Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SunAndSpring posted:

Sure wish more people would recruit for games during this crisis, I'm so bored.

I wanted to do one, but I'm waiting for Cortex Prime to get its print candidate out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm playing in two roll20 games and my friends roped me into running a third one.

It's gonna be a L5R game inspired by Makai Tensho.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ilor posted:

There are two parallel problems here. First, you are absolutely correct that many of the follow-on hacks do a terrible job of explaining how they should be run. I'd count Blades as "decent," but it has a host of other glaring issues (like leaving a lot of filling in the world's detail up to the GM and players without explicitly telling them where or how). But second, a whole lot of people just don't loving read. You could have no experience with these kinds of games, pick up the book for BitD, and run a pretty sweet game if you followed the actual direction of how to play the game. But people don't seem to want to do that, and as a result most of the criticisms stem form fundamental misunderstandings of how the game actually works - not because it's not explained, but because it wasn't read or comprehended. Because people bring in their preconceived notions of what it means to "run a game" and never realize that it's not that.

I think I get how the 4E stans feel.

I bounced real hard off AW a couple times, and then I actually read the whole book and now it's one of my favorites to run.

Also, I have been playing ttrpgs since 1988. The Blades game I finished a couple months ago was in the top 5 games I have ever played in, and it was run by a schoolteacher who'd not previously played, let alone run, a ttrpg who learned it entirely out of the book without any help.

e: This is exactly backwards from the 4th ed thing though - That's people who couldn't handle a small incremental change to what they knew refusing to accept that it's very similar. This is people encountering something that shares almost nothing in common with what they know and insisting that it's close enough that they don't really need to learn it.

They're exactly the same in that I also bounced off 4th ed real hard a couple times before settling down and reading the book.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 25, 2020

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SunAndSpring posted:

I know PbtA is not your thing to run, but I'm probably going to run a viking-themed one-shot of Apocalypse World over Discord soon. If you want to jump in on that you're certainly welcome.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I bounced real hard off AW a couple times, and then I actually read the whole book and now it's one of my favorites to run.
It took me a while to warm up to it, for sure. Fellow TG goon Zorak thankfully persisted, and once I actually read the book the light went on and I was hooked. It's far and away my favorite game to introduce RPGs to people who are brand new to the concept.

Also, I have been playing ttrpgs since 1988. The Blades game I finished a couple months ago was in the top 5 games I have ever played in, and it was run by a schoolteacher who'd not previously played, let alone run, a ttrpg who learned it entirely out of the book without any help.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your schoolteacher friend was probably helped by the fact that he or she was coming to it fresh without any preconceptions to get in the way.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ilor posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your schoolteacher friend was probably helped by the fact that he or she was coming to it fresh without any preconceptions to get in the way.

That was the point I was trying to make, yeah. She's also one of those people that's extremely good at dividing their attention between others while keeping those others focused on them.

And yeah, pbta games are my go-to for brand new players too. The concept of the conversation makes for extremely natural mutual storytelling, as does the fiction-first "describe what your character's dong and then check to see if a rule activates" nature of the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I spent the whole day happy as a pig in mud working on stuff for my VtR and OSE games. Got all the melee weapons for B/X rewritten for Forgotten Realms compatibility now!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Arivia posted:

I spent the whole day happy as a pig in mud working on stuff for my VtR and OSE games. Got all the melee weapons for B/X rewritten for Forgotten Realms compatibility now!

Dude, solid. I need to use this time to, uh, READ some of the books on my shelf. OSE and Black Hack are high on the list.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Dude, solid. I need to use this time to, uh, READ some of the books on my shelf. OSE and Black Hack are high on the list.

OSE is real real good. Not gonzo, just classic old school goodness. With the Advanced Genre books, it’s a great fit for what I want - B/X with 1e added in to run basically 1e FR.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SunAndSpring posted:

After April 15th, I might playtest my urban fantasy trans superhero game, The Lost.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm in the middle of a game design contest, but I have been trying to talk my friends into some online dragoning because we can't meet up. The response has been that they'd play D&D 3.5 because they don't want to learn a new system if we're playing online.

Makes me want to scream.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Moar free deals I dug up from Reddit. :toot:

All of Daring Entertainment's 90 titles are FREE. Mostly Supers, Zombies and Apocalypse stuff from a cursory review.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2604/Daring-Entertainment

Amazing Tales RPG for kids is also FREE

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307521/Amazing-Tales-Quickstart

Subway Runners, a Forged in the Dark RPG, is FREE

Scroll all the way down. https://gemroomgames.itch.io/subwayrunners

quote:

Life is tough for the cash-strapped in Pociopolis. Ever since the secret to immortality was discovered, nobody retires anymore! With all the steady jobs taken and no sign of any new ones opening up, there’s only one sure way to make some quick cash: sign up as a Subway Runner and work for the Metro Authority to hunt monsters and repair subway lines below the city.

SUBWAY RUNNERS is a Forged in the Dark game of gig economy adventures designed from the ground up to be played online by folks who are responsibly practicing social isolation. It uses online tools to quickly create random characters, gigs, and adventure details so players can get the ball rolling quickly. Get a character, a gig, and everything else you need in seconds and start playing!

Character generator: https://perchance.org/subwayrunners

Gig generator: https://perchance.org/subwayrunnersgig

Everything Else generator: https://perchance.org/runsubwayrunners

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ilor posted:

I know PbtA is not your thing to run, but I'm probably going to run a viking-themed one-shot of Apocalypse World over Discord soon. If you want to jump in on that you're certainly welcome.

I ain't them but that sounds extremely my poo poo and I am so god drat down if you want another player.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Beast Pussy posted:

Are there any good RPGs focused on city building? With my group split up, I was thinking about trying to focus on them building up the town around their castle. Anything with rules for trading and conflict with other societies would be cool.

Several

quote:

D&D
Birthright (AD&D)
Stronghold Builder’s Guidebook (3.5 D&D)
Dragon 395 (4ed D&D) – strongholds and upgrades
Adventurer’s Vault 2; Dragon 383 – lair magic items
Dragon 412 (4ed D&D) – boats
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium – hireling rules
Admiral o' the High Seas (4ed D&D; Pathfinder) aka Seas of Zeitgeist – building ships, naval combat

OSR/D&D related
Ultimate Campaign (Pathfinder) – has updated Kingmaker rules
Hell’s Rebels Campaign (Pathfinder) – build a rebellion
Way of the Wicked Book 2 (Pathfinder) – Henchmen management rules
Way of the Wicked Book 6-7 (Pathfinder) – Kingdom management rules
Adventurer Conqueror King - domain management
The Nightmares Underneath - establishing ties to and influence over local businesses and organizations

Sine Nomine (goon Kevin Crawford)
An Echo Resounding
Godbound
Stars Without Number
Other Dust
Silent Legions

HarnMaster
HarnManor – manage noble estate, growing motherfucking turnips
Pilot’s Almanac – sailing ships, trading cargo

White Wolf
Gilded Cage (V:tM)
Damnation City (V:tR)
Exalted 2e Storyteller's Companion – Mandate of Heaven rules.
Exalted 2e Masters of Jade

Traveller (Mongoose)
Traveller: Core – build planets
Merchant Prince - trading companies
Dynasty – manage dynasties over generations
Mercenary – military bases.

GURPS
GURPS Boardroom and Curia
GURPS Low-Tech Companions 1-3
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Taverns
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Guilds
GURPS City Stats

Other
Sagas of the Icelanders - Icelandic Homestead Management minigame
Mutant: Year Zero
Conspiracy X
Blades in the Dark
Reign
Ars Magica
Pendragon
Gods and Monsters (Fate)
Mystic Empyrean
Apocalypse World - hardholder has to manage their settlement, the hocus has to manage their cult, the chopper manages their gang.
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins (goon)
Weapons of the Gods Companion
Green Law of Varkith (Dungeon World) – build guild
Spellbound Kingdoms
Savage Worlds Super Hero Companion – build superhero bases
Champions (all versions) – build superhero bases
Rogue Trader: Stars of Inequity – build planets and manage colonies
A Song of Ice and Fire (Green Ronin) – run game of thrones house and holdings
Dune: Chronicle of the Imperium – manage a House Minor
Underground – changing society to be more or less crime-ridden rules

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Regarding the reading thing. This post made me think a lot about my general hang ups with PbtA/FitD (again) and they come down to:

a) the conversational nature of play is at risk of breaking down if some players are more charismatic than others. If there is someone who regularly wins conversations, that will just carry over to the game. A lot of the mechanics questions I’m asking because there are roughly three Charisma Supermen in local gaming, one of whom is a power gamer and the other a tactician (the third I have only ever known to GM) Without one of them, a game probably won’t even get off the ground.

b) the basis of play on a conversation between the real persons amplifies the risk of stuff in the game bleeding over to OOC relationships exponentially.

c) the assumption that the GM will never have a problem coming up with creative responses at the drop of a hat.

None of the books, to my knowledge, deal with any of these.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

hyphz posted:

Regarding the reading thing. This post made me think a lot about my general hang ups with PbtA/FitD (again) and they come down to:

a) the conversational nature of play is at risk of breaking down if some players are more charismatic than others. If there is someone who regularly wins conversations, that will just carry over to the game. A lot of the mechanics questions I’m asking because there are roughly three Charisma Supermen in local gaming, one of whom is a power gamer and the other a tactician (the third I have only ever known to GM) Without one of them, a game probably won’t even get off the ground.

b) the basis of play on a conversation between the real persons amplifies the risk of stuff in the game bleeding over to OOC relationships exponentially.

c) the assumption that the GM will never have a problem coming up with creative responses at the drop of a hat.

None of the books, to my knowledge, deal with any of these.

I think A is true about most games, though it is certainly an issue, mostly managed by having a good gm that can help quiet people speak and make the louder ones take their turn instead of jumping all over the place.

B is certainly true, and a lot of earlier PBTA games weren't good about that, but I think the industry is getting better about assuming and writing in safety tools- mechanics or just best practices to manage that kind of emotional bleedover. I can link you to a compilation of some of the common tools, if you'd like, I find they really help with that sort of thing in my games, PBTA and not?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

hyphz posted:

If there is someone who regularly wins conversations, that will just carry over to the game.

...how do you "win" a conversation?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SunAndSpring posted:

I've played Blades and Spire, and have read a few of the others. I don't like the genre emulation so much because it's very rote and feels like I'm painting by the numbers. It was especially prevalent in Masks when I read it, since it's just so glaringly obvious where each playbook is cribbing from that it becomes boring. There's so little room to make a playbook your own, and I just find that baffling to do in a story game. You figure you'd want something more classless and less "I AM THE BURGER FLIPPER, I HAVE THE MOVE "GRILL THE HAMBURGER" BY DEFAULT AND MAY GAIN ONE OF FIVE TOTAL MOVES WHEN I HIT MY EXPERIENCE LIMIT".

Also they all seem way too loving risk-free, which is just dull. Blades and Spire both had the problem for me running it where nothing I could do mattered because the nature of the game necessitated teamwork and when everyone does the logical thing and specs towards the area their playbook wants them to excel in, no amount of fiddling with the consequence level or whatever mattered. They'd always wind up rolling 5-6 on their handful of dice and thus do everything with little-to-no consequences for it, which negates the whole promise of the system in that sometimes the characters have to take a blow themselves in order to deal a blow to their foes. The goofy FFG Star Wars game with the funny dice does this better since at least there's always a chance of the bad luck symbols popping up on a roll and outnumbering your good luck symbols on the dice so that something exciting like a weapon jamming after a great shot or an alarm being tripped after popping open a safe; once you start tossing 4+ dice at a problem in a PBTA game, the situation is solved already, especially in the mainline ones where the GM doesn't determine the level of effect that a particular action has.

I'm really tired from other stuff so a full response is gonna wait a bit, but how were the players getting that many dice without bleeding stress? If you go crazy hog-wild you could have 3 in something, so everything else has to be expensive upgrades later or outside help. How was this happening routinely across all skills? Unless I'm blanking RAW the only way to get 4 dice at character creation is at least someone spending stress. And that's a finite resource that characters need for all sorts of things so I don't understand how this could happen if you were playing the game as designed.

Also, I asked you about PbtA games and the two you cited (which are great and I love them) aren't really PbtA. Like, not doing some No True Scotsman poo poo, they, while heavily inspired by AW, are firmly doing their own things with that idea by now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zurui posted:

...how do you "win" a conversation?

browbeating the other people into giving up rather than letting the conversation turn into a fight/a therapy session focused on you/adopting your groundrules of a formal debate

Or sometimes, just being charismatic so that two of the other people in the group automatically agree with you, so the person who disagrees feels outnumbered and doesn't want to make a fuss

Personality conflicts can ruin a group dynamic and they're not always due to someone being an rear end in a top hat like in the first case. Formal game rules or informal table rules that ensure everyone has: a turn to speak, an opportunity to be in the spotlight for a moment, and the authority to make a key decision on behalf of the group, can all help... and freeform games run in away that doesn't provide those things can wind up excluding or shutting down a player inadvertently because of imbalanced personality types at the table.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Huh. Not that my groups haven't had any personality conflicts but we've never run into any of that sort of thing, fortunately. Most of our conflicts have centered around disproportionate player skill/narrative power, issues that PbtA games generally don't force us to deal with.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Actually, hell, i'll just link it for the thread in general because it's a useful resource.

The support tools compilation is designed for dealing with conflicts or problems during your game- upsetting material coming up, too much bleed between in character and out of character, players getting genuinely upset at each other, and that sort of thing. I find by using some of these I have a much easier time exploring the stuff I want to in games, because I can trust myself and my fellow players to take care of each other, and resolve conflicts well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T-4diHGaxlOy-N76rYmqYvLXkSV-dp_L3lSMZvb8Qqg/edit

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

browbeating the other people into giving up rather than letting the conversation turn into a fight/a therapy session focused on you/adopting your groundrules of a formal debate

Or sometimes, just being charismatic so that two of the other people in the group automatically agree with you, so the person who disagrees feels outnumbered and doesn't want to make a fuss

You'll also find all of these people playing D&D. Or Monopoly. Or Uno. They aren't playing the game that's on the table, and nothing you could write into a rulebook would stop them from being pricks.

e: Likewise, nothing in a rulebook's gonna stop two players sucking up to a third player at the expense of a fourth, or make sure that the one player who's just too meek to ever disagree with anything gets to disagree.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 25, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
so, uh, the tabletop group I've been in every wednesday for 20-odd years can't meet anymore on account of the COVID-19 lockdown.

Any good advice for playing on Discord? I'm primarily looking for a dice bot that can be renamed and handle d100s and other TRPG formats.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 25, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tias posted:

so, uh, the tabletop group I've been in every wednesday for 20-odd years can't meet anymore on account of the COVID-19 lockdown.

Any good advice for playing on Discord? I'm primarily looking for a dice bot that can be renamed and handle d100s and other TRPG formats.

I've found Sidekick to be pretty good: https://github.com/ArtemGr/Sidekick

However, we tend to use Discord only for voice and organising/OOC chat and otherwise use roll20 for dice because several games have roll20 character sheets with dice macros.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah, while you could play entirely through discord especially if you all will be playing off your existing character sheets there's something a little more fun about Roll20. Getting to see the dice roll across the screen(who actually turns that off?) plus the ability to doodle on the board is great.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'd definitely advise roll20 if you use maps or boards at all. Discord with a dicebot is simpler for mapless play, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We're going to give FATE a shot via discord tomorrow. None of us have played the system and I'm running it, what should I know?

Going with Atomic Robo if that makes a difference

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tias posted:

Your other option is to just trust people to roll their own dice at home and not lie about the results.

Like, I get there's a certain something about dice rolling in the open, but for online play I generally just assume everyone's honest and let them do their own thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ilor posted:

Yeah, as near as I can figure any system which involves rolling one or more dice is "OSR" to drrockso. I don't even know what he means by the term anymore.
OSR was originally about making retroclones as a platform for people to publish adventure modules and supplements for their favourite edition of D&D. It's come quite a ways since then; there are retroclones of non-D&D games, and more importantly, games that have very different rules from D&D but market themselves to the OSR crowd. Mothership is absolutely one of those games, and it isn't the first to use a simple percentile system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Len posted:

We're going to give FATE a shot via discord tomorrow. None of us have played the system and I'm running it, what should I know?

Use Sidekick (linked above). It has actual FATE dice support.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I'd definitely advise roll20 if you use maps or boards at all. Discord with a dicebot is simpler for mapless play, though.

Even for mapless games, I prefer roll20 whenever there are character sheets because it makes for a more convenient place to put all the resources rather than a shared Gdrive or just uploading it to Discord and pinning it. You also get a shared whiteboard if you need it.

Len posted:

I would really recommend you only play with three aspects (High Concept, Trouble, and a free or relationship aspect) for your first few games just because coming up with five good aspects is a chore if you don't already know the system and the tone of whatever game you're running very well.

Use a dice bot with Fuge die support, like Arivia said.

I would actually recommend using Shadow of the Century instead of Atomic Robo (unless your players want the Atomic Robo IP) as it has the newest version of the Mode concept that started in Atomic Robo, with an existing list of Modes that each have pre-defined skills and stunts instead of requiring you to make those up. In general, I would say Shadow of the Century replaces Atomic Robo as the "default" modern-world Fate game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love Roll20. I never used to fiddle with portraits and stuff much until I used it for Fantasy Norwegian Mining Town vs. The Death Robots, but it's surprisingly fun to try to make things look nicer for the players and it can be very helpful to have the interactive character sheets and things people have uploaded.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Hey everybody, I remember folks talking about a game with a really good cult/mythos generator a little while back and I'm blanking hard on the name. I've got a buddy who wants to run some Lovecraftian stuff, and I'm trying to convince him to roll with something other than the traditional pantheon of gribblies. Also is the actual system it's attached to any good? What's everybody's pick for roaring 20s era action-horror other than OG Call of Cthulhu?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I haven't played it but if I remember right from people talking about it, isn't that Silent Legions?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

You'll also find all of these people playing D&D. Or Monopoly. Or Uno. They aren't playing the game that's on the table, and nothing you could write into a rulebook would stop them from being pricks.

e: Likewise, nothing in a rulebook's gonna stop two players sucking up to a third player at the expense of a fourth, or make sure that the one player who's just too meek to ever disagree with anything gets to disagree.

This is a false binary. It's not like they're instantly going to invert your personality, but if rules didn't shape these interactions, there'd be no reason to even have rules for narrative-first games.

Also, the kind of behaviors that are naturally encouraged or blocked attract or repel certain players from certain games, which adds an extra layer of game -> experience influence even without affecting any one person directly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I haven't played it but if I remember right from people talking about it, isn't that Silent Legions?

Correct. So it's a Kevin Crawford/Sine Nomine game, which means it's a very particular thing: it's a sandbox game using Basic/Expert D&D as a base. Now, it's a very well done example of that, but it may not be what people are looking for for their Cthulhu games.

The thing to realize is that Kevin Crawford's games are all about building your own worlds and sandboxes. He gives you random tables aplenty and tools and all sorts of things to do that, and he offers a lot of advice about converting/remixing/changing things up as you'd like (for example there's a luchadores against Cthulhu example campaign in Silent Legions). It's very well done. But it may not be the mechanical framework you want, and it may not be quite the right timeframe either (Silent Legions is modern, but you could change that). It also may not be the right playstyle - if Lovecraftian horror is specifically scripted stories to you, the Crawford sandbox model might not be as fun.

Here's my honest advice. Buy Silent Legions: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145769/Silent-Legions no matter what; you can use the generative tables and lots of the advice, scene framing and so on no matter what setting. Read it through. Maybe you will like the rules, maybe you or your GM will want to add sci-fi stuff from Stars Without Number or classic old-school D&D. If you do like it, you can also add in Realms of Crawling Chaos (same base system) for a lot more Cthulhu Mythos stuff: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/87813/Realms-of-Crawling-Chaos-Labyrinth-Lord

If you don't like it, you can still use the tables with Call of Cthulhu or whatever. In that case, I would recommend looking at the various GUMSHOE/Pelgrane horror games. One of them (Trail of Cthulhu) is specifically for Cthulhu Mythos games https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/55567/Trail-of-Cthulhu?cPath=561_8982; Fear Itself is a more generic horror game https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197312/Fear-Itself-2nd-Edition?src=hottest_filtered; and the Esoterrorists is about investigators versus terrorists https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123154/The-Esoterrorists-2nd-Edition?cPath=561_9314

I recommend GUMSHOE in particular because it's far and away the best ruleset for investigative games; it's the kind of system that rocked design so hard the most recent version of Call of Cthulhu took a look of cues from it to spruce up its own rules. That's your expanded world and your expanded systems right there; I hope you find what's right for you, and have fun with it!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Zurui posted:

Huh. Not that my groups haven't had any personality conflicts but we've never run into any of that sort of thing, fortunately. Most of our conflicts have centered around disproportionate player skill/narrative power, issues that PbtA games generally don't force us to deal with.

Really? I can see a big problem if one of the players is better at storytelling than the GM.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Arivia posted:

Correct. So it's a Kevin Crawford/Sine Nomine game, which means it's a very particular thing: it's a sandbox game using Basic/Expert D&D as a base. Now, it's a very well done example of that, but it may not be what people are looking for for their Cthulhu games.

The thing to realize is that Kevin Crawford's games are all about building your own worlds and sandboxes. He gives you random tables aplenty and tools and all sorts of things to do that, and he offers a lot of advice about converting/remixing/changing things up as you'd like (for example there's a luchadores against Cthulhu example campaign in Silent Legions). It's very well done. But it may not be the mechanical framework you want, and it may not be quite the right timeframe either (Silent Legions is modern, but you could change that). It also may not be the right playstyle - if Lovecraftian horror is specifically scripted stories to you, the Crawford sandbox model might not be as fun.

Here's my honest advice. Buy Silent Legions: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145769/Silent-Legions no matter what; you can use the generative tables and lots of the advice, scene framing and so on no matter what setting. Read it through. Maybe you will like the rules, maybe you or your GM will want to add sci-fi stuff from Stars Without Number or classic old-school D&D. If you do like it, you can also add in Realms of Crawling Chaos (same base system) for a lot more Cthulhu Mythos stuff: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/87813/Realms-of-Crawling-Chaos-Labyrinth-Lord

If you don't like it, you can still use the tables with Call of Cthulhu or whatever. In that case, I would recommend looking at the various GUMSHOE/Pelgrane horror games. One of them (Trail of Cthulhu) is specifically for Cthulhu Mythos games https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/55567/Trail-of-Cthulhu?cPath=561_8982; Fear Itself is a more generic horror game https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197312/Fear-Itself-2nd-Edition?src=hottest_filtered; and the Esoterrorists is about investigators versus terrorists https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123154/The-Esoterrorists-2nd-Edition?cPath=561_9314

I recommend GUMSHOE in particular because it's far and away the best ruleset for investigative games; it's the kind of system that rocked design so hard the most recent version of Call of Cthulhu took a look of cues from it to spruce up its own rules. That's your expanded world and your expanded systems right there; I hope you find what's right for you, and have fun with it!

Thanks a lot for the insight! It's been a pretty long time since I've played in something like this, so I figure I should check out some of the new hotness.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

Really? I can see a big problem if one of the players is better at storytelling than the GM.

Having more good storytellers makes it better, not worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Andrast posted:

Having more good storytellers makes it better, not worse

Provided they're also happy with coming up with obstacles for themselves and things don't become too dependent on them.

I mean, I picked the term "Charisma Supermen" because the people involved aren't assholes at all, they're the kind of energetic person who's great to be around, and that's exactly why they're so restrictive. If a game doesn't meet with their approval, it's probably doomed, because it either won't recruit or will be doomed if they leave.