Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

There is a new, substantial study, saying that N95 masks can be stelilized of the virus by cooking @ 160F for 30 min

Less substantial study saying you can sterilize by putting masks outside for 3 hours, rotating every 30 min due to UV from the sun

I don't take responsibility if you die from the roni, but hope this helps

Also, you should be able to decontaminate a mask by taking it out of use for 72 hours, but whatever. Kind of odd that hospitals are "running out" of masks. We leave our groceries in the entry hall for 3 days to disinfect.

edit: apparently a dry rice cooker will heat to ~165F which makes for an easy covid-19 sanitizer

Hospitals aren't set up to arrange that even if it works.
No saying it won't come to that, an anesthetist was wearing a plastic bag yesterday. Only weeks since we all laughed at the Chinese wearing bottles on their heads.

Cooking the mask surely must cause them to break down though? again, it might end up being better than nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There is a new, substantial study, saying that N95 masks can be stelilized of the virus by cooking @ 160F for 30 min

Less substantial study saying you can sterilize by putting masks outside for 3 hours, rotating every 30 min due to UV from the sun

I don't take responsibility if you die from the roni, but hope this helps

Also, you should be able to decontaminate a mask by taking it out of use for 72 hours, but whatever. Kind of odd that hospitals are "running out" of masks. We leave our groceries in the entry hall for 3 days to disinfect.

edit: apparently a dry rice cooker will heat to ~165F which makes for an easy covid-19 sanitizer

When I was a RN in the hospital, they didn't stock too many N95 masks because you almost never needed them. For this, nobody prepared properly and by the time they did, there weren't enough to go around as prices shot up.

My US Rep gave a call last night for healthcare workers and nobody has appropriate PPE. She was pretty adamant that the US/trump admin/CDC/etc hosed up big time and didn't prepare well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OMFG FURRY posted:

you are better off going to a piercing studio that has a proper autoclave to do that but uhhh theres a reason hospitals aren't doing this, its a pretty big last measure when there aren't any other options and getting new masks cuts down on the human factor of someone screwing up a sterilization and giving everyone 'hot' masks.

I think the problem is that autoclaves can't be set to 160F and the ultra fine microfiber starts to break down north of 170F

Isopropyl alcohol and water reduce effectiveness and change the charge of the filter which reduces filtration effectiveness

I would rather wear a baked N95 than a surgical mask, but that's just me. I have 20 N95 and no surgical masks, and an oven that goes to 160F

edit: holy gently caress, prince charles really did test positive for coronavirus, rip

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Someone needs to mock up a Charles-Roni-2020 commemorative plate

I hear that the Mexican president call covid "a fad disease". loving lol. Yes, it's the hula hoop of deadly plagues

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 25, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been eating kale because they've had beautiful kale at the farm stand near me and it has the unexpected benefit of allowing me to test that my sense of smell is working first thing in the morning every morning and throughout the day. So far: no virus

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I need some advice goons.

I am the shipping dept. at work. We're a pretty small branch of a company that fixes stuff in restaurant/hotel/hosiptal/school kitchens, got a few branches in a couple of states. We're essential so we're not closing. Business has slowed down so hard they've furloughed a few people and we're running on a reduced staff. I am part of the team that's staying around.

My wife is relieved that I'm still working, but I'm loving terrified. I'm in a red state and the gov. is dragging his feet on any kind of meaningful shutdown. We had our first case less than 3 weeks ago and we're over 100 now. Starting to see big daily spikes from that exponential growth. I'm expecting it to really blow up over the next couple of weeks. The people I work with are still going out to dr appointments, going out for smoke breaks together, and overall they are older, conservative people who were poking fun me for spraying down all my incoming shipments with Lysol back on the 19th.

Personally I do not feel the least bit essential. I've been getting less than 10 shipments a day (forecast for today is, literally, 3 boxes) and almost no businesses will let our techs in to do work anyway. I know I should work as long as possible but I'm having an increasingly hard time justifying putting myself and my wife at risk so I can open 3-5 boxes a day, for parts that are going to sit on the shelf because 90% of our business is gone right now. I am in a position where I could take almost a month off with full pay. I have had a sore throat for about 5 days now and it doesn't seem to be progressing but I am strongly considering quarantining myself anyway. I think the odds of one of our staff getting sick and having the whole place shut down are pretty strong and I would rather bounce before that happens.

I feel pretty bad as this is a good job with good people running it and I'm absurdly lucky to have this company at my back considering the other places I could work for. Even if I round up to 'cold symptoms' which would probably spook the manager enough to approve it, it does feel dishonest. But like I said I am terrified. I am teetering on the edge of a panic attack basically any moment I'm not at home with my wife and cat.

So goons, what would you do? What should I do?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Adolf Glitter posted:

Hospitals aren't set up to arrange that even if it works.
No saying it won't come to that, an anesthetist was wearing a plastic bag yesterday. Only weeks since we all laughed at the Chinese wearing bottles on their heads.

Cooking the mask surely must cause them to break down though? again, it might end up being better than nothing

There are presicion laboratory ovens with large capacities (like 200 to 1000 litre) that can maintain required temperatures with good accuracy we used for soil testing.

I think they can serve with minimal setup (only thing you need is three phase plugs, you can have a fuel generator and use a three phase extension cable) and hopefully not burn the masks granted that heating them up works.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As someone else said: you can always get another job; you can't get a new pair of lungs.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

pixaal posted:

When the bodies get bad you will be staying home because the national guard will be throwing us into mass graves.

Yeah, probably.
An update: starting this Saturday, there will be no tent setups and no gatherings, only dropping bodies in.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Go home.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

As someone else said: you can always get another job; you can't get a new pair of lungs.

Alternatively, stay more than 6 feet away from your idiot coworkers and keep your job? Sounds like you’re already cleaning your work area properly.

You do you, but if it meant keeping or losing my job/healthcare and I had it set up where I could still do that safely by appropriately social distancing, why wouldn’t I?

E: if your work environment is as you say and you’re able to stay away from the idiots you work with, you’ll likely be more exposed to people/the virus by going to the grocery store. Will you stop doing that as well?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 25, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No because getting food happens in both scenarios.
Otoh working with boomers who think the pandemic is fake news will 100% get you infected

e: that's pretty much settled then

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 25, 2020

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cacafuego posted:

Alternatively, stay more than 6 feet away from your idiot coworkers and keep your job? Sounds like you’re already cleaning your work area properly.

You do you, but if it meant keeping or losing my job/healthcare and I had it set up where I could still do that safely by appropriately social distancing, why wouldn’t I?

E: if your work environment is as you say and you’re able to stay away from the idiots you work with, you’ll likely be more exposed to people/the virus by going to the grocery store. Will you stop doing that as well?

I wouldn't lose my job and I have stocked up to the point that yes I will stop going to the grocery store, at least for a couple of weeks, and I had been doing in-car pick up at the walmart prior to this.

Addtl info is that my direct supervisor has been out for over 2 weeks already & is still waiting to hear the results of the covid-19 test he took last week. Says he's recovering though.

e: like Im not going to the grocery store for a few weeks either way

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I wouldn't lose my job and I have stocked up to the point that yes I will stop going to the grocery store, at least for a couple of weeks, and I had been doing in-car pick up at the walmart prior to this.

Addtl info is that my direct supervisor has been out for over 2 weeks already & is still waiting to hear the results of the covid-19 test he took last week. Says he's recovering though.

e: like Im not going to the grocery store for a few weeks either way

In that case, stay home

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

You know it's going to be bad when some of the Waffle Houses have to close down.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Put it this way, if you take sick leave (which means someone else at the workplace has to open 3 extra boxes per day in your stead) and no one gets sick and it all blows over then the worst thing that happens is that you look a little bit silly

If you don't take sick leave and you keep turning up to that workplace where no one takes the pandemic seriously then the worst thing that could happen is you and your wife both end up in hospital on ventilators and maybe get permanent lung damage

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
On the other hand if you adjust for the cost of goggles, masks and purell you could just poo poo post all day at work AND be protected

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
those halcyon days when just stairs were enough

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They are taking it more seriously at least than the last few weeks but I think the point has been made. I will have a chat with my branch manager. Thanks goons.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

we're all doomed

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

:shobon:

Over where?

Germany (my Avatar's arm patch is a dead giveaway, us Germans love putting symbols on our arms ;-)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Finally the financial relief I've been waiting for.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
The hospital I work at is grossly unprepared. One of the on call biomeds got dispatched to a call last weekend in CCU. There are currently active COVID patients in that unit and the nursing staff had limited ppe, with many of them not even wearing masks at all.
He brought it up to our supervisor who in turn had a meeting with the CCU head nurse this past Monday, and she no poo poo told him that, “people are blowing this out of proportion. It’s no worse than the normal flu.”
I don’t want to go to work at this place. It seems like I’m the only one walking around with a mask and gloves, and all I do is work on the drat equipment.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Hopper posted:

us Germans love putting symbols on our arms ;-)

:eyepop:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rasta_Al posted:

The hospital I work at is grossly unprepared. One of the on call biomeds got dispatched to a call last weekend in CCU. There are currently active COVID patients in that unit and the nursing staff had limited ppe, with many of them not even wearing masks at all.
He brought it up to our supervisor who in turn had a meeting with the CCU head nurse this past Monday, and she no poo poo told him that, “people are blowing this out of proportion. It’s no worse than the normal flu.”
I don’t want to go to work at this place. It seems like I’m the only one walking around with a mask and gloves, and all I do is work on the drat equipment.

is all the deaths coming about from this fake news?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

tater_salad posted:

What's the R0 of facebook memes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kittenmittons posted:

gently caress, just give it out no strings attached. People need relief, I don't give a poo poo if a few trust fund shitheads get free money.

I’m gonna use my Trumpbux as a down payment on a jet ski.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tater_salad posted:

People don't pay attention to other countries they don't have our advanced medicine! No no we are simply the best at everything number one light years ahead their numbers are meaningless la la la I can't hear you.

What about a global economy la la la

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Interesting that Republicans are actively talking about letting half their base die of swamp lung so the other half of their base doesn't lose any net worth. Yet they still have 100% right wing support.

Stop the world I want to get off. Oh it did stop? I was bluffing I want to stay :smith:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kittenmittons posted:

gently caress, just give it out no strings attached. People need relief, I don't give a poo poo if a few trust fund shitheads get free money.

The strings are for the 99% going to businesses not to people, last time we gave companies a bunch of money they gave the CEOs a bonus and bought back stock then asked for more because they didn't have enough to not lay people off.

The corporate part of this should 100% be a different bill and some right. Citizens do not have the luxury to wait, nor do we want the millionaires to come out of this more ahead than they were before leaving a bigger wealth gap.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird with big dick posted:

I'm ordering grow lamps and weed seeds. I consider it a sound investment.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

bird with big dick posted:

Hell yeah

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

sweet thursday posted:

Interesting that Republicans are actively talking about letting half their base die of swamp lung so the other half of their base doesn't lose any net worth. Yet they still have 100% right wing support.

Stop the world I want to get off. Oh it did stop? I was bluffing I want to stay :smith:

According to new wave music, we can stop the world and melt :shrug:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sure, but you need to set aside money for cocaine and sun visors.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Re mask chat (and Ibuprofen chat)
The latest Science Vs podcast has a really interesting episode about the mask shortage as well as issues regarding cleaning and reusing.
Second half covers ibuprofen. Not had a chance to listen to that bit yet..
Highly recommended podcast in general. It covers current affairs/myths/misinformation etc. Seems well researched too

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-vs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

purple death ray posted:

They are taking it more seriously at least than the last few weeks

Let me put this another way. So far in the US (up to March 24) there's been 780 deaths attributed to COVID-19. 780 deaths in a population of 327 million is a tiny tiny number and it's honestly no surprise that a lot of people are still going "it's only as bad as the flu, I don't understand why people are panicking" and not really taking the social isolation protocols that seriously.

Here's the daily cumulative graph up to March 24:

That big steep curve at the end looks kind've scary but still, there's less than 1000 deaths in total over an entire month, that seems like a really low number. And if you're not familiar with exponential graphs it's be really really hard to extrapolate where it go next. Weren't we going to all this trouble of shutting down sports and businesses to flatten the graph? Won't it just start dropping off again soon?

If we redraw that line on a logarithmic graph it then looks like this:

Which again, if you're not familiar with graphs that doesn't look too scary. However, if we extend out that line for a bit we get this:

..... which tells us that if the current trend keeps going (and that logarithmic graph has been really consistent for two weeks now) the US will hit 10,000 COVID-19 deaths in roughly 9 days, and they should hit a rate of 1000 deaths per day a few days before that happens.

So yeah, if you have the option of isolating yourself and your family over the next week I would strongly recommend it because things might look very very different at the start of April.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cacafuego posted:

When I was a RN in the hospital, they didn't stock too many N95 masks because you almost never needed them. For this, nobody prepared properly and by the time they did, there weren't enough to go around as prices shot up.

My US Rep gave a call last night for healthcare workers and nobody has appropriate PPE. She was pretty adamant that the US/trump admin/CDC/etc hosed up big time and didn't prepare well.

This is really it. Airborne is such a logistical hassle (negative pressure rooms) and so few patients are normally on airborne isolations, so a given ICU might have 1 neg pressure room for ever 10-15 conventional rooms. And hospitals/warehouses just stock a little because they've never needed it in the past.

Infections that traditionally required airborne isolation precautions were tuberculosis, varicella (chicken pox), and measles--all of which are rare in US adults. So now that we have a pandemic that requires n95 masks at least some of the time, it's no surprise that we're wiped out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

A terrifying but good post.

I remember an article on how bad people are at intuiting non-linear growth. It was years ago in a business context but now feels so applicable.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Pages and pages ago somebody posted a link for a “build your own coronavirus epidemic“ model with customizable sliders.

Does anyone have that link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Pages and pages ago somebody posted a link for a “build your own coronavirus epidemic“ model with customizable sliders.

Does anyone have that link?

I’ll even bounty this - no ads or an avatar (your choice - I’ll give you a $5 GC).