Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BeastOfExmoor posted:

An article popped up in my Google news feed that said mortgage providers are showing higher rates because they don't have the personnel to meet demand. I was surprised that this many people were on the ball enough to jump on lower rates, but I suppose that it only takes a fraction of a percent of the population to overwhelm the mortgage system.

Can anyone who's seeing low rates still post the 15yr rate?

I got paperwork back last night from an application that I put in on Monday for 2.375%. However, the paperwork does NOT have it as a locked rate so I'm waiting to confirm that I received that rate before continuing. I believe 2.75-2.825% is the current market right now, if they can keep up.

Who knows what'll happen today though. I'm planning to lock in anything under 2.75% given the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I think my sister just refinanced for a 15yr fixed at 2.66%.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

H110Hawk posted:

Easy, the government prints that money for them at a slightly lower rate.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also chances are fair the company that gives you a mortgage this month won’t own it in the next few months. Not gonna be their problem.

That's kind of missing the point I was making. Yeah, I know it's not as simple as the scenario I laid out, that's why I said "I know this isn't how it works." I was just trying to appreciate how weird this all is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Gotcha. Weird doesn’t seem to phase me much lately.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
My limited eating out is going by the wayside. Hey, at least I'm not using up my stock cupboard in this crisis,!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Sloth Life posted:

My limited eating out is going by the wayside. Hey, at least I'm not using up my stock cupboard in this crisis,!

Yeah, I figure any time I'm out for some other reason, if there's a convenient drive through of some sort on my way home, then I need to make that hay while the sun shines and conserve what I've got at home.

I'm also trying to gas up my car any time I go below 3/4 tank since there was a panic run on gas a couple years ago in large portions of Texas and that wasn't fun. I have alternatives to needing toilet paper, but run into bigger problems not being able to get around unless society has broken down in some larger way anyway. The good news about working from home and not being able to go out anywhere socially is that I'm not burning through gas quickly at all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DNK posted:

I lurk a lot of BFC threads, and it’s funny to see the huge spike in posting when there’s a downturn. Meanwhile, I’m chillin in my index funds not giving a gently caress. Cheers to the rest of the bogle bros.

spwrozek posted:

Indeed. I actually bought more.

Sock The Great posted:

Me too, topped off the last bit of my 2019 IRA this morning. Feeling really good about it.

Just getting caught up after being ill for a while and these aged like milk.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nocheez posted:

Does it matter in 30 years for me? Not really. I bought more last Friday, will next pay day, etc.

But yes didn't age great...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Hey I'm in the same boat, except getting sick delayed my normal Roth IRA purchase. Looks like I'm getting a bargain this year!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

I was going to max out my 2019 IRA after my tax refund came in anyway. I was just sticking to my plan.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
None of us saw this coming. What are we, Republican chair of the Senate intelligence committee?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Update: I’m still chilling in my index funds.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DNK posted:

Update: I’m still chilling in my index funds.

Same. Can't invest unless I dip into emergency funds and I'm trying to get as many months as possible right now. Without crazy lifestyle change we could 8-9 months right now.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Feeling pretty good about procrastinting dumping money into my superannuation for the FHSS right now. I've got a pretty secure job and have been holding cash (saving for a home deposit) so it's pretty much business as usual for me.

Nocheez posted:

None of us saw this coming. What are we, Republican chair of the Senate intelligence committee?

Didn't want to let this go unrecognised :perfect:

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'm also trying to gas up my car any time I go below 3/4 tank since there was a panic run on gas a couple years ago in large portions of Texas and that wasn't fun. I have alternatives to needing toilet paper, but run into bigger problems not being able to get around unless society has broken down in some larger way anyway. The good news about working from home and not being able to go out anywhere socially is that I'm not burning through gas quickly at all.

No problems with fuel around here yet (aside from retailers not passing on savings on the plummeting price, but that's not a new phenomenon), but I went to pick up a 20L petrol jerrycan yesterday as a "just in case" thing and my local auto parts store was sold out of them.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Trying to build better financial health. Recommend me books, articles, videos on building positive habits and destroying negative habits.

There is a world of literature on this topic but I don’t know what’s legitimate and what is garbage self-help scamming.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Trying to build better financial health. Recommend me books, articles, videos on building positive habits and destroying negative habits.
What are you talking about, like budgeting? Spending problems? Investing regularly for retirement? What are your actual goals and issues? Because "financial health" is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

There is a world of literature on this topic but I don’t know what’s legitimate and what is garbage self-help scamming.

Mister Money Mustache's blog is pretty good, even if his more recent stuff has dropped off in quality/relevance.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Ethics_Gradient posted:

No problems with fuel around here yet (aside from retailers not passing on savings on the plummeting price, but that's not a new phenomenon), but I went to pick up a 20L petrol jerrycan yesterday as a "just in case" thing and my local auto parts store was sold out of them.

Since every non-grocery location is closed, I haven’t had any need for fuel. On this past week of vacation we drove a grand total of 18 miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Mister Money Mustache's blog is pretty good, even if his more recent stuff has dropped off in quality/relevance.

he's terrible

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You too can "FIRE" while running a website non stop for significant income!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

You too can "FIRE" while running a website non stop for significant income!

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TraderStav posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I have nothing against the guy, I just find the advice disingenuous (pretty much all FIRE blogs honestly). He got the getting while it was good though, so good for him.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I have nothing against the guy, I just find the advice disingenuous (pretty much all FIRE blogs honestly). He got the getting while it was good though, so good for him.

I think if you look at the base facts it's all good. For higher-earners, don't fall into the trap of buying poo poo that you don't actually need (cheap steel for lifting rather than a $3K bowflex, etc.) and save a ton you can have more agency over your life.

It's a good message. But that doesn't invalidate your points, just that I find sifting away the crap lets me hone in on the good he has to say.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

TraderStav posted:

I think if you look at the base facts it's all good. For higher-earners, don't fall into the trap of buying poo poo that you don't actually need (cheap steel for lifting rather than a $3K bowflex, etc.) and save a ton you can have more agency over your life.

It's a good message. But that doesn't invalidate your points, just that I find sifting away the crap lets me hone in on the good he has to say.

Yeah, this is what I meant by "it's solid but the more recent stuff isn't that good". He espouses a pretty Stoic mindset with goes very well with financial self-discipline, and lots of his earlier articles are very relevant and universal - the one on the true costs of commuting is something every adult should read before they pick a place to live.

The whole FIRE thing is impossible for me given my career and when I started, so I've always read that (and similar posts elsewhere, including this thread) with a degree of "yeah, sure :rolleyes:"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TraderStav posted:

you've just posted the only thing he says that is at all useful which is "don't buy poo poo you don't need" and "especially don't buy poo poo you don't need because it's somehow ~expected~ of you"

true cost of commuting post is decent i guess. maybe it's just my job background talking but "figure out what something actually costs to do" is not at all innovative or exciting.

now that mother fucker is out there being like "bike to the hardware store with your bike trailer" which, come on man

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you've just posted the only thing he says that is at all useful which is "don't buy poo poo you don't need" and "especially don't buy poo poo you don't need because it's somehow ~expected~ of you"

true cost of commuting post is decent i guess. maybe it's just my job background talking but "figure out what something actually costs to do" is not at all innovative or exciting.

now that mother fucker is out there being like "bike to the hardware store with your bike trailer" which, come on man

I always viewed those things as caricatures to reinforce the point through repetition and example.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I always viewed those things as caricatures to reinforce the point through repetition and example.

i always viewed it as him suckin his own dick but sure, i guess he could be doing that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i always viewed it as him suckin his own dick but sure, i guess he could be doing that

I think you're right. He huffed enough of his own farts that he ended up divorced.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
IIRC he wrote an entry about how "my divorce is none of the public's business but everyone keeps asking if it's because I'm too frugal. It's not because I'm too frugal"

I can believe that. Marriage is hard

Is there anything wrong with his blog generating revenue when he (ostensibly... obviously it's possible he has fabricated every bit of info he has ever posted) doesn't spend it? Living on ~$24k a year is impressive whether you're making $24k or $240k!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

I think you're right. He huffed enough of his own farts that he ended up divorced.

I feel attacked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I feel attacked.

You pass gas for others consumption, not for your own.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

You pass gas for others consumption, not for your own.

You don't know his recreational habits.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Well I was officially furloughed today through at least April 22 earlier today. However, I would expect this to actually go much longer. Will definitely tap some emergency funds. Luckily my employer has committed to paying 100% of our health benefits (as opposed to 73%) while we are furloughed. I paused DCA on my and my wife's 2020 IRA's and deferred our one car payment until July. I've made a bunch of extra payments against the principal, so I could actually push this off until September if required.

Does anyone have a reliable calculator for estimating unemployment benefits? Google results are all over the place and not state specific. I'm pretty sure I will get the maximum allowed in Connecticut ($649/week).

I ran my balance / budgeting spreadsheet and I should be fine through August without tapping any taxable investments or "other" cash I have stashed away.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sock The Great posted:

Well I was officially furloughed today through at least April 22 earlier today. However, I would expect this to actually go much longer. Will definitely tap some emergency funds. Luckily my employer has committed to paying 100% of our health benefits (as opposed to 73%) while we are furloughed. I paused DCA on my and my wife's 2020 IRA's and deferred our one car payment until July. I've made a bunch of extra payments against the principal, so I could actually push this off until September if required.

Does anyone have a reliable calculator for estimating unemployment benefits? Google results are all over the place and not state specific. I'm pretty sure I will get the maximum allowed in Connecticut ($649/week).

I ran my balance / budgeting spreadsheet and I should be fine through August without tapping any taxable investments or "other" cash I have stashed away.

Sorry man, I am no help but hope it will get back to normal by May. Hang in there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Well I was officially furloughed today through at least April 22 earlier today.

The Connecticut website should have a description of the benefits. Usually it's something dumb like "60% of your highest 4 months of the past 12 months, up to a maximum of $649/week."

Sorry for the bad news, sounds like you have a firm grip on the situation though and a good foundation to grow on. Make sure your car payment is actually not due until September on the bills.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IIRC he wrote an entry about how "my divorce is none of the public's business but everyone keeps asking if it's because I'm too frugal. It's not because I'm too frugal"

I can believe that. Marriage is hard

this is also what a frugality blogger would say about his divorce if it was because he was too frugal

Sock The Great posted:

rather than pushing the car payment yourself, you should reach out to your financer. most of the OEM captive financing companies (Hyundai Financial Services, Volkswagen Credit Inc et al) are allowing you to push payments if you are laid off. worth a shot.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is also what a frugality blogger would say about his divorce if it was because he was too frugal

uh no, it was because she wasn't frugal enough. duh.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Sock The Great posted:

I paused DCA on my and my wife's 2020 IRA's and deferred our one car payment until July.

Roth or Traditional? If it's Roth, then you can back out some out all of the contributions you've made this year for now and recover the cash instead since you need it short term. With the market behaving as it has, you probably don't have earnings on those contributions you'd need to worry about paying penalties for, and if you have better fortune the second half of the year, then you'll have until April of next year to re-contribute toward the IRA limit for this year.

I'm not sure how the above advice changes for a Traditional IRA.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SpelledBackwards posted:

Roth or Traditional? If it's Roth, then you can back out some out all of the contributions you've made this year for now and recover the cash instead since you need it short term. With the market behaving as it has, you probably don't have earnings on those contributions you'd need to worry about paying penalties for, and if you have better fortune the second half of the year, then you'll have until April of next year to re-contribute toward the IRA limit for this year.

I'm not sure how the above advice changes for a Traditional IRA.

It’s Roth but I’m just going to remain paused on investing for the time being. I ran the numbers and with my emergency fund and unemployment benefits I will be fine until at least August.

This is assuming my unemployment benefit is the current Connecticut max ($649/week), which it should be, but I won’t know for sure until I receive my first payment. This doesn’t account for the additional unemployment benefits or direct cash payments which will pass the Senate tomorrow.

Beyond August I may need to dip into my taxable investments, but I have reasons onto believe I’ll be back to work long before then. Just planning for the worst!

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I'm deemed essential and our industry is considered critical by Homeland security, so my job is safe, and it's a very recession proof industry. Took this opportunity to increase my 401k contributions by 2%. Feel lucky, though I also have to interact with people still so I'm hand washing like crazy and eating my lunch in the car instead of the breakroom.