Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Shame this couldn't have waited a few months for the implementation of Max and Keira's law. Think of the organs we could have accrued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah I posted it on this page

I never click contextless links and I suspect that's true of a lot of people.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

baka kaba posted:

Aww I didn't know Ashleigh was doing stuff again

Anyone else get the feeling the government isn't just going for the herd immunity strategy except with plausible deniability this time, it might actually be their brexit strategy as well?

"Take it on the chin", get it over with "in 12 weeks" and once the bodies are cleared we're back to normal, in a world where everyone else is still on lockdown from trying to manage the virus. Imagine the investment and trade deals! Competitive global open-for-business britane, instead of crash out in an extremely depressed economy britane

I didn't know she used to stuff, any links? Her snarky dry shitposting style is great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

If you're on Virgin Media, you now have the option to pause the Sky Sports sub

Sky subscribers have had that option since the week after the EPL was postponed, presumably Virgin wanted to just pick up one month more of subs before letting it happen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Maugrim posted:

Huh. I thought youtube links set to embed so you get the thumbnail and video title. I didn't realise there was an option to suppress that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Maugrim posted:

The link auto embedded into a nice youtube video with a clear title and thumbnail on my end, have you got that disabled?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

Girlfriend has, specifically to phone people who are in isolation alone to chat to them. Very proud of her, that’s going to be tough.

At the best of times I don't think I could do that work so good on her.

I was just wondering about the delivery stuff - they say you'll need transport but don't specify if it has to be four-wheeled or not. I can easily fit even a big pharmacy order into my rucksack (and it would almost certainly be quicker for me to deliver on foot), but a decent-sized weekly shop is a very different matter (as in I can fit *my* weekly shop into it but for more than one person then at the very least poo poo's getting squished). Just wondering if anyone had got to that stage of the process and found out if there's any way of specifying how much you can carry, or to just only do pharmacy rather than food delivery.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Latest UK death 24hr death toll is reported as 43. So far it seems we haven't reached a point of having a massive ramp-up in deaths that Italy, Spain and France had.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah there will be cycles of them trying to relax things or not doing enough but theyr gonna be pushed into doing the real thing every time by waves of death

they really havent understood that the virus cannot be spun away or delayed

nah I'm saying they're not really trying to delay it, they want people to get it and get over it (one way or the other) as quickly as possible, so everyone can get back to work. The only realistic way this is done with in 12 weeks is if we build herd immunity, and the only way to do that in the near future is for people to catch it

remember how they said "no evictions during the crisis", and it turned out they just changed it from 2 to 3 months' notice, meaning evictions can still be started now and they'll actually happen in *checks calendar* 12 weeks? It feels like they're serious about that window, and their handling of this whole issue is pretty much exactly what you'd do if you wanted people to keep going out and spreading it, while giving the impression that you're trying to stop it

and I mean sure, they're idiots, but they also don't want to deal with this poo poo, with people all staying home and trying to stay healthy

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1241935285916782593

the sooner the economy is back to normal the better as far as they're concerned - and if our economies recover while rivals are still struggling, that's a win, especially when you're trying to negotiate trade deals. So what if that's the whole idea, and discovering the projected death toll was less about "oh no we need to stop this" and more "oh no, we need to look like we tried to avoid this, but we're still going for immunity"? It sure makes more sense given the handling so far and fits with general tory policy better than "they're all well-meaning dum dums"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Latest UK death 24hr death toll is reported as 43. So far it seems we haven't reached a point of having a massive ramp-up in deaths that Italy, Spain and France had.

I'm vaguely hopeful at the moment

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

I didn't know she used to stuff, any links? Her snarky dry shitposting style is great.

yeah she did a series with Peter Coffin (they're married) called Adversaries which is about criticising/making fun of marketing and ad campaigns

have a billion videos! Or like 78

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9oHQnEByWyXeSTT3Vm3oyTR-e3Tg0Vj0

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

baka kaba posted:

yeah she did a series with Peter Coffin (they're married) called Adversaries which is about criticising/making fun of marketing and ad campaigns

have a billion videos! Or like 78

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9oHQnEByWyXeSTT3Vm3oyTR-e3Tg0Vj0

oh cool! cheers, i'll check it out.

lol i've heard about "peter coffin's wife" before, in the context of Terminally Online Twitter mobs trying to cancel him over something or over, that is... not what i was expecting lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Huh. I thought youtube links set to embed so you get the thumbnail and video title. I didn't realise there was an option to suppress that.

you have to change your Thread View options in User CP otherwise Youtube links just show the url

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

NUMBER of fatalities MUST GO UP

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You can also play the video right there in the thread if you have them embedded, it's very convenient for the busy goon on the go

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Where do you see 43? BBC is reporting 28.

Independent too. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-death-toll-cases-map-latest-update-today-a9426421.html%3famp

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

England 28, UK 43

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

oh cool! cheers, i'll check it out.

lol i've heard about "peter coffin's wife" before, in the context of Terminally Online Twitter mobs trying to cancel him over something or over, that is... not what i was expecting lol

oh nah, that was some... asian woman whose pic he used? For something? I dunno I didn't follow any of that, but yeah there was definitely A Thing going on

since we're talking lefttube she was in this one too, it's pretty darn good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6o4qIMUaY

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At the best of times I don't think I could do that work so good on her.

I was just wondering about the delivery stuff - they say you'll need transport but don't specify if it has to be four-wheeled or not. I can easily fit even a big pharmacy order into my rucksack (and it would almost certainly be quicker for me to deliver on foot), but a decent-sized weekly shop is a very different matter (as in I can fit *my* weekly shop into it but for more than one person then at the very least poo poo's getting squished). Just wondering if anyone had got to that stage of the process and found out if there's any way of specifying how much you can carry, or to just only do pharmacy rather than food delivery.

Answering my own question - they ask if you have any transport *including a pushbike* in the application, and you seem to be able to pick and choose which jobs to take. So the fastest coolest delivery service in the country is about to kick off.

(They say they'll meet out-of-pocket expenses if you use your own vehicle and part of me wants to get my timing belts and desmo clearances done on their dime as my own personal bailout)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im gonna sign up for the NHS pharmacy orders and see if they'll let me do it on my bicycle. i really don't see why not.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you say what times you're available, because I've only got half a day of volunteer time left from work.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

im gonna sign up for the NHS pharmacy orders and see if they'll let me do it on my bicycle. i really don't see why not.

Like I say, they include bicycles in the "Do you have transport" question. If you have a current DBS check you could try signing up to do patient transport too! "Come on granny, get on the crossbar, we'll have you there in no time!"

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As someone who grew up in the era of Threads (and has a well-documented unhealthy obsession with trivia) you better believe I've read every single word there is about it.

Is there any books or documentaries you'd recommend about that stuff? Threads has had a hold on me lately

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You can still order from Evanscycles so i could get one of those kid carriers to put them in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Can you say what times you're available, because I've only got half a day of volunteer time left from work.

Yeah you can sign in and out as required:

https://www.goodsamapp.org/assets/pdf/Getting_started_as_a_Community_Response_Volunteer.pdf
https://www.goodsamapp.org/assets/pdf/Getting_started_as_a_NHS_Transport_Volunteer.pdf

These are the two guides they sent me.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

You can still order from Evanscycles so i could get one of those kid carriers to put them in.

Not a panier?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

desmo clearances

Like the Italian people, Italian bikes get sick unusually easily.

Japan reigns supreme.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like I say, they include bicycles in the "Do you have transport" question. If you have a current DBS check you could try signing up to do patient transport too! "Come on granny, get on the crossbar, we'll have you there in no time!"

Finally a way to find a granny who will peg me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Supaflywallace posted:

Is there any books or documentaries you'd recommend about that stuff? Threads has had a hold on me lately

Depends what you want. For the point of view of you, I, and all of the others who would definitely be dead:

The War Game, a banned 1965 BBC drama-doc about WW3 based more closely on the science than Threads, is available archive.org

The wiki page for Protect And Survive gives a pretty good summation of civil defence preparation in the late Cold War. It was not good. There's also a lot of links to the original documents.

Alas, even before the lockdown, the National Archive's legitimately scary and extremely well-done nuclear war exhibition was over, but there was talk of it being replicated at the Imperial War Museum this year - hopefully that will happen when we can go back to looking on the possiblity of extinction with a bit of nostalgia. Similarly, when the lockdown lifts, if you're anywhere in the south of the country, a visit to Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker is well worth a fiver, which brings us on to resources for the middle ranks who might or might not have lived:

The excellent and dangerously-addictive Subterranea Brittanica has a lot of good articles on the Royal Observer Corps who would have sat in little concrete boxes counting bombs going off, civil defence and Regional Seats of Government, who would have sat in little concrete boxes putting the bombs on maps and then moving nonexistent help around.

Although it's mostly about the plane itself, Greatest Living Englishman Guy Martin's doc about the last flight of the Vulcan has a lot of interviews with the pilots and crew of the bombers, and the matter-of-fact way they discuss the fact they knew it was a suicide mission is really powerful.

For the actual top-down view, Peter Hennessy's Secret State: Preparing For The Worst 1945-2010 gives about the most comprehensive view of the frankly shambolic state of our nuclear strategy and civil defence preparations, and if you want to you can follow his bibliography (mostly declassified docs in the Naitonal Archives) right down the rabbit hole.

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

it’s bollocks.

Science Media Centre has more quotes saying Study Bad.

I think what I find infuriating is not so much that the paper uses a bad approach (someone at Edinburgh posted a good summary of some of the technical issues) or questionable working to estimate parameters, or even the whole sharing it via dropbox rather than just waiting to get through the medRxiv queue.

Rather, it's the authors still pretending the frame of the criticism should even be about the accuracy of the work. The media taking published work conclusions out of context is one thing, but curling out something that is almost more press release than study, complete with some non-university PR contact and then giving a media interview where you repeat one possible interpretation as if it is an actual finding or even suggested by the model seems grossly irresponsible.

Being generous, I think the first and last authors probably just rushed out a draft while being ridiculously naive as to how the story would inevitably be reported, and are now refusing to accept they hosed up (notable that the other senior author gave a much more cautious quote in the Guardian). But their intransigence is also tarnishing by association a lot of ongoing COVID19 research that might actually be useful, so I have limited sympathy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Like the Italian people, Italian bikes get sick unusually easily.

Japan reigns supreme.

You're just jealous you're not part of the Desmodromic Brotherhood.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

Not a panier?

i was responding to the granny post. im not putting a granny in a pannier!!

(seriouspost - bag/pannier/box on the bike sucks for transporting food. it gets rattled to death. backpacks are way better)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're just jealous you're not part of the Desmodromic Brotherhood.

The AA truck passengers' brotherhood?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hemale in pain posted:

i was responding to the granny post. im not putting a granny in a pannier!!

(seriouspost - bag/pannier/box on the bike sucks for transporting food. it gets rattled to death. backpacks are way better)

All forms of transporting food by bike suck because it takes too long and arrives cold

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The solution is to put an engine on the bike. Beats the traffic and gets there in time to have not changed temperature much.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jose posted:

All forms of transporting food by bike suck because it takes too long and arrives cold

true, to be honest half the time the food is already cold when i pick up

Azza Bamboo posted:

The solution is to put an engine on the bike. Beats the traffic and gets there in time to have not changed temperature much.

waay ahead of you

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Here's the Vulcan flying at Headcorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkomLTPzAbU

And Kelvedon Hatch is well worth a visit; a very strange place.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jose posted:

Yeah but it's pretty hip

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends what you want. For the point of view of you, I, and all of the others who would definitely be dead:

The War Game, a banned 1965 BBC drama-doc about WW3 based more closely on the science than Threads, is available archive.org

The wiki page for Protect And Survive gives a pretty good summation of civil defence preparation in the late Cold War. It was not good. There's also a lot of links to the original documents.

Alas, even before the lockdown, the National Archive's legitimately scary and extremely well-done nuclear war exhibition was over, but there was talk of it being replicated at the Imperial War Museum this year - hopefully that will happen when we can go back to looking on the possiblity of extinction with a bit of nostalgia. Similarly, when the lockdown lifts, if you're anywhere in the south of the country, a visit to Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker is well worth a fiver, which brings us on to resources for the middle ranks who might or might not have lived:

The excellent and dangerously-addictive Subterranea Brittanica has a lot of good articles on the Royal Observer Corps who would have sat in little concrete boxes counting bombs going off, civil defence and Regional Seats of Government, who would have sat in little concrete boxes putting the bombs on maps and then moving nonexistent help around.

My dad was in the ROC, poo poo was surreal. When they got shuttered he ended up getting to go to a lunch party or something at Buckingham Palace which is utterly hilarious to me. And he got some silk map of part of Ukraine which a pilot would have sewn into the lining of their jacket or something so that if they got shot down they could try escape. Actually he was talking about it over dinner fairly recently, his theory was that if there was a war starting up he didn't fancy getting drafted, and he could also get access to a bunker. I still find it a bit weird that he'd volunteer for something like that because he's always been a bit of a chill stoner type. Hard to imagine him in a uniform, never mind as the ROC equivalent of a Sergeant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

The AA truck passengers' brotherhood?

Does *your* motorcycle come with a valet service that can arrange restaurant reservations for you? Who cares about reliability when with one phone call I can get someone to sort out a good hotel and tell me where the best places to buy loafers are?

(This isn't actually a joke, and neither is the Desmodromic Brotherhood thing, alas - you get free membership to the Desmo Owners Club (note - *not* the Ducati Owners Club, they really have nailed their colours to the mast of that particular drivetrain) for two years when you buy a new Ducati, which does indeed include a valet service. It's just the sort of thing you get with those silly premium credit cards/bank accounts and doesn't even give you a discount anywhere, but intriguingly will pay to bail you out of jail (you do of course have to pay them back) should the need arise. They also keep sending you letters about how special you are for owning a Ducati. TBH stuff like that has more or less made up my mind to go slinking back to Aprilia when it's time for a new bike)