Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

wtf all this feel good poo poo. all intelligent life is invariable destroyed by its conservative members. the universe is littered with the corpses of civilizations that suicided themselves to own the libs. you know its true.

This is deffo the case, but there are so many loving stars, and thus so many civilizations, that some are certain to make it to type II or whatev

and i'm merely talking about THIS galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

aliens could be zipping all over the place, and we're simply not distinctive enough to be worth the deceleration burn

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

gun cases in background

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

euphronius posted:

it’s def extremely strange tho there is no obvious evidence of life in the galaxy beyond earth

it’s really wierd
its unsettling

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there 100% could be Vulcans lurking and watching that isn’t the point

if humans aren’t special there should be millions (billions) of humans across the observable universe and at least a few should have made observable mega civilizations

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

it’s def extremely strange tho there is no obvious evidence of life in the galaxy beyond earth

it’s really wierd

thats cuz we're the first. long odds but somebody has to be first

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

This is deffo the case, but there are so many loving stars, and thus so many civilizations, that some are certain to make it to type II or whatev

and i'm merely talking about THIS galaxy.

exactly

which is why I think we are just one of the first

which is possible tho unlikely

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/status/1242648598711427072?s=19

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I like to imagine there are space deer on proxima centauri planet 4 or whatev. like big ole bucks. The hunting there is gonna be loving sweet.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

after a dozen times thinking that i've found the solution to fermi's paradox already this year, i think i finally got it:

technological civilizations will succumb to mismanagement by reality tv stars elected to high office before becoming detectable at the mean distance from any given observer, and before developing the technology to detect lesser civilizations at greater distances

don't forget that the navy has confirmed the existence of UFOs that don't follow known laws of physics lol

fermi pissadox lol trumo is the first alien hybrid

this is the earth being saved :smugdon:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
psiworm safari

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

pissworm safari

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/kF6LI2N.mp4

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

oh cool

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
why would there be mega structures? we're seeing now that as access to resources goes up, population goes down. so an advanced, space faring species isn't going to have trillions of people zipping around in space cars.

space travel is very hard, so the few ships that do go out are going to be hyper self-sufficient.

so, a small population that's easily taken care of with growing tech. easy access to some kind of simulations or sensory devices.

why would you have giant structures? you don't need trading stations

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

it’s really wierd

it isn't actually that weird. Hundred of thousands forms of life on earth. But it only happens on one out of nine planets.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rah! posted:

don't forget that the navy has confirmed the existence of UFOs that don't follow known laws of physics lol

one of the elements in the alloy is piss

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Rah! posted:

Trump was sent here by the Trisolarians.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i think hawaii just issued a tsunami alert also

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/i3w6AFo.mp4

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

exactly

which is why I think we are just one of the first

which is possible tho unlikely

Dunno. There are plenty of planets all over the dang place. After Earth formed, life popped up VERY quickly. I'm not confident in believing that, personally.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the Thai resturant I live above has only had a 15% decrease in sales thanks to their takeout game (and food) being legit as gently caress.

Their Thai iced tea is straight crack and I love it. :sludgepal:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DryGoods posted:

why would there be mega structures? we're seeing now that as access to resources goes up, population goes down. so an advanced, space faring species isn't going to have trillions of people zipping around in space cars.

space travel is very hard, so the few ships that do go out are going to be hyper self-sufficient.

so, a small population that's easily taken care of with growing tech. easy access to some kind of simulations or sensory devices.

forgetting megastructure we should have been visited by scouts or whatever. the galaxy is big but time is a lot longer than the galaxy is big

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

kids making u frustrated no problem just buy a coronatron 420 to do basic baby maitenance for you

https://i.imgur.com/8QkF5H3.mp4

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

roarpower posted:

it isn't actually that weird. Hundred of thousands forms of life on earth. But it only happens on one out of nine planets.

that’s a huge percentage!!!!!

(it’s 8 btw)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/hawaiinewsnow/status/1242649518606127104

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
think we're about due for an asteroid

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

7.8 is a bigly big earthquake. one of the biggest from the stand point of big.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

at least America isn’t threatened

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

think we're about due for an asteroid

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dunno. There are plenty of planets all over the dang place. After Earth formed, life popped up VERY quickly. I'm not confident in believing that, personally.

:same:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the difference is there is only one galaxy with a God (Allah)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DryGoods posted:

idk we can't assume they share all the same motivations or instincts that we do, maybe they're territorial predators that instinctively need large personal spaces or they have a lot of offspring like if sea turtles all made it to the water

probably not though, idk i'd be surprised if by the time a species was capable of building a megastructure that they'd need to for any reason, but who knows maybe there are ringworlds and dyson spheres everywhere that we can't see

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

life did but it took ... 4,000,000,000 years to get to Trump!!!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

they speak of "earth" quakes and then warn us about the water

who do u think ur fooling soros

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

euphronius posted:

life did but it took ... 4,000,000,000 years to get to Trump!!!

God drat we are lucky to be alive for it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

idk we can't assume they share all the same motivations or instincts that we do, maybe they're territorial predators that instinctively need large personal spaces or they have a lot of offspring like if sea turtles all made it to the water

probably not though, idk i'd be surprised if by the time a species was capable of building a megastructure that they'd need to for any reason, but who knows maybe there are ringworlds and dyson spheres everywhere that we can't see

they’d be impossible not to see

but as I said the more mysterious aspect is not being visited by their scouts or emissaries

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

that’s a huge percentage!!!!!

(it’s 8 btw)

We might be the only life in the universe. That is scary. We might not be the only life in the Universe. That is also scary

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bearjew posted:

God drat we are lucky to be alive for it

we live at the apex of our universe's potential, which manifested as a smooth brained billionaire with a personality disorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
why would you need megastructures? what are you powering that has to stand still for centuries?