Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(in fairness that was a very poorly/dated phrased way to say "don't use racial caricatures in your story" which is frequently republished without the context)

Methinks Knox was bitten once too many times by the works of and those inspired by Sax Rohmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I agree Kim's a great character specifically because he has a type (no nonsense, serious cop who is the straight man to your goofiness) but he breaks that occasionally because he's, well, human. The times he indulges some of your nonsense, or lets you try something weird just to see where it goes, or even gets into it himself to go along with all the other times when he's there to clear his throat and give you a "c'mon don't embarrass me" look. It's good. He's good. Game's good.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
When you poke the default radio stations in Kim's car is the moment I went "Yes, I will like Kim." but it's moments when he can show humour and disapproval at the same time that I really felt close.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Glagha posted:

I agree Kim's a great character specifically because he has a type (no nonsense, serious cop who is the straight man to your goofiness) but he breaks that occasionally because he's, well, human. The times he indulges some of your nonsense, or lets you try something weird just to see where it goes, or even gets into it himself to go along with all the other times when he's there to clear his throat and give you a "c'mon don't embarrass me" look. It's good. He's good. Game's good.

The same things that make Kim endearing to us -- his patience, his humor, his curiosity & care toward others, and gentility while holding others accountable for their actions -- are the same things that make him a good police officer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

With the latest patch in place, is there a way to edit your inventory?

Also, are the Jamrock Shuffle \ Torque Dork thoughts (not the achievement) finally available?

Ghouljokes
Nov 30, 2016

Ok wait how did I only just now notice each family of skills has its own unique sound for passive checks?

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

With the latest patch in place, is there a way to edit your inventory?

Also, are the Jamrock Shuffle \ Torque Dork thoughts (not the achievement) finally available?

I don't know about Jamrock Shuffle, but I got the Torque Dork thought in a play through I did in February.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just finished day 2 of my first playthrough. So far I've been going for a mix of good and sorry cop. I think I solved the curse of that business building? And got some dice out it?

Anywho, this game cracks me the gently caress up; even in the midst of some dark discussion there have been some belly laughs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Gluten-Free Pie achievement was changed to "now you're cutting out carbs" (used to be "cutting out cards"). How do you make so many spelling errors that some sneak into your achievement descriptions?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did come up before, but the general gist of the rule is usually taken as 'don't have a scary minority du jour as the obvious culprit or a blatant red herring'. Not sure if you could consider any characters as an obvious culprit via prejudice, though there is a bit I dismissed where the protagonist is tempted to pin the whole thing on a drunken vagrant.

That said, it's a different take given the idea is to avoid the topic of prejudice altogether to not abuse the audience's presumed bigotries, while Disco Elysium instead takes the topic fairly head-on, including how absurd racism looks when it's thrown back in your face without any real authority behind it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Did come up before, but the general gist of the rule is usually taken as 'don't have a scary minority du jour as the obvious culprit or a blatant red herring'. Not sure if you could consider any characters as an obvious culprit via prejudice, though there is a bit I dismissed where the protagonist is tempted to pin the whole thing on a drunken vagrant.

That said, it's a different take given the idea is to avoid the topic of prejudice altogether to not abuse the audience's presumed bigotries, while Disco Elysium instead takes the topic fairly head-on, including how absurd racism looks when it's thrown back in your face without any real authority behind it.

yeah, I think the "chinaman" thing was because that was a very specific stock character which was in vogue in trash fiction at the time.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Xander77 posted:

The Gluten-Free Pie achievement was changed to "now you're cutting out carbs" (used to be "cutting out cards"). How do you make so many spelling errors that some sneak into your achievement descriptions?

by being eastern european with a small budget and having to count on their own knowledge of the english language?

they probably only got money for a native proofreader now, come on

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also the game contains a shitload of text

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, I think the "chinaman" thing was because that was a very specific stock character which was in vogue in trash fiction at the time.
As much flak as they've gotten since pretty much the day they were printed, the "commandments" were by and large reactions to things Knox had read in contemporary books. The full context of the rules (there's commentary provided after each one) just speak a bit more to "be thoughtful in your writing and at least have a good reason to use these devices," though of course they also are the shape of his preferred kind of mystery-as-solvable-puzzle.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I beat the game as a sensitive and physical guy, getting a bad outcome at the tribunal due to not having a weapon.

I resolved most everything else to my liking, except now I’m ashamed at narcing out the ravers, which I did because I didn’t know that both they and Soona could share the church and mutually benefit.

I want to go back, but I wonder what else I could do. Some of the big changes would be things like not finding things like bagging the body without finding the bullet that probably wouldn’t be satisfying to do? One big thing I want to do differently is that I ended up exploring much of the shore area on my own without Kim after bagging the body. Finding your car without him actually felt kind of right, but finding it with him would be cool too.

So what fun things does Inland Empire suggest that turn out to be half-true? Off the top of my head:

Lely was having fun when he died, but not because of asphyxiation.

The secrets you’re promised for looking into Lely’s mouth turns out to be the bullet that killed him, not some dark existential thing.

It would be a bad idea to set a creature like Cunoesse “free to wander the cosmos,” because you’re shooting a kid what’s wrong with you of course you’re getting a game over.

Edit: spoilered the wrong thing

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 25, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Finding the car *with* Kim is great, you should do it or just Youtube it. It's just got a touching little cutscene and most people, including myself seemed to enjoy that bit a lot. I also did most of the stuff in that area without Kim, but I managed to do that and sort of just meet a few people before I went back for some reason, probably to get that body down. I feel like I know most of the major differences in outcomes, but I didn't ever find out what happens if you steal the boots off the corpse, does Kim just not acknowledge that you're wearing the dead guy's high-tech, expensive armored boots?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I didn't ever find out what happens if you steal the boots off the corpse, does Kim just not acknowledge that you're wearing the dead guy's high-tech, expensive armored boots?

You can tell Kim you're wearing the boots and he says "Yes, I see that." :allears:

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Dr Christmas posted:

I beat the game as a sensitive and physical guy, getting a bad outcome at the tribunal due to not having a weapon.

If you were playing as a sensitive and physical guy, it sounds like you missed out on the necktie mini-quest.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hwurmp posted:

You can tell Kim you're wearing the boots and he says "Yes, I see that." :allears:

It's wild he is willing to put up with grand larceny and tampering with evidence like that.

I guess the cops must really be rotten if he decided it's still worth working with you rather than reporting it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hogama posted:

As much flak as they've gotten since pretty much the day they were printed, the "commandments" were by and large reactions to things Knox had read in contemporary books. The full context of the rules (there's commentary provided after each one) just speak a bit more to "be thoughtful in your writing and at least have a good reason to use these devices," though of course they also are the shape of his preferred kind of mystery-as-solvable-puzzle.

this is the full list btw, which is a fun read and provides the context for the rules

http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/page/7931441/Ronald%20Knox%27s%20Ten%20Commandments%20for%20Detective%20Fiction

and while these rules are about "golden age" detective fiction which were a completely different writing style to modern fiction, and this game, I did like this part:

quote:

The true essence of a detective story - I am thinking for the moment of those which occupy a whole volume; we will come to the short story later on - is that in it the action takes place before the story begins. [...] The real action of the book is now over; incidents may still occur, but the horror and violence are already at an end before the great detective appears on the scene.

e) incidentally, for more modern works, these aren't "rules", more like tropes, but I really like this page, and some of the listed books in the database are great.

http://www.postmodernmystery.com/index.html

Particularly relevant to DE:

quote:

5. Not Much Crime, But Plenty of Clues: Why worry
about solving a particular crime, when the whole world is a
web of clues and complicity? In the postmodern novel,
almost everything can be seen as evidence, and even the
most banal, everyday event can be infused with a sense of
paranoia and foreboding.

Examples:
Witold Gombrowicz: Cosmos
Thomas Pynchon: The Crying of Lot 49
Umberto Eco: Foucault’s Pendulum

6. The Wounded Investigator: The heroic qualities of
the detective are undermined in the postmodern mystery.
Instead of the shrewd and courageous private investigator,
we encounter Christopher Boone, a 15-year-old autistic
boy, or Lionel Essrog, afflicted with Tourette’s syndrome,
or Doc Sportello, burned out on too many drugs with
barely enough brain cells functioning to find where he
parked his car, let alone solve a murder mystery.

Examples:
Jonathan Lethem: Motherless Brooklyn
Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the
Night-Time
Thomas Pynchon: Inherent Vice

7. The Genre Mashup: The postmodern mind delights
in the juxtaposition of contrary genres and styles. So why
shouldn’t a postmodern mystery also take on elements of
a sci-fi story? Or a gothic romance? Or a historical
novel?

Examples:
Joyce Carol Oates: Mysteries of Winterthurn
Douglas Adams: Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
Umberto Eco: The Name of the Rose

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 25, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is the full list btw, which is a fun read and provides the context for the rules

http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/page/7931441/Ronald%20Knox%27s%20Ten%20Commandments%20for%20Detective%20Fiction

and while these rules are about "golden age" detective fiction which were a completely different writing style to modern fiction, and this game, I did like this part:

e) incidentally, for more modern works, these aren't "rules", more like tropes, but I really like this page, and some of the listed books in the database are great.

http://www.postmodernmystery.com/index.html

Particularly relevant to DE:

I might have to do some book browsing now. :cheers:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's wild he is willing to put up with grand larceny and tampering with evidence like that.

The boots aren’t really that important evidence wise since you can find other armor parts. It’s on the level of, say, taking someone’s sweet rims.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I made sure that sending Kim away was the very last thing I did that day so I didn't miss anything with him, crazy you people did it any other way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why Raymond Chandler derisively referred to these "golden age" stories as a device to provide a corpse and a puzzle. Disco Elysium goes out of its way to break every single one of these rules, including the one important not mentioned by Knox but which Chandler set a great store on - Harry is investigating the murder because it's his freaking job.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mr. Lobe posted:

I guess the cops must really be rotten if he decided it's still worth working with you rather than reporting it

IIRC Espirit de Corps says that if anyone asks he’s ratting you out

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

This is correct, Kim says something to you and Espirit basically translates it as "yeah I'm not covering if anyone asks". I don't blame him lol, how do you explain that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i mean... they're really good boots

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Kim's tolerance has great limits because the RCM is a volunteer force, they have no budget, no backup, and you're both in hostile territory. If he ditches you or turns you in he can't do his job which is to finish the investigation.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Zero VGS posted:

This is correct, Kim says something to you and Espirit basically translates it as "yeah I'm not covering if anyone asks". I don't blame him lol, how do you explain that.

If you lift the boots when he's not around, does he comment on you wearing them later?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Dick posted:

If you lift the boots when he's not around, does he comment on you wearing them later?

only if you literally point out to him that you are wearing the dead man’s boots which he very specifically told you not to steal

he says “yes, you must have had a difficult time getting them off” and then pointedly never speaks of it again

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I like that you can earn honor points for saying you'd never take the boots, immediately go back on your word by refreshing the same dialogue tree and choosing otherwise, loot the boots, and then say, as you're cleaning them, you're doing it to defend yourself.

Which... yeah, true, but really I just wanted the boots and their stat changes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Meeting your posse with a full set of armor. :allears:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

itry posted:

Meeting your posse with a full set of armor. :allears:

That's what I did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, after the latest patch I'm noticing that descriptions of thoughts in the Thought Cabinet are getting cut off due to a change in the font size or what-have-you. Is there any way to fix this?

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

:allears:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

The whole lead up to that is great too; pretending to go to bed, ditching Kim, sneaking into the basement, yanking off the boots, washing them in the kitchen sink in the middle of the night only to strut out the next morning all proud at your little heist. It's a great little sequence.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Arist posted:

Hey, after the latest patch I'm noticing that descriptions of thoughts in the Thought Cabinet are getting cut off due to a change in the font size or what-have-you. Is there any way to fix this?

I just bought this in the Steam sale and I kept thinking there was some way to scroll through the text that I was missing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, now I ran into a weird-rear end glitch: I gave the drunks in the fishing village Evrart's letter to sign by accident when I actually wanted to forge it myself, so I tried to reload, but couldn't open the Esc menu, so I used Task Manager to exit the game. When I started the game back up, I was in some debug menu:

And now I automatically start in it whenever I boot the game. What the gently caress????

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Woah, interesting that the dream area is right below the portion of the map in an inaccessible area. Have you tried clicking on any of those options? Like Halo test scene, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Imhotep posted:

Woah, interesting that the dream area is right below the portion of the map in an inaccessible area. Have you tried clicking on any of those options? Like Halo test scene, etc

"Block-In Playground," "Halo Test Scene," "Sense of Scale," "Grayroom," "Bright Room," and "Room of Motion" don't respond when I click them. I'm going to assume they removed whatever those would send me to.

Clicking on "Dream 3-INT" sends me to a dream scene I've never seen before, on the islet, speaking with Dolores Dei, though maybe that's in the game somewhere and I missed it somehow? (e: Oh, it's for when you sleep in the flak tower? I thought I did that, maybe there's some other requirement)

The most interesting thing I found is that clicking on the second dream sequence puts Kim there with you, but he obviously has no lines in the scene.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 27, 2020