Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i guess one thing i should have mentioned is that when they first launched the redesign that had weather prominently featured on the homescreen to take up space one thing it *did not* do was show the weather rather pushing it *would audibly tell you* the weather. similarly calendar did not show the correct date and pushing it didnt tell you the date either but rather recited your agenda

all of this being said the old card-based homescreen did in fact tell you the current weather at the bottom of the card stack and it never got the "cars have windows" attention that it has since the redesign. i think its because the old design used it just to fill in the homescreen when nothing else was there (ie clock date weather) and the new icon was entirely useless in every way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

while youre correct the whole story is dumber than you think

when they rolled out the redesign they got rid of the card-based home screen to make a carplay ripoff homescreen instead. the big problem with that was that their app grid was 4x3 and no one has 12 apps they use in the car so they put in a bunch of filler bullshit that was google assistant shortcuts that no one would ever use like reminders calendar and the one relevant to our discussion weather. the takeaway here is that weather in android auto begins life just to fill in a spot in a grid for promotional materials for cars showing android auto

a lesser problem with this redesign was the homescreen was that in practice it was never used (the user toggled between media and navigation screens only ever needing to visit the homescreen to switch out one of those for another) and so they eventually gave the user the ability to get rid of poo poo they didnt use on the homescreen which was of course all of these dumb assistant actions which included our beloved weather

on this update they added a toggle for "weather in the statusbar" which when enabled put the current temperature in the statusbar. pedants pointed out that the option was misnamed in that it didnt tell you the weather but only the temperature and so on the next update they changed it to actually show a conditions icon and thats the story of how a feature no one wanted and is entirely useless was born into the world

jfc. that’s an amazing story of incompetence.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LastInLine posted:

rather pushing it *would audibly tell you* the weather.

Lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

its not that amazing it happens thousands of times every day when product guys dont exist/dont know what they want/dont care

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

honestly given the obviously bad direction from above they ended up with one of their better products. its far nicer to use than carplay in pretty much every way and given the number of masters they had to serve (promote google assistant and make it look like carplay when an automaker shows a screenshot etc) they managed to pull something together that works well

thats not to say it isnt filled with googles lack of attention to detail and their 90% there attitude its still very much a google creation with all that means but its better than youd expect given the environment it mustve been created in

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

oh yeah to add a bit of context

at i/o last year they were just showing off this redesign but it was also shown off side by side with a "car mode" that the phone would go into. right now you can use android auto on the phone in cars that dont have screens or whatever. its a really lovely experience but im guessing its better than nothing if you have an old shitbox you need to listen to music in

anyway that mode was going to go away in lieu of the phones "car mode" that was forthcoming but in the meantime the app had to support both the old and new interfaces

well the app has been through i think four versions since then and google has completely forgot about car mode on the phone as its been almost a year and no car mode and no announcements and the app still supports two interfaces that are nothing alike

its a wonder it works at all

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

The Management posted:

remember wintel? well now it’s samroid.

A case of the samdroidhoids

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

honestly given the obviously bad direction from above they ended up with one of their better products. its far nicer to use than carplay in pretty much every way and given the number of masters they had to serve (promote google assistant and make it look like carplay when an automaker shows a screenshot etc) they managed to pull something together that works well

thats not to say it isnt filled with googles lack of attention to detail and their 90% there attitude its still very much a google creation with all that means but its better than youd expect given the environment it mustve been created in

it's amazing how incompetent apple is lol. both microsoft and google are now the undisputed leaders in user interface design

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

$1500 for that piece of poo poo, jesus christ

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lets see whats new over in anroid land

oh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

oh

gaming smartphone lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FMguru posted:

oh

With something called a "Red Magic e-sports magic box," you'll be able to

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

man those are truly ugly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXVEGBrsfw&t=108s

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that phone could only be more perfect if normal
hand holding blocked the air vents

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

roboto slab is a nice font

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FMguru posted:

oh

half red and half blue? I cannot imagine where they might have got that idea

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

video got taken down. what is it?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

It was a mirror! lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

just the red magic 5g phone from other angles

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
saw this ad for an app on a website. seemed very Android:

quote:

What could be more exciting than a girls moving in your screen?!😍😍 Kiss of war, Download

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

saw this ad for an app on a website. seemed very Android:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kiss-of-war/id1465860096

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
using a google app on a google phone :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao

Uthor posted:

RIP Dark Sky

https://blog.darksky.net/dark-sky-has-a-new-home/

Funnily, I learned this as a weather alert on my phone.

bull3964 posted:

Well, gently caress them too.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol Apple is such garbage

SpookyLizard posted:

god gently caress apple

i hope their factories stay closed for months

Skarsnik posted:

Well that's a big gently caress you then

FistEnergy posted:

dammit this sucks. stupid apple

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
all the big nerd sites (hn, ars, verge) are having huge fits in their comments sections about this

[shakes fist] CRAPPLE!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if i were Apple I would absolutely be using my huge pots of money to buy out popular android apps. it’s beautiful

*ostentatiously checks the weather in dark sky on my Apple iPhone*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

if this follows the lala trajectory, it'll come back to android as apple weather in 2025

and the web in 2030

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

people need an app for the weather?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hifi posted:

people need an app for the weather?

are you gonna be one of those "just look outside" people or one of those "just digest these 10 unanalyzed products from NOAA and predict your own weather" people?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

are you gonna be one of those "just look outside" people or one of those "just digest these 10 unanalyzed products from NOAA and predict your own weather" people?

I’ve got a weather app. it came with my phone. works for me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
apparently my weather app now tells me how many people have the coronavirus in my state

thanks, phone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
they're not going to can dark sky for anroid because they need all that sweet hyperlocal barometer data

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lmfao

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i use the free weather app made by my government

i guess the us doesn't have that? lol what a shithole

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

they're not going to can dark sky for anroid because they need all that sweet hyperlocal barometer data

they already have. they removed it from the app store today and are shutting it off in june.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Perplx posted:

i use the free weather app made by my government

i guess the us doesn't have that? lol what a shithole

weather.gov exists

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

weather.gov exists

yeah and it sucks rear end

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

I’ve got a weather app. it came with my phone. works for me

thats weird because i thought you had an apple phone and apple just bought a company that knows how to make weather predictions because the app that comes with their phone doesnt work for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

apple making yahoo a fully useless company one app at a time