Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
If Biden would drop dead tomorrow you would see one of the other candidates restart their campaign to stop Bernie. I’d assume Harris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Djarum posted:

If Biden would drop dead tomorrow you would see one of the other candidates restart their campaign to stop Bernie. I’d assume Harris?

My money would be on the Rat.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Rat would have the best shot. Hell maybe Warren? Literally could be anyone, the DNC doesn't seem to give a gently caress.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Djarum posted:

I think you'd see all of them do it. I'm pretty sure the math works out that no one but Bernie and Biden could possibly win on the first ballot, so as long as Bernie doesn't reach 1991 (which I think would happen in a return-to-the-clowncar) then at the convention they'd divide up cabinet positions and pull straws to determine the lead.

If they don't pick Bernie, and they won't, I hope they do Hillary because then I can laugh instead of cry when Trump wins

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

fondue posted:

I thought the DNC could just appoint anyone they wanted and that the primaries were bread and circuses for the voters? Weren't they sued in Florida over this and the court determined it was lovely but legal?

[edit] Found it.

The DNC is a private corporation which governs the Democratic Party and can choose it's political nominee any way it wants. They have rules governing the nomination process, but they could and have in the past changed those rules.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Rat would have the best shot. Hell maybe Warren? Literally could be anyone, the DNC doesn't seem to give a gently caress.

If I were to rank democratic candidates by their ability to defeat Trump Biden is at the bottom of the list and number two is Warren. Seriously, how did she ever beat anyone? She has the political instincts of ...I dunno Geroge McCellen? William Jennings Bryan? I don't know, I only know people who did well enough to be notable and she will be forgotten in months.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Bloomy Warbucks might have another shot. People don't really like him but they'll be grasping at straws and he has the cash.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

fondue posted:

I thought the DNC could just appoint anyone they wanted and that the primaries were bread and circuses for the voters? Weren't they sued in Florida over this and the court determined it was lovely but legal?

[edit] Found it.

Uh, not quite. I read the decision; what the court said was that the DNC's logic was asinine but the people suing lacked standing to bring suit in federal court. In fact the judge had this to say about the DNC's claims in the case:

quote:

For their part, the DNC and Wasserman Schultz have characterized the DNC charter’s promise of “impartiality and evenhandedness” as a mere political promise — — political rhetoric that is not enforceable in federal courts. The Court does not accept this trivialization of the DNC’s governing principles.

He didn't actually make any ruling on the merits of the case because the plaintiff's lacked standing to sue, and had plenty of other non-judicial options for redress (specifically, voting in the primary or engaging in internal DNC processes). And keep in mind that this case, which was about whether or not the DNC liked Clinton more than Sanders, had far lower stakes than, say, throwing out millions of votes to declare a party flunky the candidate. If the DNC does that they won't be getting sued by a handful of angry voters, they'll be getting sued by state Attorneys General.

Apogee15 posted:

The DNC is a private corporation which governs the Democratic Party and can choose it's political nominee any way it wants. They have rules governing the nomination process, but they could and have in the past changed those rules.

This is a gross oversimplification of the role the DNC and the Democratic Party plays. Yes they're technically a private club, but they interact with the public in a way that binds their hands significantly.

Edit:

Djarum posted:

If Biden literally dies his delegates get reallocated to other candidates and Bernie leaps so far ahead as to be unstoppable. There wouldn't be any chance to stop him.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 25, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Exodus1984 posted:

I do not know if there is an effective mechanism, but there is a mechanism. If neither candidate gets to 1991, and this goes to the second ballot, I believe Biden could be removed. Thing is, I cannot figure out who he is replaced with that placates both the moderates and the left.

They don't care about placating the left.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Everything in this short article is just great.

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday that he does not want to be in a political fight with President Trump over the coronavirus outbreak but that he would continue to call the president out on misinformation regarding the virus.

"I have not been criticizing the president, but I've been pointing out where there is disagreement on how to proceed," Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said on ABC's "The View."

"The coronavirus is not his fault, but the lack of speed with which to respond to it has to move much faster," he continued. "This is not about Democrat or Republican. This is not about what your party is. It's about getting through this."

"The American people don't want us in a political fight, and I want no part of a political fight either, but when the president says things that turn out not to be accurate, we should not say 'you're lying,' we should say 'Mr. President that's not the facts, here's the deal.' "

Biden also criticized Trump's response to the crisis in a briefing streamed online Monday by his campaign, calling the White House response a “failure of planning and preparation."

“My point is not simply that the president was wrong,” Biden said. “My point is that the mindset that was slow to recognize the problem in the first place, to treat it with a seriousness it deserved, is still too much a part of how the president is addressing the problem.”

The Trump campaign hit back at Biden, saying the former vice president should “answer for his own failed record on public health.” The campaign also accused Biden of mishandling the swine flu pandemic from 2009, saying that at the time the administration failed to stockpile respirators.

:decorum:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

“ Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen. Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye”
-Joe Biden, 3/24/2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Goddamn so loving feckless

quote:

"The coronavirus is not his fault, but the lack of speed with which to respond to it has to move much faster," he continued. "This is not about Democrat or Republican. This is not about what your party is. It's about getting through this."

"The American people don't want us in a political fight, and I want no part of a political fight either, but when the president says things that turn out not to be accurate, we should not say 'you're lying,' we should say 'Mr. President that's not the facts, here's the deal.' "

Just screaming "I am pathetic!" over and over again. The Dems are loving doomed.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol he’s going to get steamrolled

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Goddamn so loving feckless

Just screaming "I am pathetic!" over and over again. The Dems are loving doomed.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1060213035074183169?s=21

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1242641363944050688?s=20

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

He's entirely right, this isn't about politics, this is about how badly someone can possibly gently caress something up and how many people are going to die as a result

Oh wait is that politics

Is that what politics is, Biden, you fermented wankstain

"but the lack of speed with which to respond to it has to move much faster" this sentence is just about comprehensible, but the fact that he's now being quoted verbatim instead of hiding his garbled verbiage behind summary is glorious to behold

"I want no part of a political fight either" jesus dude you shouldn't have become a goddamn politician then what do you think your loving job is

"the mindset that was slow to recognize the problem in the first place, to treat it with a seriousness it deserved" from no-cognitive-test Biden :ironicat:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Tying himself up in knots for the sake of decorum, and Trump’s response, as expected, is “yeah, whatever, gently caress off” and his fans eat it up. I’d take the mostly rambling incoherence from Biden if every now and then there was a “you know what? gently caress that guy” in there.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
""The coronavirus is not his fault, but the lack of speed with which to respond to it has to move much faster"

Presidential!

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
https://twitter.com/KurtHackbarth/status/1242604884974764037

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Uh, not quite. I read the decision; what the court said was that the DNC's logic was asinine but the people suing lacked standing to bring suit in federal court. In fact the judge had this to say about the DNC's claims in the case:

He didn't actually make any ruling on the merits of the case because the plaintiff's lacked standing to sue, and had plenty of other non-judicial options for redress (specifically, voting in the primary or engaging in internal DNC processes). And keep in mind that this case, which was about whether or not the DNC liked Clinton more than Sanders, had far lower stakes than, say, throwing out millions of votes to declare a party flunky the candidate. If the DNC does that they won't be getting sued by a handful of angry voters, they'll be getting sued by state Attorneys General.

This is a gross oversimplification of the role the DNC and the Democratic Party plays. Yes they're technically a private club, but they interact with the public in a way that binds their hands significantly.

Thank you for this!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The only idea that Biden has pushed (besides people who want things are toxic bros who should shut up) is that every Republican except Trump is a Very Fine Person, but he's not even going to attack Trump.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dr Christmas posted:

The only idea that Biden has pushed (besides people who want things are toxic bros who should shut up) is that every Republican except Trump is a Very Fine Person, but he's not even going to attack Trump.

Dude's a republican, any promises that he won't pick the most conservative judge possible should be put to the "Obama picked a loving conservative-rear end judge and Biden was picked because he's to the right of Obama" test, he's a waste of loving space and should be dumped and replaced by whatever garbage-rear end candidate they want to shove into the spotlight as soon as possible

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Biden won a bunch of states he didn't campaign in so it seems in fact his best strategy is not campaigning at all.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I think there is a good chance they'll roll those dice. Like, 100%.

The important takeaway from this isn't the non-binding opinions of one judge, but what the DNC thinks they can do, and they clearly think that the entire primary process is a sop to the masses. It's something they do as an indulgence, and they might even stick to the result (which they go to great lengths to influence anyway) provided they agree with or can at least live with it, but they aren't going to honor the result if it means they lose control of their own party.

If they have to choose between handing over the keys to Sanders, or facing some lawsuits from some states, they're going to face some lawsuits from some states, and by the time those lawsuits are settled, the result of them isn't going to matter i.e. they'll have won.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I think there is a good chance they'll roll those dice. Like, 100%.

The important takeaway from this isn't the non-binding opinions of one judge, but what the DNC thinks they can do, and they clearly think that the entire primary process is a sop to the masses. It's something they do as an indulgence, and they might even stick to the result (which they go to great lengths to influence anyway) provided they agree with or can at least live with it, but they aren't going to honor the result if it means they lose control of their own party.

If they have to choose between handing over the keys to Sanders, or facing some lawsuits from some states, they're going to face some lawsuits from some states, and by the time those lawsuits are settled, the result of them isn't going to matter i.e. they'll have won. lost to tormp.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The dem establishment clearly doesn't give a poo poo if they lose to Trump again. And why should they? Trump is good for the grift, after all.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Yeah? So? The point is they'll still have control of their party, which I assure you is 1000x more important to them than defeating Trump.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I guess it depends on if they're myopic enough to think there would be a party left to control if they pulled it. You're not wrong to bet on the DNC elites being shortsighted and power hungry. I just think they're too big of cowards to either try it, or try it and actually commit to it once the blowback starts. Ultimately, they don't have the control they think they do. I'm sure some of them think they could dictate a candidate and the party just has to accept it, but if it ever came to that and they tried to line up Cuomo or Harris as a "compromise" they'd be in for a really rude awakening and would buckle in short order.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're shortsighted, greedy, and have complete and utter contempt for their voters.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I guess it depends on if they're myopic enough to think there would be a party left to control if they pulled it. You're not wrong to bet on the DNC elites being shortsighted and power hungry. I just think they're too big of cowards to either try it, or try it and actually commit to it once the blowback starts. Ultimately, they don't have the control they think they do. I'm sure some of them think they could dictate a candidate and the party just has to accept it, but if it ever came to that and they tried to line up Cuomo or Harris as a "compromise" they'd be in for a really rude awakening and would buckle in short order.
I mean, there will definitely be blowback, but what form do you think it's going to take? I do not think it's going to take a form that will be manifestly obvious or important to them until after the 2020 general election, if even then. They are more insulated from reality than even your average CHUD by like a factor of 100x or more. They use Twitter but they don't give a poo poo about people being mean to them on it - and it's easier than ever to mass-block that poo poo anyway. There's not going to be riots at the convention esp with a pandemic going around. There's nothing within the party apparatus that's going to bubble up to them: I've been around the sort of people who participate in their local Democratic orgs and they're all old boomers who will be thrilled with Cuomo or Harris or whoever the gently caress as long as it isn't Bernie. There is just no - and this is by design - no avenue for redress of grievance within the party that can actually affect anything. All you can do is just not loving vote for their poo poo candidates - but even then you're not taking over the party you're just making it weaker.

The only thing that's going to "matter" is when - and if - they get blown out of the loving water Mondale-style in November. And all that will happen then is they take a hit to their credibility, shift blame to the left (loving Bernie Bros didn't turn out!), and lawyer up for the lawsuits over the primary. They still don't lose control of the party because they already neutralized the only real threat to that control. I guess I just don't see the mechanism by which the left takes this party over from the bottom up - like I said you go to the loving county and local Democratic meetings and poo poo and even in a blue state (I live in King County) it's just a sea of apathetic old white boomers in it for the kicks and because they like to think they give a poo poo (or, they loving love rules-lawyering everything and holy poo poo is there opportunity for that if it's your fetish). And then peppered with a handful of loud leftists who get outmaneuvered by the rules-lawyering and outvoted if the rules didn't get them first.

Right or wrong (and I'm not sure where I stand on it now) the vast majority of leftists think electoralism is total bullshit and you can see that in deed: there are some exceptions but they are just not a presence in the lower levels of the Democratic party. If every DSA member ran for PCO of their precinct we could totally take over a lot of locals (they would almost all run uncontested and win) and be a significant presence in the rest. But it's not happening, I don't see it happening suddenly now, and aside from the Hail Mary of Bernie winning the nomination (where he would still need support from the grassroots of the party anyway) that is really the only way to take over the party.

I will point out though, the only reason I'm a PCO at all is that Our Revolution engaged me to do so. It was just like, one email, though. I don't know how hard they're going to continue to push that - I hope they loving hammer on it, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Has the whole candidate bait-and-switch ever worked?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dr Christmas posted:

Thats not true!

He clearly said he will not oppose fossil fuel interests in fracking in the US.

And he also said one solution to the health crisis was "support our troops".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/1242691746561167360?s=20

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

PerniciousKnid posted:

They don't care about placating the left.

Not sure if I agree. I don't think they care too much about people on the far left of the spectrum, because those voters are already pretty disenfranchised. The Chapo crowd (myself included) was probably never voting for anyone other than Sanders. But the DNC does care about the "progressive" vote. This is kind of the quiet "blue no matter who" vote. These are the people who, while not wanting Biden, they want to beat Trump more than anything else. These are the people who volunteer for campaigns, and will go in to a voting booth and swallow their pride for the lesser of two evils. Hence Biden saying he is going to pick a woman as his VP, appoint a black woman to the Supreme Court, etc. The DNC wants those folks to feel good about Biden's promise of piecemeal change. I know so many people like this. Thing is, I do not know if these half measures will work.

It might have worked if Biden ran in 2016, when Obama was very popular. All of Biden's very bad positions could have been neutralized: Biden could have more or less said that he made a bunch of bad decisions, but he learned from Obama. I'm not sure of the reporting which indicates that Obama told Joe not to run, or that the death of his son pushed him away from running. But he had his window and chose not to go through it.

2020 Biden is four very long years away from 2016 Biden, and not just what could be cognitive decline. The more the wheels of history move past the Obama administration, the clearer the picture gets that while there was some good, there was also a lot of missed opportunity, and a lot of poor choices. Just so happens that Biden was involved in a lot of missed opportunities and poor choices, and his record indicates that is kind of his thing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the democratic party is not going to give up anything to the left unless it absolutely has to to win elections. this is because the left's big demands are all very costly and are going to alienate other groups with influence and money. so long as they're better than the alternative, they think that they're getting the left's vote. so far, they haven't been very wrong

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

But all he does is livestream!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BUT WHY ISNT HE IN THE SENATE??????

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Most in effective Senator ever, eh?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SimonCat posted:

Most in effective Senator ever, eh?

It is hard to tell from that tweet if he is or isn't, but considering he has spoken publicly against the $500 billion slush fund it seems he is very ineffective.

Fake edit: Ahh you are talking effective from the point of view of the peasantry, I guess he is fairly "effective" in that regard. But how the hell can you make any real amount of money from grifting that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

That bill looks like dogshit tbh but the one good thing in it is that part