Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

duckmaster posted:

If it is true then can they explain the stats?

We've had 424 dead out of a population of 66 million, so if we assume that 40% of people have already been infected then the deaths should level out at about 1,000.

Italys population is 60 million so if the death rate is 1000/66million, or 1/66k, then they should have about approx 909 deaths. They've had 6,820 so far, and although it seems to be slowing it doesn't seem to be tailing off....

I'd guess the argument would be that the deaths disappeared into the normal winter respiratory deaths.

I do wonder about this, to be honest. There were some super nasty bugs going around over the CHristmas period, including the one I and mmy wife both had that I wasn't aware I had until too late to stop passing it on to her, and which knocked me out for a good week or two and left me with a persistant cough for another couple of weeks.

E: 208 years ago in 1812 a battle happened that inspired the only piece of music I'm aware of that uses loving cannons. Which, as a child, I heard live. With real cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Read a bit more and he's right.

I stand corrected.

Unrelated:

I'm going offline completely until Thursday (no relation to my correction above!) I'm just getting nothing else done but refreshing social media. Normally I take the weekend off but didn't this time.

Stay as safe as possible all!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 24, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd guess the argument would be that the deaths disappeared into the normal winter respiratory deaths.

I do wonder about this, to be honest. There were some super nasty bugs going around over the CHristmas period, including the one I and mmy wife both had that I wasn't aware I had until too late to stop passing it on to her, and which knocked me out for a good week or two and left me with a persistant cough for another couple of weeks.

E: 208 years ago in 1812 a battle happened that inspired the only piece of music I'm aware of that uses loving cannons. Which, as a child, I heard live. With real cannons.

The flu is pretty nasty, yeah.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If the infection rate was as high as that model, how would so many tests have come back negative in the past few weeks? It's certainly much, much more widespread than the official positive test numbers say (we only need to look at S. Korea to know that's true) but half the population just doesn't make any sense.

I mean, I would love it if the horrible 5 day fever and bad chest I had a few weeks ago was Covid because it would mean me and my family have already been exposed and gotten over it, but the out of hours GP I saw when I was sick dismissed it out of hand and said she'd seen a lot of whatever virus I did have around. Gotta assume she knew what she was talking about, and that she'd be able to see the difference between standard seasonal flu and this new thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sassassin posted:

The flu is pretty nasty, yeah.

No, this wasn't the flu, it was a dry chesty cough.

I know what the flu looks like, I've not had it since 2014. I had it during the winter olympics that year.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Has anyone tried to redirect their mail through Royal Mail? My cards all fail, despite me confirming in app / putting in a text code.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

except it doesn't match with hospitalisation rate from covid-19 - icus would have been overflowing months ago. italy would be acting like this workload was normal for them over the last few months and we wouldn't have doctors in this state of panic

it's an opinion piece dressed up as academia to show dissent and for someone to get a paper published and show how they helped during a pandemic. even if it were well-intentioned that this thread could poke a thousand holes in the theory shows why it shouldn't get past peer-review - but there's enough shoddy journals that this is getting press as-is

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

[This post has been deleted.]

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lots of not particularly politically engaged or aware folks on my Facebook posting things like 'let's get this over with so we can enjoy summer' and you know what they might be being optimistic but I'm just going to vibe with the idea we'll be back to some semblance of normality by July/Aug for my own sanity.

fwiw I do think we're likely to be over the worst of it by then, though doubtful things will start being 'normal' again till the end of the year. Hopefully by September/October

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Lots of not particularly politically engaged or aware folks on my Facebook posting things like 'let's get this over with so we can enjoy summer' and you know what they might be being optimistic but I'm just going to vibe with the idea we'll be back to some semblance of normality by July/Aug for my own sanity.

fwiw I do think we're likely to be over the worst of it by then, though doubtful things will start being 'normal' again till the end of the year. Hopefully by September/October

think instead of banging on your pots and pans i'm just going to slap you until you stop being hysterical

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh yeah, the leadership. I managed to get myself membered in time, but then had to submit proof I was on the electoral roll.

Which made me thing, doesn't that mean you can't be a Labour member if you've lived outside the UK for 15 years? And don't Labour oppose that policy for UK voting?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/Berniewouldawon/status/1242552447383429120

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The exception handling on this version of BidenOS is really lacking.

I guess we can be glad he didn't just repeat the last word in the buffer until someone unplugged him.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jesus. Is he even going to make it to November?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can't wait for this oval office to die

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1242561369985159179?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

All parties, including the virus, need to get around the table with the UK and talk it out.

Lockdowns are wrong at a time when negotiations are ongoing

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

thespaceinvader posted:

No, this wasn't the flu, it was a dry chesty cough.

I know what the flu looks like, I've not had it since 2014. I had it during the winter olympics that year.

Influenza is a family of viruses of which there are three or four most common in each flu season and those are vaccinated against. They generally mutate slightly which is why a new vaccine needs to be developed every year (sometimes more often as the southern hemisphere has a different flu season to the northern).

One of the flu viruses going about during the 2019/20 flu season was a particularly nasty little bastard called A(H3N2) - the A stands for Australia so you may have heard it called "the Australian flu". They thought they'd got a lid on it after 2017/18 but it returned last year.

One of the symptoms is a dry, chesty cough. Sorry, but you had the flu.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/...fkUMxfDU3j7ggl4

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

[This post has been deleted.]

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We are pioneering mass deaths along with a few other countries who have great healthcare systems, and our position as a world leader in this field will pay off come the Brexit negotiations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

think instead of banging on your pots and pans i'm just going to slap you until you stop being hysterical

What, you actually believe we'll have this wrapped in 12 weeks?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

Has anyone tried to redirect their mail through Royal Mail? My cards all fail, despite me confirming in app / putting in a text code.

I did it in Oct/Nov last year.
I used barclaycard from a computer (Windows 10) not a phone.

(Really going now).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 24, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/cgreensit/status/1242537278142058496?s=21

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

my brain is incapable of thinking of it like that. it owns tbh

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

he sounds half cut

also he looks even more ridiculous in motion than I had anticipated

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did it in Oct/Nov last year.
I used barclaycard from a computer (Windows 10) not a phone.

(Really going now).

Thanks for delaying! I tried on Safari with one of the cards and it went straight though. Chrome didn't work at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ThomasPaine posted:

Your mistake was letting him know where you live.

SA mods are more dangerous than any virus.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Britain never totally cleans up its messes. We're still suffering for the brexit vote, for the financial crisis, there's a lot of fallout from Iraq and colonialism. The dissolution of the monasteries is still causing a bit of trouble in some areas, and a lot of this stems back to how we reacted when Rome fell.

We never truly clean up our mess, just build it up like a thickening patina over the surface of the island.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Source?

For the quote, and the crossbows

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Azza Bamboo posted:

just build it up like a thickening patina over the surface of the island.

I'm sure I've read on eBay that an authentic patina is a positive thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Your mistake was letting him know where you live.

SA mods are more dangerous than any virus.

i've never p;osted my balls on the forums m8

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

What else are you hiding?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
edit: deleted

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 25, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Renaissance Robot posted:

and the crossbows

As well as crossbows, I've seen a few people working in gunshops mention that they've been cleared out of replica co2 pistols recently. People have definitely been tooling up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

No time like the present.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

duckmaster posted:

Influenza is a family of viruses of which there are three or four most common in each flu season and those are vaccinated against. They generally mutate slightly which is why a new vaccine needs to be developed every year (sometimes more often as the southern hemisphere has a different flu season to the northern).

One of the flu viruses going about during the 2019/20 flu season was a particularly nasty little bastard called A(H3N2) - the A stands for Australia so you may have heard it called "the Australian flu". They thought they'd got a lid on it after 2017/18 but it returned last year.

One of the symptoms is a dry, chesty cough. Sorry, but you had the flu.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/...fkUMxfDU3j7ggl4

I wonder why the doctor didn't mention the possibility when I went back after 6 weeks of continuous coughing at the end of January.

I can well believe it, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms I would normally associate with flu.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Actually, conversely... why is the reported infection rate so *low* in this country? I know there's a fair few rich worried well getting tests, but as the NHS are apparently only testing people with shortness of breath bad enough to require hospitalisation surely the rate of positive results should be sky-high?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, Musk's a dick, but in this case he's right.
Why are billionaires hoarding all the PPE anyway

Stay safe, Jaeluni

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Borrovan posted:

Stay safe, Jaeluni

Same reason they're hoarding all of everything else.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Borrovan posted:

Stay safe, Jaeluni

There was no downside to wealthy companies stockpiling hundreds of thousands of masks back when they weren't being used in huge quantities. They're not particularly complex or expensive to make, the world just wasn't buying enough of them to prepare for disaster, and only buying them from China to save fractions per unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

thespaceinvader posted:

I wonder why the doctor didn't mention the possibility when I went back after 6 weeks of continuous coughing at the end of January.

I can well believe it, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms I would normally associate with flu.

GPs don't tend to mention possibilites because people then insist on getting tested for it. There's little point in bothering to test you for whichever type of flu you've got or not got unless you're in a high-risk category. In which case you'd probably have been given (or at least offered) the vaccination in November.