Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Going to pass a bunch of terrible laws and fight Wales.

e: The Peugeot 205 was a French City car.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

All those moments will be lost in time, like tear in feed, check roller.

pfft, I got dragged from Southampton up to the DEFRA office in Reading for "jams" when it turned out someone had put A3 in a tray and not changed the tray settings from A4. Was particularly gratifying to show someone how to change it in the three minutes I was in the building

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Pablo Bluth posted:

Latest 24hr death toll is 87. That's a significant leap up.

I noticed they stopped reporting on cases and just do deaths now (8000/422)

Wachter posted:

I'm not so sure about this. When all the olds start piling up in ICUs they'll be replaying the footage of youngsters pissing around on beaches.

Aye, but as this will effect everyone rather than being some other, people's lived experience will trump media spin (to a point) - I think how the narrative is formed in the coming months will be how people remember it. Like, the 90s wasn't just an endless summer with brit pop and Blair but its baked that way in people's brains. As we're living in history I think its important to archive prescient stuff and be involved in forming that narrative than left behind (Mandela effect in reverse maybe)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"The People's Fields" sounds like a very ideologically correct place to exercise.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Going to pass a bunch of terrible laws and fight Wales.

This man stood up to a global corporation and seized all of its English property in order to nationalise its services,
thereby resulting in the church of England.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

"The People's Fields" sounds like a very ideologically correct place to exercise.

The Peoples Fields are deepest red.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
They're not really called 'the peoples' fields' that's a loose (and as it turns out wrong) translation LOL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

The Peoples Fields are deepest red.

That's after the evictions start happening, I think :v:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Someone posted in our village FB ground that they saw a family playing football in a field at the back of the village asking who's field it was. Most people responded the right way, of who the gently caress cares who's field it is? It's a family they can go play football in any field they like.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aramoro posted:

I thought you were a computer toucher, not working from home?

no and no

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm self-employed, work alone or with one other in fields, and likely am completely ruined.

Thinking about supermarket work for a bit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is plenty of it right now though it might not last very long.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Matt Hancock looks and sounds loving terrified in this briefing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1242492246605389825

4000 beds, but no mention of where the staff and equipment is coming from.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

Matt Hancock looks and sounds loving terrified in this briefing.

probably trying his hardest not to cough.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

#NULL!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speculation with absolutely nothing to back this up: they won't need much equipment because it's where the no-hopers will be sent to protect the capacity of other hospitals.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A quarter of a million volunteers! Sounds like we might be getting conscription in a couple of days if previous escalation of announcements is followed. (But you won't have to).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
spent £70 on groceries in Tesco today which has to be the most I've spent in a single trip for at least a decade

no flour and no bread rolls and very little meat but everything else looked pretty normal (didn't check for eggs or tinned tomatoes/beans)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've spent more if you include on-offer whiskey as a grocery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically it's BWS but that's generally functionally a part of grocery :v:

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Am I right in thinking Hancock is rolling back yesterday's announcement almost completely with regard to closing workplaces?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yes were planning on having the crisis licked in 12 weeks :smug:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Soylent Yellow posted:

Am I right in thinking Hancock is rolling back yesterday's announcement almost completely with regard to closing workplaces?

It sounds like it, and saying you should speak to your employer if you think it should be closed. And blaming TfL for crowded trains.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
So yeah we're still pretty hosed. Boris is going to start racking up the sort of bodycount Tony Blair would be jealous of shortly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nice av ratty

Soylent Yellow posted:

they only said non-essential shops would be closed (whatever that counts for exactly), and that you could only travel to work if necessary (whatever that means)

so they basically made positive decisive sounds while leaving holes you could drive a brexit bus through, so yeah it's "up to you and your employer" and people can be blamed yet again for not making the right decisions

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

keep punching joe posted:

So yeah we're still pretty hosed. Boris is going to start racking up the sort of bodycount Tony Blair would be jealous of shortly.

Tony is watching the neoliberal shanty Town he helped create go up in flames, killing all the White Christians he cares about.

He is unmoved. He was still right

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It sounds like it, and saying you should speak to your employer if you think it should be closed. And blaming TfL for crowded trains.

That one is at least partially true, the morning peak service has been cut back far too much.

It doesn’t matter if the passenger load drops by 70% if you only run 25% of the regular number of trains. They’re going to be rammed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Once we're done with the virus, how long will the police "and other authorities" still be able to "disperse gatherings" for?

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azza Bamboo posted:

Once we're done with the virus, how long will the police "and other authorities" still be able to "disperse gatherings" for?

are you actually concerned about this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless something's changed the plan was for two years "emergency powers"

Whether that's written into the bill or not I don't know.

large_gourd posted:

are you actually concerned about this?

Not enormously keen on the expansion of powers to section people indefinitiely basically for shits and giggles given the history of the UK's mental health services.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Unless something's changed the plan was for two years "emergency powers"

Whether that's written into the bill or not I don't know.

I know Scotland were trying to insert a review after 6 months clause.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The government offered an amendment to make it renewable every 6 months, whatever's happening with that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its honestly impressive just how much they're being tories about this

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

quote:

Italy has just reported a jump of 743 deaths in the past day, bringing its death toll up to 6,820. This comes after two days of the number falling.

loving hell.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
One unnerving fact from the Irish daily briefing, was that 45% of cases could not be traced to any other person, as in they can't trace it backwards .

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oodles posted:

loving hell.

I don't think you can read too much into the daily numbers - wouldn't an improvement still end up with people dying, just lasting a bit longer because they can get better treatment?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Testing the strength of my relationship.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I read that as Nightmare Hospital first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

shoutout to forkboy