Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
my biggest client is actually spooked by coronavirus and wants to move deadlines up kill me lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

my biggest client is actually spooked by coronavirus and wants to move deadlines up kill me lmao

I tell everyone who wants to say that that the deadline is not actually extended and tell them to drop off.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Covok posted:

I tell everyone who wants to say that that the deadline is not actually extended and tell them to drop off.

I do tax for big private equity and they’re already extended, but they promise the investors their K-1s by March 31 so

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Your post made me realize how funny it is we all use the same thread. I work in a small regional office where I manage two workers. I do individual tax for 700 people myself and 1900 in the total office. I have roughly 100 business clients. Our office does their bookkeeping, sales tax, payroll tax, etc. I oversee this.

How about everyone else?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm unemployed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I work entertainment wardrobe for a small company. As of the last 8 hours I shifted responsibilities from Accounts Receivable to getting all us 26 employees on UI.

If you live in LA, I've been in contact with the different jobs orgs who facilitate the worksharing. Easiest sell on Earth to management: get government to pay us the days you don't pay us.

I'll help you cut the line. For your smol business. LAEDC if you wanna search yourself.

TMonsta
May 10, 2011

I work as an audit supervisor at a regional firm in Florida. Was planning on either making manager or jumping to industry after this busy season but now that the economy has imploded who knows.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I bailed on big 4 as an experienced senior and now do technical research and financial reporting for a public company. It’s about as good as an accounting job gets from a workload perspective.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I work in a small boutique firm that just does local personal and small business stuff - about 500 individual returns and 200 business returns a year between 3 preparers, plus we do bookkeeping/SCorp payroll/S&U/general advising throughout the year.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/ccoronavirus-mnuchin-says-irs-will-move-tax-filing-deadline-to-july-15.html

https://twitter.com/stevenmnuchin1/status/1241002750483324930

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Covok posted:

Your post made me realize how funny it is we all use the same thread. I work in a small regional office where I manage two workers. I do individual tax for 700 people myself and 1900 in the total office. I have roughly 100 business clients. Our office does their bookkeeping, sales tax, payroll tax, etc. I oversee this.

How about everyone else?

I'm similar to you (I think we're both on Long Island too), one of three accountants in a firm servicing about 500 businesses and 1500 individual clients. We have about 7 support staff, and do bookkeeping, sales tax and payroll tax for most of our business clients. Some handle those things themselves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

New York put a lockdown on all businesses considered nonessential. We told all our clients we were closed and to drop off files. Changed our messgae service. Forwarded our calls. Changed the autolocks. And did a million things.

At the 11th hour, our parent company says we are essential.

My boss says gently caress it and says we can come in if we want and work from home if we want and says she is gonna try working from home. And says the office is technically closed.

Her mom, who is 96 with dementia, caught COVID-19 today so is bracing for the inevitable news now. It's been rough.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
With tax filing day being delayed does that mean we have longer time to retroactively fill our 2019 Roth IRA contributions?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

AmericanBarbarian posted:

With tax filing day being delayed does that mean we have longer time to retroactively fill our 2019 Roth IRA contributions?

It’s from fox business but I like this guys opinion:

quote:

“There’s never been a date in the tax code, it’s always been tied to the filing deadline,” Slott said. “[By extending the tax deadline], they automatically extended the deadline to make an IRA contribution last year.”

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

It’s from fox business but I like this guys opinion:

Yeah this is wild. Have they ever delayed the actual filing day in the past?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Covok posted:

New York put a lockdown on all businesses considered nonessential. We told all our clients we were closed and to drop off files. Changed our messgae service. Forwarded our calls. Changed the autolocks. And did a million things.

At the 11th hour, our parent company says we are essential.

My boss says gently caress it and says we can come in if we want and work from home if we want and says she is gonna try working from home. And says the office is technically closed.

Her mom, who is 96 with dementia, caught COVID-19 today so is bracing for the inevitable news now. It's been rough.

Yeah if you check the executive orders from earlier in the week accounting counts as an essential financial service. Still, with the delay in the deadline and everyone else recommended to stay home there shouldn't be much pressure on us for a while. Better to keep processing so we don't have to crunch later if you can.

I'm figuring out a process for myself to work from home, haven't had to do it much in the past.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The downside of being owned by a financial firm is that they already are talking budget cuts because all of our advisors are gonna see a 30% drop this year. My new junior accountant is on the chopping block. Dude did nothing wrong. This sucks. Capitalism sucks. gently caress.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

So is everyone still doing 60+ with the filing date pushed back?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

black.lion posted:

I took a 3 hour lunch nap today.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

My city just got hit with a shelter-in-place order effective tonight, so the tax folks at my small firm are all scrambling to figure out how in the hell they're gonna work from home since some of the tax partners never bothered to move into the 21st century and still do half of their poo poo by paper. A lot of bitching in the office today about the one partner who is still demanding paper copies of returns still be put in his office for his review, even though he's a germaphobe who decided to start sheltering-in-place a day early and didn't even come into the office today. (Turns out our shelter-in-place order exempts accountants, as payroll is considered essential business. The aforementioned partner apparently brought up earlier today when trying to suggest that some of his staffers keep coming into the office despite the order.) Those tax folks were still doing 45-50 hours at the end of last week, but I suspect that they're going to be running out of work to do within a couple of weeks since clients all but stopped bringing stuff in during the last week and a half.

I'm on the audit side where we're a lot better equipped to work from home, but I think we've only got a couple weeks before we run out of work to do and we're all just sitting around watching Netflix. We've got a couple of small 12/31 audits we can wrap up (mostly local nonprofits and churches), but the 12/31 stragglers and the few 3/30 clients we have are all shut down now, so I think it's going to be a while before we can start on any new audits.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

black.lion posted:

Nah, just 50-55s for the next three months. Can’t leave the house anyways so shouldn’t be too hard.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am a tax accountant and a hobby writer. Due to the deadline extension, we stopped extended hours. I decided to pitch a trpg game to a small online magazine and they accepted. Turns out they are trying to become a cooperative. I said I'd help, but Cooperatives are not my specialty. Most business owners I know would balk at the premise.

Anyone know anything important about making one? A good place to read up on one? How is it taxed? What form?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Covok posted:

I am a tax accountant and a hobby writer. Due to the deadline extension, we stopped extended hours. I decided to pitch a trpg game to a small online magazine and they accepted. Turns out they are trying to become a cooperative. I said I'd help, but Cooperatives are not my specialty. Most business owners I know would balk at the premise.

Anyone know anything important about making one? A good place to read up on one? How is it taxed? What form?

Ask these guys what they are set up as http://www.hydraco-op.com/who-we-are/

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Coops have their own tax form, seems like you might as well just set up a partnership/LLC though. Any reason you guys are using an exotic entity form? Is that even legal for a public accounting firm in your state?

Covok
May 27, 2013

This Paycheck Protection Loan and Economc Injury Diaster loan is the bane of my existence.

None of my clients know what to do. I am positive for COVID-19. And they all need their answers now.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Covok posted:

This Paycheck Protection Loan and Economc Injury Diaster loan is the bane of my existence.

None of my clients know what to do. I am positive for COVID-19. And they all need their answers now.

If you're positive for covid they can go gently caress themselves until you come back from the vault. Recover well friend

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

If you're positive for covid they can go gently caress themselves until you come back from the vault. Recover well friend

Not emptyquoting just agreeing heavily

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Tell the clients you can help them but you need to do it in person, their call.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I am in the loving weeds with this Payment Protection Plan poo poo. I work with a team of independent contractors consistently under one employer. The employer wants to classify payments to us as payroll under a PPP loan and then pay us with the loan he receives. My interpretation is that this is not allowed.

Interim Final Rule
Page 11, Section ii reads:
Do independent contractors count as employees for purposes of PPP loan
calculations?
No, independent contractors have the ability to apply for a PPP loan on their own
so they do not count for purposes of a borrower’s PPP loan calculation.

That seems simple except the application he received from the bank had a line specifically for payments made to independent contractors and his accountant seems to think he can count our pay as payroll as well. I understand my boss's motivation. If he can classify 75% of the loan as payroll then the entire thing can potentially be forgiven. My interpretation is that the bank will approve the loan and then refuse to forgive it when they find out his "payroll" went to independent contractors and not w2 employees. In that case we 1099s should just apply for unemployment or loans of our own. Anyone know who's right here?

Covok
May 27, 2013

This stimulus package is such poo poo.

Yesterday, they limited the $10,000 grant to $1,000 per employee to a max of $10,000. I have a singe person business who is pissed at me now because their grant went from $10,000 to $1,000 and that doesn't even cover the rent on their yoga studio. The Paycheck Protection Loan is even worse, in a way. Banks are supposed to give us a 1% agent fee for preparing the return. The law has this in the text so that we won't charge for applications. Guess what? Every bank I've seen has their own way around.
TD doesn't let you complete the application if you say you're using an agent.
M&T says on their website that your accountant can't complete the form for you.
PNC has it in their application that they WILL NOT pay agency fees if you used an agent.

And so on and so forth.

Anyone know a way around this? The banks are getting 5% on these loans. They're supposed to give us 1% because we aren't charging the clients.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I am in the loving weeds with this Payment Protection Plan poo poo. I work with a team of independent contractors consistently under one employer. The employer wants to classify payments to us as payroll under a PPP loan and then pay us with the loan he receives. My interpretation is that this is not allowed.

Interim Final Rule
Page 11, Section ii reads:
Do independent contractors count as employees for purposes of PPP loan
calculations?
No, independent contractors have the ability to apply for a PPP loan on their own
so they do not count for purposes of a borrower’s PPP loan calculation.

That seems simple except the application he received from the bank had a line specifically for payments made to independent contractors and his accountant seems to think he can count our pay as payroll as well. I understand my boss's motivation. If he can classify 75% of the loan as payroll then the entire thing can potentially be forgiven. My interpretation is that the bank will approve the loan and then refuse to forgive it when they find out his "payroll" went to independent contractors and not w2 employees. In that case we 1099s should just apply for unemployment or loans of our own. Anyone know who's right here?

My Bank's interpretation is that 1099 costs do not count as payroll costs for the PPP. That lines up with both your link and the Treasury's PPP Borrower Information Sheet. The Bank is most likely wrong, this poo poo has changed a dozen times in half as many days unfortunately.

^If they aren't paying agent fees they aren't paying agent fees.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Covok posted:

This stimulus package is such poo poo.

Yesterday, they limited the $10,000 grant to $1,000 per employee to a max of $10,000. I have a singe person business who is pissed at me now because their grant went from $10,000 to $1,000 and that doesn't even cover the rent on their yoga studio. The Paycheck Protection Loan is even worse, in a way. Banks are supposed to give us a 1% agent fee for preparing the return. The law has this in the text so that we won't charge for applications. Guess what? Every bank I've seen has their own way around.
TD doesn't let you complete the application if you say you're using an agent.
M&T says on their website that your accountant can't complete the form for you.
PNC has it in their application that they WILL NOT pay agency fees if you used an agent.

And so on and so forth.

Anyone know a way around this? The banks are getting 5% on these loans. They're supposed to give us 1% because we aren't charging the clients.

Well gently caress me, I never saw about the $1,000 per employee bit. Where did you hear that? I wasn't aware they had even issued any of the grants yet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Well gently caress me, I never saw about the $1,000 per employee bit. Where did you hear that? I wasn't aware they had even issued any of the grants yet.

It's not 100% confirmed. A newsletter came out from the Massachusetts SBA saying that "The grants will begin coming out this week. $1,000 per employee up to a maximum of $10,000."

Here is the newsletter. https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USSBA/bulletins/284f240

Edit: I've been following this closely because I'm stuck at home and my returns have dried up for the most part.

The SBA is overwhelmed. loving youtubers told everyone this program was "FREE MONEY! APPLY NOW" and was saying things like "oh, you run a hobby shop making ice sculptures and haven't made a sale in two years? Well, apply because you will get $10,000 for free." At no point did anyone stop and consider that the EDIL is a pre-existing loan that has a specific requirement: to aid distressed businesses impacted by a federally declared disaster. The grant portion was new and people were rushing to take advantage of its lack of oversight. Thanks to you know who, the SBA is so defunded they can't sort these applications but they KNOW that a lot of these applications are bullshit "johnny come latelys" here to take money from the people who need it. While its supposed to be "first come, first serve," they locked down the grant and stopped anyone from getting it and have been constantly changing the rules to try to ration the money out. Some people are begin given 15k loans as a "is this enough for you? If so, please take it and leave" right now.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 8, 2020

Covok
May 27, 2013

How is everyone applying clients for the PPL?

Originally, I just prepared everyone a paper form and gave them the supporting documents. However, none of the banks are accepting these forms and making them fill it out again. A lot of my clients are computer unsavy and I've been forced to have to walk them through things over the phone. I had to take 20 minutes to tell a client how to attach files to a website because they literally had no idea how to do that. I'm not tech support.

I've considered logging into their bank accounts and just doing it myself. However, I am currently refusing to do so since every login is requiring you to say you are the business owner.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How are you getting the PPP intralinks password for BofA apps?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Most of our business clients are single-member S Corps, many of which don't really have huge expenses besides their payroll... so in theory, if they get the PPP and use it for payroll expenses (presumably 2.5 months of wages), and it runs out...and they also get the EIDL, can they then use the EIDL funds to pay payroll expenses (for later periods, after PPP is all used up)? It seems like that should be fine since it wouldn't be ~the same~ expense... it's a different period of payroll... or does having the PPP forever taint your EIDL funds so they can't be used for payroll?

Covok
May 27, 2013

black.lion posted:

Most of our business clients are single-member S Corps, many of which don't really have huge expenses besides their payroll... so in theory, if they get the PPP and use it for payroll expenses (presumably 2.5 months of wages), and it runs out...and they also get the EIDL, can they then use the EIDL funds to pay payroll expenses (for later periods, after PPP is all used up)? It seems like that should be fine since it wouldn't be ~the same~ expense... it's a different period of payroll... or does having the PPP forever taint your EIDL funds so they can't be used for payroll?

You have to refinance the EIDL to a PPL for that to work for forgiveness purposes.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Japan is just handing out thick stacks of cash to all of my clients.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sale on Banksy art posted:

Japan is just handing out thick stacks of cash to all of my clients.

US can never do that, both sides of the aisle continually poo poo themselves at the idea that someone who doesn't "need" money will get it and so everything has to be 4 million times more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

US can never do that, both sides of the aisle continually poo poo themselves at the idea that someone who doesn't "need" money will get it and so everything has to be 4 million times more complicated.

Changes to 163(j) would like a word with you. Bunch of foreign blocker corps for rich investors getting a bunch of free money.