Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stump collector posted:

It seems pretty cool so far to me. I don't know if I'm significantly dumber and shittier at games four years after DO4M but I'm getting my rear end kicked repeatedly on ultraviolence. So far the levels seem too small for me to do my thing and I might have to play on noob difficulty to get through it

I just played them back to back and Eternal is harder across the board. I finished 2016 on Nightmare and found Ultra Violence in Eternal only marginally easier than 2016 Nightmare. I bumped it down to Hurt Me Plenty because I realized I'm not in the mood for a game to push my poo poo in right now and I'm still dying a lot, and I can pretty much clown on HMP in 2016 without ever dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The combat in Naughty Dog games sucks rear end. It's so bad that their games would be better if it was removed entirely and replaced with a text screen that says you shot a bunch of mercenarires/zombies/whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

Is that the blizzard dude whose sole idea is to just scream CORRUPTION over and over

Yes, and it makes a lot more sense considering he's basically just ripping off Warhammer for everything without any of the context for it

Also didn't know he retired and lol that he apparently got PTSD from Overwatch? Gotta tell us that story.

Also the TF2 classes aren't really generic, p sure they all have canon names (except the Pyro) at this point.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Doom eternal is good but it's a different game to doom 2016 and I personally don't enjoy the new gameplay features as much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, and it makes a lot more sense considering he's basically just ripping off Warhammer for everything without any of the context for it

Also didn't know he retired and lol that he apparently got PTSD from Overwatch? Gotta tell us that story.

Also the TF2 classes aren't really generic, p sure they all have canon names (except the Pyro) at this point.

Pyro is the pyromaniac from the seminal computer video game Pyro ][

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

All Zelda games are bad

stump collector
May 28, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I just played them back to back and Eternal is harder across the board. I finished 2016 on Nightmare and found Ultra Violence in Eternal only marginally easier than 2016 Nightmare. I bumped it down to Hurt Me Plenty because I realized I'm not in the mood for a game to push my poo poo in right now and I'm still dying a lot, and I can pretty much clown on HMP in 2016 without ever dying.

i feel like i clowned on UV in doom4 in general. i've only really failed a fight in eternal once on UV, but I couldn't beat it after 30 minutes so I just shut it off and went to bed. Of course in 2016 I wouldn't do that but i'm an old now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Daggerfall owned so hard back in the day but I’m pretty sure I would hate it if I tried to play it today.

I’ve been playing the Unity remake and it’s fun, but it definitely gets very repetitive very quickly and you can tell they were very excited to be able to make multi-level dungeons that cross themselves repeatedly.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
What's the worst game everyone has played all the way through? I think mine was Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

DildenAnders posted:

What's the worst game everyone has played all the way through? I think mine was Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

super godzilla, 20 times

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Alpha Protocol, probably. I played the poo poo out of that game to see all the different ways I could get things to go. But the actual game part of it was just dogshit.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Probably Shrek on the Xbox. I don't finish alot of games in general.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The Outer Worlds. Bad writing, bad gameplay, excruciating inventory management.

christmas boots posted:

Alpha Protocol, probably. I played the poo poo out of that game to see all the different ways I could get things to go. But the actual game part of it was just dogshit.

I’m still mad about the one boss fight you couldn’t cheese through with Chain Shot. It’s one of my favourite games anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

definitely Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge which is like five minutes of setting up a deck and 80 hours of mashing A and (very occasionally) R

i still kinda liked it, I’m a sucker for games that play themselves

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Doom 2, hands down

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

i still kinda liked it, I’m a sucker for games that play themselves

Have you played Injustice 2 or MK11? You can set an AI fighter up and have it play the towers/an AI fights only mode. It’s weirdly fun.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

DildenAnders posted:

Devil May Cry 2. I was so hyped that I Phantom Menaced myself into enjoying it at first but ended up returning it after the super short campaign

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Quake

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

world of warcraft

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Undertale. I should have quit it when it ran out of tricks but everyone kept saying the ending is so mind blowing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dragons dogma, twice, thoroughly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Yoshi's Story

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wow, you managed to last all twenty minutes?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

DildenAnders posted:

probably la noire or bioshock infinite

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Martman posted:

Wow, you managed to last all twenty minutes?

My friends and I legit did 100% crap to unlock extra Yoshis

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

I loving love Yoshi's Story. The music still haunts me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7i8ZHDNHyM

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you played Injustice 2 or MK11? You can set an AI fighter up and have it play the towers/an AI fights only mode. It’s weirdly fun.

I jammed on Injustice 2 for a while early this year and got pretty into it, I’ll have to check that out!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lazyhound posted:

I’m still mad about the one boss fight you couldn’t cheese through with Chain Shot. It’s one of my favourite games anyway.

which boss is that, the helicopter?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Best part of Alpha Protocol...

TURN UP THE RADIO

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DildenAnders posted:

Unquestionably the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

I jammed on Injustice 2 for a while early this year and got pretty into it, I’ll have to check that out!

You’ll probably like it a lot- with Injustice 2 AI fights were like 75 percent of my game time.

E: It’s great with friends, too, like a DIY Saltybet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Unquestionably the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Finishing that poo poo was an absolute struggle and it's like 2 hours long. I would say it's the most boring walking sim ever made except Everybody's Gone to The Rapture also exists.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Finishing that poo poo was an absolute struggle and it's like 2 hours long. I would say it's the most boring walking sim ever made except Everybody's Gone to The Rapture also exists.

Now I'm curious, but what even makes a walking sim "good"?

The entire premise seems pitched as Myst without any puzzles, so I don't know how that would work to make a fun play-through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good story, good pacing, just generally being entertaining...I mean the term walking sim is usually a derogatory term for a certain type of game, but it's also pretty broad. Some have puzzles, different ways to affect the story etc. If you want to know what can make a "walking sim" good I suggest starting with Soma and What Remains of Edith Finch which are both fantastic. There's plenty of other good ones but those are the two that really stand out for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
im sure there's ways to make a walking sim fun but the first rule is probably something like "can't be a metaphor for how hard it was for you to get your degree in southeast asian studies"

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

As a kid I played through The Star Wars Episode 1 game multiple times.

I thought it was great back then but looking at videos of it now... yikes.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

DildenAnders posted:

I tend not to finish games I really don't like, so I'm gonna have to say Fallout 3.

Is that game insurmountably bad? Absolutely not. It just never felt like much fun to me, despite the fact that I loved Bethesda games and I love post apocalyptic settings.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

Probably the Aaaah! Real Monsters SNES game. Platformers where the character is animated like a cartoon character rather than a videogame character kind of suck in general, and this was a particularly lousy one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

I tend not to finish games I really don't like, so I'm gonna have to say Fallout 3.

Is that game insurmountably bad? Absolutely not. It just never felt like much fun to me, despite the fact that I loved Bethesda games and I love post apocalyptic settings.

That one was weird. When it came out my roommate and I were addicted to it for days but when we snapped out of it we had no desire to go back at all. New Vegas, though, I've beaten 3-4 times. I think FO3 had the bones of a good game but wasn't actually interested in cohering into being one. The plot was bland and the environments were mostly just disconnected setpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

DildenAnders posted:

Me and a friend played obscure 2 co-op and it was horrible. The first game wasn't perfect but the sequel managed to ruin everything good about it.

Up until then it was Resident Evil 6. We put it down for like 3 years after we got to Chris' lovely campaign and only finished it when we ran out of co-op games.