Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mnoba posted:

trump was right about china from the start, something no other politician has had the balls to call them out. and now he is proven right, china isn't some big cuddly panda bear with free investment money and cheap labor.

they are a very ambitious communist ran country that even if it fucks humanity, they will lie through teeth and even use their power over WHO to kill innocents in order to save face.

Meanwhile our glorious leader Donald J. Trump is doing his best to save us all from Coronavirus, such a tremendous job he's doing. Soon, he'll be back to golfing, a sport he's great at and thinking of more ways to bring healthcare to the masses and stop the press from spreading fake news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Pindakaas posted:

9 months from now there's gonna be so many corona boomer babies.

9 months from now we might still be facing this issue

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Pindakaas posted:

9 months from now there's gonna be so many corona boomer babies.

The doom boom

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The real boom will be 9 months after we're let out of the house.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Should I call the cops on the beauty salon that's continuing to operate illegally next to my essential takeout spot? They pulled the curtains so it looks like they're closed.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
All that poll tells me is that Trumps America is a very ambitious capitalist ran country that even if it fucks humanity, they will lie through teeth and even use their power over CDC to kill innocents in order to save face.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Italy has flattened as far as deaths are concerned. Is our chart worse than theirs was?
Edit: Oooooh lucky last minute edit there Carlos, LOL

Yeah the US chart is straight as an arrow and Italy has started to flatten the curve, they would have been at the "10,000 cumulative deaths, 1,000 per day" point already if they hadn't applied the brakes. Here's the log graph for their cumulative COVID-19 deaths, as you can see it's sloooooowly bending

Here's the linear version of the same graph:

But they're also at the "Cops beat the poo poo out of anyone spotted outdoors, local mayor threatens to send soldiers with flamethrowers" stage of a hard quarantine instead of the mostly voluntary self-isolation they've currently got in the US. If they hadn't gone that extreme the graph easily could have turned out something like this instead:

Here's the page where I'm pulling the original graphs for Italy:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Edit: note also that decelerating the graph and "flattening the curve" this late in the game without a hard quarantine only means that we're slowing the rate that the infections are increasing. We'll still get the same number of infections, just over a much much longer time frame so that the hospitals don't get insanely overwhelmed and we're not leaving old people to drown in their own lung juices in horrific pain & terror alone at home. Flattening the curve so that it's horizontal means that the number of new infections per day remains steady instead of accelerating like a rocket blasting off into space. South Korea acted really quickly and actually managed to flatten the curve of confirmed infections after a few weeks and their total number of current (known) infections is actually dropping.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 25, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mnoba posted:

trump was right about china from the start, something no other politician has had the balls to call them out. and now he is proven right, china isn't some big cuddly panda bear with free investment money and cheap labor.

they are a very ambitious communist ran country that even if it fucks humanity, they will lie through teeth and even use their power over WHO to kill innocents in order to save face.

Is this really relevant though? The main point how I see it is if he was right about the virus or not. He wasn't, he said it wasn't even real, and now he wants all state governments to undo their isolation procedures, which are going to result in millions of dead Americans. He has already gotten others killed by recommending drugs that don't even actually work for COVID-19, and is making decisions based on what he saw on Fox News.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

Isn't this a known phenomenon in response to an existential threat

It's called Stockholm Syndrome, I believe.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Is this really relevant though? The main point how I see it is if he was right about the virus or not. He wasn't, he said it wasn't even real, and now he wants all state governments to undo their isolation procedures, which are going to result in millions of dead Americans. He has already gotten others killed by recommending drugs that don't even actually work for COVID-19, and is making decisions based on what he saw on Fox News.

It's too bad that trump is a retard who will kill americans because xi needs to have that poo poo rubbed in his face at every opportunity.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/donald-trump-gallup-approval-polling/index.html

Can someone explain this? It claims that because of the virus, Trumps approval rating is as high as its ever been. Americans feel that he is doing a great job? But he hasn't done a single thing? This is literally that Sailor Moon meme.

Trump stopped the virus when there were only 15 cases in the US and now there are zero. 10/10 perfect handling of the virus.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Dear Watson posted:

All that poll tells me is that Trumps America is a very ambitious capitalist ran country that even if it fucks humanity, they will lie through teeth and even use their power over CDC to kill innocents in order to save face.

Haha jesus christ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So is anyone masturbating not because they're bored but as a stress response and does it end up looking like yore porking someone beefy of more lithe

colas
Feb 14, 2007

He had a perfect phone conversation with the virus

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

colas posted:

READ THE TRANSCRIPT

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/donald-trump-gallup-approval-polling/index.html

Can someone explain this? It claims that because of the virus, Trumps approval rating is as high as its ever been. Americans feel that he is doing a great job? But he hasn't done a single thing? This is literally that Sailor Moon meme.

Someone a few pages back said that the post-response approval rating of 60% is still embarrassingly low. It should be no problem for a president to come out and say "here's what we're doing, we're figuring it out, we'll get through this together" and skyrocket to wide approval. But he's out there shrieking at reporters, downplaying the threat, and lying about cures.

Hell, that article even says his overall approval is still around 50% which is just abysmal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pick posted:

does it end up looking like yore porking someone beefy of more lithe

Yes

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

poverty goat posted:

Should I call the cops on the beauty salon that's continuing to operate illegally next to my essential takeout spot? They pulled the curtains so it looks like they're closed.

Yes, do it

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

According to the Johns-Hopkins map cases per day in the US dropped by 1,000 as of the 23rd. I'm sure this doesn't include undocumented mystery pneumonia cases in places like Bumblefuck Texas, but it might be a good sign.

A shitload of states are either running out of tests or are refusing to test outside of impossibly specific circumstances. Cumulative cases is pretty worthless at this point and it's almost entirely driven off of New York's extensive testing program while hundreds of thousands of cases are ignored elsewhere.

My state is deep red, our ICUs are full, hospitals are starting to setup pop-up morques but we are testing maybe a few hundred people a day only if they've come in contact with someone who has been confirmed to have Covid-19.

Also our governor outright refuses to close our State down because he claims that there is no proof shutdowns work and we need to tackle the virus head on instead of hiding like cowards.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

deaths will eventually outnumber cases

Exactly. Wait for the large metro areas in America outside of CA/NY that are challenging the virus to a fist fight to catch up over the next week or two.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

colas posted:

The settlement of the Coronavirus problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all the world may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the Virus Chancellor, Herr Fluler, and here is the paper which bears its name upon it as well as mine. Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you: "...We regard the agreement signed last night and the American-Coronavirus Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two communities never to infect one another again."

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

poverty goat posted:

normally i would say no and gently caress the cops but in this case its for the greater good, so yeah

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
France's offcial numbers don't account for people who die at home, or the dozens of olds who crooked in retirements homes, lol

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

I said come in! posted:

People are inscrutable in general. Social media sorting us into echo chambers makes us think that most people see the world like we do and value the same things that we do.

Basically people are bizarre/insane/ignorant/malicious/etc - take your pick

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

purple death ray posted:

I need some advice goons.

I am the shipping dept. at work. We're a pretty small branch of a company that fixes stuff in restaurant/hotel/hosiptal/school kitchens, got a few branches in a couple of states. We're essential so we're not closing. Business has slowed down so hard they've furloughed a few people and we're running on a reduced staff. I am part of the team that's staying around.

My wife is relieved that I'm still working, but I'm loving terrified. I'm in a red state and the gov. is dragging his feet on any kind of meaningful shutdown. We had our first case less than 3 weeks ago and we're over 100 now. Starting to see big daily spikes from that exponential growth. I'm expecting it to really blow up over the next couple of weeks. The people I work with are still going out to dr appointments, going out for smoke breaks together, and overall they are older, conservative people who were poking fun me for spraying down all my incoming shipments with Lysol back on the 19th.

Personally I do not feel the least bit essential. I've been getting less than 10 shipments a day (forecast for today is, literally, 3 boxes) and almost no businesses will let our techs in to do work anyway. I know I should work as long as possible but I'm having an increasingly hard time justifying putting myself and my wife at risk so I can open 3-5 boxes a day, for parts that are going to sit on the shelf because 90% of our business is gone right now. I am in a position where I could take almost a month off with full pay. I have had a sore throat for about 5 days now and it doesn't seem to be progressing but I am strongly considering quarantining myself anyway. I think the odds of one of our staff getting sick and having the whole place shut down are pretty strong and I would rather bounce before that happens.

I feel pretty bad as this is a good job with good people running it and I'm absurdly lucky to have this company at my back considering the other places I could work for. Even if I round up to 'cold symptoms' which would probably spook the manager enough to approve it, it does feel dishonest. But like I said I am terrified. I am teetering on the edge of a panic attack basically any moment I'm not at home with my wife and cat.

So goons, what would you do? What should I do?

A month off won't be enough. This is the new normal for the next year or two. It's possible that PPE to protect you from possibly contaminated cardboard could become more available in a month, but I wouldn't count on it.

Whatever financial assistance comes may well not apply to people who quit. People get real spiteful at the idea that "lazy" people might take advantage of the situation. So you could find yourself in a real bad place financially. For years.

You could end up needing to find a new job long before this is over. Who is hiring? Walmart. Grocery stores. Some warehouses. Those all sound like more dangerous jobs than opening 10 boxes a day. Some laid off hospitality worker will gladly snap up your job the moment you quit.

It's okay to be scared. Everybody is scared. You just need to have a good long think about whether the consequences of quitting are scarier than the danger of staying.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

it's really the only thing that makes sense to me to explain the poll numbers, he is being given the benefit of the doubt because he was right about something accidently

Lambert posted:

Meanwhile our glorious leader Donald J. Trump is doing his best to save us all from Coronavirus, such a tremendous job he's doing. Soon, he'll be back to golfing, a sport he's great at and thinking of more ways to bring healthcare to the masses and stop the press from spreading fake news.

he isn't handling it well and stumbled right in the beginning and towards the middle, and his pride and thinking the stock market matters to everyday people are making it worse

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
We don't get have to get into the bigger issues to point out that China loving lied its rear end off about how many people died and is still lying about it and how many people have it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Subvisual Haze posted:

People are inscrutable in general. Social media sorting us into echo chambers makes us think that most people see the world like we do and value the same things that we do.

Basically people are bizarre/insane/ignorant/malicious/etc - take your pick

I pick all of them

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

It seems like to most people corporate bailouts = free money for corporations.

However, they are loans, with interest I assume. If the media and social media phrased it as a loan I don't think there would be much uproar. If our airlines all go out of business the effect on our economy would be devastating.

Uh no their planes would be sold off and another new airline company would take their place

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

You could end up needing to find a new job long before this is over.

I’m so glad I can go back to EMTing when my current job ends. I didn’t want to go back to that but I doubt there’s going to be many new spots for EHS people anytime soon, but I can’t see ambulances turning people away. It’s not ideal but it’ll help me stop my savings from bleeding out.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

naem posted:

9 months from now we might still be facing this issue

Cheer up, we could all be dead in 9 months.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

poverty goat posted:

I've called the cops on a half dozen businesses today (all livestock auctions) that are screaming "IT'S AMERICA WE DO WHAT WE WANT EVERYONE'S WELCOME" while GA continues to post huge increasing rates of infection and death.

My local, beloved drive-in movie theater (I can take my doggies with me and have picnics with them, okay?) shut down and I thanked them profusely and they sent me a free ticket to get in next time. I love them.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've called the cops on a half dozen businesses today (all livestock auctions) that are screaming "IT'S AMERICA WE DO WHAT WE WANT EVERYONE'S WELCOME" while GA continues to post huge increasing rates of infection and death.

Woa that's dumber than the wet markets, thanks for your service

schmug
May 20, 2007

lmao

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/louisiana-pastor-defies-coronavirus-order-draws-over-1-000-people-n1168501

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

So is anyone masturbating not because they're bored but as a stress response and does it end up looking like yore porking someone beefy of more lithe

Gotta get those endorphins and dopamine hits from somewhere

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I don't understand how anyone is masturbating what with all the restaurants closed.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i found this on this site called reddit or something might come in handy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

dudeness posted:

I don't understand how anyone is masturbating what with all the restaurants closed.

Could you elaborate on your restaurant fetish

colas
Feb 14, 2007

If only there were a way to broadcast your church service to a device that every man,woman, and child has on them at all times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

colas posted:

If only there were a way to broadcast your church service to a device that every man,woman, and child has on them at all times...

what was the sermon? "you'll all be meeting jesus real soon"