Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Opening all the file cabinet and desk drawers is my jam now. It just feels good in such a stupid primal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Shoefish posted:

Valve's writing and comic timing is on point as always.

No.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lemming posted:

I would say the answer is a bucket but then I ran into this bug :(

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantVictoriousWerewolfCharlietheUnicorn

What up, nade buddy

https://i.imgur.com/xuOuPTA.mp4

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yes. I've been enjoying all of the dialogue so far, Russell is a blast.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Yes. I've been enjoying all of the dialogue so far, Russell is a blast.

No no no, you’re not allowed to like things that the thread has already passed judgement on.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Friendship with Barney ended now Russel is my best friend.

Also next time I play I'm doing this no longer how long it takes me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo I got the flashlight last night and those sections are spooky ooky. Like, I had to just sit and take a breather afterwards.

Valve really nailed the scale of this game to make it feel like you’re really there. I have a two camera Rift setup, so things get a bit wonky when I face away from the cameras. In most games I’m rooted enough in reality yet to know when I’ve turned around and I can turn back before my controllers start to swim. In this game I’ll get all turned around and not even know it.

The game does have some issues I hope get patched out but in general, Valve really knocked it out of the park with this one and I really feel like this is a proper half life game even though Valve is hedging their bets and saying it’s not.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Friendship with Barney ended now Russel is my best friend.

Also next time I play I'm doing this no longer how long it takes me.

I accidentally forgot to pick it up after a loading screen around chapter 4 and didn't remember until later.

Is there a cheevo?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Breakfast All Day posted:

I accidentally forgot to pick it up after a loading screen around chapter 4 and didn't remember until later.

Is there a cheevo?

You bet there is

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There is no way I'll be able to afford to play this game any time soon. Does anyone here know a good playthrough on youtube that really explores and looks at stuff? What I've seen looks great, but also most don't really know what they are doing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm around the area you get the third weapon.
So
many
headcrabs
are they infinite

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, just wait for the next flashlight section that's designed to prevent you from shooting wildly in panic.

That one didn't really bother me. I got in there and thought "I'm going to have to fight a bunch of poo poo in here and I can't hit the walls" But there was nothing really there. Unless that changes with difficulty? I'm playing on Normal, does the difficulty change the number of enemies? Or is it just how much damage I take and how much I have to shoot things?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That one didn't really bother me. I got in there and thought "I'm going to have to fight a bunch of poo poo in here and I can't hit the walls" But there was nothing really there. Unless that changes with difficulty? I'm playing on Normal, does the difficulty change the number of enemies? Or is it just how much damage I take and how much I have to shoot things?

In hard there were two zombies.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Is there a dev console command to disable quick turn?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SabinBlitz posted:

Is there a dev console command to disable quick turn?

You can unbind it through SteamVR's controller settings.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

SCheeseman posted:

You can unbind it through SteamVR's controller settings.

And this will enable smooth turning???

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oh so Valve removed the tag from the game that disabled family sharing. I guess my friend doesn't need to buy it now.

SabinBlitz posted:

Smooth turning is an option in the in game settings menu. It bugged for the first day but I think it's patched now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SabinBlitz posted:

Smooth turning is an option in the game. You can also set the speed of the turning.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

It’s been broken for me but good news. They bug fixed it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fokgdy/halflife_alyx_has_been_updated_and_now_includes/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SabinBlitz posted:

No, it'll disable turning altogether. If you want smooth turning there's an option for it in the game. It was bugged at launch but they patched it apparently.

protip: SteamVR Advanced Settings lets you bind smooth (and snap) turn to any input you want at the platform level, allowing smooth turn with snap turn-only games or even software that doesn't have any turning support built in at all.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

SCheeseman posted:

No, it'll disable turning altogether. If you want smooth turning there's an option for it in the game. It was bugged at launch but they patched it apparently.

protip: SteamVR Advanced Settings lets you bind smooth (and snap) turn to any input you want at the platform level, allowing smooth turn with snap turn-only games or even software that doesn't have any turning support built in at all.

This is excellent, I did not know that. Thank you!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

peter gabriel posted:

Agreed, the sense of presence is incredible, this hit me when I instinctively tried to kick a cardboard box out the way then had a 'duh' moment about it

I leaned over a ledge to shoot a headcrab on the ground below and tried to steady myself with a nearby virtual safety railing. I nearly fell flat on my face.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My 10 year old just played, it was so cool, he loves G Mod so gets all the references and knows all the characters, it took him 20 minutes to get inside the first door because he was picking stuff up, commenting on things and just generally talking it all in, I loved watching him, he was sooooo excited "Oh my goodness!" when the Strider walked by "That's a really nice pigeo- LOOK AT THAT DADDY!" As he is waving a bottle around - So much fun :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I leaned over a ledge to shoot a headcrab on the ground below and tried to steady myself with a nearby virtual safety railing. I nearly fell flat on my face.

In Lone Echo, which is perhaps the most immersive VR title I played for now, after playing a good time standing, there was a moment that one of my feet was bothering me and I wanted to scratch it. I grabbed a 'virtual' corner in the game with one hand to maintain my balance and not fall while i was scratching it. I only noticed what I was doing in the middle of the act, lol.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

peter gabriel posted:

My 10 year old just played, it was so cool, he loves G Mod so gets all the references and knows all the characters, it took him 20 minutes to get inside the first door because he was picking stuff up, commenting on things and just generally talking it all in, I loved watching him, he was sooooo excited "Oh my goodness!" when the Strider walked by "That's a really nice pigeo- LOOK AT THAT DADDY!" As he is waving a bottle around - So much fun :)

Oh my goodness :allears:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Wanderer posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh my goodness :allears:

He spotted about 70% more stuff than I did, he was playing with the washing machine for like 10 mins and I had no idea it worked until I watched him :v:
He stopped playing after the first headcrab zombie because 'It's a bit too real now Daddy"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is some talk on Internet about if the 43K CCU peak for Half Life Alyx is good (much higher than any other VR game!) or bad (it's low for a HL game!).

There are some factors to consider, like HalfLife being a series that has been too much time outside the limelight, the new generations haven't played it (13 years since the last game!). And hell, it's a linear SP game, not the hottest style of game right now. It's 2020, if you aren't a GAAS MP game, it's hard to enter in the top 25 games most played, and Valve well know that, it's the reason Portal 2 was their last single player game, they know online is what makes money.

Still, I was thinking today how perhaps the most important point right now it's how people cannot impulse-buy it. With other games, once people see a title on the top selling list, or read some great impressions on a forum, or watch it in a stream, or read a review in IGN or Gamespot, they can say 'hell yes, let's buy this poo poo'. HL Alyx is having all that, very good reviews, great impressions, being on the frontpage of Steam... but IF THERE IS NO VR HEADSETS TO BUY, THEY CAN'T IMPULSE BUY IT. So, I think the limited numbers of Rift S, Quest and Index headsets will be a limiting factor in how many copies it can sell (beyond the fact buying a headset + game is expensive).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Opening all the file cabinet and desk drawers is my jam now. It just feels good in such a stupid primal way.

Opening drawers and cabinets is something I just love so much in video games (Thief 2014, despite being poo poo, was very good for this) and it's fantastic in VR. I'd love to see a Thief or Thief inspired game in VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The little detail where your ingame hand conforms to an item you're pushing or touching is just so good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sekenr posted:

Guy, spoil it for me. How much of the game is the terrifying headcrab land?

Its Half-life, they're the mook enemies. I assume the whole game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Angry Joe actually called for MORE jump-scares in the game, which... gently caress that.

But I guess like me he kept assuming that the "dead" zombies were fakeouts that would wake up, and so far that hasn't happened.

Still, game can be pretty drat intense. Like there was a moment Russell was like "AAAH!" and its basically a jumpscare, although a pretty tame one.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The little detail where your ingame hand conforms to an item you're pushing or touching is just so good.

It's easily the strongest hand presence I've experienced in a game, despite having more constrained interactions than something like Boneworks. I was having subtle expectation-mismatch in the real world with my hands for an hour or so after a long play session, which I've previously only experienced with vision/movement.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone else have trouble not holding onto the index controllers? I was on the Vive and the Rift for so long where you have to hold onto the controllers, I just can't get myself to stop gripping the index controllers all the time. It causes problems where I'm accidentally grabbing things all the time.

Zaphod42 posted:

Angry Joe actually called for MORE jump-scares in the game, which... gently caress that.

But I guess like me he kept assuming that the "dead" zombies were fakeouts that would wake up, and so far that hasn't happened.

Still, game can be pretty drat intense. Like there was a moment Russell was like "AAAH!" and its basically a jumpscare, although a pretty tame one.

It's happened twice for me. Once was scripted to happen to start a time based thing you have to do. The second was me in a zombie area. I walked up to a corpse, and it woke up. It was weird though because the game moved me backwards away from it as it stood up.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The most effective jump scare for me is the time Russel's new drone bursts into the weapon upgrade room at the distillery.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

The most effective jump scare for me is the time Russel's new drone bursts into the weapon upgrade room at the distillery.

I at least felt kind of cool because I managed to hit it when I reflexively turned around and shot out of fear

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Anyone getting a bug where the pause menu isn't opening? I tried disabling the steam vr menu, because it was blinking out of existence whenever I closed the steam vr overlay, but now I'm not getting a pause menu at all?

Using an Oculus Rift.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The future of schooling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2-9MwA5JI

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Me after a battle with a headcrab got too intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There was a point where I encountered an intact window, but there was a small opening underneath. I assumed it wanted me to crawl through there, so down I went flat as a pancake. I couldn't stick loco my way through it, so I started crawling. It worked! I was through to the other side!

I got up, took another look at the glass and sighed, smashing through the glass with my pistol.
The game really does deserve to be played room scale.