Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anno posted:

It’s incredible how many Tomb worlds I have in my relatively small empire. If I could get someone to better than 30% habitability I could almost double the number of planets I currently have colonized. And three appear to be special. Sadly all the tomb-world favoring species in the game are primitives or don’t have a planet.

probably found the ruined core area? i see those a bunch but never colonized them. i think they’re part of some sort of event chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

So when I used to play you could pick what type of person you wanted to be on your colony ship and I guess you still can..

I have a arid world that's 58% habitability and like a ton of negatives for consumer goods/etc that is reducing habitability - what is this about really? Is this because I've expanded too much? I have people who like Arid climates and they're at 58% as well.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

annoyed that i forgot you can’t switch out of inward perfection

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

200 years into my first Federations game I feel like this is the best that Stellaris has been. Could change with time, though I feel the changes this patch won't really wear especially thin. Not what I expected a couple months ago when I was rather sad and down on the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

There's not really much reason to. You can strip the guns off your ships to artificially degrade your fleet power, wait for people to attack you, then steamroll them.

A small price to pay for access to the adaptability tree and all that pop growth.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Isn't there still the Chosen One event that swaps your civics?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So, my research federation now covers roughly 2/3s of the galaxy, have been at wars for decades now, fighting against the spiritualist hordes, a robot uprising, a crime syndicate and spiritualist ancient empire.

Oh yeah, and one of the other fallen empires are going active.

This is going to be fun.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

binge crotching posted:

You have to be pretty deep into the Psionic ascension path, which with the way techs work in this game is no sure thing, and even then the event can fail and pop your leader like a grape

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

probably found the ruined core area? i see those a bunch but never colonized them. i think they’re part of some sort of event chain.

Can you still get the ratchet from that event chain?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

binge crotching posted:

no idea, i’ve gotten that shroud event before and it just gives your ruler immortality iirc

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The psionic mouse guys? Yeah they can appear, but it doesn't seem to always happen.

Caros
May 14, 2008

no idea, i’ve gotten that shroud event before and it just gives your ruler immortality iirc

After a few years you get a second event allowing you to make them your God king which turns you spiritualist and (I think) militaristic?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They're the marginally different Kettlings rather than Ratchets, but yes you can, I got them this weekend.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Caros posted:

After a few years you get a second event allowing you to make them your God king which turns you spiritualist and (I think) militaristic?

Does it do that to megacorps? Cause Id like to be able to have the Chosen One without turning my megachurch into a regular empire

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Caros posted:

oh man nice. i’m almost done piercing the shroud (wink woink) so hopefully i’ll grab it soonish

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am still really fixated on ringworld. So nice and efficient and you stay competitive (build alloy foundries)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Autism Sneaks posted:

im i a similar boat where the absurd pop growth robots can get with the Cybrex relic means every few months having to shuffle robots around, and though my economy is at the point I can spam ringworlds (or as much as the game allows you to do so) though I have to manually set the maintainence drones to high priority until I fill the sections up a bit or they will inexplixably ignore them for more complex jobs while sitting at 0 stability from a huge amenities shortfall

Or just download Automatic Pop Migration and never have to worry about resettling micro ever again.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Man you can get some obscene pop growth with a tree of life hive mind, especially once you get cloning vats unlocked

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

AnEdgelord posted:

Does it do that to megacorps? Cause Id like to be able to have the Chosen One without turning my megachurch into a regular empire

On my recent megacorp run I found that you can have a chosen one as a megacorp, but I didn't get the event prompting the choice to turn into a divine empire.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Anticheese posted:

On my recent megacorp run I found that you can have a chosen one as a megacorp, but I didn't get the event prompting the choice to turn into a divine empire.

He or she was already Universe CEO. what more could He/She want?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Shadowlyger posted:

Or just download Automatic Pop Migration and never have to worry about resettling micro ever again.

This is an amazing mod, and now that I've tried Tiny Outliner too I'm not sure I could live without either.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Were they your ruler? The event relies on them not being so I think? Alternatively the RNG just is an rear end in a top hat like that, it's still not particularly likely in any normal length game.

AtomikKrab posted:

I am still really fixated on ringworld. So nice and efficient and you stay competitive (build alloy foundries)

It's real, real good. Like yeah it's overpowered as poo poo, but it's fun god drat it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

No, it's only for regular empires that aren't already imperial (so democratic, oligarchic, or dictatorial).

Caros posted:

Fanatic Authoritarian / Spiritual. It also changes your civics to Philosopher King, Imperial Cult, and Aristocratic Elite, and makes you Imperial (with the Chosen One as your King/Queen).

PittTheElder posted:

Were they your ruler? The event relies on them not being so I think? Alternatively the RNG just is an rear end in a top hat like that, it's still not particularly likely in any normal length game.

They can be any leader, not just your ruler.

Autism Sneaks posted:

You have to be pretty deep into the Psionic ascension path, which with the way techs work in this game is no sure thing, and even then the event can fail and pop your leader like a grape

Yeah, but if I'm playing Inward Perfection I always go that route anyway, for the chance to get out of it if I want.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

karma_coma posted:

So when I used to play you could pick what type of person you wanted to be on your colony ship and I guess you still can..

I have a arid world that's 58% habitability and like a ton of negatives for consumer goods/etc that is reducing habitability - what is this about really? Is this because I've expanded too much? I have people who like Arid climates and they're at 58% as well.

You can switch which species you're looking at in the expansion-menu, which will tell you the real habitability per species. The strategic map just shows you the best a planet can theoretically have, based on all your species. Just in case you didn't know.

If none of your species can get better than 58%, you can either colonize the planet with robots (as soon as your techs allow it), do it anyway, or try terraforming it into something better.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

i’m naturally ratchet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lolling at someone worried about colonizing a planet at >50% habitability, when my species have Habitat preference and the only habitable planets around me are all tomb worlds; thanking the great Space Butterfly that we have a migration treaty with some rock people

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

I'm having fun with Federations but I'm noting a really obnoxious trend of "fixing" glaring problems by dovetailing them onto other mechanics in a bad way.

Late game pop micro getting you down? Don't worry, we took care of it...with an edict. That you have to spend decades clawing through hell to unlock through the new galactic community mechanic. And moves maybe 5 pops a year if you're lucky.
Arrested Development is a bullshit fun-tax that shouldn't exist? You can avert it now by picking an otherwise worthless civic with fairly strict requirements. And it only works on two of the 5 leader types. And it doesn't even fully prevent the problem for those!
Shadow Council is poo poo? Let's give it a production bonus for a strata that barely produces anything in the first place!
I'm fine with the new shadow council tbh, but 100% agree with the rest. The concept of a feat tax is something any RPG player is very familiar with. I'd love to sit one of the current designers down and ask what the actual game purpose of arrested development is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I assume more of a simulationist thing than a gameplay thing. "Sometimes your leaders will randomly suck. poo poo happens."

Stellaris at its core has always struggled with how much it's a simulation of a stellar empire and how much it's a 4X game.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

I loved my galactic community all coming together around the space courtroom to vote whether or not to denounce each of the AE's fighting the War in Heaven.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are certain things that can trigger leaders receiving negative traits, like certain anomalies and some of the Shroud covenants, stuff like that. The negative modifiers exist for that reason and if you're going to have traits that can turn a leader into an Addict then you may as well have those traits be in the random pool, too, cause you don't actually need scifi magic for someone to become a drug addict

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I mean yes, but Stubborn is a thing.

Do we really need a trait that essentially just is "Put a bullet in this man's head, now."?

Cuz that's what Arrested Development is. A bullet to that leader's head.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My lvl2 governor got arrested development. A 1000% exp gain penalty or whatever. I.. promptly liquidated the guy and hired a fresh lvl1 one :commissar:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is it possible at all to try get supporters to switch sides within Senate votes? There's a vote coming up I don't want to pass because it would ruin my diplomatic weight (20% cut on economic weight when i'm a megacorporation).

It's the climate change treaty funnily enough! I'm sorry guys better worlds aren't possible.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Communist Bear posted:

Is it possible at all to try get supporters to switch sides within Senate votes? There's a vote coming up I don't want to pass because it would ruin my diplomatic weight (20% cut on economic weight when i'm a megacorporation).

It's the climate change treaty funnily enough! I'm sorry guys better worlds aren't possible.

Trade favors, then call them in?

Never had to do this myself, as my galaxy hasn't so far tried passing something my people don't like

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Communist Bear posted:

Use all your money to buy favours to kill the bill, and let art imitate real life.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Blergh I'd have to call in favours everywhere, it's 6000 to 1000.

Goddamn environmentalists!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Substance abuser means the leader is only going to live maximum 10 years longer anyway, regardless of their lifespan.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Pants posted:

Substance abuser means the leader is only going to live maximum 10 years longer anyway, regardless of their lifespan.
All the governor traits are trash. Water wet, sky blue, film at 11.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

All the governor traits are trash. Water wet, sky blue, film at 11.

Wrong.

There's Intellectual.

:V

I'm a big fan of Bulldozer or equivalent early on, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

Wrong.

There's Intellectual.

:V

I'm a big fan of Bulldozer or equivalent early on, too.
Thats actually why I am calling them all trash - they are the same unbalanced traits that came with the base game 4 years ago now. They need to look at, rebalanced, and expanded upon rather than being ignored for another few years.