Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Javid posted:

It's my understanding that a lot of companies are sending those out despite it not being required currently, so it doesn't actually mean anything yet. I've been considering making one on my business letterhead since it would have about as much legal force and is about as likely to matter.

I love how Oregon wants to send everyone "non-essential" home, but we still have to have an extra redundant person finish their cigarette and walk over to touch the gas dispensers before we can buy gas. 48 other states manage without that guy and we're already unemploying people en masse for t h e g r e a t e r g o o d, but not the single least essential possible position it is currently possible to be employed in

Safety!
I have a friend who works for a medical testing lab and this is on all their badges. I don't think it has any legal weight but sure would be convenient to flash around though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

1glitch0 posted:

I got my paper through the company but it was from DHS. And it was before Boeing declared they were closing down. It was last week. I assume it's not needed, but getting a bad vibe getting an a letter from DHS marked "Unclassified" and told by management to have it on me or in my car. Not the best way to reassure an already tense staff.

So Boeing management being incompetent. Big shift there.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I work from home 3 days a week under normal times so was told to just stay home all days, but my employer sent them out on Monday from HR for other departments.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

pseudanonymous posted:

So Boeing management being incompetent. Big shift there.

LOL Boeing cant even manage to update our vendor parking passes. They expired in January but they told us to keep using them until at least June.

I have access because we have IT poo poo there.

Boeing security has been hard core lately. Buncha my coworkers got hit with tickets for going like 3 mph over speed limit. someone got hit for smoking in their car. another person rolled a stop sign. They also implemented a new badge checking system if you use the drive in front / back gate.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
We shut down production at our facility yesterday, small manufacturing team.

Sent everyone home for two weeks full pay. I have to deal with the site infrastructure for the WFH's and receive freight, so I'm hanging around, but literally the only one. We fall into the "essential" category as we make marine electrical equipment but playing it safe for the good of everyone, I have enough on hand stock to feed vendors for the next few weeks.

Been trying to get the order from my boss to send everyone home and cut production for two weeks. I'm exhausted but relieved. I've been worried for safety of my crew and the city for too long.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

It's my understanding that a lot of companies are sending those out despite it not being required currently, so it doesn't actually mean anything yet. I've been considering making one on my business letterhead since it would have about as much legal force and is about as likely to matter.

I love how Oregon wants to send everyone "non-essential" home, but we still have to have an extra redundant person finish their cigarette and walk over to touch the gas dispensers before we can buy gas. 48 other states manage without that guy and we're already unemploying people en masse for t h e g r e a t e r g o o d, but not the single least essential possible position it is currently possible to be employed in

Safety!

Look, It's a jobs program for those of low intelligence and ambition, along with people that have developmental disabilities. Do you really want to take that away from them?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
there are plenty of other useful things that folks can do besides pump gas. imagine a society with even the most minor changes if you can.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

therobit posted:

Look, It's a jobs program for those of low intelligence and ambition, along with people that have developmental disabilities. Do you really want to take that away from them?

Yeah definitely want to make poor people inhale gas fumes so they can eat. We wouldn't want to "take that away from them".

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lollin' at all the missing pasta at every grocery store I go to

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
My buildings landlord just came in, asked hows business, eyed my hand sanitizer, to which I offered a bottle, of which he took and walked right out.....

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BlueBlazer posted:

My buildings landlord just came in, asked hows business, eyed my hand sanitizer, to which I offered a bottle, of which he took and walked right out.....

lol

I love how people have forgotten that bars of soap exist.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Oregonians, please to be signing petition

https://yesonip34.org/sign-the-petition/

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mr. Dick posted:

Oregonians, please to be signing petition

https://yesonip34.org/sign-the-petition/

Are you involved with this campaign or just spreading the word? If it's the former, I would love to chat with you about this online form and what legal hoops you needed to jump through to set it up.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Spreading the word.

No snideness intended, the "contact us" button on the main page works and an email will likely be read and responded to.

If you're lucky enough to live in Oregon, and are registered to vote, the petition has a p.o. box # on it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is that the mushroom thing?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
YES. You can now print it out, sign it and mail it in.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Javid posted:

Safety!
Washington got the stay home order the other day but it seems like the list of "essential" is exhaustive enough that I'm honestly not sure what businesses couldn't argue they need to stay open.

Retail clothing stores?

Seems like the only people who are gonna get to stay home are those that could work from home anyways.

*shrug*

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Freakazoid_ posted:

lollin' at all the missing pasta at every grocery store I go to

It sorta makes sense, but it's also really funny. Big Pasta and Big Bean Cans are cleaning up right now! From my unscientific findings, spaghetti and those weird wavy thick pastas that maybe are used for lasagna or something are the least popular.

Also the Oregon gas pumping thing is one of the weirdest and adorable things I've seen. I went through Oregon during a road trip in my early 20s and we stopped and started trying to pump gas into the car and someone rushed out of the store and started to berate us. "What the hell do you think you're doing!?" like we were about to eat a grenade or something. We were so alarmed and confused.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mr. Dick posted:

YES. You can now print it out, sign it and mail it in.

Apparently they'll call and text you to make sure you did it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Definitely not putting my contact info into THAT form, then, thanks for the heads up

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Lol, it's legit. They're checking to see if their links worked and if people can print the form and stuff.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
look who's coming to dinner

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

Left coast, best coast.

Though seriously this is a great step and I’m glad to see that there’s some actual leadership filled the void left by the federal government. We can all point out things these three really need to improve on, but on the whole they’ve really stepped up and it’s reflected in the state DoH numbers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

The birth of the PSA?

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Solkanar512 posted:

Left coast, best coast.

Though seriously this is a great step and I’m glad to see that there’s some actual leadership filled the void left by the federal government. We can all point out things these three really need to improve on, but on the whole they’ve really stepped up and it’s reflected in the state DoH numbers.

Yeah I'm still mad that Brown keeps getting owned by Chuds who she should 100% sic the cops on to drag into the statehouse and then the whole Bundy poo poo but the Covid response has been good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My dad forwarded me an unemployment faq from one of the empty headed conservative sw WA reps with the caption "better information than we are getting from OUR elected officials" but there was a bunch of highlighted stuff saying that the ESD is advising people to wait until after 4/28 to apply for unemployment under the new CARES act guidelines so they don't get mistakenly denied for unemployment.

But uh, that seems to contradict the info I got from the ESD which was, apply as soon as you are eligible. As I understand it, Jay Inslee's emergency rules went into effect immediately, and the CARES act stuff, the additional 600 per week and extended benefits, has no bearing on that. Additionally, anyone who waits until 4/28 to apply is going to be potentially missing out on 4 weeks of expanded payments, which you know, is something that people who need to be applying for unemployment really can't afford.

Am I missing something here or are conservatives just doing the usual thing where they want to confuse and gently caress over poor people?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The ESD is asking those who became eligible via the CARES act to wait until after April 18th, because that's when their systems will be updated. I don't think that means you can't apply now but like the rest of us already on unemployment before the CARES act was passed, you're going to be waiting until after the 18th anyway.

I'm not seeing anything related to the 28th so I think that's some republican fuckery going on. The 13 weeks where you get $600 a month are available to you through December 26th, so if you become unemployed anytime before then, you can start drawing from that.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 16, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Freakazoid_ posted:

The ESD is asking those who became eligible via the CARES act to wait until after April 18th, because that's when their systems will be updated. I don't think that means you can't apply now but like the rest of us already on unemployment before the CARES act was passed, you're going to be waiting until after the 18th anyway.

I'm not seeing anything related to the 28th so I think that's some republican fuckery going on.

Whoops, I misread it and it was the 18th in the email. Regardless I'm not really sure what he's on about, I didn't become eligible via the CARES Act, I became eligible via Gov. Inslee's emergency declaration and I've now been able to receive benefits that were backdated to mid march. But the ESD has already contacted me to let me know that all payments after 3/28 will be augmented with the additional 600 per week via the CARES act also. So I really don't know what my dad is talking about other than he wants to make it clear that Republicans good Demonrats bad because apparently he didn't get the same info from Derek Kilmer or something? loving hell.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I know it won't happen, but it's hilarious there's been such a failure of the federal government that Cascadia seems like it could be a thing.

Hilarious might be the wrong word.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

1glitch0 posted:

I know it won't happen, but it's hilarious there's been such a failure of the federal government that Cascadia seems like it could be a thing.

Hilarious might be the wrong word.

I mean if we keep giving Republicans control of the federal government (that they hate when it does good things like social programs but love it when it's time to kill people overseas) the logical endpoint is going to be these interstate compacts and balkanization. It's going to loving suck for a lot of people and it'll probably just be something that happens naturally over time given our lovely undemocratic voting systems. You can't just keep having like 30% of the population dictating what happens at the federal level and thinking that the majority of the population that wants social services will just be okay with yielding their political power to vast amounts of empty land.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

DrNutt posted:

I mean if we keep giving Republicans control of the federal government (that they hate when it does good things like social programs but love it when it's time to kill people overseas) the logical endpoint is going to be these interstate compacts and balkanization. It's going to loving suck for a lot of people and it'll probably just be something that happens naturally over time given our lovely undemocratic voting systems. You can't just keep having like 30% of the population dictating what happens at the federal level and thinking that the majority of the population that wants social services will just be okay with yielding their political power to vast amounts of empty land.

I agree, but it's like the dark part of the map in video games. Who the gently caress knows what it will look like. I approve of Cascadia, I just can't see the outcome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

I agree, but it's like the dark part of the map in video games. Who the gently caress knows what it will look like. I approve of Cascadia, I just can't see the outcome.

Phillip K Dick worked this out for us already, only instead of German/Japanese partition it'll just be corporate conglomerates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle#/media/File:The_Man_in_the_High_Castle_novel_map_of_former_USA.png

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Phillip K Dick worked this out for us already, only instead of German/Japanese partition it'll just be corporate conglomerates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle#/media/File:The_Man_in_the_High_Castle_novel_map_of_former_USA.png
Amazon or Google, BP or Exxon-Mobil, Goldman Sachs, and Wal-Mart?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

tir tairngire except the elves wear nikes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Cross posting from the Roni thread, sorry for the length -

loving awesome, the sheriff of Snohomish County is now openly defying Governor Inslee’s orders and refuses to enforce anything that goes against “anyone’s constitutional or religious rights”. This is a long one, sorry for that.

A giant, gaping rear end in a top hat posted:

Snohomish County Residents and Business Owners,

I just watched the Governor’s speech to Washingtonian’s regarding our approach to getting Washington back in business and I am left to wonder if he even has a plan? To be quite honest I wasn’t even sure what he was trying to say half of the time. He has no plan. He has no details. This simply is not good enough in times when we have taken such drastic measures as the suspension of constitutional rights. I wrote most of this about two weeks ago but I decided to wait out of respect for the Governor and my own misguided hope that each day he did a press conference he would say something with some specificity on getting Washington back to work. After what I witnessed tonight I can no longer stay silent as I’m not even sure he knows what he is doing or knows what struggles Washingtonian’s face right now.

I want to start by saying this virus is very real and sadly, it has taken 97 lives in Snohomish County. This is a very serious issue and the appropriate precautions need to be taken to protect our most vulnerable populations. However, our communities have already shown and continue to show they understand the severity of the situation and are doing all they can already to keep themselves, their families and neighbors safe and healthy.

I am worried about the economy and I am worried about Washingtonian’s that need to make a living for their family. As more data floods in week by week and day by day about this pandemic I think it is clear that the “models” have not been entirely accurate. While that is okay, we cannot continue down the same path we have been on if the government reaction does not fit the data or even worse, the same government reaction makes our situation worse.

As elected leaders I think we should be questioning the Governor when it makes sense to do so. Are pot shops really essential or did he allow them to stay in business because of the government taxes received from them? That seems like a reasonable question. If pot shops are essential, then why aren’t gun shops essential? Our Governor has told us that private building/construction must stop as it is not essential, but government construction is okay to continue. So let me get this right, according to the Governor if you are employed or contracted by the government to build government things you can still make a living for your family in spite of any health risk. If you are a construction worker in the private sector you cannot make a living and support your family because the health risk is too high. This contradiction is not okay and in my opinion is bordering on unethical.

As I arrive to work at the courthouse, I see landscapers show up each day to install new landscape and maintain our flowerbeds. How has Governor Inslee deemed this essential work? However, a father who owns a construction company and works alone while outdoors is not allowed to run his business to make a living to provide for his wife and children? How has Governor Inslee deemed thousands of Boeing employees who work inside a factory building airplanes essential? But building residential homes is not essential? If a factory with 20,000+ employees each day can implement safe practices to conduct normal business operations, I am entirely confident that our small business owners and independent contractors are more than capable of doing the same.

If this Coronavirus is so lethal and we have shut down our roaring economy to save lives, then it should be all or nothing. The government should not be picking winners or losers when it comes to being able to make an income for your family. If the virus is so lethal it shouldn’t matter whether you are building a school for the government, building a new housing development, restaurant owner, or you happen to be an independent contractor. To the contrary, if the virus is proving to not be as lethal as we thought, maybe it’s time for a balanced and reasonable approach to safely get our economy moving again and allowing small businesses to once again provide an income for their families and save their businesses. This is what I hoped for from the Governor tonight but he is not prepared or ready to make these decisions. If we are going to allow government contractors and pot shops to continue to make a living for their families, then it is time to open up this freedom for other small business owners who are comfortable operating in the current climate. This is the great thing about freedom. If you are worried about getting sick you have the freedom to choose to stay home. If you need to make a living for your family and are comfortable doing so, you should have the freedom to do so.

As I have previously stated, I have not carried out any enforcement for the current a stay-at-home order. As this order has continued on for well over a month now and a majority of our residents cannot return to work to provide for their families, I have received a lot of outreach from concerned members of our community asking if Governor Inslee’s order is a violation of our constitutional rights.

As your Snohomish County Sheriff, yes I believe that preventing business owners to operate their businesses and provide for their families intrudes on our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I am greatly concerned for our small business owners and single-income families who have lost their primary source of income needed for survival.

As your elected Sheriff I will always put your constitutional rights above politics or popular opinion. We have the right to peaceably assemble. We have the right to keep and bear arms. We have the right to attend church service of any denomination. The impacts of COVID 19 no longer warrant the suspension of our constitutional rights.

Along with other elected Sheriffs around our state, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office will not be enforcing an order preventing religious freedoms or constitutional rights. I strongly encourage each of you to reach out and contact your councilmembers, local leaders and state representatives to demand we allow businesses to begin reopening and allow our residents, all of them, to return to work if they choose to do so.

The great thing about Snohomish County government is we have all worked very well together during this crisis. I’m not saying we agree all of the time, I’m saying we have the talent and ability to get this done for Snohomish County! This is not a time to blindly follow, this is a time to lead the way.

Sheriff Adam Fortney

And this is why you should vote in off year elections.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Oh it's that fucker again. From back in January: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...g-his-campaign/

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jackard posted:

Oh it's that fucker again. From back in January: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...g-his-campaign/

Christ, that brings back memories.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Cross posting from the Roni thread, sorry for the length -

loving awesome, the sheriff of Snohomish County is now openly defying Governor Inslee’s orders and refuses to enforce anything that goes against “anyone’s constitutional or religious rights”. This is a long one, sorry for that.

And this is why you should vote in off year elections.

I mean... Snohomish county is full of CHUDs and NIMBYs, this isn't really surprising. The residents there are probably loving this.

There are, like, Texas-levels of churches up there.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... Snohomish county is full of CHUDs and NIMBYs, this isn't really surprising. The residents there are probably loving this.

There are, like, Texas-levels of churches up there.

The Snohomish law enforcement community is going to be super weird now because their county prosecuting attorney is a really good guy, he got elected in 2017 or 18 on a platform of restorative justice and alternatives to incarceration, then in 2019 they elect a batshit MAGA dude as the sheriff to work with him. I don't know how much of it will go public but there is going to be some really weird courthouse internal politics happening in criminal justice up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol boeing being in snohomish means those assholes are gonna go to church and poo poo - get covid - then bring it to work.

Boeing's making this big deal about how they're gonna clean the kitchens and poo poo more often but as someone who spends time in one of the older hangars - lol no they fuckin aint. They couldn't even install the toilets right in the loving bathrooms and there's been blood and poo poo on the walls in one of them the entire time i've worked there.

edit: I saw the komo news puff piece on what they are doing and they showed one single kitchen with a touch free kitchen faucet and I guarantee they only put like 1 in 1 kitchen to be like LOOK WE DID IT