Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

V3 has the best cast, best ending, best cases, and best music of the trilogy IMO, so definitely my favorite by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I think the translation read better also.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Higurashi is getting an actually good anime now! There is now a trailer

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

MegaZeroX posted:

Higurashi is getting an actually good anime now! There is now a trailer

What the hell? The previous anime owned!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

What the hell? The previous anime owned!

They literally had to make a new arc because they bungled the question arcs.

I haven't watched more than a few of the old one's episodes, so I can't speak much of it, but that is what I heard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe you should actually watch the old one then and possibly even wait until the new one starts before declaring it good.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

All I know is that the general consensus I heard, both in this thread and outside of it, was that the Higurashi anime was mediocre at best (and bad at worst) and that the Umineko one was terrible. As such, I just made post indicating that there might be a good one coming. Obviously I don't know that it will be good, just that I imagine that a second attempt at an anime will avoid at least some of the pitfalls of the first.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
V3 is extremely, extremely back-loaded but the last few cases are worth the relatively not-as-good first half of the game.

IIRC the consensus on the Higurashi anime was that it was a good way to experience the story back when the VNs had awful translations, though it's less essential now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the DEEN adaptation is decent as a horror anime but there's a lot of aspects of the original that aren't really translated across at all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MegaZeroX posted:

All I know is that the general consensus I heard, both in this thread and outside of it, was that the Higurashi anime was mediocre at best (and bad at worst) and that the Umineko one was terrible. As such, I just made post indicating that there might be a good one coming. Obviously I don't know that it will be good, just that I imagine that a second attempt at an anime will avoid at least some of the pitfalls of the first.

With that batting average another When They Cry anime is way more likely to be bad than good.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

mycot posted:

With that batting average another When They Cry anime is way more likely to be bad than good.

Both those anime were done by Studio Deen, which has a reputation for making bad adaptations (they also did the Fate route of Fate Stay Night). The new anime is being done by a different studio

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Deen's Higurashi adaptation was fantastic, particularly the earlier portions of it, but it's a real love it or hate it. I don't see how a new adaptation will be able to improve on it without substantial amounts of screentime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, a DEEN adaption, is one of the best anime series I have ever seen.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Higurashi's adaptation was fine, but it had some big glaring issues. Quite a bit of characterization changed (one person specifically called out Mion on that), they cut tons of details - enough that they had to make a new arc in Kai to cover some of that - and it's got some animation issues. And the first season was trying to be a horror anime.

It still manages to scrape itself out of that and be good, though. Kai, in particular, turned out quite well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Speaking of the Higurashi anime, is there anywhere to stream season 2? Hulu (at least here) only has up through season 1 which just covers 1-6, which seems like a super weird place to cut.

Also, I really liked Higurashi as a horror anime but was mostly watching it in the background when doing chores and stuff and definitely did not give it my full attention.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I watched the higurashi anime and never read it. Last month I read through onikakushi and was surprised but a lot of the subtle differences. Based on just that arc the story of the anime felt kinda rushed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

I watched the higurashi anime and never read it. Last month I read through onikakushi and was surprised but a lot of the subtle differences. Based on just that arc the story of the anime felt kinda rushed.

I might be alone in this but I just....don’t like Onikakushi much in the overall context of things. It’s great when you read it for the first time but past that it feels like four memorable scenes and a traumatic ending all meant to set up the series. Personally I feel like it’s hard to blame anyone trying to adapt it to a muuuuch shorter runtime for trying to use it as a jumping off point for when things really kick off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

Both those anime were done by Studio Deen, which has a reputation for making bad adaptations (they also did the Fate route of Fate Stay Night). The new anime is being done by a different studio
Deen is a good studio. Higurashi is a very good adaptation but it focuses on the horror aspects, not the story or emotional arcs, so it suffers in that regard. It's possible for it to be good and also for another adaptation to be worthwhile. The 2006 F/SN anime is a decent adaptation of material that's very hard to adapt, and introduced a lot of concepts, visuals, and audio stuff that would become standard for the franchise, which is now one of the biggest in the world, so it deserves some credit.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

food court bailiff posted:

I might be alone in this but I just....don’t like Onikakushi much in the overall context of things. It’s great when you read it for the first time but past that it feels like four memorable scenes and a traumatic ending all meant to set up the series. Personally I feel like it’s hard to blame anyone trying to adapt it to a muuuuch shorter runtime for trying to use it as a jumping off point for when things really kick off.

Fair, I haven't read the other chapters yet so I can't use them as points of comparison until I do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Regardless we can all agree the S1 opening for Higurashi is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt26CSwCNao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the all time greats

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I’m playing Your Turn To Die which is a VN similar to Zero Escape / Dangonronpa and it is shockingly good for a free VN.

https://vgperson.com/games/yourturntodie.htm

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I didn't realize the first part of Chapter 3 of Your Turn was out

A nice surprise!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 26, 2020

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Finished it. It was nice. I'd really like to show my appreciations to the author and the translator by buying it somewhere, but I dunno where I'd do that

v: :rip:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 26, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Comiket I think

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

kirbysuperstar posted:

Regardless we can all agree the S1 opening for Higurashi is very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt26CSwCNao

The no Naku ni series has done pretty well with anime openings. The second Higurashi series has a fantastic song, even if the actual op is meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GZgzc3_-eA

And the Umineko op is one of the few redeeming things about that anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIgS258PA0

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/1243671639352582144?s=19

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:psyduck:

Someone dampen my hopes by reminding me how much time there was between beta and release for 7.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

:psyduck:

Someone dampen my hopes by reminding me how much time there was between beta and release for 7.

I think it was between one and two months. Looks like we will likely recieve the release in May.

Edit: Just checked, and it was just barley over two months. So expect a late May or early June release.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 28, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Minagaroshi was IIRC delayed by an extra month because, no joke, Mangagamer already had a release lined up in April and they didn't want to do a double release in one month.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Minagaroshi was IIRC delayed by an extra month because, no joke, Mangagamer already had a release lined up in April and they didn't want to do a double release in one month.

I remember a goon saying this, but never saw a source. I don't think this was announced publically at least (they just waited to June to announce a release date), so it would have to been an inside source if true.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dessel posted:

Also the trial seemed incredibly simple and the entire book route hit a guy with a metal ball in the head lured by a flash seemed absolutely ridiculous and uncertain series of events. I mean I'm sure there are dumber murders in the series that I can't remember just now.

For what it's worth, IMO that's the dumbest "mechanic" reveal in the entire game.

Endorph posted:

it's worth noting that battler only does his dumb sex jokes when the mood needs to be lightened and it's fairly rarely pushy on his part, in terms of actually wanting anything out of it. he's just a guy with a crass sense of humor more than anything.

Also (spoiled just as a precaution)Battler being kind of unthinkingly inconsiderate is a part of his characterization. He's fundamentally a good person and if someone tells him they don't like something he'll listen, but unless someone speaks up he's prone to sometimes say/do hurtful things.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

she remains a good character for the whole series but Natshui pulling her mama bear act when poo poo went down in Umineko Act 1 was the coolest goddamn thing

It's also funny in retrospect how stuff like evicting the servants was actually 100% reasonable and correct, but at the time it seems like it's cold/unfair. There are actually a bunch of times where the servants' involvement is suspected (notably the scene where Battler defends Kanon, even though accusations about him being suspicious were spot-on), but Battler being the protagonist and being opposed to this makes the audience doubt it as well..

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 9, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ytlaya posted:

For what it's worth, IMO that's the dumbest "mechanic" reveal in the entire game.

massive rear end v3 spoiler how dumb and coincidental it was was bothering me the whole game and i felt so vindicated when the last trial revealed that the plan actually didn't work as intended

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Okay, I finally feel like I have the time and motivation again to get through a chapter of Umineko. Back to blogathon. Chapter 7:

Hmm, they are making a point of there effectively being 2 Beatrice's, but there should actually be three, when you consider that there is Kinzo's gold Beatrice, Rosa's Beatrice that fell off a cliff, and the Beatrice that is also Shannon and Kanon. Is it a family line? But what is with the Shannon and Kanon thing? I could imagine Kinzo forcing the name Beatrice, but surely he wouldn't want her to unknown to him disguise himself as two different servants of his.

On a completely separate note, now that I've started working on learning Japanese in the past month, it is interesting picking up a few words of the voice acting here and there.

Edit: Hmm, if Genji cleaned up anything and Kinzo didn't seem to know, is it possible that Kinzo didn't even know about Beatrice v2 in the first place? If I recall correctly, we learned in chapter 4 that the secret mansion dealings were always with Genji. Maybe Kinzo's walks were really walks? Maybe Genji was always training girls that could disguise themselves as Beatrice? V2 was ready in all but personality, and then killed. V3 was nearly ready, but then Kinzo died.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 2, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Okay back to Umineko.

Oh, having a military base would explain why there is that secret underground stuff without needing Kinzo to be even more eccentric than he is.

Edit: Huh, didn't know about the Italian Social Republic until now. Didn't expect to learn about history from Umineko. Also, holy poo poo this music is good

Edit 2: Okay, that explains the gold, but now the question is how Kinzo gets all of it. My prediction: Distrust causes the Japanese and Italians to fight, then the Japanese soldiers kill each other over the gold, leaving Kinzo and Beatrice as the last of the survivors. IIRC it was eluded to in one of the other chapters that Kinzo had experienced something like the chapter killings.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 4, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of Umineko has amazing music but EP7's is my overall favorite set.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MegaZeroX posted:

Okay back to Umineko.

Oh, having a military base would explain why there is that secret underground stuff without needing Kinzo to be even more eccentric than he is.
]

it was kind of a throwaway line from chapter 1 but it also explains why the Japanese government apparently really wanted the island back :v:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it was kind of a throwaway line from chapter 1 but it also explains why the Japanese government apparently really wanted the island back :v:

Oh geez. I completely forgot about that.

I also like how the symbolism about the golden which turns out to be really on point here. Both Beatrice and Kinzo had their "souls resurrected." The title of golden witch starting with Kinzo joking with her in the boat.

I wonder if the doctor they find is Nanjo? I guess I will find out tomorrow when I continue.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah, EP7's soundtrack is a blast. 18_ridicule.ogg :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Umineko chapter 7:

Huh, I also don't get the significance of Rosa sitting next to Maria when there isn't a family conference happening. Am I forgetting something that would make this significant? Will I find out shortly? (this is rhetorical, only answer this if it will never get brought up again and is not related to some future twist)

Edit: So, the entire point of the Jessica sequence was to make it even more clear that Shannon = Kanon = Beatrice, since that is where they normally slept, and Maria was calling as she normally did. Shannon knew that Jessica would be there, and thus prepared to cut the power, run in, and take the doll.

Edit 2 With the additional details given, just modify the above with Shannon hiding in the room, Maria calling as normal, and one of the other servants tripping the breaker. Not Gohda, who isn't in on it, but Kumasawa or Genji.

Edit 3: Oh, is the questions checking that Lion doesn't exist in their memories, meaning it is from the real 1985? Since Lion would be on the right of Maria and Jessica?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 5, 2020