Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Cho rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Of the new investigators, Jaqueline and Harvey seem by far the best. I can't think of many situations where Nathaniel Cho wouldn't be inferior to Mark Harrigan (although throwing 4 damage Dynamite Blasts could be fun). Wini seems like a worse Silas, although I could be underrating the cycling power of her ability. Don't like the limited card pool though (same for Cho, who should at least get rogue since he's a criminal!). Also as an aside, the Beretta M1918 is an incredibly bad weapon for anything but solo or maybe duo play (where I could almost see Tony using it if you just pray you never have to deal with more than 1 enemy with over 1 health). I'm also kinda surprised at the amount of new cards they say they're planning on adding (80% from what I remember hearing), that's around 2 or more deluxe expansions worth of player cards. Sure feel better about getting these than the books.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

alansmithee posted:

Wini seems like a worse Silas, although I could be underrating the cycling power of her ability. Don't like the limited card pool though (same for Cho, who should at least get rogue since he's a criminal!).

She gets card draw with every test, Silas is only once a turn. With the previously terrible card opportunist she can allow every committed skill card replace itself . . . until her luck runs out. With neutral skill cards she'll end up getting more cards than she committed. Throw in a lucky cigarette case and draw even faster.

I think she'll be really powerful because cycling your deck means getting key cards faster. I've already had success with succeed by 2 decks, she'll be even better.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 25, 2020

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Of the new investigators, Jaqueline and Harvey seem by far the best. I can't think of many situations where Nathaniel Cho wouldn't be inferior to Mark Harrigan (although throwing 4 damage Dynamite Blasts could be fun).

When Cho throws dynamite it's +1 damage to one of the targets, not all of them (clarified on the stream apparently). Still pretty good value, I think.

He probably needs more card support in the form of fast events like Counterpunch which lets him use his ability in more phases, and a high XP fight event to use in lieu of big guns is a niche waiting to be filled (and it could be thematic) but I don't know what that would look like (Monster Slayer doesn't really cut it). Boxing Gloves is pretty decent draw, but I feel like you'd need a lot of recursion too if you're going to rely on event fighting in multiplayer.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Myself I'm pretty excited for Stella. Drawing Thin had already taught people to respect failure decks and that's a really, really good conditional for extra actions. The mailwoman is going to have some mad tempo.

Can't wait to stack Quick Learner to self-sabotage agility on Track Shoes.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 25, 2020

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've already had success with succeed by 2 decks, she'll be even better.

Do you have any you can post? Rogues are easily my favorite class, and I'd love to see how you've built a deck like this.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Am I the only one that's skeptical over the move to move to single investigator packs? That's one of the things I prefer(red) with Arkham over Marvel Champions, that each large expansion box gives you a full set of investigators and two scenarios, that felt like good value. There's already an abundance of characters to choose from, what I want is more scenarios. But I guess after seeing how much money single characters can print for FFG, it couldn't be helped, but I don't want no part of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oenis posted:

Am I the only one that's skeptical over the move to move to single investigator packs? That's one of the things I prefer(red) with Arkham over Marvel Champions, that each large expansion box gives you a full set of investigators and two scenarios, that felt like good value. There's already an abundance of characters to choose from, what I want is more scenarios. But I guess after seeing how much money single characters can print for FFG, it couldn't be helped, but I don't want no part of it.

I think that your first point and your second are at odds - personally I agree that there's already a ton of investigators so I'm really excited about anything that might move the focus of new expansion boxes onto more scenarios.

I really love the game but the current model of buying eight SKUs per campaign sucks, especially if you want to try some new hotness player cards but you're not the one providing the encounter/scenario cards for your group.

Basically, Marvel's complete unlinking of scenarios from player cards has me really excited about the game, and with the (frankly staggering) amount of content we already have for Arkham I'd love to see more of that going forward for this game too.

(Also I'd kill for more standalone or two-part scenarios, those are always stellar and the most fun I have in this game is coming up with some insane off-the-wall investigator deck to try one as a standalone).

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Do you have any you can post? Rogues are easily my favorite class, and I'd love to see how you've built a deck like this.

Yeah I'd like to see some decks too. Rogue is my favorite class as well. I've had a little success with over achiever decks with Jenny and Sefina but it looks like this new rogue is made for it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oenis posted:

I think a lot of this is driven by people's experience with Marvel Champions where you can just walk into a store, pick up a character deck and start playing, which you couldn't do with Arkham before.

Did they say on stream whether this would be a one off thing or the model going forward?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

She gets card draw with every test, Silas is only once a turn. With the previously terrible card opportunist she can allow every committed skill card replace itself . . . until her luck runs out. With neutral skill cards she'll end up getting more cards than she committed. Throw in a lucky cigarette case and draw even faster.

I think she'll be really powerful because cycling your deck means getting key cards faster. I've already had success with succeed by 2 decks, she'll be even better.

As I mentioned I could be underestimating it, but her statline doesn't instill me with a lot of expectation that she'll be able to pull off the succeed by 2 frequently. And I really think a big issue is simply how limited her card pool is. All that said, I could be very wrong and a lesser Silas is still a great character as Silas is pretty much one of the, if not the, best characters for dealing with encounter monsters be it combat or evasion.

Kalko posted:

When Cho throws dynamite it's +1 damage to one of the targets, not all of them (clarified on the stream apparently). Still pretty good value, I think.

He probably needs more card support in the form of fast events like Counterpunch which lets him use his ability in more phases, and a high XP fight event to use in lieu of big guns is a niche waiting to be filled (and it could be thematic) but I don't know what that would look like (Monster Slayer doesn't really cut it). Boxing Gloves is pretty decent draw, but I feel like you'd need a lot of recursion too if you're going to rely on event fighting in multiplayer.

I'm thinking the best bet is probably to ignore the gloves, and go heavy into things like dynamite, the new event that gets you 2 resources (basically a replacement for emergency cache), and hopefully some other events that have utility and just use another weapon that actually does damage. He really needs support though, as the selection of guardian cards that do damage is really low currently (seriously, I get they were keeping them simple but he's tagged as criminal, he should have access to rogue events at least :(. or they could've done something similar to carolyn where he gets access to events that fight or do damage).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm very, very happy to see they added not only a native american woman, but also a black, trans woman as well. Hopefully this is the trend going forward.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Arkham Files nowadays is generally pretty good about this sort of stuff, like Rita Young's backstory explicitly dealing with racism and there is a least one same sex couple in the story (I think Agatha Crane)

They also redid some of the more uh...suspect art from old editions of the boardgame, like redoing the art of Mandy reading over a desk so you're not staring straight down her bra

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It was a long time ago, don't have a copy of the build anymore, but it was Jenny going through Carcosa solo with a switch blade and lockpicks.

I'm going into the final Dreamlands scenario with this: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/660106

Emergency Catch (2) is actually Cryptic Writings (2).

It is the most absurd Seeker I've ever played. And I recently played Mandy Thompson.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Arkham Files nowadays is generally pretty good about this sort of stuff, like Rita Young's backstory explicitly dealing with racism and there is a least one same sex couple in the story (I think Agatha Crane)

Also Calvin Wright:

Calvin Wright's Bio posted:

Sometimes, life gives you a choice: accept the lot that is given to you or stand up for who you are and what you believe. Calvin chose the latter. On the edge of death, bleeding out on the side of a dirt road, he received a vision - a terrifying vision of the Earth, sundered, and João, the love of his life, turning to ash in the vortex of a blazing inferno. Then, Calvin made another choice. He reached out to the darkness and pulled it within him. He would not die, not today. The world needed him. João needed him.

So if I read this and

Until the End of Time posted:

Unyielding, uncompromising,
he stood resolute in defiance of his fate.

correctly with the latter's art...is Calvin Wright immortal, through sheer force of will, harnessing and controlling mythos power?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't think he's immortal exactly but he's basically saying "gently caress off" to the mythos via sheer willpower.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

food court bailiff posted:

Basically, Marvel's complete unlinking of scenarios from player cards has me really excited about the game, and with the (frankly staggering) amount of content we already have for Arkham I'd love to see more of that going forward for this game too.

Marvel's five month gap between scenarios is why I've already lost interest in it.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

I'm looking to make some more tokens for this game. What would you say are the most useful tokens aside from doom/clue/resource/damage tokens?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Arrow markers for linking locations. One/two/three/four way markers are pretty handy in working out how the map is arranged.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Arrow tokens should have definitely come with the came. I bought acrylic ones off Etsy and they are awesome.

Team Covenant's very pricey Arkham stuff is super worth it. I can't even imagine playing the game now without the sweet player boards and tokens. I actually found my stash of original cardboard tokens for the game and I was surprised how like my gut reaction was "wow, these are garbage" after using the TC tokens for 2 years now.

Elenkis posted:

Marvel's five month gap between scenarios is why I've already lost interest in it.

Also, honestly, gently caress Marvel. At least if Arkham is ripping poo poo off of Lovecraft it does it in novel royalty-free ways. I'd rather have at least a few things in my nerd-life be not related to ultimately giving Disney more money.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 10, 2020

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I love my two Team Covenant card holders. I am hoping they'll release a few more designs so I can get a set of 4 that are all different :3

I also really want to grab tokens from this Etsy seller cause they gorgerous, but expens:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/741487831/arkham-metal-resource-costly-reserves?ref=shop_home_feat_1

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I bought two player boards and tokens from this store last year but still haven’t played with them yet. Still continue to buy card packs for the game though.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/BuyTheSameToken

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

I bought two player boards and tokens from this store last year but still haven’t played with them yet. Still continue to buy card packs for the game though.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/BuyTheSameToken

If I didn't already have team covenant boards/tokens, I'd be all over these. I like the team covenant stuff a lot-the board wound/sanity trackers are shaped so they can only fit in their slot, and I actually like how they're set up with a side compartment for clues/resources (things that I don't think work as well with the preset slots like the above have), but I love the idea of the magnetic cover and I like the light tan colored tokens.

And I'll actually recommend against getting arrow markers. With a lot of the board setups, they just seem to get in the way and add clutter without clarifying much. We actually quit using ours awhile ago. Although maybe we're just lazy, who knows.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

We've never used arrows either. Since release we've only used the tokens that have come with the two cores we bought. Although they are fading away badly. Bookmarked that Etsy link though. Those tokens are gorgeous.

Has anyone tried Arkham on Tabletop Simulator? I missed the sale on Steam but thinking about pulling the trigger anyway. I love playing with the actual cards especially since I have a full collection but playing on TS or Octgn seems like a great way to try out new decks.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

We've never used arrows either. Since release we've only used the tokens that have come with the two cores we bought. Although they are fading away badly. Bookmarked that Etsy link though. Those tokens are gorgeous.

Has anyone tried Arkham on Tabletop Simulator? I missed the sale on Steam but thinking about pulling the trigger anyway. I love playing with the actual cards especially since I have a full collection but playing on TS or Octgn seems like a great way to try out new decks.

This module is kept very up to date, has a lot of automation and somehow doesn't explode trying to track every token you've created during a campaign. Very recommended.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

LupusAter posted:

This module is kept very up to date, has a lot of automation and somehow doesn't explode trying to track every token you've created during a campaign. Very recommended.

It’s incredible. Tried it with the wife and it does some great things. It can import decks from ArkhamDB and automatically sets up any scenario up to Weaver.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Thanks for the link. Went in on a four pack with a buddy and that mod is pretty fantastic. Didn't take very long to figure things out and importing decks is a great feature.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Couple of new cards spoiled by a fan site/podcast.

Sharpshooter is a great effect but exhausting it is a dealbreaker. Stella's signature is Unexpected Courage+ and you get three copies of it.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

alansmithee posted:

And I'll actually recommend against getting arrow markers. With a lot of the board setups, they just seem to get in the way and add clutter without clarifying much. We actually quit using ours awhile ago. Although maybe we're just lazy, who knows.

I think if you were buying them, then it could be an issue that a lot of the location connectors are just one way / two way connectors, and that can get messy. But the poster was talking about making some, and then you can make three and four way connectors that reduce the amount you need immensely. I made my tokens as well (they are just stickers on squares of wood), originally had just one and two way connectors, got a bit annoyed with how many were needed, made up some three and four way connectors, and never looked back. Having them all colour coded as well is super helpful on maps where the layout can change, and suddenly the yellow two way connector has become a red one way connector.

Plus we play five player, so not everyone is sitting close to the location cards to see the icons.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’ve printed off a set of these for my own collection.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2809004

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Getting really into tabletop simulator, does anyone wanna do the idol campaign or another one online?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ubik_Lives posted:

I think if you were buying them, then it could be an issue that a lot of the location connectors are just one way / two way connectors, and that can get messy. But the poster was talking about making some, and then you can make three and four way connectors that reduce the amount you need immensely. I made my tokens as well (they are just stickers on squares of wood), originally had just one and two way connectors, got a bit annoyed with how many were needed, made up some three and four way connectors, and never looked back. Having them all colour coded as well is super helpful on maps where the layout can change, and suddenly the yellow two way connector has become a red one way connector.

Plus we play five player, so not everyone is sitting close to the location cards to see the icons.

As for the location connectors, it's just more clutter and at least for us didn't add anything. It's not just 3 and 4 location connections, it's shifting connections, connections that are multiple, shortcut type things, etc. Just didn't add anything, but if it works for your group go ahead.

The thing I really wonder about however is how you play a game that tops out at 4 with 5 players.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I bought the starter set on a whim to have some solitaire tradgame I can play during quarantine. I've seen the first starter campaign called a bit bad, but even then I've been pretty hooked fast, and have the Dunwich box and some better card storage ordered already.

This is going to be one of those wallet destroying games, isn't it?

:negative:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

alansmithee posted:

The thing I really wonder about however is how you play a game that tops out at 4 with 5 players.

The only thing limiting the game to four players is the number of cards you have, really; the game only has three meaningfully different roles, so unless there's some "if you have exactly N players" mechanic I've not seen in later campaigns five players doesn't seem like it'd be significantly worse than four.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

The only thing limiting the game to four players is the number of cards you have, really; the game only has three meaningfully different roles, so unless there's some "if you have exactly N players" mechanic I've not seen in later campaigns five players doesn't seem like it'd be significantly worse than four.

Details in scenario setup often depends on the number of players, even in the Dunwitch Legacy, and there are never instructions for 5. Do you just follow setup according to 4 players and wing it? I guess that technically possible but there would definitely be balance wonkyness. The balance of the game is already pretty funky at 4 players.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 15, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

NRVNQSR posted:

The new player decks couldn't come at a better time to make easily having enough cards for 4 people a viable thing.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
For missions with a specific number of enemies to spawn based on player count, it's usually fairly clear what the pattern is.

Five players has some quirks. Some things are harder; Ancient Evils gets drawn more regularly, bosses have insane health values, treachery cards that hit a location hit multiple people constantly, hunters almost always have a target, but some things are easier; evading is pretty effective, there's usually someone around to throw an icon your way if you need it, and there's going to be someone in the group that can deal with a single action test, like a parley.

Really though, the jump from four to five is much smaller than two to four.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just played a catacombs mission with Rita and skids. I think we defeated one or two enemies total (one thru Waylay), leaving 32+ hit points of enemies left on the board, including three elite bosses and a very unlucky mob enforcer.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just finished the two scenarios in path to carcosa. They seemed kind of easy? Do I need to move on to hard now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

Just finished the two scenarios in path to carcosa. They seemed kind of easy? Do I need to move on to hard now?

Probably, standard is pretty trivial once you know what you are doing with an extended card pool.