Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

analphabetic posted:

Yeah, it just seems bizarre that they'll say to the public "theres a potentially deadly virus spreading around the country, so dont go anywhere" and also "but just continue to travel to work every day as normal"

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday night that the public “must stay at home” unless they work in a key sector or industry."

They have to say the former to make it look like they're doing something, but they say the latter because they don't actually care, and want people to keep working until they die. And the contradiction can be blamed on personal responsibility.

This is a microcosm of capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Air traffic doesn't affect air quality, for the same reason it produces more CO2 - planes spend most of their time high up in the air where their emissions never interact with the ground. The improvement is just down to less driving around, especially with lorries - not kicking out brake dust or NOX to choke out lungs with.

The woodland elves at the bottom of my garden tell me the sunny days are a reward for finally tackling climate change.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hosed up if true.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

analphabetic posted:

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday night that the public “must stay at home” unless they work in a key sector or industry."

He should have said that but made zero mention of key sectors or industries. They even had a graphic posted saying that only key workers could continue going to work then swapped it for one saying you could go to work as long as it was "absolutely essential". Of course they didn't spell out who decided that so it was wide open to interpretation and abuse.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

They have to say the former to make it look like they're doing something, but they say the latter because they don't actually care, and want people to keep working until they die. And the contradiction can be blamed on personal responsibility.

This is a microcosm of capitalism.

Yeah, I get it. Just wanted to write out what was in my head tbh. It's not even that I'm worried for myself, I dont have to go out, but I'm sitting at home right now typing this, unsure as to whether I've actually got it or not. This is going to end so badly isnt it?

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009

Lungboy posted:

He should have said that but made zero mention of key sectors or industries. They even had a graphic posted saying that only key workers could continue going to work then swapped it for one saying you could go to work as long as it was "absolutely essential". Of course they didn't spell out who decided that so it was wide open to interpretation and abuse.

That's actually a quote from here

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/next-offers-staff-20-bonus-115301585.html

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Yeah but they were interpreting what he said rather than quoting him. This is the problem* with the Government's handling of this, it's so loving vague.

*some would say intention.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

OwlFancier posted:

Money-Coutts isn't it? As in, money, and literally the family that runs the bank the queen uses.
I assume this is who The Young Ones were parodying, then?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You can leave to go to work, go for a walk, and go to the shops, but you can't do mass gatherings or house parties or anything.

Weren't they later shown to be vastly overegging the effects of nuclear winter and long term radioactivity?

Like the first half is probably true, we'd be totally hosed infrastructure wise and most of the population would die, but the "and no crops would grow for the next few years because of the dust, and even ten years later there's no ozone layer because the writer's room said so" is a lot more :crossarms:

No fertiliser, no pesticides, no tractors. The very best-case scenario (which relied on us being able to somehow make enough hand/horse-drawn ploughs to get back to a medieval level of efficiency) had us producing food for about ten million people but with no way to distribute it efficiently it'd probable be able to sustain less than half that, many of whom would then die horribly because vegetables (especially leafy greens) would take up the radioisotopes of iodine in the fallout. That would only last a year (by definition anything "hot" enough to be dangerous in the short term has a short half-life so is safe more quickly), but there'd still be a much higher incidence of leukemia etc for at least 20 years. People would be dying of other poo poo quick enough for it not even to be noticeable, though.

Nuclear winter is still disputed to this day and would be heavily dependent on a lot of variables (even down to the amount of rain in the areas hit), and while the "years without sun" is probably an overstatement but reflects a fairly mainstream scientific view of the time.

The ozone layer thing was a (possibly willful) misinterpretation of the effects of high-altitude bursts to create EMP (as demonstrated at the beginning), which would be strongly ozone-depleting in the local area but only a few warheads would be used so really wouldn't be a factor - however it was just at the beginning of understanding of the damage we'd done to the ozone layer so they probably threw it in just to make a point that nukes aren't the only way we could destroy the earth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GazChap posted:

I assume this is who The Young Ones were parodying, then?

I think the specific money-coutts who writes for the papers is actually quite young, but doubtless the name has come up before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the thing going around that Lombardy was experiencing cases of 'strange pneumonia' before the outbreak in Wuhan?

Is it a hoax, Chinese state propaganda, or just a case of "virus spread there before being symptomatic, blame fashion week"?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do apparently the government have bought 3.5m home tests for people

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jose posted:

If they're actually getting these out then that's great, my sister and brother in law quite likely have it and they're at risk if their symptoms get worse, so if they can confirm that they've taken their hit and are on the mend then it would be great for peace of mind.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jose posted:

they'd had them pre-ordered for a while, expect nothing but hot air for months

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

He should have said that but made zero mention of key sectors or industries.

To be honest I'm not sure how you'd do this without leaving a billion loopholes or unintentionally breaking something. Like what if a widget factory is forced to shutdown as it's not obviously a 'key industry', then a month later we find out that those widgets were part of the supply chain to make ventilators or fix ambulances?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If they're actually getting these out then that's great, my sister and brother in law quite likely have it and they're at risk if their symptoms get worse, so if they can confirm that they've taken their hit and are on the mend then it would be great for peace of mind.

Same. Part of me's thinking there's no way what I had wasn't that but then I see how many people have tested negative for it elsewhere and a bit of me thinks there must be stuff out there that looks like Corona but isn't, so it'd be great to know.

Also, whether or not I'm a plague vector for other people or not, cos poo poo I don't want that on my conscience and I'll happily isolate a bit more if so

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

:crnasickos:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I think the specific money-coutts who writes for the papers is actually quite young, but doubtless the name has come up before.

"Crispin Money-Coutts, 9th Baron Latymer" "He is a retired International Private Banker. He has three children: journalist and novelist[3][4] Sophia;[5][6] celebrity agent Rosie; and the British magician Drummond Money-Coutts"

Wikipedia delivers again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they'd had them pre-ordered for a while, expect nothing but hot air for months

Yeah it's public health England who announced that once they've been validated they'll be available for sale in shops or delivered by Amazon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

"Crispin Money-Coutts, 9th Baron Latymer" "He is a retired International Private Banker. He has three children: journalist and novelist[3][4] Sophia;[5][6] celebrity agent Rosie; and the British magician Drummond Money-Coutts"

Wikipedia delivers again.
An entire family who are masters in distraction and misdirection.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

to clarify the home tests situation as there seems to be deliberate misinformation on this front. there is not a current plan for the government to supply tests to every house in the next few days. as of this morning the government are accepting applications for the commercial sale of tests: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-for-coronavirus-covid-19-test-kits

so any claims of next week is about the earliest a commercial test is legally going to be on the market, which means nothing on its accuracy and there is no way they'll have the number of kits necessary to catch the initial demand (and i doubt these will be anything but antigen tests to find if you're currently infected)

the 3.5m test kits ordered by the government are headline news for when antibody tests become available which check if you've ever had the infection. that they've only pre-ordered 3.5m against the UK population of... more than 3.5m should tell you this isn't going to be an overnight issue. the current plan is to test key workers (healthcare) who are at home symptomatic or are living with people who are - this is to reduce the time they are away and capable of helping out other people. more info: https://www.gov.scot/news/covid-19-testing-to-get-key-workers-back-to-work/

e: also there's new info on production of hand sanitiser for an idea of how slow to react they currently are: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/producing-hand-sanitiser-and-gel-for-coronavirus-covid-19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

A fair few of the google images for them is them hanging out with royals.

Such a down-to-earth family.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also FRG would actually have been *less* hosed than the British Isles because the Soviets had a purely counter-force (targeting concentrations of armour and known nuclear weapons sites only) rather than a combined counter-force and counter-value (large logistical centres and deliberate targeting of civilian populations) strategy planned for them. They were of the opinion that FRG would surrender quickly once the nukes started flying and wanted to minimise the amount of fallout dropping on them in the prevailing winds.

I was factoring in the tactical nukes that the Soviets would have been piling on in Germany within about 5 minutes of war and before escalation to strategic strikes, tbh. Being the actual battleground for WW3 was still not going to be A Good Time for them.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Nukechat is bringing down the thread's otherwise euphoric mood

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Ignore, sorry.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Maybe I should switch the Goon Game (on pause right now because i still have an intermittent mild fever etc) to Twilight 2000 ;p

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Putting in an order with ASDA is testing my patience right now. Started the order then got put in a queue. An hour later I could finish my order but now when I try and pay the card check is timing out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No fertiliser, no pesticides, no tractors. The very best-case scenario (which relied on us being able to somehow make enough hand/horse-drawn ploughs to get back to a medieval level of efficiency) had us producing food for about ten million people but with no way to distribute it efficiently it'd probable be able to sustain less than half that, many of whom would then die horribly because vegetables (especially leafy greens) would take up the radioisotopes of iodine in the fallout. That would only last a year (by definition anything "hot" enough to be dangerous in the short term has a short half-life so is safe more quickly), but there'd still be a much higher incidence of leukemia etc for at least 20 years. People would be dying of other poo poo quick enough for it not even to be noticeable, though.
That sounds like the sort of thing that'd self-correct pretty rapidly. The first 18 months would be utter nightmare poo poo, but a couple decades on it'd be no more or less poo poo than most of human history, rather than a simultaneously sunless and UV blighted hellscape.

It'd be pretty funny if they remade it all the same except the end, where it's a bunch of people living a fairly normal manorial existence farming turnips, but with ruins of skyscrapers in the background. One turns to the other and says "so, same again in 800 years?" Cut to credits.

Our current path where Europe has forgotten how to do crop rotation doesn't look great for the future either though. How many harvests have we got left?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is there a good takedown of that FT article where they recklessly float the idea that 50% of the population may already have (had) the Roni, based on a study that says nothing of the sort?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

pumpinglemma posted some strong criticism yesterday about the study itself (I think) but has since deleted it, not sure why. Also if you read this pumping duckmaster quoted one of the posts you deleted so you may wanna pm them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Wachter posted:

Uhhh someone unpack this for me here. You have to queue to fill out an online form?
yeah, same principle as queuing to fill an online form on ticketmaster. demand management so they’re not overwhelmed

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Drummond is alright, considering. Does work for homeless charities and helped fund a school in Kenya with another magician.

Hahaha, amazing.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 25, 2020

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Is there a good takedown of that FT article where they recklessly float the idea that 50% of the population may already have (had) the Roni, based on a study that says nothing of the sort?

If 50% of the population had it longer ago than the incubation period, either the mortality rate is down in the hundredth of a percent, or someone is hiding mass graves.

The only way round that is to posit two distinct strains, where the first provides immunity to the second.

Which would be pretty unlikely to happen by random chance. If that turns out to be the case, I can see a lot of speculation about a engineered bioweapon.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

World's #1 most magician-looking magician

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

Drummond is alright, considering. Does work for homeless charities and helped fund a school in Kenya with another magician.
Yeah, but he's the only one who uses his powers of illusion for entertainment, whereas international private banking, journalism, and celebrity management use it for bad.

radmonger posted:

If 50% of the population had it longer ago than the incubation period, either the mortality rate is down in the hundredth of a percent, or someone is hiding mass graves.

The only way round that is to posit two distinct strains, where the first provides immunity to the second.

Which would be pretty unlikely to happen by random chance. If that turns out to be the case, I can see a lot of speculation about a engineered bioweapon.
Could be that the supposed Italian strain is a lot worse than the Chinese strain, but that doesn't fit the numbers either.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Camrath have you been doing consulting work for the finnish government

https://twitter.com/Fiffenaattori/status/1242144391667613703

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is anyone else SUPER bugged by how quickly and aggressively people have started policing even perfectly sensible, legal actions?

I worry in the long term that there are way more people who care most about sticking to the letter of the law, than they do about actually making sure they're doing the right thing.

Also the loving comical levels some people are going to.

No, you don't need to disinfect your loving bins before and after you take them out. They're BINS. They're covered in germs ANYWAY. Wash your drat hands. Don't you NORMALLY wash your hands after you take the bins out?!

No, you don't need to disinfect your loving letterbox. It's not like you regularly cough on or lick your letterbox, is it?

It's good in the short term to see people going a bit above and beyond, but it really does worry me about how we as a country respond to fascists making fascist laws about who can go out, who can associate with people, whose shops' windows you have to kick in, what books you have to burn...

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Camrath have you been doing consulting work for the finnish government

https://twitter.com/Fiffenaattori/status/1242144391667613703

Never really did the whole fur suit thing- my niche was body painting (it’s how I met my wife; first time we met in the flesh I painted her mostly nude body. Was such a gentleman she was then convinced I was gay for months after..). She used to make fursuits though, and tbh the profit margin on those things is absolutely insane. There are worse cottage industries to take part in during quarantine.

If one can swallow one’s pride enough, that is.

We still have several of her suits (plus one she made for me that I wore like twice) in storage that we mean to sell. Trouble is to sell to furries means interacting with the community, and we’re both truly soured on it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently these 3.5m tests are going out to the public this week (!) and produce results in 10-15 minutes(!!!).

Where the gently caress have these magical tests popped out of nowhere from? I heard that it was a big deal that China were getting tests that only took 45 minutes!