Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

J posted:

Most of the company worked from home last week. And now, today they have all completely forgotten how to work from home. It's like last week never happened. God drat. The same people are asking the same questions they did last week, in some cases even responding to the drat emails from last week that already contain the answers to their questions.

They had to reboot their computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Yeah. I'm currently on a Zoom call for a 100% volunteer board meeting. This is for a youth sports general assembly meeting that by charter has to happen by April 1.

The meeting started at 6pm and we have so far accomplished the roll call, introductions and people fumbling with the mute button. If there was a video conference bingo I'd have blackout already with dogs barking in the background, some clown who thinks he is clever by hanging his camera upside down, several people heating dinner with a live mic, "hey can you hear me?" and "This is X, who is on the call, please?", the obligatory LOOK UP MY NOSE AND COUNT MY BOOGERS perspective from those laptops with a camera mounted at the hinge instead of at the edge.

When we meet in person (we meet at a bowling alley and there is a guy who drinks a pitcher of beer at one sitting then drives home) there is so much side talk and rabbit-holing that very little actually gets done, so this is going to be three hours I'm not going to get back.

It's 6:44pm and we just managed to approve the minutes from the last month's minutes.

:ughh:

edit: 6:50pm As we dive into the meat of the meeting, Bob is arguing that no one has submitted a report, but since no one has he is mad. Since no one has reported anything, we can't discuss anything. Bob is the only one holding this position.

7:35pm Now Bob is arguing that he found an entry in the budget that makes us have a deficit for 20/21. The president, the treasurer and the accountant think otherwise. Bob continues to argue.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 24, 2020

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
If getting hired is a ten step process, I'm at about 8.5 with a perfectly acceptable job that's going to require a major move. I am anticipating that going to 9.5 tomorrow.

Meanwhile I just got an email from much much better job, asking for information that will take me from 3 to 5.

What to do?

E: agrikk, if you can get me 80k/y I'll beat the poo poo out of Bob

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

anywhere near as well resourced as Microsoft are at keeping their services running.

When do the security certificates and/or domain registrations for O365 expire ? They've botched both renewals in the past.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tactlessbastard posted:

If getting hired is a ten step process, I'm at about 8.5 with a perfectly acceptable job that's going to require a major move. I am anticipating that going to 9.5 tomorrow.

Meanwhile I just got an email from much much better job, asking for information that will take me from 3 to 5.

What to do?

E: agrikk, if you can get me 80k/y I'll beat the poo poo out of Bob

You fool; beating up Bob would clearly be a short-term gig and you can't do that right now! Take the steady job! :ohdear:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dick Trauma posted:

Got one of "those" emails from the COO: "HOW QUICKLY CAN YOU TURN OFF SOMEONE'S ACCESS TO EMAIL, FILES, ETC.!!!!???"

:justpost:

In other news, it's an inventory month! So come next week, I'm sure they'll be really happy when I tell them literally my entire house is sick and we have no idea with what. Including me. The only reason I'm working is WFH. I'm sure they're going to try to force me to come in, which will be hell and a risk to everyone there - because again, I've no clue what the gently caress this is.

EDIT: Pissing me off now - a customer is withholding money and sitting on A/R because they don't like the color of the velcro straps on their accordion shutters. :commissar:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 24, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quote:

The White House is partnering with the computer technology giant Oracle to promote a pair of malaria drugs that President Trump has touted in recent days to treat the coronavirus, even before the government approves their use for the outbreak, according to five senior administration officials and others familiar with the plans.

The drugs in question include the one that killed that guy and hospitalized his wife a couple days ago. This could turn out to be Oracle's second-worst product.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

D34THROW posted:

:justpost:

In other news, it's an inventory month! So come next week, I'm sure they'll be really happy when I tell them literally my entire house is sick and we have no idea with what. Including me. The only reason I'm working is WFH. I'm sure they're going to try to force me to come in, which will be hell and a risk to everyone there - because again, I've no clue what the gently caress this is.

EDIT: Pissing me off now - a customer is withholding money and sitting on A/R because they don't like the color of the velcro straps on their accordion shutters. :commissar:

Several countries now have a $100,000 fine for companies trying to force sick people to work at their workplace right now. See if you can hold that over them somehow.

If you are forced to go, be sure to spread the love with visits to the manager(s) responsible. Just check in in them for 15-odd minutes at a time and touch a bunch of things in their office.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our fiber is down. Ancient Cisco 3600 is likely failing. Manager and director are standing behind me while I'm on the phone with ISP consoled in to the switch.

YOU GUYS CAN GO THE gently caress TO LUNCH THANKS

Weedle
May 31, 2006

In response to me reporting that pressing Enter, instead of clicking Save, on the username change dialog does not commit the change but reloads the entire page and makes you navigate back and try again instead:

quote:

This is Aaron with Blackbaud support, I just wanted to reach out to you as I was able to confirm that this is working as designed. Currently it is required to click save on all screens like this. We do not use enter to save popup windows on any of our pages.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Weedle posted:

In response to me reporting that pressing Enter, instead of clicking Save, on the username change dialog does not commit the change but reloads the entire page and makes you navigate back and try again instead:

One of the worst projects I ever worked on when I was at an agency was an integration with Blackbaud. I don’t think I’ve ever worked with such an uncooperative vendor.

Not supporting the Enter key doesn’t surprise me at all

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It's actually a flat-out lie because the Enter key does work to assign a single-use password to a profile

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Fool posted:

Specifically for meetings:

WebEx < Skype for business < all others < Teams < Zoom

Any questions?

:colbert:

What if you're using all 4 of those and also... the "all others"? Because we are. All within the last few days.

Also I've been asked to deploy a Vonage phone system proof of concept, get Softphones working on our current phone system, am looking into using Grandstream Phones + Asterisk over VPN , and adding Conference, Phone System, and Calling plan to our Skype for Business, as well as writing up a proposal for M$ Cloud PBX and Teams.

We literally need only one of those things but my pleas of "please just assume they all can do exactly what you want and loving pick just one" have fallen on deaf ears.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Weedle posted:

It's actually a flat-out lie because the Enter key does work to assign a single-use password to a profile

That's probably an accident that they don't know about and will remove it if you ask them about it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Looks like I'll be working 12 hours a day 7 days a week until this virus business is over. *distant shotgun racking*

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We just had a report of a coworker who tested positive and I poo poo you not my boss suggested that we just quarantine in the office instead of at home, "because we have a shower."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's not how any of that works!

Or maybe it does for him, ask how many people he has at home. Maybe we have some sort of cult situation going on.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Looks like I'll be working 12 hours a day 7 days a week until this virus business is over. *distant shotgun racking*

Hourly I hope?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet is working now!

Yes, one of our core engineers just finished a BGP change as this is now getting more routes than it can handle and said that it should clear up in about 5 minutes

I wonder if our ISP was moving poo poo around for bandwidth reasons or what.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We just had a report of a coworker who tested positive and I poo poo you not my boss suggested that we just quarantine in the office instead of at home, "because we have a shower."

I tell you what boss, you can stay in the office with him and tell me how that works out. You know. If you can speak through the intubation.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hughmoris posted:

Hourly I hope?

Indeed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol at the amount of people trying to be macho in the face of a virus that tries to drown you

Weedle
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

That's probably an accident that they don't know about and will remove it if you ask them about it.

he's literally denying it lol

quote:

I ran a quick test and I was not able to save the temp password by using the enter key while on the menu selection. I did manage to tab to the enter button and use enter to click the save button but this is just using the Keyboard to select save. To save any information on these popup pages we need to click save. Currently there is not a built in option to use enter to save the username window.

If you have any further questions regarding this feel free to contact us again.

also, i'm an rear end in a top hat

quote:

I am sitting at my computer right now with user lists open in Blackbaud Core in both Chrome and Edge, and can recreate the aforementioned temp password behavior in either browser. If I am imagining this, the hallucination is shockingly realistic and likely of medical interest. That said, that’s not the issue I’m trying to report; that behavior is in fact consistent with modal text entry fields in virtually every other piece of software on earth. Again, the issue is that pressing Enter/Return after entering text in the username field cancels the change and reloads the profile. If this is indeed by design, as you claim, I would love to hear the rationale behind this decision, as it flies in the face of decades of user interface convention. People have been pressing enter to confirm text entry for as long as computers have been equipped with keyboards, and I fail to see what benefit is conferred by replacing that behavior with erasing the user’s input and ejecting them from the prompt entirely. This is unexpected and undesirable behavior. If this is all part of an overarching Dadaist philosophy of interface design in which we, the audience, are invited to reject our preconceptions of what is considered “good” and “usable,” at least I can respect that, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating when I’m trying to get my work done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

Got one of "those" emails from the COO: "HOW QUICKLY CAN YOU TURN OFF SOMEONE'S ACCESS TO EMAIL, FILES, ETC.!!!!???"

HR contacted me this morning with the name of the person getting fired and that I should turn off all access at 3:30pm. This employee just returned from maternity leave so I guess they had to wait two weeks so they could fire her without getting sued. Nice people I work for.

At 3:30pm I began my usual exit checklist. Email, AD, VPN, the works. At 3:40pm the person getting fired called me because her smartphone and Outlook were prompting for her password and she couldn't get back on the VPN. Outlook was frozen and she was late to get on an important Zoom meeting that was supposed to start at 3:30pm and needed the connection info.

:smith:

I told her I'd look into it and then emailed HR to notify her. She writes back that my boss has pushed back the meeting until 3:45pm and I need to reactivate all of the user's access.

gently caress that. I wrote back that she needed to call the person being fired and give her the dial in number for the meeting. The cat was not just out of the bag it had already crossed the county line. A few minutes later she replied that the employee had managed to get Outlook open and join the meeting.

These stupid incompetent shitfucks. I hate people like this. We're such a small company, there's no excuse for this sort of miscommunication about such a sensitive event. None.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

HR contacted me this morning with the name of the person getting fired and that I should turn off all access at 3:30pm. This employee just returned from maternity leave so I guess they had to wait two weeks so they could fire her without getting sued. Nice people I work for.

At 3:30pm I began my usual exit checklist. Email, AD, VPN, the works. At 3:40pm the person getting fired called me because her smartphone and Outlook were prompting for her password and she couldn't get back on the VPN. Outlook was frozen and she was late to get on an important Zoom meeting that was supposed to start at 3:30pm and needed the connection info.

:smith:

I told her I'd look into it and then emailed HR to notify her. She writes back that my boss has pushed back the meeting until 3:45pm and I need to reactivate all of the user's access.

gently caress that. I wrote back that she needed to call the person being fired and give her the dial in number for the meeting. The cat was not just out of the bag it had already crossed the county line. A few minutes later she replied that the employee had managed to get Outlook open and join the meeting.

These stupid incompetent shitfucks. I hate people like this. We're such a small company, there's no excuse for this sort of miscommunication about such a sensitive event. None.

What an astounding example of callousness and incompetence rolled into a single ur-moment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Firing someone two weeks after they come off fmla is definitely not “playing it safe”.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

Firing someone two weeks after they come off fmla is definitely not “playing it safe”.

What I meant was that they might think that they are playing it safe by not doing it while she was on leave. I of course do not support what they're doing in any way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bull3964 posted:

That's not how any of that works!

Or maybe it does for him, ask how many people he has at home. Maybe we have some sort of cult situation going on.

I mean he's literally suggesting we do not ever leave the room we are in, so yeah that's exactly how that works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My point was that you don't achieve effective quarantine by grouping a large number of people together when only a few may have been exposed. Less chance of infecting people if everyone goes home and quarantines there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bull3964 posted:

My point was that you don't achieve effective quarantine by grouping a large number of people together when only a few may have been exposed. Less chance of infecting people if everyone goes home and quarantines there.

Lol if you think my team is "large" and we're not all probably already exposed.
But yeah your point stands and he's being ridiculous.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
In the middle of setting up company wide Teams for obvious reasons.

*Boss has invited you to join Facebook Messanger chat group "Company COVID 19 coping chat" along with every other person in the company*

wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

The advertising waited a whole two months. Admittedly they had an excuse, but with the size of the severance package (and the relief at getting out of there eligible for unemployment) I wasn't going to rock the boat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IT are not your delegated deliverers of bad news, grow a pair and fire the person yourself you spineless pricks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Buddy just texted me. Owners of the company made the IT staff attend cyber security webinar that starts with "Don't let your users remote in with their home PC's"

Next step: Let everyone work at home with their home PC's

CFO: "Outlook web access sends these emails slightly different than regular Outlook and it's crashing this import script...can we give them an Outlook license on their home PC?"

Fix your script, dude.

Bonus points for sending accounting data over plaintext email.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't give a poo poo if people use their home pc's. They are just limited to O365 and our other SaaS applications, which are all on ADFS/Azure MFA.

They don't get access to the VPN and the ERP, but really only like 10% of my users need that.

Also, my workday now starts at 6am, stops at ~10am, then maybe I'll put in a couple hours after 5.
I only really have 2 productive hours from 6am-8am, the rest of it is a total crapshoot.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

The helpdesk is required to install some software on all our Macs. The designated Mac Guy provided them a 20mb file called installer.sh.
I was pretty impressed that someone wrote a 20mb shell script. Then I actually looked at what was in it. Below the actual lines of the script I found:

### DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ###

... And then what appeared to be 20mb of encoded binary from an installer.

The dude literally pasted the binary from an installer into a shell script and is using that to deploy an application.
:psyduck:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I am about to lose my goddamn mind.

I set up a "Covid-19" response line where citizens can basically call in and talk to someone about 'the coronavirus crisis' instead of calling our police department and wasting our Dispatcher's time complaining that they're out of toilet paper and their favorite nail salon is closed.

Volunteers are supposed to man this line, but since none of them are essential personnel, they're all stuck at home.

So, I set up a voicemail box where people can hear updates about the situation and leave a message requesting a response if they need to talk to someone.
Voicemails get forwarded to a shared mailbox that everyone can check. They can mark emails under certain already configured catagories or flag the emails or mark them as urgent or forward them to the health department, etc...
It's a very good system actually and everyone agrees. Lots of volunteers can use it concurrently and everyone is happy.
...for exactly 4 hours.

Then I get a request to replace it with softphones for every single person who could possibly man this line. We are not licensed and like half these people don't have loving internet so we can't use our phone system.
I build a whole 'nother Asterisk phone system that the softphones can connect to and test the proof of concept and everyone likes it.
but we can't just have a public facing PBX because that's "a security risk" so it has to be behind a firewall. I ask to open up ports and NAT all the right things so that these softphones will actually work and my request is denied because, "that is insecure. Use the VPN"
So we are back to volunteers who do not have internet or company owned computers issued to them not being allowed to connect to the is softphone.

So, I just built out a whole phone system in Vonage that is "in the cloud."
Anyone can just download the apps to their desktop, or phone, login with the credentials we provide, they all share the same extension (not even a ring group :rolleyes:)
It's like $50/mo and there's no restrictions, ITS doesn't have to manage it, it does voicemail to email, it does IVR's it does loving everything you could want in a phone system and crisis management line.
It does literally everything. It's perfect.
I present it. Everyone is happy.
...for about four hours.

Now they've all changed their mind and the plan is to have calls forward to a single cellphone that they will take turns using.

Meaning non-essential VOLUNTEERS manning this "Covid-19 Response Line" will have to break quarantine, leave their house, to come to the office to physically hand the device off from one person to another. :thumbsup:

Unless they plan on doing a dead drop in a Clorox bucket or something.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
^^^ EDIT: :what:

God drat it, does NAV loving suck at connection handling.

If there is so much as a momentary hiccup somewhere between my router, the VPN, and corporate, the entire application shits itself. There is no graceful handling of a connection loss, it just boots you out and makes you restart the whole loving thing. Because heaven loving forbid there be a line of code somewhere that traps a connection drop, loops once a second for oh, I don't know, 15 seconds, and attempts to reconnect. Nope.

:downs: You dropped a packet, you must restart and reconnect because I am a dumb piece of bloated poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
gently caress you Comcast Business and your 42% packet loss. I didn't need my business class connection anyway.