Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/sadlando/status...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haha, that's awesome. I've played a couple hours and all the little touches that line up with head tracking and independent hands are just so good at putting you in the world.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Kitfox88 posted:

God yes, that sketchy cell shading is wonderful

Valkyrie Chronicles had an art style that was somewhat similar and I also really enjoyed the way that game looked.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Writing and teaching math in HL: Alyx It's rather impressive what you can do in it. My friend got it when it came out, and the plan was to visit and play some of it to check it out, but... :(

Anyway a little thing I've noticed more and more in games with character customization that I've liked lately is the game never explicitly asking if you or your body is male/female. In Animal Crossing, for example, you're simply given an option between two 'settings', with no mention of gender, some games just ask what you look like, etc. If I remember right, even The Division 2 did something similar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Writing and teaching math in HL: Alyx It's rather impressive what you can do in it. My friend got it when it came out, and the plan was to visit and play some of it to check it out, but... :(

Anyway a little thing I've noticed more and more in games with character customization that I've liked lately is the game never explicitly asking if you or your body is male/female. In Animal Crossing, for example, you're simply given an option between two 'settings', with no mention of gender, some games just ask what you look like, etc. If I remember right, even The Division 2 did something similar.

Yead, Division 2 gives you a toggle for "body type"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some games now ask you specifically to choose pronouns rather than gender, too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

haveblue posted:

Shovel Knight got a patch to let you choose the appearance and pronouns of every character in the game - and they're independent settings for each character.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Specifically, he had a very low aggression rating, and when he would switch to democracy later in the game; it knocked 10 points off that rating... so it went negative and became 255.

Even the most aggressive civs in the game were supposed to max at something like 100. Gandhi wouldn’t be an rear end all game, he would start like no wars and then go absolutely bugfuck nuts late game.

I always wondered if the Pkunk's line in Star Control 2, about the Ilwrath being so good that they hit "perfect" and wrapped right around to cartoonishly evil, was a reference to that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Way back on Saints Row 2 gender was a slider.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phy posted:

I always wondered if the Pkunk's line in Star Control 2, about the Ilwrath being so good that they hit "perfect" and wrapped right around to cartoonishly evil, was a reference to that.

Really my favorite part of that little thing is that they deliberately act a little bit annoying so they don't suffer the same fate. This is why they're so obnoxiously nice; it's meant to get on your nerves a bit. But, you know, only a little bit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

It could be, though integer wraparound is a fairly common feature in programmer humor. The Slylandro in the same game have another programming joke in their backstory. So my guess is this is just the game's writers writing what they knew.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Cythereal posted:

Shovel Knight got a patch to let you choose the appearance and pronouns of every character in the game - and they're independent settings for each character.

Their thought and design process for that was pretty cool too.
https://yachtclubgames.com/2017/03/designing-body-swap/

I particularly like the rules they laid down.

quote:

Body swaps should be exactly as gendered as the original character. For instance, it’s really difficult to tell that Plague Knight is male in the first place! Therefore, Plague Knight’s female body should be a little tough to tell too. Meanwhile a handsome character like Propeller Knight could have a sexier female version! The designs should be balanced with their counterparts.

The characters shouldn’t look like they are cross dressing, ie putting Shovel Knight in a dress. The outfits should look natural, not “another version” of something.

Body Swaps should match the existing personality of the characters exactly. After all, the dialogue would be exactly the same, and the boss battles and mannerisms of the characters.

Gameplay must remain identical! The Body Swaps have the same hitboxes and code as the original characters. This means that the sizes and shapes of the characters had to be identical to their original forms.

Characters should be differentiable in pixel art. There is a surprising amount of tweaking to even get the characters to look clean and readable in pixel. With the Body Swaps, we had the additional challenge of making the characters look different than their counterparts, and still look readable! This was an enormous challenge.

Both versions should be equally cool!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Fire Emblem Three Houses gives you the ability to turn back time in a battle, giving you a few chances to undo unit-killing mistakes. It's probably the best idea I've ever seen for mitigating permadeath in a game like that while still actually keeping permadeath as a mechanic, because you only get so many rewinds.

But that's a big thing, so that's not what I'm posting for. The little thing is that they actually remember that they gave you this insane superpower in cutscenes, so they actually write it in and acknowledge it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

Fire Emblem Three Houses gives you the ability to turn back time in a battle, giving you a few chances to undo unit-killing mistakes. It's probably the best idea I've ever seen for mitigating permadeath in a game like that while still actually keeping permadeath as a mechanic, because you only get so many rewinds.

But that's a big thing, so that's not what I'm posting for. The little thing is that they actually remember that they gave you this insane superpower in cutscenes, so they actually write it in and acknowledge it.

But they won't let you use this superpower to rewind to the start of a tea party if you gently caress up the conversation. I need this person to like me! Let me try again!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marshmallow creep posted:

But they won't let you use this superpower to rewind to the start of a tea party if you gently caress up the conversation. I need this person to like me! Let me try again!

Fire Emblem/Life Is Strange crossover when

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

it was half heartedly given a plot justification in Shadows of Valentia as well. It's obviously staying in the series now, so I'm genuinely looking forward to increasingly bizarre and convoluted excuses for the mechanic as the games to on

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found a fun game on Switch on the eShop called Velocity 2X. It's not got that many levels but it has a decent number, the main story is around 50 levels long with some extra challenge packs, but it introduces new mechanics at a steady pace and it has a charming story about freeing a pacifist race from space-slavery. It's kind of easy to beat the levels, but there is a tough aspect which is getting a gold time on each level. You really need to get good at speedy play for silver and gold.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Velocity games are hella fun. 2X has some fun puzzle DLC if you find yourself hooked.

My fav little thing about the first Velocity is it has a wealth of secrets and cheats that would make a Rare game envious. Just when you think you've unlocked everything the game has to offer there's some other trivial minigame or setting you stumble across.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

haveblue posted:

Yeah, BattleTech has options for He/She/They pronouns and dumbass gamers got really mad about it. Really glad that HBS stuck to their guns and left the options in.

PunkBoy has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Mar 26, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Velocity 2X is actually getting really hard to get all the collectibles in or work out a fast route, the Labyrinth level was ridiculous. Just a bunch of intertwined forcefields to try to take down, and sometimes you end up on a bad route where there's only one switch you can hit because the other barriers are still in the way, and there are like, 10 branches so you are constantly warping everywhere. It's cool design for a shooter, but loving hell it's hard, especially on some of the totally optional paths where it's just for collectibles, because if you don't have to it's probably going to be the hardest thing in the level. I liked that one boss where you press switches outside to take down forcefields inside the ship, then blast your way in, clear the route you just opened, then go back out to press more switches to unlock more forcefields, that was neat, although long.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Doom Eternal's ballista weapon makes some good-rear end sounds when you charge it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

Doom Eternal's ballista weapon makes some good-rear end sounds when you charge it.

The Gauss Cannon in 2016 was my fav because that and everything else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Way back on Saints Row 2 gender was a slider.
Haven't played Saints Row in a while but I think even in 3 and 4 when it wasn't anymore (and: booo), they went out of their way to avoid pronouns for the boss in the dialogue. Obviously it helps a great deal that the boss is the protagonist and everyone can just talk to them directly, but there are also a few instances where other characters say things like "we need to help the boss" where usually it would have been "we need to help him". By the end they basically got to using "boss" as the pronoun.

... which, y'know, yeah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haven't played Saints Row in a while but I think even in 3 and 4 when it wasn't anymore (and: booo), they went out of their way to avoid pronouns for the boss in the dialogue. Obviously it helps a great deal that the boss is the protagonist and everyone can just talk to them directly, but there are also a few instances where other characters say things like "we need to help the boss" where usually it would have been "we need to help him". By the end they basically got to using "boss" as the pronoun.

... which, y'know, yeah.

Saints Row had a really clever idea behind the player character's name, that let them keep their player character as a total cipher and avatar without giving up making them an actual character and presence. Everyone has a name for them; it's usually 'Boss', but SR1 had people calling you 'Playa', and of course IV added 'President' to the mix.

You saw JRPGs start to adopt a similar approach somewhere around the same time; largely to help with voice acting while having the player select a name, but also to give your character more of a role without sacrificing personality. Persona 4 used a mixture of titles based on who was talking to you, Persona 5 gave you the callsign 'Joker' for that purpose. Fire Emblem Three Houses mostly sticks with 'Professor'.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Final Fantasy X did it too, but only because you could rename Tidus, so they wanted to avoid his name in audio and everyone just calls him "our companion" or something.

Honestly, the desire for having every bit of text as audio has hosed things a bit when it comes to player representation. With text only you can work with variables for names and pronouns*, but you can't prerecord every possible name or pronoun in audio so you have to dance around it. You'd need to synthesize speech on the fly but good luck.

*depending on the language, obviously

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There was a startup a decade ago - PhoneticArts - that worked on exactly that use case, not synthesizing speech, but manipulating the inflection of prerecorded voice lines to allow for seamless insertion of player names into dialogue. The demos sounded great! Then they got bought by Google. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Final Fantasy X did it too, but only because you could rename Tidus, so they wanted to avoid his name in audio and everyone just calls him "our companion" or something.

Honestly, the desire for having every bit of text as audio has hosed things a bit when it comes to player representation. With text only you can work with variables for names and pronouns*, but you can't prerecord every possible name or pronoun in audio so you have to dance around it. You'd need to synthesize speech on the fly but good luck.

Star player of the Zanarkand Abes!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

FFX was probably the first example of this, and you can tell, because it's not a good example. They hadn't really figured out how to write around a nonspecific name, so it just comes off really awkwardly, like all his friends just don't remember his name but it got too awkward to ask.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Incidentally speaking of voice acting and Saints Row, I like how they kept including the character creation in the intro missions and kept the boss in some sort of mask until it was time to "define" them. SR4 managed to do it better by also keeping them mute, SR3 gave it a good shot by having them speak through a voice changer but it's so obviously Troy Baker.

... they should have had someone entirely else do the changed voice for the intro mission and that could have been comedy voice #7. Or #8, cause who'd want to miss out on the zombie voice.

e: it occurs to me that this idea is pretty close to the actual original plan of having an autotune voice, which got worked into Zimos.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Mar 27, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ruffian Price posted:

There was a startup a decade ago - PhoneticArts - that worked on exactly that use case, not synthesizing speech, but manipulating the inflection of prerecorded voice lines to allow for seamless insertion of player names into dialogue. The demos sounded great! Then they got bought by Google. :(

Google probably used the tech for the assistant which is how you get things like John Legend and Issa Rae

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AssCreed: Origins finally got rid off the dedicated run button.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The O series just fuckin nailed it, in general.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Alhazred posted:

AssCreed: Origins finally got rid off the dedicated run button.

I still pressed it occasionally :saddowns:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Cleretic posted:

FFX was probably the first example of this, and you can tell, because it's not a good example. They hadn't really figured out how to write around a nonspecific name, so it just comes off really awkwardly, like all his friends just don't remember his name but it got too awkward to ask.

Prepare to die, SON OF JECHT

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

..My old man?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Some fighting game chat in the 'pyf thing dragging games down' thread made me decide to post a couple things I really like about Dragon Ball FighterZ

1. special moves are very easy to execute

In general any time I'd play a fighting game I'd look at a character's move list, immediately think to myself 'I'm never gonna remember all this', then play a bit using whatever moves I did remember which is maybe half of them at best

Meanwhile, in FighterZ pretty much all the moves are quarter circle forwards and backwards, with a few characters having double tapping a direction and the couple extra technical characters having moves with variable progression depending on which button you press

May be too simple for some, but when I look at a character's move list I never get overwhelmed, which is important to me to actually keep playing and who knows, maybe bothering to try out the more advanced fighting game stuff (I never even heard of this okizeme thing before playing this game but now I don't just ignore fighting game chat completely)

2. story mode actually makes Nappa a fun character?

I never cared about Nappa, who would? But in story mode the fact he died before the ridiculous power creep of the series makes for some great stuff, especially with him still being in the mindset of Super Saiyans being a legend while standing next to a kid in SSJ3 mode (that's actually 2 kids fused together).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In Half Life: ALyx there is a section early on that has you exploring dark areas and the game gives you a flashlight to assist with this. Being a VR game, the flashlight it mounted on your off (non gun) hand. This has a few neat implications. If you're doing item management in the environment chances are you're not putting your gun away, meaning that each time you pick up ammo your light becomes functionally useless for a few seconds as you have to reach behind your shoulder to add ammo to your inventory. This becomes an insane risk/reward proposition that has to be done on the fly if you're low on ammo and have enemies around in pitch blackness.

Another neat touch is that if you do a two handed tactical hold on your pistol, the light will "snap" to the gun letting you better see and shoot.

You can also flick close the shotgun, the game does not tell you this. Also just everything about that shotty.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Warbird posted:

Another neat touch is that if you do a two handed tactical hold on your pistol, the light will "snap" to the gun letting you better see and shoot.

:aaa: I didn't think to try two-handed til I was back in a lighter area

Just about everything about that game is a selling point for showing off how well independent hands and head motion can be.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just cause 2 : it’s very much in the Saints row / Crackdown vein of things that you’ll be driving along just exploring things and suddenly there’ll be 500 explosions off to your left and bodies are bouncing off your windscreen all because a stray round from an NPC hit a gas canister.
Also,flying NPC planes seem to get shot down by missile turrets which is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Ring Fit Adventure just got an update that, among several new free play modes, added an option for the campaign that allows you to finish exercise sets even after dealing the killing blow (essentially autohealing the enemy until you're done). That's not the little thing - everybody complained about this. What's great is that you can toggle it to happen only for exercises with side switching in the middle.