Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Another Otter posted:

BFLM

Can't wait to lase OPFOR's cockpits and dazzle the crew.

Is this an air rave?

Prohibition on use of lasers near active runways temporarily lifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Definitely BFLM.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
BFLM

I don't care if it's a gimmick, I want a lazer.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Ivanov, let's try to be semi-reasonable here people. Impractical wonderwaffen is the domain of the fascist and the capitalist

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The SA-17 Buk is, objectively, the best system here by far. So Ivanov for me

But man, that thing.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 24, 2020

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

mcclay posted:

let's try to be semi-reasonable here

I'm sorry which thread are you in?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I want to propose a title change.

Strike Command: wait, is that a loving laser?

I put in the request to a mod.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

mcclay posted:

Ivanov, let's try to be semi-reasonable here people. Impractical wonderwaffen is the domain of the fascist and the capitalist

A vote for A Buk is a vote for a drunk goon to accidentally shoot down a civilian airliner.

Vote laser.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

mcclay posted:

For me, the deciding factor is not so much the weapon system as it is the detection system. Being able to see something incoming 150 nm out, even if your primary ground response is good for 3 nm, is better than seeing something incoming 60 nm out, even if you can engage it at 27 nm, because of how the OODA loop simulation works.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
We can probably have a lot of fun with a laser even if it doesn't end up being the most effective option.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Why are we even discussing this? BFLM's LASER, of course, there's no other choice!

Brovine fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 24, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Davin Valkri posted:

For me, the deciding factor is not so much the weapon system as it is the detection system. Being able to see something incoming 150 nm out, even if your primary ground response is good for 3 nm, is better than seeing something incoming 60 nm out, even if you can engage it at 27 nm, because of how the OODA loop simulation works.

This is where I'm coming from. We're buying a nice radar that happens to come with a laser.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BFLM

Good radar, free laser, unlikely to warcrimes a civilian plane !

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

GIMME MY LASER DAMMIT

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Davin Valkri posted:

wiegieman posted:

This is where I'm coming from. We're buying a nice radar that happens to come with a laser.

Yeah, the TPS-80 isn't just a good radar. It's a state of the art radar.

Late 2010 AESA, with all the jamming resistance that entails. 150nm range.

It's a total game changer. It's got such a large range that we can do full on ground controlled intercept, where it's a ground based awacs and wreck people who come into our radar bubble, when we get some SAMs and link it up with the gator it's gonna be a hell of a nasty IADS network

Not sure if CMO models the counterbattery functions that this thing has, would very much be interested since it would mean we can counter battery indirect fire hostiles in our radar bubble.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Between the 2020-era drones and the state-of-the-art radar, our support group is shaping up to be quite nice indeed.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
BFLM Laser laser laser

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

koolkevz666 posted:

BFLM Laser LASER L A S E R

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 23, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BFLM can't wait to deliver us the prototype as soon as they complete the ITAR paperwork. Nothing a few Arby's gift cards can't expedite.

Africa is big. Really big. Angola was big and we spent months there. Without a fleet of tankers or widespread basing we're going to be a regional power.

Corporate wants us to ease into this. They're a bit afraid we'll scratch the paint on these new planes. So we've got three options.

Nigeria is an ORMEC member nation and also one of the least stable. The coup was messy, they give us a front of unity but three cliques of generals are running the show. None of them like the others. (Label #3). Cameroon is attempting a "hostile corporate buyout" of border assets. The physical border remains the same, it's just Cameroon owns the mines. (Label #2). Finally is the northern border, Niger. Which is another way to spell crushing poverty. In the grand scheme of things they have a country and virtually no resources so they are angling to seize the Manganese and Chromite sites. (Label #1)

Botswana is a proxy war. South Africa (#3), a notable holdout of ORMEC is claiming Botswana as part of their sphere of influence. Angola and Zimbabwe (#1, #2), one an ORMEC members, the other trying to be, are totally respecting the South African claim publicly but privately are attempting to seize assets. Even more Angola is trying to seize assets before Zimbabwe can get them leading the "future ORMEC partners" to hire mercs to do all the dirty work for them. This is potentially the most profitable job as it plays off multiple very rich clients and keeps us firmly in the middle of the game.

The Channel of Mozambique is a major thoroughfare of minerals to the east. India. China. Japan. Korea. Every single bit of refined rare earths that comes from the western members passes through that channel. France (#1)has been a rare democratic holdout throughout all of the craziness these past years and is attempting to maintain neutrality of the channel through a UN charter. Madagascar (#3) has claimed the Comores Islands as a Madagascarian Territory and is preparing to send a peacekeeping force to keep the smelly baguette eaters out. Finally is Mozambique (#2), they want to foster a fresh atmosphere of pirating and extortion rather like Somalia 20 years prior. Except they are doing it "legally" and divying out salvage rights before the ships are sunk. Of particular interest in this theater is a lost HG asset, or so we once thought...

The HMS Liquid Asset is still alive. If this asset comes into play it is 100% totally deniable and unsupported. We'll just give it some "direction".

First pick where, then we'll see some missions and decide for who.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Botswana is mostly desert or arid. I'm not mad keen on the ability to do cool things there through mission planning. Most of the mines being fought over are going to be concentrated.

Nigeria is Angola-sized, has a very large population, and is going to be a massive campaign like Angola.

The straits are more Bering style. I don't think our assets are really set up for this though, anti-ship capability is medium, and covering air ops is also going to be a big deal here.

I'm for Nigeria. I think our forces will be better in this kind of situation, and the terrain and potential objectives are interesting.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Nigeria

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

My heart says Comores, because Boat. Unfortunately I don't think we've got the naval strike assets to pull it off; maybe if we still had the Atlantique, alas. My wallet says Botswana, because it's centrally located and we can merc it right up for a lot of wealthy people. But look at that resource-map of Nigeria yooper fished up! It's got towns, it's got rivers, it's got all the mines. That's going to be a fantastic playground with absolutely all sorts of poo poo on the map. Even if you just plunk down a building or three (ex. Mine, Warehouse, Offices) for each resourcing site on the map that's still a crazy busy map with so much stuff to accidentally bomb, so many targets of opportunity or potential complications, so many opportunities for our shiny recon assets to, well, shine. Plus, with our airfield near the river delta in the south (near Ebony?) our cutting-edge radar would have excellent coverage on at least one of the major conflict areas. This is it folks.

Nigeria!

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 25, 2020

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Agreeing with Nigeria

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I'm thinking Nigerians...Yes. Nigerians will do nicely. (VOTE COUNTS FOR NIGERIA)

(Also, this is a quote of the first episode of Leverage, in case you were wondering)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Madagascar! Reunite with our long-lost Hired Goons! Help France! No downsides!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Whenever I'm in doubt, I ask myself "What would Horatio Nelson do?"
Horatio Nelson would definitely not help France :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is the phase of the game where we're building workers and getting our economy going, and getting our feet wet with some light skirmishes. Going into Nigeria all big-dick-energy isn't going to make us money to afford more shiny lasers once we prove the worth of this one and get BLFM to offer us a discount contract on future purchases, and our current assets aren't built for naval operations.

Botswana

Maybe the Chinese will move into the channel in the meantime? Then we get to dick over the Chinese again!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I know it's already been chosen but I wanted to post the gif dammit

I also choose Comores because Bote and

quote:

Finally is Mozambique (#2), they want to foster a fresh atmosphere of pirating and extortion rather like Somalia 20 years prior. Except they are doing it "legally" and divying out salvage rights before the ships are sunk.

Let's be pirates like Jack Aubrey and sink the French and make mad dosh at the same time! What ho, confusion to Boney and whatnot!

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 25, 2020

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I gotta vote Madagascar as the true home of piracy and general rogueishness.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Botswana

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Comores for bote action.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Comores

Because letting the botes not do anything is just a waste of assets

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I, for one, am not surprised we're seeing Biafra II: Electric Boogaloo.

Nigeria. Botswana and the Comoros could put us into a pissing match with someone who has a serious air force ... and we're really a ground strike force at this point.

(Yooper, I really liked all the procurement options and hard choices we had to make this time around. Next go-around, could we learn the theater first, and then get our buying options?)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 23, 2021

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Nigeria.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
BOAT!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm thinking Madagascar since it's topical.

Also botes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Going for the naval campaign is cute, but we bought planes for a ground war.