Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

"I imagine we will implement VR in stages"

It's always a good sign when your developers are imagining what development on their product might look like.

Just layering on the fidelity, friend.

Trip Report : HL : Alyx.

The game is an instant classic because it brings back everything oldschool gamers love (No huds, intuitive "weapon wheel", no maps - reliant on visual queues and clever level design, making the players brains work in entirely new and profound ways - in VR). The game starts off showing you a massive wall of sorts and the sheer size of it represented in VR is mindboggling. And spending roughly 2 hours in it, I can say that - Valve has achieved something here with tech and art that is truly impressive.

The game is intrinsically half-life, the sounds, the art direction to the way things behave (albeit at a slower pace, think 0.5x playback or "normal speed" on starcraft when compared to older Half-Life titles). But the soul of the franchise is there, and it glows. The behavior of the Xen / Alien flora and fauna are very satisfying to explore. The plants act and react to your presence, and I spent a lot of time messing around with them with my hands (my kids who were spectating were ecstatic).

If Elite wants to do spacelegs properly, this is the bar to achieve. Valve has set something here for the industry yet again. Its less "physical" than Boneworks, its a game that knows that its a game, and Valve doesn't give a poo poo because they know its good. Games need to sometimes chill the gently caress out and take themselves less seriously and have fun - this is something that I found very entertaining while playing with Alyx. There are "scripted" things that are funny as hell - when you deal with them a certain way. Its wonderful game design and I'm glad to be a participant.

Star Citizen would probably need to be rebuilt from the ground up if they intend to do VR. This would be the funniest option. Because it makes a lot of their tech obsolete. Like the barrel / gun tech, the proper eye FPS - 3D model tech, the whole 3rd person view tech, and the list goes on with more useless garbage.

You know, just buy an Idris and VR support will show up eventually.

e:

no_recall fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

INSANE ACCELERATION

Ship exteriors seem to be disappearing at slow speeds too

I remember this scene from The Expanse.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Super-Id posted:

I remember this scene from The Expanse.

[derivative] fidelity?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Kosumo posted:

I'm claiming, right now, Chris "Wing Commander" Roberts has been fired.

I've called it.

My proof is your quote above. Spoiler - It was Sandi that got to fire him

No, no- The Crobbler is hard at work pulling 12+ hour days writing code...

Personally making sure each pixel is the perfect shade of green.

Quavers posted:

:trustme: Evocati Patch 3.9.0d 4848346 Patch Notes

:v: If a player force closes the game when killed by security they will spawn in prison retaining their loadout. Please do not do this.

Good- we finally see how plans to deal with folks who use exploits- ask then nicely to not do that.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Once CR has invented never before seen VR, all you need to do is layer on the code. It pretty much writes itself because this is how genius works.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 25, 2020

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
are they done with refactoring the ships?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

Awe look at the little guy, straight out of Full Sail University, with a glint in his eye and a dream in his heart.

This is pure classic CIG, promise that in some hazy far off future, SC will have all of the features and be better than whatever game is the current technical benchmark; then let the citizens go wild theory crafting how awesome it will all be and go on victory laps because VR will definitely be in the game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 25, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

NoMas posted:

are they done with refactoring the ships?

It's weird, total coincidence, they just announced today that they're done refactoring. "No more redesigns," said Chris, in his first appearance in like 8 months. "All the old ships are good now. Only work towards completion from now on." All the junior engine developers clapped and then wings burst from his anus and carried him skywards, it was his best presentation yet.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

It's weird, total coincidence, they just announced today that they're done refactoring. "No more redesigns," said Chris, in his first appearance in like 8 months. "All the old ships are good now. Only work towards completion from now on." All the junior engine developers clapped and then wings burst from his anus and carried him skywards, it was his best presentation yet.

God bless PC gaming. God bless Chris Roberts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I went back and watched the Squadron 42 trailer from last year and I'm laughing and shaking my head. This might have a huge budget behind it but everything in that trailer, from the cinematography to the acting to the music is godawful and reeks of auteur authority from an auteur who is an amateur.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Herb Dington posted:

I caught up with the thread so I made this to celebrate:

Ok, but let's not startle the backers with this. They need to believe its never been done before. Even those who played Crysis all those years ago will have selectively wiped their minds of this.

Its similar to how SaltEMike is talking up the new console-friendly inner throught system in his latest video, when we had a very similar with Neverwinter Nights way back in 2002.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 25, 2020

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Eat* poo poo, Star** Citizen. ***

*Eating coming in 4.0
**Stars may not work as intended
***Get a refund

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Don’t forget the multiple alien races that haven’t been seen outside of concept art... and a weird guy teaching you how to speak a fake language he made up years ago.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

If the player swaps undersuits while wearing armor, they will drop equipped items.

How is that a bug? Pretty fidelitious if you ask me.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: Please do not do this

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

iron buns posted:

Star Citizen: Please do not do this

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Fyi CIG [junior] Engineer:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Virtual Captain posted:

internally at CIG:

iron buns posted:

Please do not do this

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Reddit is putting me in game :woop:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

:lol:

Awe look at the little guy, straight out of Full Sail University, with a glint in his eye and a dream in his heart.

This is pure classic CIG, promise that in some hazy far off future, SC will have all of the features and be better than whatever game is the current technical benchmark; then let the citizens go wild theory crafting how awesome it will all be and go on victory laps because VR will definitely be in the game.

In classic CIG, they would also eventually announce the feature was basically there and complete and it is soon going to be V2.0 at some point in the unforeseeable future, and here's a graph of the thousands of people doing this in game right now.

The only benefit VR had over some nebulous CIG "system" is people need to actually interact with it, so claiming victory will be a bit harder to do. But I'm faithful in CIG marketing to pull off the seemingly impossible!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

In classic CIG, they would also eventually announce the feature was basically there and complete and it is soon going to be V2.0 at some point in the unforeseeable future, and here's a graph of the thousands of people doing this in game right now.

The only benefit VR had over some nebulous CIG "system" is people need to actually interact with it, so claiming victory will be a bit harder to do. But I'm faithful in CIG marketing to pull off the seemingly impossible!

They'll just release a VR "anniversary" ship along with a "remember when" Twitter post that makes it look to the casual observer like this is a veteran space game with years of history, rather than a career fraud's fake game used as an excuse to steal money to spend on pretending to be a Hollywood director.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

They'll just release a VR "anniversary" ship along with a "remember when" Twitter post that makes it look to the casual observer like this is a veteran space game with years of history, rather than a career fraud's fake game used as an excuse to steal money to spend on pretending to be a Hollywood director.

Could just make a video and say "VR better than any game ever, coming in 2021!" and never work on it and never deliver anything. It's not like CIG is dedicated to meeting any deadlines. So just lie, make the sales, then have people "come back in a few years fudster!" for the feature they were promised and bought.

Anybody expecting anything they bought to be delivered is a bad and evil goon refundian.

This is the true secret sauce of Star Citizen. :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Could just make a video and say "VR better than any game ever, coming in 2021!" and never work on it and never deliver anything. It's not like CIG is dedicated to meeting any deadlines. So just lie, make the sales, then have people "come back in a few years fudster!" for the feature they were promised and bought.

Anybody expecting anything they bought to be delivered is a bad and evil goon refundian.

This is the true secret sauce of Star Citizen. :)

Tier -0 VR announced at next citcon

Only Chris is in attendance

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Gameplay will be addressed later, it is not a 'now' priority

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Gameplay will be addressed later, it is not a 'now' priority

It will be layered in later. Star Citizen is a Tier-0 layer cake.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZx93VmN2N4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Final Space Court update:

lol

still getting caught up but lmao this is the most Star Citizen thing ever. GG everyone, we did it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

still getting caught up but lmao this is the most Star Citizen thing ever. GG everyone, we did it

What's good about this is everyone involved lost apart from us

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

peter gabriel posted:

Well it's pretty clear the lawyers also won.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fidelitious posted:

Well it's pretty clear the lawyers also won.

yes!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Did the lawyers have special fancy helmet type things?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Meanwhile in star citizen, limerick contest is in full swing

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Herb Dington posted:

I caught up with the thread so I made this to celebrate:

I like the way all the green pixels have been turned blue.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dogeh posted:

I like the way all the green pixels have been turned blue.

There's still some green left in the background. We need to keep funding so Chris has the resources he needs to turn them blue.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

lobsterminator posted:

There's still some green left in the background. We need to keep funding so Chris has the resources he needs to turn them blue.

It's pre-alpha.
There might need to be more refactoring.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

literally just jumping on that alyx hype wagon knowing full well they'll never get anything even remotely similar to it operating in their game. Like not even 5% of what Alyx has implemented in it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cao Ni Ma posted:

literally just jumping on that alyx hype wagon knowing full well they'll never get anything even remotely similar to it operating in their game. Like not even 5% of what Alyx has implemented in it.

But fidelity!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just wait, once Cyberpunk 2077 releases some junior dev will jump on the forums to say how they're working on getting Keanu into Star Citizen as your co-pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I don't think it's corporate messaging, I think it's just a (young) fool who has watched too many Japanese Animes and doesn't really know much about his industry or how project management works.

(This is aimed more at the young fool than at you) When Star Citizen was conceived, VR was literally still in the prototype-kickstarter stage. There's not a single part of Star Citizen's design that is oriented toward VR. I'm not just talking about the UI or the canned animations all over the place- VR is a foundation-level shift in terms of the way users experience and interact with your game. Games in VR need to have enormous levels of interactivity. Static assets that shouldn't be static- consoles, buttons, little things that should be movable- stand out like giant glaring signs in VR. It makes the entire experience feel like fake props. Games in VR also need to be slower paced- high levels of motion will rapidly exhaust your user base, and you can't (for example) expect a 3 hour MMO session if you demand that your user swing their sword 25 times per encounter or hide in cover like they're playing Gears of War. UI in VR needs to be minimal. Users will be taking a lot more environmental feedback and it feels really weird to have to check a number somewhere on the screen to know how many bullets they have, vs just pulling out the magazine and looking at it.

There's not a single game out there that has had VR bolted onto it retroactively and actually been good as opposed to just a moderately interesting gimmick. Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR were expensive boondoggles with just... tons of bugs and problems. All of the good VR titles were built ground-up for it, and half the industry is still just dev sandboxing for new ideas. None of this will ever happen in Star Citizen.