Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, it means that their experiences w math were intimately associated with their experiences w grinding power being enforced upon them

i mean yeah sort but mainly when i was learning scientific notation back in the day i just thought it was boring and didnt pay close attention. yeah, i get it you can make a long number look short if you put a letter e in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The market place in The Hague was only ordered shut today because pictures on Twitter showed that people were not being respectful of the rule to stay 1.5 meters apart. And then at 3 in the afternoon, not like, immediately.

The Dutch slam dunking it like usual.

E- they are going to try to open it again on Friday. I understand people need to get food but come the gently caress on. This has to stop.

Ralph Crammed In fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 25, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

According to the Johns-Hopkins map cases per day in the US dropped by 1,000 as of the 23rd. I'm sure this doesn't include undocumented mystery pneumonia cases in places like Bumblefuck Texas, but it might be a good sign.

I wouldn't read too much into it. In your own graph you show the cases "dropping" a couple times.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

then nine days after that they'll hit 1,000,000. That's April 21.

just in time for Trump Bucks to arrive!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

UnknownTarget posted:

I wouldn't read too much into it. In your own graph you show the cases "dropping" a couple times.

deaths will eventually outnumber cases

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rutibex posted:

just in time for Trump Bucks to arrive!

Little bad, little good, it's all balancing out in the end!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
ugh starting to get sick. felt like a minor throat issue in the last couple days, more tired and upgrading to sorta phlegm? Anyways realized I need a plan on what to do if I do end up dying, unlikely because I'm young but more likely considering the us is not handling the cases well. losing sense of taste. lol the thought of dying makes me start crying what a lovely short life. but it's probably better to have a plan then not.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Username/post combo

e: to be clear I hope you don't die, sa user Edgar Allan pwned

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The stimulus money is just a tax credit against next year right?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Starting a goon password tontine.

In return for getting everyone's stuff the last survivor needs to clear the search history of the deceased.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had to use an atm today. I wrapped my fingat in a Clorox bleach wipe

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Burt Sexual posted:

I had to use an atm today. I wrapped my fingat in a Clorox bleach wipe

did the same thing when i had to go to the office yesterday, even though there were only 3 other people there and the cleaning lady has supposedly been bleaching everything, every day

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The more I hear about the us, the more convinced I am that the South won the civil war.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Justin Trudeau just announced a 2000$ per month stipend to any Canadian who lost their job, as well as a top-up to the childcare benefits

You apply, get approved and you get the money within 10 days (canadian money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr,eh?)

Hmmm no mention of businesses or bailouts :hmmyes:

No divisions among provincial voting lines

Reassured stock on ppe's and ventilators is adequate and more are on order while also exploring repurposing shut down businesses to produce medical products.

This is very similar to the American response right?

stab fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 25, 2020

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The silly contactless Apple Pay feature on my phone suddenly became useful last week as a way to pay for food without poking at the same gross keypad as all the infected people

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

The stimulus money is just a tax credit against next year right?

i believe it's only called a 'rebate' so that the irs can disburse it

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

r u ready to WALK posted:

The silly contactless Apple Pay feature on my phone suddenly became useful last week as a way to pay for food without poking at the same gross keypad as all the infected people

lol everytime I use that some boomer tisk tisks me for trusting technology too much as they pay for groceries with a loving check. And I seem to get 5 bucks back every once and awhile as I use it so.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
Just inject the corona virus directly into my veins, desu!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I need your email address to send it the GC to - it’s enough for you to get platinum so you can get PMs which is how I would have sent it if you had it.
That's super nice, thank you!! annewhateley at gmail

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

According to the Johns-Hopkins map cases per day in the US dropped by 1,000 as of the 23rd. I'm sure this doesn't include undocumented mystery pneumonia cases in places like Bumblefuck Texas, but it might be a good sign.

its because of lack of tests, there are still shortages and supply issues

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Subvisual Haze posted:

The shared wisdom that ibuprofen is especially dangerous for covid is mostly nonsense. A single hospital in France noted that 4 younger patients reported using ibuprofen before their symptoms worsened (and hospital itself noted that this was just an observation and not any sort of recommendation against use. Somehow ibuprofen = bad got echoed by a French health minister and then the BMJ reported on the story in an editorial with a clickbait headline.

As of this Monday the BMJ is already backpedaling and posted a long “update” to the editorial that reads like a long CYA.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m1168

It is true that Tylenol (acetaminophen or paracetamol) is a better first line option than NSAIDs like ibuprofen for a lot of conditions, mostly just because Tylenol doesn't put you at risk for stomach ulcers or raise your blood pressure via less blood flow to the kidneys. But Acetaminophen being a safer first option than ibuprofen does not mean ibuprofen and NSAIDs in general are exceptionally dangerous in treating covid. BMJ hosed up sensationalizing the headline like they did.

:shrug: as a fever is the body's attack on the virus (to which it has no other ready innate defense) it seems reasonable to me that suppressing the fever by whatever means may make your outcomes worse

if i end up getting this i'll try to avoid taking any anti-inflammatories in any case

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stab posted:

Justin Trudeau just announced a 2000$ per month stipend to any Canadian who lost their job

its "up to" $1800 per month. don't assume everyone is getting the full amount. if you are poor the liberals want to make sure you stay that way

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 25, 2020

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

stab posted:

Justin Trudeau just announced a 2000$ per month stipend to any Canadian who lost their job, as well as a top-up to the childcare benefits

a local MP (Scott Reid) showed up uninvited just to deny the government unanimous consent so that they'd have to take longer to debate the whole thing (which is good, the initial plan sucked and had a bunch of bullshit in it but it's still funny)

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Rutibex posted:

its "up to" $1800 per month. don't assume everyone is getting the full amount. if you are poor the liberals what to make sure you stay that way

i don't htink that's right - it's $2000 (taxable) for up to 4 months. agreed that the libs want the poor to stay poor though

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/introduces-canada-emergency-response-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh I forgot to mention, that exponential growth is currently increasing by a factor of 10 every nine days so if the current trend continues (and it's been locked in solid for two whole weeks now with hardly a ripple) the US will reach 10,000 total COVID-19 deaths in nine days, then nine days after that they'll hit 100,000, then nine days after that they'll hit 1,000,000. That's April 21.

Sooooooo flattening that curve as hard as possible right fuckin' now would be great, pass the word along y'all

Italy has flattened as far as deaths are concerned. Is our chart worse than theirs was?

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 25, 2020

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
It seems like to most people corporate bailouts = free money for corporations.

However, they are loans, with interest I assume. If the media and social media phrased it as a loan I don't think there would be much uproar. If our airlines all go out of business the effect on our economy would be devastating.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MNIMWA posted:

i don't htink that's right - it's $2000 (taxable) for up to 4 months. agreed that the libs want the poor to stay poor though

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/introduces-canada-emergency-response-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

huh, thats a new thing that is replacing the lovely old thing. maybe canada is....good?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

mitztronic posted:

its because of lack of tests, there are still shortages and supply issues

A California lab "mistakenly" destroyed 4000 waiting to be analyzed tests.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/donald-trump-gallup-approval-polling/index.html

Can someone explain this? It claims that because of the virus, Trumps approval rating is as high as its ever been. Americans feel that he is doing a great job? But he hasn't done a single thing? This is literally that Sailor Moon meme.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/donald-trump-gallup-approval-polling/index.html

Can someone explain this? It claims that because of the virus, Trumps approval rating is as high as its ever been. Americans feel that he is doing a great job? But he hasn't done a single thing? This is literally that Sailor Moon meme.

Look up George W. Bush approval ratings after 9/11. People in America can't help themselves

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mozi posted:

:shrug: as a fever is the body's attack on the virus (to which it has no other ready innate defense) it seems reasonable to me that suppressing the fever by whatever means may make your outcomes worse

if i end up getting this i'll try to avoid taking any anti-inflammatories in any case

Doesn't the inflammation make your throat close up so you can't breathe?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mozi posted:

It really depends, fevers can get out of control quickly and be deadly. Constant tempt readings should be done to make sure it's not spiking to some unsafe level. A fever of 100 and you probably don't need to take anything, just lots of rest and fluids. Anything higher than that though and you should be contacting your doctor asap.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Genderfluent posted:

Look up George W. Bush approval ratings after 9/11. People in America can't help themselves

Isn't this a known phenomenon in response to an existential threat

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Chest feels tight but I think it's just anxiety+chlorox fumes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Imagine president George w Bush Jr. at ground zero in October of 2001 with the mission accomplished banner, promising to reopen the WTC by next week

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

It really depends, fevers can get out of control quickly and be deadly. Constant tempt readings should be done to make sure it's not spiking to some unsafe level. A fever of 100 and you probably don't need to take anything, just lots of rest and fluids. Anything higher than that though and you should be contacting your doctor asap.

https://youtu.be/gJqSdmNNwW4

Tldw dangerously high fevers are very rare and taking drugs that reduce fever from infection have been shown to worsen mortality in clinical trials

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

trump was right about china from the start, something no other politician has had the balls to call them out. and now he is proven right, china isn't some big cuddly panda bear with free investment money and cheap labor.

they are a very ambitious communist ran country that even if it fucks humanity, they will lie through teeth and even use their power over WHO to kill innocents in order to save face.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Company's work from home mandate extended two weeks, unofficial word is it will be months.

Meanwhile my boomer dad held a family gathering at his place this past weekend. 12 people for dinner. I passed and he thought I was being overly cautious. My sisters that are "socially isolating" have been posting Instagram stories hanging out in groups, drinking. So stressed about my family making poor choices.

I'm grateful for Animal Crossing in this trying time. Hopefully I will be able to look back on the winter / spring I existed stoned collecting fruit on an island from the couch and things turned out mostly ok. I'm staying the gently caress home :downs:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4j1z4J1NLY

Hmm, tough choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
9 months from now there's gonna be so many corona boomer babies.