Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Brosnan posted:

maybe Tekken really isn't the game for you.
at this rate a lot of people are going to think this. a new patch drops and lowhigh turns the game off to play sf5 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fahkumram is strong, not laynch Leroy strong but definitely good.

His animations are fantastic as well

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Sagat has been my boy since I first played SF so getting his edgelord brother is pretty cool. I reeeeeally hope hes balanced so I can actually play him soon.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Brosnan posted:

You can't figure out what you could possibly do to interrupt the 20 frames between them doing a jab and a hellsweep coming out? (Wait you are probably fighting Tekken gods who are frame perfect so you only have like 17 frames instead.) I think if that seems like a godlike mixup to you, leaving you no option but to guess at point blank over and over, maybe Tekken really isn't the game for you.

People use the jab just to demonstrate how good the tracking is now. Obviously you're probably not going to do jab into hellsweep to mix people up, but you can easily set up an unavoidable mixup with f4 or just any knockdown since you can't even roll away safely anymore (second hit of cd41 clips you, and db4 hits grounded because why the gently caress not).

I play mishimas and this change is stupid. Kazuya was in a good place before, devil jin just need a power mid slightly better than uf4 to become extremely strong again. Removing the main weakness the characters always had isn't really an interesting way to buff a character and it takes a way a lot of options from the players.Having to compensate for their inherent weaknesses was one of the main reasons I enjoyed playing mishimas, and being given a magic solution to that problem on a silver plate isn't very satisfying, so I'm gonna switch the now much more honorable character: Hwoarang

Oh and by the way they might've buffed the electric recovery on hit as well so the already very doable ewgf ewgf ewgf b21 and ewgf ewgf ff4 combos are now going to be stupid easy and not really special

neosloth fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 24, 2020

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
How do I Xiaoyu good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

40 Proof Listerine posted:

How do I Xiaoyu good

Enter AoP literally constantly and then push random buttons

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You have to be an absolute nincompoop to defend Murray on this one.

Dude has been crying for ever about how movement being strong in Tekken makes it too difficult for newbies to win all while being stuck in orange ranks himself.
Also they clearly don't give a single poo poo about the tournament scene and what it's going to take to TWT and get their ten bucks and happy meal, or whatever the prize pool is, it's all about grey ranks winrates.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

You're in luck:

Why would you sidestep criticism when you can just block it.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I played like 50 matches as Fahkumrum today. More than half were mirror matches, and, surprisingly, not a one was against a Mishima. I don't know how to play Fakhumram, and neither did the people I played against, so he might be completely broken, but he seems fun to play!

How do I Xiaoyu good

Her range is bad and her pokes aren't very damaging, but she has decent launchers from a variety of stances and a bunch of moves that launch on counter hit (SS4, 4~3, her orbital, ws1, RDS 1, etc.). Experienced players will have at least one go-to answer for AoP and RDS, so you have to distract them, disguise your transitions, and be pretty unpredictable if you want to enter those stances while in proximity to your opponent. I don't know if these will help you be a good Xiaoyu, but these are some things to consider throwing out when using her:

- 1, d2 is your fastest punisher and will get you safely into RDS. After this patch, b3 will get you there with + frames on block, which sounds pretty neat, though it's a high with poor range.
- From RDS, the newly improved 3 (now -14 on block instead of -19) is a wall-splatting mid that crushes both highs and lows. If you keep 'em guessing with highs and lows (d3 is your go-to fast low poke from here; d4 is slow and launch punishable, but since it nets you a guaranteed 4~3, you might want to try it out to give them more reason to want to duck), you'll definitely catch people with 3. I get greedy and go for the imminently punishable but very satisfying ff3+4, 3+4 launcher too often, but I'd probably be better served just continuously tricking people into ducking into the 3, since in my experience it's probably Xiaoyu's most high percentage move.
- Once she's in rage, her RDS d3 goes from an unseeable but insignificant low poke to an unseeable low launcher, so at that point almost anyone who knows the match-up is going to be thinking about either blocking low or hop kicking you if you're approaching them from RDS.
- If you transition into RDS/use a move from there that gets blocked but doesn't leave you minus enough to get launched, and you know your opponent is going to punish you, you'll be able to save your hide with her 1+4 parry every time until they change their timing--
- There are so many ways to get into AoP, and I have no idea which ones are considered the strongest options. I like ff1d (?) and uf1, but the latter is super unsafe.
- If you want to really excel with Xiaoyu, figure out which strings you can interrupt with AoP (and then tell me, so I never have to learn how to program the AI and try to do the lab thing).
- If you feel like your opponent is beating you to the punch when you're entering AoP (or RDS), bail and live to fight another day.
- If you're being pressured by someone pressing all the buttons all the time, her b1 comes out at a ridiculous 9 frames and can really make rushdown-type players second guess themselves when you're both low on health.

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 25, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Fakhumrams 3 hits from range 4 and his ff3 from range 5 lol. He's gonna be a beast at keeping range. His jab also has the follow through animation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Allegedly the throw break window got reduced from 20f to 15f.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Would wait for more confirmation, but that seems like somewhat of a deal.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I wouldn't believe much of anything that isn't in the patch notes or comes with evidence. People already throwing around "EWGF recovers on hit faster" now with no proof or reason why that would be.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Fakhumram is very fun. I don't know how to maximize his guard break stuff but he is going to be a terror at the wall.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jack Trades posted:

You have to be an absolute nincompoop to defend Murray on this one.

Dude has been crying for ever about how movement being strong in Tekken makes it too difficult for newbies to win all while being stuck in orange ranks himself.
Also they clearly don't give a single poo poo about the tournament scene and what it's going to take to TWT and get their ten bucks and happy meal, or whatever the prize pool is, it's all about grey ranks winrates.

I mean, he's not wrong about the movement. Backdash cancelling and the inconsistencies of sidestepping are something the game should probably change. However they aren't doing that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/zen_leaf/status/1242833007540658176

it's just fuckuman, because having soul calibur guard breaks wasn't enough to make sure you spend money on this character to lab him

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Do other characters have unique throw break timing? Or if it just this guy?

What a weird place to be different than the rest of the cast if it's just him

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Do other characters have unique throw break timing? Or if it just this guy?

What a weird place to be different than the rest of the cast if it's just him

Nah command throws and normal throws have universal timings. This is probably an oversight

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Seltzer posted:

Nah command throws and normal throws have universal timings. This is probably an oversight

I'd put an asterisk on that. After Leroy and the Mishima buffs, anything is possible with pushing DLC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think 6 frames of reduced tech time that someone had to datamine from the PC version is not a bullet point on pushing DLC.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm positive there are other command throws in the game with shorter break windows but they usually have larger startup to them. this case is probably an oversight though

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

In Training posted:

I think 6 frames of reduced tech time that someone had to datamine from the PC version is not a bullet point on pushing DLC.

The character miraculously doing well in online and tournaments is one though. Leroys orbital being -3 wasn't a bullet point either

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nobody is going to run a tekken tournament for at least 12 months.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

In Training posted:

Nobody is going to run a tekken tournament for at least 12 months.

Plenty of people just switched to running tournaments online instead.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Roluth posted:

I'd put an asterisk on that. After Leroy and the Mishima buffs, anything is possible with pushing DLC.

What would buffing non-dlc chars have anything to do with pushing dlc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:jerkbag:

EDIT:

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 28, 2020

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

its unfortunate that games as a service has completely poisoned the well of fighting games, meaning the chances of getting the wiiu version of tag 2 ported to a relevant platform is near 0 because it could potentially cannibalize sales of dlc season passes. I feel like a lot of the pressure and drama building up over the past little while would disolve if people could just play that game instead if they have issues with what the devs clearly want t7 to be.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not gonna dig up all the stuff from Murray's two day meltdown but it's incredibly clear he doesn't understand his own game and is not fit to be the talking head for it either.... It's honestly kind of incredible. What has he been doing in the Tekken team all these years to not understand his own product. I legitimately had a better understanding of balance at green ranks like three months in to playing the game.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I'm not gonna dig up all the stuff from Murray's two day meltdown but it's incredibly clear he doesn't understand his own game and is not fit to be the talking head for it either.... It's honestly kind of incredible. What has he been doing in the Tekken team all these years to not understand his own product. I legitimately had a better understanding of balance at green ranks like three months in to playing the game.

I'm coming in late to Tekken and still thought Harada ran things

Aside from being allergic to sidesteps what's Murray's deal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm coming in late to Tekken and still thought Harada ran things

Aside from being allergic to sidesteps what's Murray's deal

I'd have to make an effort post and I don't know if I wanna do that. Maybe another time.

Anyways Fakhumram is a really fun balanced and unique character. Everyone should give him a spin. I don't think any character will replace Eddy for me but Fakh's bully style, punishment, and reach are very cool.

I think this video is a really good primer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12yDrIlK20w

After seeing it it made me wonder why more tekken content creators dont have a second person controlling the other character instead of fumbling with the training dummy. It makes everything more fluid and understandable. Also theres only certain things a human player on defense can demonstrate.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I've been maining Eddy since he entered the series and I will literally never stop slippery kicking and standing on my head ever for any reason

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I picked up Armor King recently as my sub, after maining Lei for ever now and man does it feel good to stomp on people after they refuse to get up into my oki, especially since Lei has no real good tools for scaring people into getting up.

d444 aka WHY ARE YOU STAYING DOWN GET UP MOTHERFUCKER

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

AK's repeated stomp is one of my favorite moves in the game, poo poo is brutal

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Afaik it's non jailing and minus 18 so watch out

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Faffel posted:

Afaik it's non jailing and minus 18 so watch out

What's jailing?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

one of many bullshit fighting game jargon terms that don't really mean anything until they're explained but are quick and there really isn't an easier way to say it in the english language so it sticks.

a string of moves "jails" if it prevents the opponent from doing anything after they block the first hit. a string that doesn't jail means that you may be able to duck or low parry an incoming high/low, or sidestep part of the move, or throw out a parry or a power crush, meaning that what might otherwise be safe to throw out can actually be heavily punished.

for example, all of kazuyas jab strings starting from 1 make you unable to do anything except block if he does them as fast as possible, except for his 1243, which has a low hit. it's a bit of a gimmick but you can just hold low parry as soon as you see that you're blocking kazuyas 1 jab and any possible string of moves he does after this will keep you blocking (so even though you aren't holding back you'll still block, as long as your character is still in blockstun when another attack hits you don't have to manually keep blocking) but if he goes for the low hit you'll automatically low parry him and look like a genius. of course this has it's own countermeasures, but against people who love to mash these moves it's pretty funny.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

darealkooky posted:

one of many bullshit fighting game jargon terms that don't really mean anything until they're explained but are quick and there really isn't an easier way to say it in the english language so it sticks.

a string of moves "jails" if it prevents the opponent from doing anything after they block the first hit. a string that doesn't jail means that you may be able to duck or low parry an incoming high/low, or sidestep part of the move, or throw out a parry or a power crush, meaning that what might otherwise be safe to throw out can actually be heavily punished.

for example, all of kazuyas jab strings starting from 1 make you unable to do anything except block if he does them as fast as possible, except for his 1243, which has a low hit. it's a bit of a gimmick but you can just hold low parry as soon as you see that you're blocking kazuyas 1 jab and any possible string of moves he does after this will keep you blocking (so even though you aren't holding back you'll still block, as long as your character is still in blockstun when another attack hits you don't have to manually keep blocking) but if he goes for the low hit you'll automatically low parry him and look like a genius. of course this has it's own countermeasures, but against people who love to mash these moves it's pretty funny.

Don't you have to time the low parry input? Can you really just hold it?

Man.. this changes everything

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah its active for a couple of frames.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

oh, I should clarify that the "you don't have to keep blocking if you're stuck in blockstun" doesn't apply if you have to change directions (to block mid/low) but I don't think there are any strings of moves that keep you in blockstun the entire time and have that kind of mixup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are also moves that don't have any mixup and they just poo poo on autoblock just because Tekken is inconsistent like that.