Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Spangly A posted:

arent the WHO asking everyone to keep going? surely you can locally increase contaiment measures for short periods where a low-rate infected area has a quick increase. For example, Cornwall council made a statement asking the emmets to gently caress off up country before they pollute their pleasant wilderness. If you said nothing but supplies will cross the Tamar there's a chance they'd take it year round anyway, and if you can cycle hard/soft containment then you can potentially clear individual regions as well as remind people it could be worse, both of which are important for morale.

It's unwise to dismiss the value of "less scary" during a pandemic that already saw people fleeing into villages in Italy pre-empting the lockdown, too.

Communist Thoughts posted:

this is 100% wrong

Fair points. Happily withdrawn!

Also don't let all of this fall on Cummings, there's a real "The King is being led astray by his evil advisors! Once rid of them he will bring fairness and justice back to the Kingdom!" element to this. He was picked by Johnson to be an ally, Johnson, is at best, too stupid or too lazy to realise what those ideas mean and that's assuming he wouldn't be/isn't on board with them anyway. This is his fault as much as anyone else in government. Even if THE SCIENCE said a thing was possible it was clearly an increased risk to life in exchange for protecting the economy, don't forget Johnson was talking about keeping the economy GROWING during his first Thursday announcement. That late on he thought it was possible and reasonable to suggest such a thing mattered, don't let him escape from that.

vv Not if we actually prepare and make a fight about it.

namesake has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
At the start of this Boris Johnson went on TV and said that they were just letting the virus run its course and you should expect deaths. He will be given an Earldom.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dmitri-9 posted:

At the start of this Boris Johnson went on TV and said that they were just letting the virus run its course and you should expect deaths. He will be given an Earldom.

no sorry this has been memory holed

we have always been at war with virus

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
with all the whiplash im getting from the uks strategy i expect theyll be worshiping the virus by next week

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Robo Reagan posted:

with all the whiplash im getting from the uks strategy i expect theyll be worshiping the virus by next week

It's all over once the mace is infected.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Lol my partner has diabetes and works retail the company is going to say it's strong advice to limit contact not one of the ones with a stay at home order so gently caress you no sick leave till you get the corona even though your very high risk. Trying not to freak out regarding her health is getting difficult. A cold fucks her up badly. Hopes and prayers everyone

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my wife is a nurse in the nhs and also has severe asthma and is pregnant and they’re acting like it’s business as usual at the moment :thunk:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
My family in Italy sent me a picture of army trucks lined up down the street ready to transport the dead bodies to graves. My cousin in Spain has said that to leave the house you have to get permission from the local police or something. The UK this past weekend saw record turnouts to public parks and beaches.

Not a lol. In about 2 weeks time there will be bodies rotting in houses.

Edit: But I guess this was Dom Cummings original plan, so going as expected I guess?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...as-very-selfish

REMAIN INDOORS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://i.imgur.com/xaHnxWJ.mp4

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think perhaps johnson has finally realised that his bungling is going to cost thousands of lives

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

i think perhaps johnson has finally realised that his bungling is going to cost thousands of lives

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

dom has always struck me as entirely comfortable with the idea of ruining lives for a cause, where as johnson doesn't really care and is mostly in it for the prestige. the sudden realisation that he's directly killed a bunch of people by being stupid was probably not nice for him

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

V. Illych L. posted:

the sudden realisation that he's directly killed a bunch of people by being stupid was probably not nice for him

how can you be this naive op

Dekko
May 23, 2007
So my mate's girlfriend has just been told shes gotta go in tomorrow, despite not working in an industry thats even close to being essential. Shes within her rights to tell the boss to gently caress off right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean if she just says “I’m immunocompromised and could die” what’s he gonna do?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dekko posted:

So my mate's girlfriend has just been told shes gotta go in tomorrow, despite not working in an industry thats even close to being essential. Shes within her rights to tell the boss to gently caress off right?

i have to go in to work tomorrow because lol i'm a contractor and the government don't give a poo poo

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

dom has always struck me as entirely comfortable with the idea of ruining lives for a cause, where as johnson doesn't really care and is mostly in it for the prestige. the sudden realisation that he's directly killed a bunch of people by being stupid was probably not nice for him

There's a theory that he could, you know, just take it on the chin.

Dekko posted:

Section 7 of the Health and Safety law without a ballot or giving your employer the right to dock your pay.

Section 7 of the Health and Safety At Work Act 1974 (HSAWA 1974) places a duty on every employee while at work:

a) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work

Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 (ERA 1996) protects the employee (with no qualifying service period) from any ‘detriment’:

d) in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent and which he could not reasonably have been expected to avert, he left (or proposed to leave) or (while the danger persisted) refused to return to his place of work or any dangerous part of his place of work, or

e) in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent, he took (or proposed to take) appropriate steps to protect himself or other persons from the danger.

The Labour Research Department explains:

“As long as the employee forms a genuine view of a risk that they reasonably regard as serious and imminent, the fact that the employer disagrees with the seriousness of the risk or the appropriateness of the steps taken is irrelevant.”

namesake has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Mar 23, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wow America has really outdone us now, it was close for a bit there

Dekko
May 23, 2007

namesake posted:

Section 7 of the Health and Safety law without a ballot or giving your employer the right to dock your pay.

Section 7 of the Health and Safety At Work Act 1974 (HSAWA 1974) places a duty on every employee while at work:

a) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work

Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 (ERA 1996) protects the employee (with no qualifying service period) from any ‘detriment’:

d) in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent and which he could not reasonably have been expected to avert, he left (or proposed to leave) or (while the danger persisted) refused to return to his place of work or any dangerous part of his place of work, or

e) in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent, he took (or proposed to take) appropriate steps to protect himself or other persons from the danger.

The Labour Research Department explains:

“As long as the employee forms a genuine view of a risk that they reasonably regard as serious and imminent, the fact that the employer disagrees with the seriousness of the risk or the appropriateness of the steps taken is irrelevant.”

Thankyou, I'll pass it on

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wow America has really outdone us now, it was close for a bit there

i mean for both of us it was always a question of “which country’s gammons manage to vote for literal suicide first”

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i mean for both of us it was always a question of “which country’s gammons manage to vote for literal suicide first”

my concern is america is going to be the experiment and the moloch ghouls in the UK will agitate for the same thing

i suppose by then america will be the example of what not to do

a lot of governments really dont understand there is no room for political choices, there is one way out we have found and you have to do it. theres no one weird trick

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

oliwan posted:

how can you be this naive op

Its because he realised it would be mainly old white folk who would dying.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
My housing association have taken a break from putting up articles about how socially conscious and non-evil they are to remind me:

quote:

Paying your rent

We are following Government advice and, to be fair to all our customers, we do not plan to implement rent holidays or to freeze rents; you should continue to pay your rent on time, as normal.

Jeez, save me the mealy-mouthed poo poo about being a fair and noble lord of the land, will ya?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

What does it mean to "limit exercise to one form a day"? Like, you're allowed to lift weights but not run?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
But why won't someone think of the landlor..sfsshuhnweuoad

Almost got it out before I started gagging, sorry.

edit:

prefect posted:

What does it mean to "limit exercise to one form a day"? Like, you're allowed to lift weights but not run?

It just means prison rules. Exercise (ie fresh air) allowed once per day, but not with other people. You are allowed to walk around the block once per day and go food shopping, that's it.

Dravs has issued a correction as of 11:49 on Mar 24, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dravs posted:

But why won't someone think of the landlor..sfsshuhnweuoad

Almost got it out before I started gagging, sorry.

this is literally the chief function of the conservative party lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cominic dummings

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Dic Cum

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
genocidal dorklord

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dravs posted:

It just means prison rules. Exercise (ie fresh air) allowed once per day, but not with other people. You are allowed to walk around the block once per day and go food shopping, that's it.

Thanks for the explanation. :tipshat:

https://twitter.com/georgeattherock/status/1242211127351824384

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im going shopping - wrong, bad, the police will shoot you if you are BAME

im going to buy essential supplies on my state approved walk - good, wholesome, the police will shoot you if you are BAME

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Combining your state approved walk with your state approved essential supplies trip is an amateur mistake.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
So seems like businesses are just ignoring this, and clutching to the one bit of guidance that said you can go to work if absolutely necessary. I want to ask, for whom, is going to work, not necessary? This is going to turn into a giant shitstorm as CEOs realise that they can just stay open so long as they aren't specifically mentioned. Everyone in the media has just assumed that only key workers could travel to work, but the guidance is vague, so it's just a disaster. I'm seeing MPs going ape trying to tell people to stop going to work on twitter right now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
without a rent freeze all work is still “essential” lol

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
constructing guillotines is legitimately essential work

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

New rules in force: you must stay in this thread. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

how are they so bad at this poo poo

howwww

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

joris bohnson, village idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They desperately don't want to do un-tory stuff like rent and bill freezes and giving people money