Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

People want new shiny. That's kind of the extent of it. It's probably true of any game that things just out reach are always very tantalizing.

I'm trying not to time travel but I won't lie "today in animal crossing" is a bit unexciting for me. Islander #3 moved in, I don't appear to have any NPC guests, and my next loan is big enough I don't really want to grind too hard for it. Tomorrow might be similar since resident services will close so I can't even check for new fence DIYs or buy any trip tickets. (Might be smart to buy some in advance though.)

The inherent issue here is that once you finish all the unlocking, you're back to the exact same situation of the only thing really for you to do is daily check-in stuff. "Today in Animal Crossing" is Animal Crossing - jumping forward isn't gonna change that. You gotta find ways to make daily events fun - join the discord and go fishing with people in the opposite hemisphere and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Guest room's ready

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Winklebottom posted:

I appreciate how you can use trash for DIY this time around

holy moly

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Stux posted:

hourly music like the older games unlocks once resident services upgrades
It's still surprisingly low effort, even SimCity 5 had rotating starting out tunes. Even if we won't ever hear this loop again, first impressions matter

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Winklebottom posted:

I want that wall and floor so badly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

YggiDee posted:

Bathers took a whole day to build a museum and as punishment I'm giving him all the bugs I found first and asking him to explain all of them.

https://twitter.com/uno_yu_ji/status/1242511900178444288

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

I want that wall and floor so badly.

Fish up enough trash and you'll learn how to make them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blathers is cool, and smart, and he is my friend

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

When do you get a ladder?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

When do you get a ladder?

One of the new residents needs flower bits for their house. Nook gives you the ladder so you can get to the flowers on the higher levels.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

DuhSal posted:

dodo 4V6HY
I got peaches and I think a tree of cherries and oranges.. most of my other ones are still growing. it's raining here.
come visit!

Caught my first Coelacanth, Sturgeon, AND completed my fruit biodiversity on this visit. Thank you so much!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

It's still surprisingly low effort, even SimCity 5 had rotating starting out tunes. Even if we won't ever hear this loop again, first impressions matter

ill be honest in that it hasnt really bothered me but also i played so much wild world and new leaf that i heard the hourly tunes around the times i played way more than i will ever have heard this starting song once its switched out lol

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
did someone mention rare flowers

the island I went to after this was also a giant pond, but in the middle of the pond was a little island full of rocks. Each rock contained money. I think I left with like 100k. The pond was inhabited by koi.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Your villager looks exceptionally silly from behind.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle
drat. i love rupi kaur.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got my first new resident in yesterday. What else am I supposed to do in this game other than just chopping trees and hitting rocks? The decorating doesn't really appeal to me.

What does talking to residents provide? The times I go talk to them, nothing happens so it doesn't make me want to go do it anymore.

Does any of the stuff you make other than tools and maybe the wardrobe have any function? The grill just sits there right? There's no food to cook.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

JosefStalinator posted:

Warning to goons, if the place you're visiting DC's while you're there, you can lose all your rare fish. Just lost a great white and arowana :cry:

I'm guessing this was my island? Sorry about that :( I passed out on the couch and my switch had gone into sleep mode when I woke up.

I'll disable the power save stuff if I leave it open like that again.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Do villagers stop showing up at islands once you get three houses filled? Or is it related to having the residential hall built tomorrow?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Come visit magnificent Pen Island! I have oranges and would like bamboo and anything that isn't coconuts or peaches. I'll be running around at the beach trying to exterminate the island's clam population.

Dodo Code:
BJY37

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Just making sure: the money tree yields rewards once and after that can be cut down?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

KingKapalone posted:

What does talking to residents provide? The times I go talk to them, nothing happens so it doesn't make me want to go do it anymore.

Be nice to your neighbors, and sometimes they give you stuff. My boy Dom gave me some sweet triangle shades just because he liked my shirt. Or, you know, just to be nice. Coco moved in today! :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
making a custom town tune now that I have the town hall and the game just became GOTY

click
(sound)

I hope spoilering mp4's work because it's the kind of thing I'm sure some people would like to experience unspoiled
spoilering mp4's doesn't work! made it a link instead

PantsBandit posted:

Your villager looks exceptionally silly from behind.

i hope you're not referring to my amazing utility jumpsuit :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Just making sure: the money tree yields rewards once and after that can be cut down?

Correct

KingKapalone posted:

I got my first new resident in yesterday. What else am I supposed to do in this game other than just chopping trees and hitting rocks? The decorating doesn't really appeal to me.

Does any of the stuff you make other than tools and maybe the wardrobe have any function? The grill just sits there right? There's no food to cook.

I mean you can fill the museum, but honestly outside of that decorating your home/island and playing dress up are the biggest parts of the game.

Residents can give mini-quests, items or teach you expressions intermittantly. You can also get nook miles quests to talk to them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you talk to the villagers to be friends with them and hang out

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

You don't have to name them "a", I gave them sensible titles and details and they transferred in just fine.

I gave them all kinds of titles and I always got the 3999 error. I guess ymmv.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

KingKapalone posted:

Animal Crossing is a game for playing tea party. You may have to alter your expectations if you're feeling lost. Have fun getting creative!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

no

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2020

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Talking to residents can also give you personal satisfaction because they are your cute neighbors and friends

Stux posted:

you talk to the villagers to be friends with them and hang out
dang beaten

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I'm gonna say probably, Animal Crossing is not the game for you. If talking to the cute villagers just to see what cheerful thing they have to say today doesn't do it for you, and the prospect of them maybe giving you some furniture or clothing. A fairly big chunk of AC is just acquiring material wealth and decorating your house and dressing up, not a whole lot left outside of that. No there's no point, its just for fun

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Winklebottom posted:

Frank Reynolds cosplay lookin' good.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I like talking to my animal neighbors because it makes me feel happy.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 25, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't post the animal crossing villagers or animal crossing animals naked in any context please

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

don't post the animal crossing villagers or animal crossing animals naked in any context please
My island is in international waters, your laws dont apply there

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
But that was hilarious

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
here on breakfast island, we eat trash and live free

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

here on breakfast island, we eat trash and live free

that is a good-rear end flag

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

KingKapalone posted:

Maybe you'd enjoy Story of Seasons. There is a remake of Friends of Mineral Town in the making for Switch. It's the best Harvest Moon out there (as far as I'm concerned). You can cook, grow crops, raise animals and date people with questionable drinking or eating habits. There is a mine where you can dig to the core of the earth, and a group of spirits you can exploit as labourers. Also lots of festivals and competitions.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Has anyone tried burying a shovel in the money tree hole yet?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DeadlyHalibut posted:

But that was hilarious

i'm sure you can find enough out there to laugh off to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last night I took a chance on a trip and sure enough got a Tarantula Island and I have to say it was really fun and a challenge to get them, but now I'm probably a full expert on tarantula wrangling. I made sure to chop down the trees and pick all the flowers so I could get full visibility and in less than an hour had pockets full of furry hell which helped me pay off my rear room expansion in one evening. Now I'm in debt for over 🔔500,000 for the next expansion. At least even though Nook is closed for expansion himself tomorrow my house will be ready.

Also I went to a friend's island to wish upon stars and got a bunch and when I got back to my own island I got a balloon present that had the DIY recipe for a bamboo wand (spring bamboo sprigs and 3 star pieces) and this morning I was able to build it, but because Mable hasn't set up shop yet for me to be able to get full outfits, but I'm glad I have it!

Does anybody have QR codes for the icons of the various fruits and maybe wood and bags of money? I'd like to mark my trees so I can remember which is which after they have been pruned. I've found flags of the various fruits but I'd like the actual icon itself.

https://twitter.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1242669367977840640?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 25, 2020