Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Android Apocalypse posted:

Jets going transsonic is cool.

Google searching "transsonic" brings up… different results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

drat I can see right up that jet's skirt!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

trickybiscuits posted:

I tried to get a "Chinese gov't created the coronavirus and released it to control protesters" conspiracy theorist to share their evidence and they told me to think for myself and stop watching CNN. It was so disappointing. I thought they would be like flat earthers where their evidence was crap but you could at least respect them for trying.

I got a similar response from climate change deniers, except they got angry and called me lazy for not doing my own research.

alexandriao posted:

But I just did, so clearly your view is fallacious.

Ultimately you're referring to a rule of debate, but this isn't a debate. They told me something I said wasn't true, and I referred them to sources where they can learn more, and asked them to search for further information. I did that because I do not have my primary sources available, so I would be providing the first sources I found, and if I did provide sources, we would spend hours on the merry-go-round of they poking holes in, and not liking, my sources, while not disproving or disputing my claim, and me providing alternative sources for hours. I do not have the time for that, and as much as it will hurt you, I am not the fountain of all information.

Life isn't a debate club for you, you are an adult and capable of researching someone else's claim on your own time, rather than wasting theirs. Other people do not usually spend hours of their lives categorising their life experiences and sources so that other people can peruse them when they don't believe something, and almost nobody can these days list the exact sources that led them to believe something.

If I had listed sources, all I would have done would have gone to Google, typed in the same search I displayed, and linked a few articles from there. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot do that on your own time.

The burden of proof works with science, where you can list a specific experimental claim or paper that demonstrates what you claim, and with philosophy, where you can list the author or publication that led you to believe a specific idea. It falls down when making general claims (especially about cultures), as many of them are either experiencial, and do not lend easily to being cited or referred to, or are part of such a web of different supporting beliefs you could build a library out of the primary sources. Unless you want every single chat history and interaction I have had for the last decade? I guess that would be a primary source.

Google why I should read all that crap.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Nice

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There are a lot of these

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

Google why I should read all that crap.

Eh just read the first two, idk why I wrote that much, graphomania struck at the worst moment or whatever.

TL;DR: I don't have primary source available, all I would have done is googled, there's no point me doing that for you and us getting into an arguing about sources*

* - (This poo poo always happens, I used to discuss stuff with conspiracy theorists and it happens all the bloody time)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alexandriao posted:

Eh just read the first two, idk why I wrote that much, graphomania struck at the worst moment or whatever.

TL;DR: I don't have primary source available, all I would have done is googled, there's no point me doing that for you and us getting into an arguing about sources*

* - (This poo poo always happens, I used to discuss stuff with conspiracy theorists and it happens all the bloody time)

Ok.

1: You don't cite sources for your claims because you'll get hauled off to Debate Jail if you do not. You do it because otherwise it's a waste of time entertaining your claims, and they can be ignored.

2: Someone said something you didn't agree with, and you said "nuh-uh", and they said "oh really? why do you say that?" and you said "go look it up."

You didn't refer anyone to any source, all you did was tell people to go and look. Besides the fact that Google search results change depending on your search and internet history, how is it in any way reasonable to ask that people make your own argument for you?

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Mar 25, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/joshuaray/status/1242441412500525062

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Mar 25, 2020

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Credit where credit's due:
https://www.instagram.com/wandererswhit/?hl=en

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

alexandriao posted:

Buddy, you're the conspiracy theorist here.

:v:: Let's talk about vaporwave!
:tinfoil:: Actually vaporwave is full of Nazis!
:v:: Really, can you cite some sources on that?
:tinfoil:: Think for yourself, do some research sheeple

Maybe just take the L and move on.

https://i.imgur.com/N8iyJrM.mp4

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

My college room mate and I stole a sign pointing the direction to Athol, SD so I'm going to politely disagree with this jpg.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

My college room mate and I stole a sign pointing the direction to Athol, SD so I'm going to politely disagree with this jpg.

eh?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

There's a town in South Dakota named Athol and it's pronounced like rear end in a top hat if you had a lisp.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Flyinglemur posted:

There's a town in South Dakota named Athol and it's pronounced like rear end in a top hat if you had a lisp.

That's a big

Why did you do it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

My favourite PA restaurant (Shady Maple) is in Blue Ball township.

Bird-in-Hand is another winner, along with Big Beaver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's an Atholl in Scotland too. A much bigger one.

It also has a Duke of Atholl and an Earl of Atholl.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The state of Georgia also has Cumming and Climax.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if we're cribbing from the yank map there's not only an essex but a sussex wessex, and middlesex. No norsex that I know of, though, for some reason.

Also a Bangor in Wales and a Sexhow near where I live that's supposedly the site of a legendary Worm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
In addition to Virgin, Southern Utah has the towns of Fillmore and Beaver.

I remember seeing one of those oval bumper stickers for sale there that said "UTAH FILLMORE VIRGIN BEAVER" :haw:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The state of Georgia also has Cumming and Climax.

Looks like it takes about 4 hours to get from Cumming to Climax. Georgia should consult a physician.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
I have to pass through Beaverlick, KY quite often.

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007
Morehead City, NC and Seymour Johnson Air Force Base are my favs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OwlFancier posted:

Also if we're cribbing from the yank map there's not only an essex but a sussex wessex, and middlesex. No norsex that I know of, though, for some reason.
You have Wessex, Essex and Sussex more or less at 90° to one another, but north of that the Angles were much more acute.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

OwlFancier posted:

Also a Bangor in Wales and a Sexhow near where I live that's supposedly the site of a legendary Worm.

I looked it up

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3zb60k/why_is_there_no_norsex_in_england/

tl;dr - the "northern" English were not Saxons but Angles. Thus they used Angle words for their kingdoms. If those people had been Saxon then the Angle kingdom of Mercia might have been Norsex.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

But babies are lots of fun!

e: on second thought I guess I can't speak for anyone keeping a baby as a pet, disregard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Snakes are like 0 effort

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You might be thinking of Your Friend’s Baby

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When a baby gets dirty, you can hose it off in the backyard

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

No one in Maine pronounces Bangor "Bang-ger". It's "Bang-gore," like it fuckin looks. That one lovely song mispronounced it fourty fuckin years ago and now every dumbass flatlander passing through this town pronounces it like that. It's the easiest way to identify a tourist.

:rant:

Besides, there's plenty of way better dirty names in Maine, like Dixmont. :dong:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pick posted:

Snakes are like 0 effort

can pet snakes be fed anything besides whole mouse corpses? i think most people find handling those to take effort disproportionate to their mass.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

can pet snakes be fed anything besides whole mouse corpses? i think most people find handling those to take effort disproportionate to their mass.

Live mice

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Railing Kill posted:

No one in Maine pronounces Bangor "Bang-ger". It's "Bang-gore," like it fuckin looks. That one lovely song mispronounced it fourty fuckin years ago and now every dumbass flatlander passing through this town pronounces it like that. It's the easiest way to identify a tourist.

:rant:

Besides, there's plenty of way better dirty names in Maine, like Dixmont. :dong:

Same with Detroit. People not from here pronounce the E, like DEEE-troit. If you’re from here, it’s Duhtroit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

Live mice

So I could just send my pet snake to roam in the attic for food? I guess it could also get warm there because of the chimneys.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Preparing post about pronunciation of Worcester, brb

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Bloop posted:

Like this, without the "shire" on the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPerqGHwj3k

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Wait til you see Towcester.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Pick posted:

Snakes are like 0 effort

Snakes can be pretty low effort, but keeping one hundred crickets as supplementary pets is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

That one’s easy, “BLI-Ted HEL-hole”.