Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
OverWatch looks really cool and instead of a PVP first person shooter they should make a turn-based menu-driven rpg with lots of dialogue and cutscenes and plot.

I'd play that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Teach posted:

(Sorry for the snatched pics.) It's OK so far - very quick B&W, slow as poo poo on colour or 2-sided. But I'm in no hurry.

If you are just printing out school work you might want to check the dpi settings, and other "quality" things. These things can come defaulted to maximum everything because it sucks ink out and looks good when you print that photo one time. Turn it all down to "draft" and it spits out 10 pages a minute of text and 2-3 of color sorta thing. For black and white text it is often no different in actual quality for literally 10% of the ink.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh drat! That’s ambitious! Good call getting a contractor and a designer. I wish I had done all that stuff upfront at my place instead of knocking out projects one at a time and trying to live around knocking down plaster walls. Everything is so much easier when you don’t have to move a buncha crap

Yeah, we’re not moving in until all the work with walls is completely done. I ripped out a vanity and smashed up an enameled tile counter in the guest bath and man did that make a dusty mess. Our walls are plaster over gypsum board so I know the dust will continue for a while. I’m glad I have a cartridge dust mask.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rockcity posted:

Yeah, we’re not moving in until all the work with walls is completely done. I ripped out a vanity and smashed up an enameled tile counter in the guest bath and man did that make a dusty mess. Our walls are plaster over gypsum board so I know the dust will continue for a while. I’m glad I have a cartridge dust mask.

Good call on the PPE, dust will absolutely gently caress you up... don’t forget the safety squints!

For content, bought a protectli mini-pc appliance to replace my unifi router with pfsense and redo a buncha stuff on my home network rack:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bought a mid-priced Burr grinder to replace my cheapo blade grinder I've had for like ten years.

Let's see if my coffee snob friend is right that there's a difference in taste on my 30 dollar drip maker :smuggo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you have an auto drip maker? If so it probably still taste like crap because it won't get the water hot enough. The easiest way to improve it is to boil your water first on a stovetop then pour it into your auto. Or better yet just buy a $5 drip cone at the super market. But yes the grinder should be a massive upgrade over the blade grinder.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the posters that told me about the printer

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I paid $25 for a dongle so I can plug a midi keyboard into my iPhone.

I also have not decided on a keyboard yet so...

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you have an auto drip maker? If so it probably still taste like crap because it won't get the water hot enough. The easiest way to improve it is to boil your water first on a stovetop then pour it into your auto. Or better yet just buy a $5 drip cone at the super market. But yes the grinder should be a massive upgrade over the blade grinder.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077

Yeah this is going to be step one in the journey; I also have a french press so I imagine that's where the benefit will be mostly !

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rolo posted:

Overwatch is a really neat game played by incredibly toxic people. I wish I still liked it.

So every multiplayer video game?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aramek posted:

OverWatch looks really cool and instead of a PVP first person shooter they should make a turn-based menu-driven rpg with lots of dialogue and cutscenes and plot.

I'd play that.

right? I love the aesthetics and the evident care they've put into the world-building and whatnot but I have absolutely zero interest in multiplayer gaming apart from yelling badly-remembered and/or made-up CB lingo at my partner when we're both playing American Truck Simulator

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pastry of the Year posted:

right? I love the aesthetics and the evident care they've put into the world-building and whatnot but I have absolutely zero interest in multiplayer gaming apart from yelling badly-remembered and/or made-up CB lingo at my partner when we're both playing American Truck Simulator

I think that Overwatch 2 (not sure when it'll get released, my gut says fall?) will have some sort of single-player campaign.

As a nice little treat, any new heroes, cosmetics, and other game changes they do for OW2 will be included in OV1 for free, so no one is "required" to buy OW2 unless you want the single player gameplay and/or improved graphics/performance.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Exactly what does a toxic multiplayer experience look like?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

colas posted:

Pretty much like these forums. People getting way too invested in what other people say and being super upset about it, as opposed to like muting people and moving on with their lives.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

There is only One True midi keyboard, and that is the Roland AX-1:

Strap one of these to your belt an walk around the neighborhood spreading electronic music joy!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

colas posted:

There's a large amount of "gamers" who solely play games to be mean and hateful to others. Usually they target minorities and women.

I play online games mostly muted these days and it makes it a fun experience again.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Solice Kirsk posted:

There is only One True midi keyboard, and that is the Roland AX-1:

Strap one of these to your belt an walk around the neighborhood spreading electronic music joy!

You mean, only one Keytar

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

colas posted:

Endless harassment. From before the game starts until the match ends. From all sides, for all reasons. Play well, play poorly... it doesn't matter. The goon groups were as bad as the general public. Some of the most evil online garbage I've ever seen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yes, yes. But if it's going into a phone it had better be a keytar. They run on batteries!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Pretty much like these forums. People getting way too invested in what other people say and being super upset about it, as opposed to like muting people and moving on with their lives.

PYF is good, actually. If American Truck Simulator had multiplayer (whaaaat?) and I had a microphone, I would happily bungle deliveries of explosive gas with you guys while saying "breaker ten-four roger niner" all night long.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I play online games mostly muted these days and it makes it a fun experience again.

Yeah, I kinda bounce between turning chat and voip on and off. It's hit or miss.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

If you are just printing out school work you might want to check the dpi settings, and other "quality" things. These things can come defaulted to maximum everything because it sucks ink out and looks good when you print that photo one time. Turn it all down to "draft" and it spits out 10 pages a minute of text and 2-3 of color sorta thing. For black and white text it is often no different in actual quality for literally 10% of the ink.

Really appreciate this - it's made all the difference. My Macbook remembers the last-used settings, and I can switch back to high-def for my printouts of early-career Britany Spears. Double-sided is a bit slow, but it will be, I think - it's a small-ish printer. Happy with it so far.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Teach posted:

Really appreciate this - it's made all the difference. My Macbook remembers the last-used settings, and I can switch back to high-def for my printouts of early-career Britany Spears. Double-sided is a bit slow, but it will be, I think - it's a small-ish printer. Happy with it so far.

Glad it worked. Double sided the printer might be literally stalling for time to make sure the ink dries. Duplex printing in a laser is more or less just double the time with a tiny amount of time for it to re-feed the paper itself. If you ever see the paper getting "wet" you're putting too my ink into it for the weight/quality. Make sure you've set the paper type appropriately too, they might be assuming you're using high quality paper and not lovely copy paper like you definitely are using.

Also if anyone is scrolling through this thread thinking about getting a printer, unless you have a deep desire to not wait 5 days to receive photo prints in the mail for almost no money, just get a laser printer. Even color lasers are cheap these days, and Brother puts out a trooper of a ~$100 (depends on sales timing) B&W laser w/ network connectivity and sometimes a duplexer. You will become acutely aware of how much garbage 100% coverage poo poo tickets have on them, but otherwise they are ultra cheap. Mine is 10 years old at least, on its second toner cartridge (starter got me 984 pages, I'm at 4327 pages now), and the drum claims 67% of its life is left.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ended up going with the Arturia Minilab! :homebrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4F9gRBnfA

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mu Zeta posted:

This got me thinking about my Bonavita drip coffee maker. Just tried with warm water and the coffee ground slurrey stayed at 200-203F for the entire brew.

I'll recommend it to anyone who wants to drink large volumes of decent quality coffee, but isn't ready to go any farther with the prep.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bonavita is coffee snob approved. For a while the SCAA only approved of Bonavita and a super expensive brand called Moccamaster.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mu Zeta posted:

Bonavita is coffee snob approved. For a while the SCAA only approved of Bonavita and a super expensive brand called Moccamaster.

Technivorm :eng101:

The Moccamaster is a model of coffee machine they make.

Technivorm is the best name.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have an unnatural lust for the technovorm. I love the design of that thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Are there any bougie coffee makers which actually have a 12 cup glass carafe? I tried to overpay for a drip machine the last time my Cuisinart overpriced garbage failed and everything was 6-8 cups.

Wound up with a $40 Hamilton Bay one. It has so far outlasted our last $80 Cuisinart.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I (unsurprisingly) have a Moccamaster and it's the bees knees.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

vivat virtute posted:

Technivorm is the best name.

Isn't it though? I want one solely for the name. If Technivorm isn't in Dune or a 90's point and click game I'd be surprised.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I also have one, since 2007-8 maybe. It's great, in that it just works and never breaks like my old machines used to. I only use cheap preground coffee though.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I want the lime green one because I live my life a quarter-mile at a time.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have a mr. Coffee, he's not nearly as snooty as Dr coffee.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Aramek posted:

I have a mr. Coffee, he's not nearly as snooty as Dr coffee.

My dad is Mr Coffee, call me ‘and Pie’

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

My dad is Mr Coffee, call me ‘and Pie’

I actually thought about you while watching Coffee and Cigarettes last night (having a Jim Jarmusch fest, watched Ghost Dog too). The part with Tom Waits and Iggy Pop. They talk about how they're the coffee and cigarettes generation, and the ones before them being the coffee and pie generation. Something like that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

colas posted:

I actually thought about you while watching Coffee and Cigarettes last night (having a Jim Jarmusch fest, watched Ghost Dog too). The part with Tom Waits and Iggy Pop. They talk about how they're the coffee and cigarettes generation, and the ones before them being the coffee and pie generation. Something like that.

I guess that makes millenials Monster and cigarettes, and gen z are bang and juuls

The actual origin of my username is that when I was making my account I had just seen Brick, which features a diner called "Coffee And Pie, Oh My"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I guess that makes millenials Monster and cigarettes, and gen z are bang and juuls

The actual origin of my username is that when I was making my account I had just seen Brick, which features a diner called "Coffee And Pie, Oh My"

What is bang?

wait is this like one of those deez nuts jokes? gently caress

colas
Feb 14, 2007

No, it's this weird energy / pre-workout sorta drink with creatine and poo poo in it.

And I have Brick too, very unusual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm surprised "high school film noir" isn't a bigger genre.