Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The traders don't buy bitcoins anymore right?
I sold a bunch on the flea market today, and I have to wonder, who's buying them?
It doesn't seem like anything they trade for is a net positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
While looking at THICC item cases, I did discover something pretty strange. They are generally around 19-20mil, but there are some listed at odd numbers are 16mil. You can't buy those and you get an error. But what it's doing is making people list them for below those prices, to move them, and they get bought immediately. So someone has figured out how to list an item on the flea market for a cheap price, but you can't buy them due to an error. But people just wanting to sell theirs don't try and buy the item and just undercut, losing out in millions. I was wondering why the ones listed at 3mil less than the rest of them were about to run out of time. Makes sense now, since you can't buy them.

The level of bugs in this game that result in money making opportunities are insane.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

The traders don't buy bitcoins anymore right?
I sold a bunch on the flea market today, and I have to wonder, who's buying them?
It doesn't seem like anything they trade for is a net positive.

You can still sell them to Therapist. She pays like 150k. I imagine people are buying them to trade in for items they can't otherwise piece together. Lower level players without access to some mods might be buying them up to strip or modify to their liking. I did that a couple times when I was low level.

Edit: It's a pretty crushing feeling going into a raid as a scav, finding that someone wasn't able to carry the weapon case from a marked room out and spending the entire raid looking for a backpack big enough to carry it and not finding it. Every scav I checked didn't even have a backpack on them. At most, I found another sling.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 24, 2020

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
What’s with all the hacking on reddit being showcased?

I get hacking in PubG and stuff because there was a real world economy where you could make actual money. But that doesn’t exist in Tarkov so what’s the point?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

willie_dee posted:

I get hacking in PubG and stuff because there was a real world economy where you could make actual money. But that doesn’t exist in Tarkov so what’s the point?

Same reason people cheat in single player games: they just like the feelings of power that come with it. Seems like there is very little reward or feelings of accomplishment in cheating/hacking, but people still do it because to them, the power is the fun part.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Also there absolutely is a way of making money off the game, selling accounts or items

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

willie_dee posted:

RMT is a thing with Tarkov. I'm just amazed that anybody can make a profit given how expensive all of the hacks seem to be.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

willie_dee posted:

people hack in games that have zero financial incentives whatsoever

Tarkov is probably worse than most of those games in giving people incentive to cheat because of the degree to which new players typically get dunked on before they acquire adequate game-knowledge + the in-game loot progression

and just because Tarkov doesn't have an *officially* supported real world economy doesn't mean people aren't actively selling in-game loot for real money - if you can sell 1m roubles for a bit over a dollar (the rate I saw after a brief search) then you can easily see how hacking on labs is a money making proposition for some people

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Inspector_666 posted:

RMT is a thing with Tarkov. I'm just amazed that anybody can make a profit given how expensive all of the hacks seem to be.

cheat companies selling hacks to RMTs is a pyramid scheme

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Zipperelli. posted:

RIP. my condolances

I know :negative: Working on it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

ShowTime posted:

You can still sell them to Therapist. She pays like 150k. I imagine people are buying them to trade in for items they can't otherwise piece together. Lower level players without access to some mods might be buying them up to strip or modify to their liking. I did that a couple times when I was low level.

Edit: It's a pretty crushing feeling going into a raid as a scav, finding that someone wasn't able to carry the weapon case from a marked room out and spending the entire raid looking for a backpack big enough to carry it and not finding it. Every scav I checked didn't even have a backpack on them. At most, I found another sling.

Well poo poo, I could have sworn last time I checked the Therapist wasn't buying them, but I just checked again and sure enough... 145k.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The cliff like learning curve in Tarkov means people need in game cash to continue to go into raids. It's the same dynamic that mobile games use to frustrate you into paying for Blue Diamonds or some poo poo, but RMT steps in instead of the devs.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Well poo poo, I could have sworn last time I checked the Therapist wasn't buying them, but I just checked again and sure enough... 145k.

ime the game only seems to check if a trader will buy items every so often/under certain circumstances, and I don’t think it always evaluates items in containers

so depending on how you manage your inventory it’s possible to end up in situations where traders will temporarily not give a price for an item they’d normally buy (and will buy if you just leave said item in your main inventory and get the game to re-evaluate your salable items for that trader)

but yeah bitcoins go to Therapist

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, I remember a post on reddit from a Chinese player saying that there were a bunch of famous Chinese streamers playing Tarkov, and a bunch of clips and memes, so a lot of Chinese players ended up trying out Tarkov only to hit the learning cliff. It's especially bad because there aren't many Chinese resources for learning the game. So they get destroyed and turn to RMT... those who don't cheat, that is.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Lmao at spending money rather than reading a wiki every now and then

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They are patching the game tomorrow and removing some of the exploits used to level skills. So if you want to do it, now is the time.

They are also adding heavy breathing and hand shaking when you run out of stamina. Not having high stats is gonna suck even more.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
hopefully they ban the str/end cheaters

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
This game is so ridiculously easy to make money in post .12 and there are so many amazing budget options, I can’t imagine why you would ever spend money on RMT. Like you don’t even need to be a turbo hoarder or market baron, just do your scav runs occasionally and level your hideout - scav case/bitcoin rig/workbench is insane output, especially when you run expeditionary fuel tanks and flip them into mag boxes.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

hakimashou posted:

They're doing a half decent job banning actual cheaters (like some goons), the problem is there's a cyclical process of real world moneymaking going on. All it takes is to buy an EOD account, cheat to the point where you're a high level and done with all the quests, then cheat your way to all the high value items. Do this for a few days, sell the items in the account for real world money to some idiot who doesn't know any better. Rinse, and repeat. Until Nikita Daydrinker can find a way to prevent this, everyone is in for a very rough ride. Let's be honest, it's 95% Chinas fault for the real money market. Ban China.

BANNED USER fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 25, 2020

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

willie_dee posted:

Last time this was analyzed a few weeks ago someone in this thread linked that ~20k USD of Tarkov items were sold per day via ebay, but the real number is probably a lot higher since it doesn't include playerauctions or any of the other RMT sites which don't allow you to see sales numbers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BANNED USER posted:

They're doing a half decent job banning actual cheaters (like some goons), the problem is there's a cyclical process of real world moneymaking going on. All it takes is to buy an EOD account, cheat to the point where you're a high level and done with all the quests, then cheat your way to all the high value items. Do this for a few days, sell the items in the account for real world money to some idiot who doesn't know any better. Rinse, and repeat. Until Nikita Daydrinker can find a way to prevent this, everyone is in for a very rough ride. Let's be honest, it's 95% Chinas fault for the real money market. Ban China.

banning china wouldnt help because most people from there arent cheating and the ones who are can also easily get around anything you try to do to keep people from china out. the only solution is to keep patching stuff as quick as you can.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

hakimashou posted:

There's some rumor going around that they intend to reset not only the str/end of those who have cheated theirs, but that they will reset their entire accounts. I hope they do.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

Stux posted:

banning china wouldnt help because most people from there arent cheating

Pretty sure you're the only person who holds this opinion.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My friends almost all stat cheated and it kinda killed my desire to continue playing the game

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Because it exposed to you how poo poo the whole idea of long-term progression is?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nah because cheating in a persistent multiplayer game is super cringy

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Nah because cheating in a persistent multiplayer game is super cringy

This. There's nothing wrong with a stat progression system, but cheating is loving garbage and they are garbage people for doing it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If the stat progression system sucks that much for you that blows. But cheating is basically saying your time and gameplay experience is more important than others’. At that point just play offline stuff like the solipsist you are

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://twitter.com/WithJimbo/status/1242734308298637313

Don't know what this is from but it owns.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BANNED USER posted:

China is effectively banned from American servers due to the ping limit but the cheaters are just using vpns to connect anyway. That's why you see so many people lag skipping all over the place.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Great Beer posted:

China is effectively banned from American servers due to the ping limit but the cheaters are just using vpns to connect anyway. That's why you see so many people lag skipping all over the place.

They don’t use vpns to do it, since that couldn’t lower their ping. They hack the launcher to remove the ping limit in selecting servers.

The us west coast is within the ping limit of many of them already though, since the limit is too high.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Appears that the scav case no longer works and that items inside containers no longer count towards hideout recipes since the recent patch.

Anybody else?

e:
https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1242788128131342338

Jarf fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 25, 2020

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Jarf posted:

Appears that the scav case no longer works and that items inside containers no longer count towards hideout recipes since the recent patch.

Anybody else?

e:
https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1242788128131342338

BSG is far from perfect, but what baffles my mind is that if this had happened to FO76, it would have taken Bethesda two months to fix it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hakimashou posted:

They don’t use vpns to do it, since that couldn’t lower their ping. They hack the launcher to remove the ping limit in selecting servers.

The us west coast is within the ping limit of many of them already though, since the limit is too high.

No, they absolutely use VPNs to do it. They use special ones that can fake ping anywhere in the world to look like 20.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

please knock Mom! posted:

My friends almost all stat cheated and it kinda killed my desire to continue playing the game

A friend of mine was bragging about STR/END exploit and running circles around me with endless stamina in raids. Well he messaged me this morning and his STR/END stats were reset to 0. Myself being a level 3 on STR never felt so good.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

mysteryberto posted:

A friend of mine was bragging about STR/END exploit and running circles around me with endless stamina in raids. Well he messaged me this morning and his STR/END stats were reset to 0. Myself being a level 3 on STR never felt so good.

lol

Tell your friend to go gently caress himself.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

banning china wouldnt help because most people from there arent cheating and the ones who are can also easily get around anything you try to do to keep people from china out. the only solution is to keep patching stuff as quick as you can.

:lol:

There are Chinese players on the subreddit agreeing that cheating is a huge problem there, mostly spawning from the whole "winning is everything" mentality that exists in China. Cheating or hacking in games is not looked down upon by the vast majority of players, so boom: you get an inordinate amount of cheaters from that area.

What I'm saying is, you're dumb, and China needs to be region-locked somehow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BANNED USER posted:

so what? doesnt mean im wrong. its the same level of logic as putting tons of anti-piracy ads at the start of a movie which are then removed for the pirated versions anyway.

Zipperelli. posted:

:lol:

There are Chinese players on the subreddit agreeing that cheating is a huge problem there, mostly spawning from the whole "winning is everything" mentality that exists in China. Cheating or hacking in games is not looked down upon by the vast majority of players, so boom: you get an inordinate amount of cheaters from that area.

What I'm saying is, you're dumb, and China needs to be region-locked somehow

they already are, its already people who can get around a region lock who are doing it and you cannot stop them by region locking. its literally trivial to bypass, its less effort than actually cheating. the only solution is continually patching exploits as they come out.

region lock china is the same big brain level of stupid as region lock russia was in europe in the early 00s on cs. it is not technically possible to region lock the people actually cheating, it literally only effects people who explicitly are not cheating.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hakimashou posted:

you have to have a decently high ping limit because the majority of people even inside a region have garbage connections, and this is especially true for US servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Just had battleye completely max out my CPU and not launch the game. Had to restart my computer