Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Thanks everyone.

One more question. Is this game worth forking over $400 or whatever the VR headset costs for? It's literally the only VR game I'd want to play.

Questions like this cannot be answered by other people and I'm kinda sick of seeing them.

Think about it. For one person maybe it is, for another maybe not. Its subjective. Is 400 a lot of money for you or not? We don't know this, you do. Do you love half life or is this a passing interest? These things aren't objectively true for all humans.

You gotta decide how to budget your income, we can't really help you.

Game is fun. VR is fun but some people don't care for it.

Try to find somebody with a headset you can test out first maybe?

All us posting here, it was worth it. But there's goons who sold their headsets who didn't like em or never used em. I don't know which you'll be. You might find it annoying or tiresome to play games in VR. Or you might love it more than anything.

E: Like my general advise would be that no game is worth buying a console just for that one game, but then I've done stupid things like buy an Xbox for Halo or buy a PS3 to play Demon's Souls so who the gently caress knows :shrug: Up to you to make that call though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Questions like this cannot be answered by other people and I'm kinda sick of seeing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PIckHrZ0o

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Of course there had to be a super :pseudo: like in every popular new thread.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

My usual recommendation is Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, sort of an immersive sim ala System Shock/Deus Ex with VR interaction and physics. It's not AAA, but it's pretty close and I actually prefer some aspects to it's gameplay over Alyx.

I really want to play it, I guess I will do it after Alyx. I guess the main difference is that HL Alyx is still a very linear FPS, in fact I died twice by trying to fall in parts where I thought I would survive, but no, the game fades to red. Or the moment where you find the dark area of the sewers and you need a flashlight, you are directly and magically blocked from trying to enter before getting the light, the game is guided and linear like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Thanks everyone.

One more question. Is this game worth forking over $400 or whatever the VR headset costs for? It's literally the only VR game I'd want to play.

It’s not the only game you’d want to play though. By definition if you enjoy HLA, there are other games you’ll enjoy because they do many similar things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Or the moment where you find the dark area of the sewers and you need a flashlight, you are directly and magically blocked from trying to enter before getting the light, the game is guided and linear like that.

Continuing with this line of thinking, the flashlight is automatic which kind of sucks, there are some dark rooms where I'd like to use it but I can't because the game decides for you. And the introduction of mantling to the game is problematic, as in several places I found that it allows the player to find 'blocked' areas where invisible forces don't allow you to enter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Continuing with this line of thinking, the flashlight is automatic which kind of sucks, there are some dark rooms where I'd like to use it but I can't because the game decides for you. And the introduction of mantling to the game is problematic, as in several places I found that it allows the player to find 'blocked' areas where invisible forces don't allow you to enter.

Something secret steers us, apparently

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How many Chapters are there? I'm currently on Chapter 5 and I'm like 6 hours in. Is the game really 15~ hours like I heard prior to release?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

sigher posted:

How many Chapters are there? I'm currently on Chapter 5 and I'm like 6 hours in. Is the game really 15~ hours like I heard prior to release?

11 chapters apparently.

Also, I've played a bunch of VR and regular games and I don't think any game has ever got me scared and sweating as much as dealing with headcrabs and zombies. Doesn't help that they made the corpses gnarly as gently caress

Also gun fights with the Combine are super tense

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

How is it on WMR? Haven't heard many impressions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Kelly Bailey still do the soundtrack?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, this is the best VR game I ever played.

Spoiler something for me, I just found the shotgun, how long is the headcrab and zombie area? Those were always my least favourite areas in HLs and in VR they are 10 times more terrifying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Kelly Bailey still do the soundtrack?

Yup, and it's exactly what you'd expect from Half-Life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sigher posted:

Yup, and it's exactly what you'd expect from Half-Life.

So weird as hell industrial electronic crossed with occasional guitar wailing and horror ambience?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

How is it on WMR? Haven't heard many impressions.

Not bad, does the job pretty well, of course there's better but it has been a wonderful experience so far.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I've heard that the fastest locomotion speed is a brisk walk. is it true that you can't run at all?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arcsquad12 posted:

So weird as hell industrial electronic crossed with occasional guitar wailing and horror ambience?

Yeah, I looked it up though and apparently he didn't do the soundtrack, Mike Morasky did, but Bailey was involved in some capacity. Maybe it was just old music that gets reused. My mistake. Still, it sounds exactly what you'd expect a Half-Life soundtrack to sound.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

lurker2006 posted:

I've heard that the fastest locomotion speed is a brisk walk. is it true that you can't run at all?

One thing that is immediately apparent when playing HL2 or any other FPS ported to VR is how comically off-scale typical FPS environments are. HL:A's environments are scaled accurately to real life, which means they're much smaller and therefore traversal distances are shorter. You can also use zoom teleport when using stick movement, which lets you traverse a little faster than usual and functions as a sprint or jump depending on context.

sigher posted:

Yeah, I looked it up though and apparently he didn't do the soundtrack, Mike Morasky did, but Bailey was involved in some capacity. Maybe it was just old music that gets reused. My mistake. Still, it sounds exactly what you'd expect a Half-Life soundtrack to sound.
I found it to be a bit more portally, which makes sense.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 24, 2020

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

SCheeseman posted:

One thing that is immediately apparent when playing HL2 or any other FPS ported to VR is how comically off-scale typical FPS environments are. HL:A's environments are scaled accurately to real life, which means they're much smaller and therefore traversal distances are shorter. You can also use zoom teleport when using stick movement, which lets you traverse a little faster than usual and functions as a sprint or jump depending on context.

I found it to be a bit more portally, which makes sense.

So you can't realistically play the game purely with locomotion? I get the reasoning of them not letting you sprint through their immaculately crafted levels but that's a little disappointing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Any of you tested the game on a HTC Vive Cosmos? It's like half the price of the Pro kit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

lurker2006 posted:

So you can't realistically play the game purely with locomotion? I get the reasoning of them not letting you sprint through their immaculately crafted levels but that's a little disappointing.
You can play 99% of the game with a stick, but there are moments where you contextually might jump across a gap or crawl through a window. Those are handled with teleportation and yeah it is a bit disappointing, particularly after playing a lot of Saints & Sinners which handled that kind of stuff physically in a comfortable way.

ymgve posted:

Any of you tested the game on a HTC Vive Cosmos? It's like half the price of the Pro kit.
Get a Quest instead, or a Rift S. The Cosmos's controller tracking is broken.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SCheeseman posted:

You can play 99% of the game with a stick, but there are moments where you contextually might jump across a gap or crawl through a window. Those are handled with teleportation and yeah it is a bit disappointing, particularly after playing a lot of Saints & Sinners which handled that kind of stuff physically in a comfortable way.

Get a Quest instead, or a Rift S. The Cosmos's controller tracking is broken.

No stores in Norway have Quest or Rift S in store. It's HTC or nothing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ymgve posted:

No stores in Norway have Quest or Rift S in store. It's HTC or nothing.

Yeah I just came back to edit the post after remembering all the supply shortages.

The only Cosmos variant that's any good is the Elite, which comes with base stations and a couple Vive controllers. These are v1 base stations, so tracking quality isn't as good as the Pro, but it's still far better than the Cosmos inside-out tracking. It's compatible with Valve's Index controllers if you want to get them at some point too, stock Cosmos isn't.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

Something secret steers us, apparently

This is what the HL series is almost completely about. There's a reason why every mainline HL game starts in a train, and why HL1 and 2 end in one. You are literally on rails right from the very beginning.

Incidentally, Episode 2 ends right before you are about to pilot a vehicle which would grant you total freedom of movement, the helicopter.

In a weird way, Half-Life 2 starts a theme of augmentation and extensions of the body: the player can't even run properly until they wear the HEV suit, lengthy sections almost impossible to clear without a vehicle, teleporters running the big conflict of the plot, the whole Combine idea, headcrabs piloting people and giving them inhumane powers, implanting minds into host bodies...

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 24, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How common are jumpscares in the game? I really can't stand it when they do that poo poo and they even had one in those pre-release gameplay videos.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

How common are jumpscares in the game? I really can't stand it when they do that poo poo and they even had one in those pre-release gameplay videos.

I'm trying to recall instances of outright jumpscares and I'm not sure I can remember any. Most of the creepiness is from mood, enemies usually give ample warning before attacking. The jumpscare in the trailer isn't even in the game

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jack Trades posted:

there was only one jump scare i remember so far that got me, and i dont even think it was intended to be a jump scare

when Russell's drone gets resurrected and suddenly pops up in a doorway, jesus christ. it soon after dies again.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The manhacks scared the poo poo outta me pretty good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, that's sounds hopeful, because I'm gonna be honest even the second half of Lone Echo was really stressful for me, even though it has no jumpscares at all, because I'm a big baby.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
What the gently caress. I was able to successfully create custom controller bindings the first time I played, but now I can't even select the custom option in steam VR anymore. I'm able to select custom controls for every other game, but for HLA it just doesn't select.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game could be harder. I'm playing at Hard already. My little stash

That's 5 health critters (two on the arms and 3 on the ground) and a few grenades. Because yes, of course I'm going to transport stuff with my hands if the lovely inventory only allows for 2 items. What kind of playtesters had Valve? They should know gamers will do this poo poo, it's like transporting a explosive crate to have an advantage in the next fight. And yes you can take them to the next level. Although I will clarify that was my peak cheesey scavenging moment, I'm not really transporting 7 items always... just 2 or3...

That's two of my complaints, super limited inventory (2 slots for all your grenades, 2 types of health items and quest items is a joke) and the game could stand to have a 'Very Hard' difficulty too. As a minimum it should be 2 slots per arm.
I also miss the ability to find and use armor, like in the old games. FPS without armors are really missing how good it's this simple mechanic. From a gameplay perspective armor is another item to collect and use in combat so another reason to explore, and it's ideal in how it works: it's a clear advantage, it can't be stacked up with health and it isn't a simple 'hp pool', but a %DR, so it stills make the player receive damage so he still has a reason to avoid enemy fire.
Finally, we have discussed before the lack of melee, which is weird here (both as a Half Life game and as a VR game). Gameplay-wise, having a melee weapon like a crowbar is useful as a tool for resource management, to exchange life for ammo: simply fight the next two or three headcrabs with melee, that way you won't waste ammo, in exchange of surely receiving 2 or 3 hits.

edit: BTW, I'm at the Hotel basement. A new enemy prowls...

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 24, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone notice Russel has a container full of 3DFX video cards in his lab?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

That's two of my complaints, super limited inventory (2 slots for all your grenades, 2 types of health items and quest items is a joke) and the game could stand to have a 'Very Hard' difficulty too. As a minimum it should be 2 slots per arm.

I would say the answer is a bucket but then I ran into this bug :(

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantVictoriousWerewolfCharlietheUnicorn

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I liked the toilet flush sound part. I instinctively turned to the door the second when it played and it took me a moment to process how bizarre it was

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

Oh, so simple, so obvious, but I didn't think of it. I guess I'm still don't totally think 'in VR'. The bug is strange, as the game has usually very solid physics. I like how you can drop casually objects on a table or a shelf and it won't glitch or jump or move nearby objects magically, the same with the ability to move partially big containers, inclining them sideways while one edge is still touching the ground, in other games items can be at rest on the ground or being moved by the player, and states between those two are more unstable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Turin Turambar posted:

The game could be harder. I'm playing at Hard already. My little stash

It's almost like the Gnome achievement, but the whole inventory system.

The limited inventory really loving sucks. I can have a shotgun that can automatically load itself, a pistol that uses both a magazines and a drum, but I can't possibly have multiple pockets or pouches to store poo poo?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm a wuss and playing in Easy difficulty. My wrist slots are reserved for spare grenades. I try to remember health thingies and do backtrack if necessary and possible.

Lemming posted:

:doh:

So obvious.

Can you carry it over across map loads?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone played this with WMR yet? I couldn't resist at least trying it today for a few minutes but... it's just not working. I have the MR portal running fine and when I launch the game, it opens SteamVR and then nothing happens. In the task manager, it seems like it starts and then quits in a few seconds.

This is with an Odyssey, Windows is at 1909 and SteamVR and the WMR plugin thing seem to be up to date although with steam who knows. 1070 with the latest game ready drivers. I've had issues running some games before, for example Accounting and The Lab never worked properly, they launched but never work on the headset.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm a wuss and playing in Easy difficulty. My wrist slots are reserved for spare grenades. I try to remember health thingies and do backtrack if necessary and possible.

:doh:

So obvious.

Can you carry it over across map loads?

Yeah, although I have a suspicion that's part of the reason why they started traveling through the geometry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm about two hours in and I'm having a good time. I'm glad there's some more Half Life to play.