Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Couple things I just saw on Tumblr:

A mellow dining environment

A bathroom I don't have words to describe

Supervillain Lair

Where can you even see those CRTs from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This showed up in my feed too! It's so weird, I kind of love it. Except the carpet, of course.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm getting 'Dallas' vibes - here's the master bathroom at the Southfork Ranch

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Help me make sense of what those yellow orange things are in the center background. Is that a shower? The place where you store your human clone for when you need spare organs?

The Bloop posted:

Supervillain Lair

Where can you even see those CRTs from

Eh, it's more for background noise. Enjoy a soothing bath with videodrome playing, can't go wrong!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

value-brand cereal posted:

Help me make sense of what those yellow orange things are in the center background. Is that a shower? The place where you store your human clone for when you need spare organs?

I'm guessing sauna.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It looks like a low-rent version of Lex Luthor’s place in the original Superman movie.

In light of that, I’d take it with no changes. Except maybe the carpet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Permanent piss towels nailed to the floor.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This looks like something out of Videodrome.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A hotel people pay money to stay in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gschmidl posted:

A hotel people pay money to stay in.

Apart from the bed-room lamp-shade looks nice.

Anyway is that an Ericsson Dialog?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is how murder sprees start.

“I just saw red and I can’t remember anything after that.”

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Anyone know of any coupon codes or deals with Room&Board? I found some furniture to furnish my apartment and while other retailers have had liquidations or sales with everything going on R&B hasn't yet.

I'm not sure if it's stuff that goes on sale often or not?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there a good place to review couches and ask for advice on getting one? My wife really wants to get a new one to go with our new house, but doesn't know what she wants.

Don't really want to browse through a bunch of furniture stores right now because of COVID-19.

New living room is 14’ wide. This’ll be our first time buying a couch. Before this we’ve had a bed (for laying on during tv marathons) and sky chairs. The bed doesn't really fit in the new house (it's too open), but its been over a decade since I lived in a house with a couch and I’m not sure where to start looking. The review site’s I’ve found so far have been thoroughly unhelpful.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 23, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Unfortunately couches are one of the furniture items that I really prefer to test out before I commit, just because the nice ones are so frickin' expensive. If you've got an IKEA budge tthe reviews on their website seem pretty helpful at least.

The Zillow search term of the day is "passive solar"

not sure what the purpose of a having bunch of itty bitty windows instead of a few larger ones is

the sales ad started with "In need of some 'social distancing'?" so I guess that's a thing realtors are doing now

A cordwood house! Cordwood is a pretty neat building material using dried softwood logs/scraps and mortar.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm the disproportionate monkey butt on the lamp.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Youth Decay posted:

not sure what the purpose of a having bunch of itty bitty windows instead of a few larger ones is

Lots of small off the shelf windows are cheaper to buy than a few custom long windows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm the disproportionate monkey butt on the lamp.

You have a good eye for monkey butt, I didn't even notice it. Monkey Butt Detection is a weird super power, but at least you're making the most of it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of like the look of that cluster of tiny windows, but holy hell is that a bad architectural decision

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Percentage chance of slips / trips / falls into the bath pit approaching 100%
I like the original-Blade-Runner-ness of this but its in no way practical.

I had a great companion bathroom to this I posted elsewhere ages back where the bathroom was floored in steel safety plate, it was a treat.

edit: this came to light while looking though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXPrx5TbRdU

All from https://jpegfantasy.tumblr.com/ which you should go browse for a while.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 24, 2020

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bath of the Illuminati

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

At last, my dreams of bathing in a fried egg can be realized

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Okay, now that you mention it I can see that.

My first impression still holds true, though - someone is way too fond of Christmas.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I'd say, "this looks like my grandmother decorated it," but she had matching toile upholstery and bedding. GET ON HER LEVEL.

(for reference)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Present yourself to the kitchen ziggurat and make obeisances."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For all those times you want to keep an eye on dinner, but you also want a good soak.

Not sure why it has a little hotel room fridge. And no stovetop?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Sunken bathtub? Check.
Pebbles? Check.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fuckshitdamn

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Strong Nicholas Winding Refn energy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Youth Decay posted:

Unfortunately couches are one of the furniture items that I really prefer to test out before I commit, just because the nice ones are so frickin' expensive. If you've got an IKEA budget, the reviews on their website seem pretty helpful at least.

Thanks. I'm hoping for a nice couch though. I'm not sure what the price range for a comfortable couch that doesn't look terrible is, but I was expecting it to be around 2k. I guess I'd be willing to go up to 5k. I bought a Leap2 chair last year for the office and I've been very happy with it so far.

Ideally something that has a recliner or something else good for laying out on. Maybe one of those extra long ottomans that you move up against the couch and basically lay down on? Not sure. The couch should be a place to relax, not another place I need to maintain good posture.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LLSix posted:

Thanks. I'm hoping for a nice couch though. I'm not sure what the price range for a comfortable couch that doesn't look terrible is, but I was expecting it to be around 2k. I guess I'd be willing to go up to 5k. I bought a Leap2 chair last year for the office and I've been very happy with it so far.

Ideally something that has a recliner or something else good for laying out on. Maybe one of those extra long ottomans that you move up against the couch and basically lay down on? Not sure. The couch should be a place to relax, not another place I need to maintain good posture.

Watch the last episode of “Curb your enthusiasm” before making your decision.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

For all those times you want to keep an eye on dinner, but you also want a good soak.

Not sure why it has a little hotel room fridge. And no stovetop?

I think that's a dishwasher.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You could fill a mini-fridge in the bathroom with beer, for a relaxing bathtub beer.

That's all I got, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bongo Bill posted:

Could be. But that would mean both the fridge and stovetop are not in the picture. This kitchen has a terrible work triangle.

Good relaxation triangle tho.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Lmao. Needs all-seeing webcam.

Bongo Bill posted:

Looks like a side-opening handle. Beer fridge or wine cooler yes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

At last, my dreams of bathing in a fried egg can be realized

Full immersion toilet

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

LLSix posted:

$2k-$5k will buy you an attractive comfortable well-made sofa at Design Within Reach. Especially if you live anywhere near one of its handful of warehouse outlets.

Whatever you do, do not buy a sofa you haven’t sat it. I can’t stress that enough.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "passive solar"

I love the idea of big wide open windows like this in theory but in practice... I rented a house for a long weekend with some friends in the mountains in Colorado last fall with a wall full of windows facing west. It was pretty nice to be able to look out over the mountains until 1pm or so when the sun began to punish anyone who was foolish enough to sit in the living room. Even with all of the shades down and any windows in the rest of the house open it was still pushing the upper 80s inside on a 60-degree day. I can’t imagine trying to live with that in the summer.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Freaquency posted:

I love the idea of big wide open windows like this in theory but in practice... I rented a house for a long weekend with some friends in the mountains in Colorado last fall with a wall full of windows facing west. It was pretty nice to be able to look out over the mountains until 1pm or so when the sun began to punish anyone who was foolish enough to sit in the living room. Even with all of the shades down and any windows in the rest of the house open it was still pushing the upper 80s inside on a 60-degree day. I can’t imagine trying to live with that in the summer.

That's why passive solar houses (actually designed to heat mostly or entirely with passive solar, not just realtorspeak for "has a bunch of windows") have a double wall. The window wall (often angled depending on # of heating days) on the outside and a vertical trombe wall made of dark concrete or stone with fewer windows. The wall provides thermal mass to help regulate the house's temperature. The huge stone hearths/fireplaces seen in many of the homes also helps with thermal mass.

Here are some proper old-school trombe walls.

There are a bunch of other neat features of old passive solar homes. For example barrels of water were/are also used to store heat.

And air chimneys or cupolas were opened in the summer to allow warm air to escape and provide passive cooling.

(the one on the left, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Freaquency posted:

Yes, that's how greenhouses work. Great most of the year, but deadly in July/August.