(

But yeah, that's a nice thing about speedrunning: there's as many speedruns as there are games. Don't like a game's speedrun? Find another one more suited to your watching tastes!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

timp posted:

I had this same problem while playing SimCity for SNES; I was super curious to learn what it'd look like to speedrun to Megalopolis, but every speedrun I found used a cheat to basically get infinite money. That's no fun! :(

there was some game a little while back where they found a way to glitch open the debug menu to cheat themselves items and i couldnt help but wonder why at that point they just didnt start cheating outright because the difference seems to me pretty pedantic

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This thread is sort devolving into YouTube comment territory haha

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Can't see the difference between withdrawing from my bank account and robbing old ladies after they use the atm

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang can you tell me how to add the infinite money code to my bank account

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
GUH

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i think high-tier glitching is a bit of a gimmick, and gimmicks are great a few times but they get old quick

it helps when it's clearly presented as people having a good time messing around in a dumbass video game that's going insane as fast as the runners are

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Dish posted:

i think high-tier glitching is a bit of a gimmick, and gimmicks are great a few times but they get old quick

it helps when it's clearly presented as people having a good time messing around in a dumbass video game that's going insane as fast as the runners are

Yeah like I'm watching the fallout anthology agdq2020 run and at the end of fallout 3 and it's silly bullshit for entertainment with great commentary, but without that it probably wouldn't be nearly as fun since there's tons of face mashing into walls to clip through things which isn't great to watch

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's two ranges in my opinion, Glitchiness and (visible) Difficulty

If something is Difficult, it's usually interesting to rewatch multiple times, regardless of glitches (Puchout, HL2 for example).
If something is very glitchy, but not visibly super difficult, it's usually good for a one off (Fallout 3, A lot of OOB FPSs)
If something is neither, it's a bad run (that might get held together by commentary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

HL2 us a good run. Using a glitch to skip the air boat means that there's now a bunch of cool bunnyhopping to do where previously, you had to bring the airboat.

Also, if a game doesn't have a glitchless category, it's probably because the glitchless run isn't that interesting.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah like I'm watching the fallout anthology agdq2020 run and at the end of fallout 3 and it's silly bullshit for entertainment with great commentary, but without that it probably wouldn't be nearly as fun since there's tons of face mashing into walls to clip through things which isn't great to watch

The alternate is an extra hour of walking in a straight line from waypoint to waypoint, which is definitely less entertaining.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 24, 2020