Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

LA is still loving up the testing. Guy at work got tested 6 days ago and his results are not back yet.

Another guy called because he has the symptoms and they said they wouldn't test him.

The news from the SF homeless shelters is scary too.
an extended member of our family is in the hospital with pneumonia and the docs said he'd be lucky to get his testing results in a week. this is Hoag Hospital in loving Newport Beach of all places

two more people I know are hospitalized now from confirmed CV19

hope they all recover but they are old with pre-existing conditions. really, really hope they make it and get all the care they need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheAgent posted:

an extended member of our family is in the hospital with pneumonia and the docs said he'd be lucky to get his testing results in a week. this is Hoag Hospital in loving Newport Beach of all places

two more people I know are hospitalized now from confirmed CV19

hope they all recover but they are old with pre-existing conditions. really, really hope they make it and get all the care they need

I really have no idea why LA / OC are loving this up so hard.

Why did NorCal get all the drive through testing but SoCal was never mentioned?

I do not have any confidence in our system right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the NHS in england gets tests results back in 24 hours.... why are we still having to wait days for them to come back?

How are we this bad at things?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I got a test done in Sacramento because I had some very poorly timed seasonal allergies or a mild cold. I got my results back in less than 24 hours.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Also the NHS in england gets tests results back in 24 hours.... why are we still having to wait days for them to come back?

How are we this bad at things?

Privatized health care, OP

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Privatized health care, OP

its this

the purpose of the us health care industry is to deliver profits to shareholders, not care to patients

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've been saying for years that this entire country is a scam that exists to make money first and actually do useful poo poo second and it sucks rear end to be proven right.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

I drove home from OC to IE at 5pm yesterday.

I haven't done that in a decade.

Thats my jam. I leave at 430. Don't have a choice. I do however head out to Anaheim before traffic starts, hit the gym, and sleep in the car before work time. But since I can't gym and traffic is non existent I can go to the office at a normal hour.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've been saying for years that this entire country is a scam that exists to make money first and actually do useful poo poo second and it sucks rear end to be proven right.

Yes, this is every critique of capitalism.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be marginally less flippant, the differences in regional ability to turn around tests is probably because the labs that process tests are regional, private, and not uniform in size/capability etc. Other countries with national health care systems probably also sometimes use private labs, but they also have more centralized or nationally-managed or publicly-run labs.

But I'm speculating. It strikes me as the most likely explanation but there could be something else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Didn’t used to be this way, though. It was mostly during the burn-out of the Nixon administration that things went terrible. Nixon created a universal payment plan for dialysis, which yay; but he also got talked down from truly universal insurance and Lewis Powell made the manifesto that corporate America needs to fight the public interest for control of government, so boo.

Anyone old enough to remember Watergate should know this country used to be better.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

MarcusSA posted:

I really have no idea why LA / OC are loving this up so hard.

Why did NorCal get all the drive through testing but SoCal was never mentioned?

I do not have any confidence in our system right now.

NorCal has Berkeley Labs and Stanford to do a lot of their tests, and all of the Bay Area is close by. I'm not sure how testing is going in, like, Humboldt County. You'd think LA County could use UCLA and USC but lol guess not!

Dralun
May 22, 2012

Gangringo posted:

I got a test done in Sacramento because I had some very poorly timed seasonal allergies or a mild cold. I got my results back in less than 24 hours.

May I ask what health care system you went through?

The hospital I work for in Sac is only testing symptoms with a fever above 100.4 and I'm hearing it's taking 3-5 days for results.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Leperflesh posted:

To be marginally less flippant, the differences in regional ability to turn around tests is probably because the labs that process tests are regional, private, and not uniform in size/capability etc. Other countries with national health care systems probably also sometimes use private labs, but they also have more centralized or nationally-managed or publicly-run labs.

But I'm speculating. It strikes me as the most likely explanation but there could be something else.
If I understand how they do the tests, each test takes 2-3 hours to run on the PCR and electrophoresis equipment. Depending on how big a lab is, they might only be able to process tens of people a day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah

https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/1242541025538633728?s=21

It’s mathematically impossible the infection count is this low it has to be 10-15x.

Also what’s up with the under 18?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MarcusSA posted:

Literally impossible to give an answer to this question without further information. They could've been immunocompromised already, had a serious underlying medical issue, been a paragon of human health, or an infinite number of other things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Literally impossible to give an answer to this question without further information. They could've been immunocompromised already, had a serious underlying medical issue, been a paragon of human health, or an infinite number of other things.

Well yeah I know it is just unsettling to see.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This is going to sound lovely: All of the mid-20's or 30's people dying so far have been like "look it happened to them, it could happen to you!" *picture of a guy who weighs 250 lbs*. Final sentence of the article notes: "a cancer survivor"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

It’s mathematically impossible the infection count is this low it has to be 10-15x.
tens if not hundreds of thousands of people have it now in California, there's just no way to know until testing and antibody testing improves drastically

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey i have an idea, instead of spending billions bailing out the airlines in order for them to do nothing, let's pay them billions to load up all their thousands of empty passenger planes with completed test kits and fly them to loving china where they have the infrastructure in place to process tests quickly. It might actually be faster, it'd give the airlines something to do, and they could load up those planes with all the air freight that's currently not getting here from asia for the return trips, so win/win.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd really love if Orange County could let us know exactly where the infected people are. I know they're worried about hurting tourism & businesses, but what a dumb call to make.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'd really love if Orange County could let us know exactly where the infected people are. I know they're worried about hurting tourism & businesses, but what a dumb call to make.

They're everywhere, because they're not testing enough. Like this is true everywhere in the country, there are no places where there's literally nobody infected any more. The time when that might have been the case was weeks ago.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fed response was to slow-walk the tests so that infection numbers wouldn't look bad and it's only been since around the beginning of march that it started getting straightened out

our infected numbers are going to continue to be woefully underreported unless and until it is possible to get a test without displaying symptoms and had been in contact with someone else who tested positive, or being rich. in south korea, china, and singapore the tests were free and they did everything they could to test everyone. the south korea drive-thru testing stations are well-known, and this is an informative interview from some nyt health reporter about the testing and quarantine regimen china had established

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gCbkeARbY

(apologies for maddow but she barely speaks and the interviewee rejects her question right off the bat)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TheAgent posted:

tens if not hundreds of thousands of people have it now in California, there's just no way to know until testing and antibody testing improves drastically

my mom thinks she might have had already in february

she was hella sick for two weeks with a weird flu like thing and then got mild pneumonia afterwards

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Totally, but it's just wild to see parents let their kids run around a million other kids when there's a pandemic sweeping the world.

My 10yo totally had a meltdown because she couldn't sleep over at her friends house. She understands why perfectly well, but after a week of being stuck in the house, all of them are getting stir crazy. Thank god breweries in my area are selling to go cans or delivering or I'd be going bonkers too. We've been passing the time by doing a lot of family board game/video game/movie nights, but that only works for so long.

Take them camping?
(Assuming the forests aren't crowded with other people who had the same idea and you can do so safely)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BeAuMaN posted:

Take them camping?
(Assuming the forests aren't crowded with other people who had the same idea and you can do so safely)

Most states are shutting down the parks this month since there was a surge of activity.

I know FL shut down all the main state parks this week.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cali just did on some place (socal might do different I'm in NorCal)

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Dralun posted:

May I ask what health care system you went through?

The hospital I work for in Sac is only testing symptoms with a fever above 100.4 and I'm hearing it's taking 3-5 days for results.

I'm a Kaiser kid. They may have given me a pass because I'm considered essential public safety.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi,

Why are car dealerships open and people looking at cars?

Drove by the Torrance auto mall or whatever and every dealer was open and I saw a few different people looking at cars.

What in the ever loving gently caress....

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Hi,

Drove by the Torrance auto mall or whatever and every dealer was open and I saw a few different people looking at cars.

"Auto repair and maintenance" is classified as essential, and basically every car dealership also does service. General attitude among businesses seems to be "if even the smallest portion of our operations meets the essential criteria, our entire operation stays online", so there you go.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MarcusSA posted:

Hi,

:agesilaus: well mister Car Salesman... not too many people looking to buy eh? Margins a little thin this month? Lemmie take a look at this here BMW and we'll see what 'we can do' about that sticker price.

:cenobite: yeah there's no volume this month so maybe you can get a free air freshener...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MarcusSA posted:

Hi,

It's the time to buy man. I'm getting a new car right now for a couple Grand under

If I get coronavirus and die lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 25, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Hi,

I ran by a Quick Quack car wash that was open today. Not very essential imo. Although, I guess I’m glad those people have income and don’t really come within 6 feet of customers except the person taking payment.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rah! posted:

my mom thinks she might have had already in february

she was hella sick for two weeks with a weird flu like thing and then got mild pneumonia afterwards

My brother in law is convinced he had it in like, December.
Healthy guy that got a terrible flu with bronchitis afterward, sickest he's ever been.
It's possible, our driver also drives for uber and lyft, he got sick and gave it to my bro.

I find it rather dubious, but, who knows.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

pleased/concerned to see ucr's report with zero cases. someone in my apartment complex spent the whole day coughing up a lung

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
I went to refill my propane tank at my local hardware store this weekend.

The parking lot was packed. There were at least 50 people (mostly 60+) there, primarily buying flowers and soil. All very close to each other.

We are super hosed.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This is good

https://twitter.com/MattHaneySF/status/1242595384385359873?s=19

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tmm3k posted:

I went to refill my propane tank at my local hardware store this weekend.

The parking lot was packed. There were at least 50 people (mostly 60+) there, primarily buying flowers and soil. All very close to each other.

We are super hosed.

All the hardware stores are running their spring super sales right now which is their second busiest time of the year. Combine that with a bunch of bored house dads and it’s super packed right now.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gonna grow some beautiful flowers to adorn my grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I thunk this is the patient from Lancaster. 17-year-old died of septic shock after being sick with the virus for 5 days. Dad (Uber driver) also tested positive.