Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hexyflexy posted:

No as far as I remember, that was kinda the entire point of Delenn's comfort in becoming half human to partially atone for it.

To follow up on that, it was similar to what was happening to the Vorlons and Shadows, but a precursor to future times, the Mimbari were on the cusp of becoming one of them and Delenn pretty much had to make the choice on what they did and how if affected everyone. They backed off and decided not to act as gods, which they could have because Mimbari tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

B5's defense grid has a lot of stock footage of its guns deploying any time someone starts poo poo outside the station.

Yeah but there isn't the equivalent for the minbari, which is a bit alanis

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebmojo posted:

Yeah but there isn't the equivalent for the minbari, which is a bit alanis

Minbari ship design is more elegant, the gun ports basically just open and presto - guns! Which is probably why they energise the weapons as well; the objective is to be open handed with what they've got, but that's hard to do when you designed your turrets to avoid visible panty line. If they had Earthforce style flip-up turrets they wouldn't have to do that.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Came back today to finish my rewatch of this on Amazon Prime to find that they dropped it :smith:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Jedit posted:

Minbari ship design is more elegant, the gun ports basically just open and presto - guns! Which is probably why they energise the weapons as well; the objective is to be open handed with what they've got, but that's hard to do when you designed your turrets to avoid visible panty line. If they had Earthforce style flip-up turrets they wouldn't have to do that.

They didn't charge their weapons though; their ship's scanners were so strong it jammed the EA fleet's own sensors, blinding them. Thinking the jamming/open gunports meant an attack, the EA fired first.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Blindeye posted:

They didn't charge their weapons though; their ship's scanners were so strong it jammed the EA fleet's own sensors, blinding them. Thinking the jamming/open gunports meant an attack, the EA fired first.

It does make you stop and think of all the coincidences that lined up for the war to happen.

1) Humans deliberately exploring space on their border to meet them, having heard stories of a reclusive race (and deliberately ignoring the warnings from at least one other race)
2) Minbari philosophy of open gun ports
3) A commander on the first contact ship that was known to be bad in first contact situations (uhhh...so how many wars with other races were the humans involved with thanks to this guy?)
4) Strong Minbari tech that both (unintentionally) jammed Earthforce sensors and make their ships nearly invisible to their radar
5) The ship just so happened to have the Grey Council and their religious and cultural leader onboard, who died from the assault
6) Delenn, who was the deciding vote, was so anguished, even more than the rest of the Minbari, that she decided to Holy War us humans.*

*Though I do find it odd that she was one of the ones who realized it was wrong to have open gun ports, that the humans might see it as a sign of aggression...and then when they DID see it as aggression, then has the gal to saw they attacked "without provocation."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

*Though I do find it odd that she was one of the ones who realized it was wrong to have open gun ports, that the humans might see it as a sign of aggression...and then when they DID see it as aggression, then has the gal to saw they attacked "without provocation."

I think that was just supposed to be a result of how Dukhat's death had temporarily enraged her but it was a little clumsily written. Her casting the deciding vote to RIP AND TEAR did that well enough on its own.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

It does make you stop and think of all the coincidences that lined up for the war to happen.

An Austrian nobleman decided to visit a hospital and someone forgot to tell his driver that the route had changed. The result was the First World War.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

sebmojo posted:

i just don't remember seeing any is all

The Earth-Minbari War started because the Minbari custom was to open gunports as they approached new people. Earth thought they were hostile and ganked Dukhat.

e: I should refresh before I hit post

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
When you decide to watch a Babylon 5 episode to take your mind off things, but it turns out to be an episode where an infectious disease sweeps the station and everyone goes into quarantine :shepicide:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

man, the gathering is actually fairly pimp, takashima and dr guy aside. it's amazing to watch after seeing the entire series.

Doctor guy is a decent actor who just didn't have it right, and laurel is unfortunately just bad but it's fun imagining how much better ivanova would do her lines.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TK-42-1 posted:

The Earth-Minbari War started because the Minbari custom was to open gunports as they approached new people. Earth thought they were hostile and ganked Dukhat.

e: I should refresh before I hit post

and yes i know, but it's just weird we literally never see a minbari gunport opening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

and yes i know, but it's just weird we literally never see a minbari gunport opening.

They were already open, obviously.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

When you decide to watch a Babylon 5 episode to take your mind off things, but it turns out to be an episode where an infectious disease sweeps the station and everyone goes into quarantine :shepicide:

On the other hand, if you're watching sequentially you're into one of the strongest runs of the show, including The Best Episode

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

sebmojo posted:

man, the gathering is actually fairly pimp, takashima and dr guy aside. it's amazing to watch after seeing the entire series.

Doctor guy is a decent actor who just didn't have it right, and laurel is unfortunately just bad but it's fun imagining how much better ivanova would do her lines.

I couldn't

No, really. I can live with phaser-like remote controls for guns. I can live with sketchy communicators. But maaaan.

Minbari makeup

DELENN WTFUUUUUCK

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I couldn't

No, really. I can live with phaser-like remote controls for guns. I can live with sketchy communicators. But maaaan.

Minbari makeup

DELENN WTFUUUUUCK

At least in her case, it's because the original plan was that she was a male* Minbari and would be transformed not only to half-human, but also into a woman at the end of season 1.

*Or maybe it was that Minbari had no gender so she would have gone from androgynous/gender neutral to a woman, I can't recall.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

She was supposed to be male

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Iirc they were going to go with minbari as androgynous?

I actually loved how dirty the station is in the pilot, it's very 1980s ny club. But oh god laurel t.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

They were already open, obviously.

:catstare:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Sharlin ship models have huge external fixed cannons so I'm not even sure what "open gun ports" means in this case. Do they have little flaps over the barrels that flip open, or Bic pen caps that pop off?

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 29, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the in the beginning bit is hilariously on the nose

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

thread posted:

[stuff about Minbari castes]
Just watched Moments of Transition and Delenn literally says "You had forgotten the Worker caste, hadn't you?"

I think it's a nice summary of the conversation, and the way Minbari society presented itself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sebmojo posted:

Most of Straczynski's writing is hilariously on the nose

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

sebmojo posted:

Iirc they were going to go with minbari as androgynous?

I actually loved how dirty the station is in the pilot, it's very 1980s ny club. But oh god laurel t.

IIIRC they were supposed to look androgynous (or at least hard to tell which was which) but JMS said he wanted Delenn to start off as a Male and switch. I’d have to break out the script book to be sure though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just a bunch of good old boys being super pumped to start shooting aliens

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

The Sharlin ship models have huge external fixed cannons so I'm not even sure what "open gun ports" means in this case. Do they have little flaps over the barrels that flip open, or Bic pen caps that pop off?

IIRC it's the gun ports in the shields.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CainFortea posted:

IIRC it's the gun ports in the shields.

Minbari ships don't have shields. Pretty much nobody in Babylon 5 outside of the First Ones or the Thirdspace aliens have them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I assume "shield" just meant the flat bits on the side that stick out a little.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No, I thought minbari cruisers had actual shields, but checked the b5 wiki and they don't.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Alright weird question that’s been bothering me, why are so many characters seen specifically ordering or drinking water at the bar? Garibaldi makes sense, but also Talia specifically asks for it and the doctor guy only has a glass of water in at least one scene. Was there some kind of restriction on what could be shown on TV? Is everyone an alcoholic? (Or am I just overthinking this)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Alright weird question that’s been bothering me, why are so many characters seen specifically ordering or drinking water at the bar? Garibaldi makes sense, but also Talia specifically asks for it and the doctor guy only has a glass of water in at least one scene. Was there some kind of restriction on what could be shown on TV? Is everyone an alcoholic? (Or am I just overthinking this)

All they had otherwise was Zima.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

People were drinking alcohol and getting drunk all the time there, so that can't be it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr Franklin... likes other things.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I imagine telepaths indulging in mind-altering substances is frowned upon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dr Franklin... likes other things.

his store-brand equivalent in the pilot was hilariously on the nose 'yes, i've been working extremely hard and have not been sleeping and therefore been using stims to keep up'

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

sebmojo posted:

his store-brand equivalent in the pilot was hilariously on the nose 'yes, i've been working extremely hard and have not been sleeping and therefore been using stims to keep up'

Xenobiological Research has a type

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jms posted:

We'd originally planned to go for a more vague sexuality for Delenn; a male physically and primarily in the voice, on top of the natural female movements one gets from an actress. In post-production, however, we couldn't get the voice to sound as good and male as we'd wanted. In addition, a couple of convention showing of a rough cut saw people responding VERY strongly to her voice as it was, so we finally decided to let it stand and change the one reference to "he" to "she," and that was the end of it. Delenn was originally going to be a fairly sexually-ambiguous character...a male character, played by a female, with a computer altered voice...but we couldn't make the alteration sound good enough to satisfy us, so we left her a her.

tracked down the jms comments on delenn in the pilot.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Water is not very abundant on the station, most of it is recycled so...Drinking water is a status symbol of sorts too.

sebmojo posted:

tracked down the jms comments on delenn in the pilot.

That's a fair point but her appearance was so appalling in the pilot. Though it would play out nicely with the whole 'after war' premise.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 31, 2020

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Water is not very abundant on the station, most of it is recycled so...Drinking water is a status symbol of sorts too.

But, wouldn't virtually anything else be even more rare? Beer/spirits would need to be shipped in, unless those monks also brewed some, and that process would use up a lot of water. Fruit juices would be similar, given that arable land is so limited they can't even grow coffee legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fell Fire posted:

But, wouldn't virtually anything else be even more rare? Beer/spirits would need to be shipped in, unless those monks also brewed some, and that process would use up a lot of water. Fruit juices would be similar, given that arable land is so limited they can't even grow coffee legally.

They're talking about ordering fresh bottled water, not the recycled water. At least, that's the impression I always got.