Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

looking for a comfy and lighthearted anime to liquefy my brain so i don't keel over of stress about the world

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-Kun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Impermanent posted:

looking for a comfy and lighthearted anime to liquefy my brain so i don't keel over of stress about the world

Yuru Yuri
Nichijou
Tanaka-kun is always listless

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hunt11 posted:

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-Kun
seconded, definitely a comfy, relaxing show

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've been massively impressed by how much of a quallity adaptation the Beastars series has been, to the point that I think it definitely improves on several aspects of the manga.

What are some of the best adaptations you've seen of a similar level, in your estimations? Subs or dubs is fine, but the dub had better be quality. I had actually switched between the two before deciding that the Beastars original VOs were much, much better.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 18, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

have you seen Orange's previous manga adaptation, Land of the Lustrous?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
No, but I'm familiar with it. It's on my list.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have found myself still recommending people read the manga from the start because there's just something about the ridiculous goofy-rear end faces Paru draws when she does low-detail versions of the characters, like Haru with dot eyes like :3 and such, imo it adds a ton of character to them. but the anime is also extremely good too and adds a ton of character to them with the animation. both are fantastic

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

DamnGlitch posted:

So I jumped on that Jin Patreon... does anyone know a good way to read this on patreon? It's not especially straightforward.

Youtube-dl supposedly lets you scrape from Patreon (using your proper credentials, so it's not piracy), but I haven't been able to get it to work. Do tell me if you can get it working.

Can you tell me what's on his afterword? I'd like to know if he plans to release more manga there any time soon, because I can probably catch up real fast considering this citywide lockdown we're on, and he hasn't updated since posting that in January. It would be nice if it had some assurance of new content on there.

Impermanent posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe, which is about a bunch of high schoolers travelling to the only place on earth which is still Covid-free

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 18, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kokoro Wish posted:

I've been massively impressed by how much of a quallity adaptation the Beastars series has been, to the point that I think it definitely improves on several aspects of the manga.

What are some of the best adaptations you've seen of a similar level, in your estimations? Subs or dubs is fine, but the dub had better be quality. I had actually switched between the two before deciding that the Beastars original VOs were much, much better.

Welcome to the NHK was originally a novel, then it got a manga adaptation that added a bunch of arcs, heavily reworking the character's characterization, backstory, and gave the whole thing a different tone, along with an original ending. The anime, on the other hand, is a really interesting blend of the two, keeping the main plot of the novel and its characterization of the characters, but adding in earlier arcs of the manga, which it uses to flesh out the cast to good effect and gives more meat to the series as a whole. It's my favorite of the three adaptations, and honestly just one of my favorite anime of all time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Kino no Tabi 2003 is an amazing adaptation that takes what works about the original novel and emphasizes it while dropping stuff that doesn't work. If you want a comparison, look at the more recent Kino anime, which is a decent adaptation of a decent novel series but doesn't really come close to the 2003 anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Kino no Tabi 2003 is an amazing adaptation that takes what works about the original novel and emphasizes it while dropping stuff that doesn't work. If you want a comparison, look at the more recent Kino anime, which is a decent adaptation of a decent novel series but doesn't really come close to the 2003 anime.

Some of the stories are reused from the first series, and it really highlights the difference in writing quality. It's not bad, but the first series really is much better at storytelling.

I'd say Hellsing Ultimate, dubbed, is the best rendition of Hellsing. Each OVA's just transcribing a volume of the manga, and doing a fantastic job of it. Though the Abridged version is actual legit great too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

Steins;Gate dub and Legend of the Galactic Heroes tape by mail original with hard coded pirate subs.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 18, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
e: wrong thread :argh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Impermanent posted:

Yuru Camp
Non Non Biyori
Emiya-san chi no Kou no Gohan
Hakumei to Mikochi

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Watched Monster and loved it. It was lengthy, but it was a fantastic story.

I think I'm going to give Steins;Gate next.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hilario Baldness posted:

Awesome,.glad you liked it. I recommend that to everyone typically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hilario Baldness posted:

Monster is fantastic. It takes a good while to get going, but hoo-boy is the payoff worth it once it gets up to speed.

The Richard Braun arc is some of the tensest television I've ever seen. You know how it's going to end for him. There's zero chance of it going any other way chasing Johann like so many before him. And yet it just keeps going towards that inevitable conclusion and you're just watching each episode to see if this will be the one where the other shoe finally drops... :suspense:

If you liked Monster, you'll probably love Steins;Gate. The dub is fantastic too.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Richard Braun arc is some of the tensest television I've ever seen. You know how it's going to end for him. There's zero chance of it going any other way chasing Johann like so many before him. And yet it just keeps going towards that inevitable conclusion and you're just watching each episode to see if this will be the one where the other shoe finally drops... :suspense:

If you liked Monster, you'll probably love Steins;Gate. The dub is fantastic too.

I just knew based on how many episodes were left in the series that it just had to go that way.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I have been hooked on the Horror game on Steam called World of Horrors which is a love letter to Junji Ito.

I have never read manga prior to this and I am hooked. Any other great horror mangas?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I have never read manga prior to this and I am hooked. Any other great horror mangas?

Some foundational ones that inspired other stuff for decades to come:

- Kitaro of the Graveyard
- Devilman

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Some foundational ones that inspired other stuff for decades to come:

- Kitaro of the Graveyard
- Devilman

Will definitely check them out! Thanks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

besides junjo ito heres a shortlist of most other very well known horror authors

go nagai (devilman, incredibly influental shonen horro)
rei mikamoto (sukeban chainsaw girl and various other smutty type horror for women)
katsuhisa kigitsu (franken fran, horror comedy)
yuki fujisawa (biomeat: nectar and other man vs nature/monsters type horror for teen boys)
kyoko okazaki (helter skelter, psychological horror by one of the first female mangaka, helped shape the entire demographic of josei)
i am a hero (the most well known zombie manga)
kazuo umezo (an incredibly amount of series, start with a compilation like god’s left hand. basically the godfather of horror manga)
yousuke takahashi (man eater etc, tons of horror comedies, great artstyle)
hideshi hino (hell baby, you might also know him from the guinea pig series of movies)
natsuhiko kyougoku (author of real horror books, some of which looks summer of ubune have been adapted to manga)
daijirou morohashi (big name in the old man horror world, makes very academic type of horror like youkai hunter)
Hokazono Masaya (tons of horror shorts like the kuro ihon series, stylistically close to japanese horror movies)
Masaaki Nakayama (tons of atmospheric horror one shots like the fuan no tane series)

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
AdtrWiki is down, any one has backup of its lists/reviews ?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, there's a backup being hosted at https://adtrw.nulani.net/ - don't bother trying to log in etc but browsing the content should be fine

e: also lol

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I finished watching Iruma-kun while exercising and really enjoyed it. Iruma was fun to root for, and both the opener and closer were pretty solid songs to amp up and peddle to. I always watched them, and made them part of the routine. What are some other good, relatively light anime to watch while on an exercise bike? A straightforward story like Iruma-kun has is appreciated, as I would prefer things not be contingent upon missing some small detail while I am trying to sweat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
maybe azumanga daioh? it's very lighthearted, though some parts have not aged well, and there's really nothing super important you might miss.

I wish I could recommend My Monster Secret's anime because the manga is so goddamn good but they dropped the ball unbelievably hard with the anime version and it's a cryin' shame.

if you've got netflix, little witch academia might be up your alley. it's one of the better trigger offerings.

someone who has seen it can vouch for it more, but I have heard The Disastrous Life of Saiki K is excellent.

and of course there's cute girls doing cute things in K-ON!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

I finished watching Iruma-kun while exercising and really enjoyed it. Iruma was fun to root for, and both the opener and closer were pretty solid songs to amp up and peddle to. I always watched them, and made them part of the routine. What are some other good, relatively light anime to watch while on an exercise bike? A straightforward story like Iruma-kun has is appreciated, as I would prefer things not be contingent upon missing some small detail while I am trying to sweat.

My Roommate is a Cat
Nichijou
Sketchbook

Ginban Kaleidoscope maybe? Ore Monogatari if you dont mind a doofy love story.

Im sure there are way more but Ive barely scratched the surface of anime and those are the ones that stand out that I recently watched. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Filthy Monkey posted:

My Roommate is a Cat is a very lighthearted and chill show.

edit: drat you, Furnaceface! :argh:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

drat, multiple suggestions for cat roommates. Guess I need to check that one out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Roommate is a Cat is a very lighthearted and chill show.

edit: drat you, Furnaceface! :argh:

:owned:

Ill vouch for Saiki K. It has some odd moments where it gets kind of repetitive and dull but as long as you dont mind pedaling through them (:haw:) it would fit the request as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

In addition to what's been suggested - maybe try Yurucamp/Laid-back Camp?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Here's the OP see if this wants to make you exercise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evdz-Gm4XsQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

My Roommate is a Cat
Nichijou
Sketchbook

Ginban Kaleidoscope maybe? Ore Monogatari if you dont mind a doofy love story.

Im sure there are way more but Ive barely scratched the surface of anime and those are the ones that stand out that I recently watched. :v:

I wouldn't actually recommend Nichijou for this; It's a fantastic show, but the animation is gorgeous at times and worth giving your full attention to. Plus most of the gags are visual, so you can't really glance back-and-forth at it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Bamboo Blade is a pretty decent sports comedy where the sport isn't so involved that it'd need your full attention? It's just kendo, so hitting other person good and getting hit bad, easy to parse. And the lean is more on comedy than sports, so it never gets super dramatic.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Everything Burrito posted:

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Here's the OP see if this wants to make you exercise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evdz-Gm4XsQ

This would be my first recommendation as well.

Also maybe the newest Gegege no Kitarou anime?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWTKaoi6UBE

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yowamushi Pedal

Kingdom

Haikyuu

seconding Saki K

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Filthy Monkey posted:

Lots of good suggestions already but I can add some fun "easy watching" to the pile:

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Slayers
Patlabor (OVAs and TV series)
Machikado Mazoku

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Devil is a Part-Timer is always one of my light anime recommendations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the suggestions all. I'll definitely look into some of them. I've seen some of Nichijou, and don't think it would really be the best thing to exercise to. All of the other suggestions are unknown to me though, so I'll check them out.

I did just finish watching Somali, but definitely not as an exercise anime. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and parts of the show definitely had me tearing up. The art style and weird world reminded me a lot of Made in Abyss, but instead of torturing kids it focused more on protecting the kid. It did have some difficult to believe coincidences, and the relationship between humans and beasts seemed a bit forced at times. I did't find those aspects to detract from my enjoyment too much though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

For light and fun anime, I recommend Tonari no Seki-kun. It revolves around a boy named Seki and a girl named Rumi and their completely oblivious teacher. Instead of listening or studying, Seki brings something to class to waste time, be it cats or beach sand or whatever. Rumi usually gets caught up in Seki's shenanigans and it's quite amusing.