Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
To be honest I never quite grasped what I was trying to do in the overworld in Xcom 2. I had the same (initial) problem in the first new Xcom when it wasn't entirely apparently I needed to build satellites in order to get income, but I figured that out after a playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

War of the Chosen is one of the best expansions I've ever seen

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mike N Eich posted:

Ok I reinstalled Xcom 2 because I’m stuck inside for weeks and all I have to play with is my MacBook. I played Xcom 2 when it released but I don’t think I even completed it - should I go out and get War of the Chosen and not even mess around with vanilla?

Out of idle interest, what's the spec of your MacBook Pro that's capable of running Xcom 2?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ynohtna posted:

Out of idle interest, what's the spec of your MacBook Pro that's capable of running Xcom 2?

Not who you're asking, but I play XCOM2 on a 2017 MacBook. From the system report:

quote:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Doesn't do all the shadows and highest-res textures and stuff, but it looks fine to me and doesn't lag or anything, even with a pile of cosmetic and map mods.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 20, 2020

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Serephina posted:

As long as you've played a bit of the Vanilla first, it's all good. They throw an awful lot of poo poo at you asap with all the extras added, and so if you're still trying to decipher the strategy layer it's going to be pretty overwhelming. But if that's not an issue, then hell yea get it all, game is gooood.

Yea sweet jesus they do throw a lot of poo poo at you early on with WoTC. I didn’t play too much of xcom2 before WoTC either and now I’ve got zombies and chosen and resistance factions and ability points etc showing up after like 4 missions. I don’t think I’ve even finished building my first facility add on yet.

What does someone’s combat intelligence mean/do?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 20, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

What does someone’s combat intelligence mean/do?

A soldier's Combat Intelligence affects how many APs they gain on promotion. You also get awarded XCOM APs for doing well in combat. APs can be spent at the Training Center facility to give a soldier additional skills from their class tree, as well as a semi-random handful of other classes' skills.

There are ways to increase your troops' Combat Intelligence, and they'll gain the extra APs retroactively. The jump from Genius to Savant is pretty huge. Psi Operatives never use APs so consider saving some of your dumber rookies for psi training.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 20, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hwurmp posted:

Psi Operatives never use APs so consider saving some of your dumber rookies for psi training.

I love this. “Well, you’re dumb as a box of rocks, so that qualifies you for the job...” checking clipboard “looks like ‘invincible brain wizard’!”

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Akratic Method posted:

I love this. “Well, you’re dumb as a box of rocks, so that qualifies you for the job...” checking clipboard “looks like ‘invincible brain wizard’!”

"You must unlearn all that you thought you knew."

"I don't know a single thing."

"Excellent"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Akratic Method posted:

Not who you're asking, but I play XCOM2 on a 2017 MacBook. From the system report:

Doesn't do all the shadows and highest-res textures and stuff, but it looks fine to me and doesn't lag or anything, even with a pile of cosmetic and map mods.

Good to know, thank you.

My much-abused refurb 2013 MBP manages EU/EW (with fans screaming). Its good to know that I may be able to experience the sequel on my next "new" machine.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Slashrat posted:

"You must unlearn all that you thought you knew."

"I don't know a single thing."

"Excellent"

Haha I'm imagining an alien being attacked by having Jason from The Good Place's thoughts beamed directly into them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Akratic Method posted:

It kinda makes sense if you think of the psykers sort of as Ork Weirdboys from WH40k. And then you can give them the Borderlands Psycho voice pack and it all clicks into place.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ynohtna posted:

Good to know, thank you.

My much-abused refurb 2013 MBP manages EU/EW (with fans screaming). Its good to know that I may be able to experience the sequel on my next "new" machine.

It ran acceptably on my 2013 MacBook Air, and runs fine on my 2017 MacBook Pro. The key thing to do is to turn down the in-game resolution, since a lower resolution means a lot less work on the crappy video cards Apple uses.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Probably been asked a million times but I'll ask anyway. I haven't played another xcom game (except the DOS one back in the 90s, which was difficult), and I grabbed XCOM2 with all the DLC for $19.99 and I'm wondering how I should go about my very first playthrough. All the DLC disabled? I'm prone to being overwhelmed. Any mods which are absolutely essential? I'm okay with going through totally vanilla if that's not a terrible idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chinook posted:

Probably been asked a million times but I'll ask anyway. I haven't played another xcom game (except the DOS one back in the 90s, which was difficult), and I grabbed XCOM2 with all the DLC for $19.99 and I'm wondering how I should go about my very first playthrough. All the DLC disabled? I'm prone to being overwhelmed. Any mods which are absolutely essential? I'm okay with going through totally vanilla if that's not a terrible idea.

Do vanilla first, to get used to the concepts, then when that playthrough crashes and burns as every first playthrough does, switch to WOTC. You don’t really need mods, though there’s some QoL ones like Evac All that cut down on busywork while leaving the gameplay unchanged.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
play with dlc enabled, except alien rulers. put it on easy, and just go with the flow. Don't stress about playing optimally, and follow the ingame instructions. You'll learn the best by playing. Don't quit if you lose operatives, just keep going.

Essential mods (install before you get other mods):
highlander (you need this otherwise lots of mods won't work!) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124609091
mod config menu (to tweak mods) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667104300

UI improvement mods (none of these change gameplay):
Show HP https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123174832
Stop wasting time https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620600092
Gotcha again https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124288875
instant menus https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124410215
evac all https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126395106
better grapple https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1486607466
better promotion screen https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124609091
extended personel info https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1458945379
detailed soldier info https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1128263618
better squad select: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1122974240
show class counts https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1291868747
target icons https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1384631824
randomize cosmetics for new recruits https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186461636
cost-based ability colors https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1289686596

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you know you get overwhelmed easily then do a first attempt on vanilla. Maybe you beat it, or just get far enough to really understand stuff, just don’t bail early because you made some mistakes.

I’ve played a lot of the newXcom1 and even with that level of familiarity I found that going into xcom2 hot with all dlc and WoTC was a whole lot of poo poo coming at you real fast. Do a vanilla run first, no mods except Gotcha Flank preview, Show Hp as Numbers and Cost Based Ability Colors.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 22, 2020

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks all.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, even if you play on normal XCOM is the kind of game where you learn by failing and making mistakes. Also note that when starting a new game and it asks about DLC its asking you if you want the DLC stories, not the content. The plots do a good job of setting it up for you, but it gives you a very non randomized first few months, and all of the DLC missions can be ignored oretty much until you want to do them. Theyre worth doing once but thats it, IMO. After that you get all the content but its just worked into the game, so you have a more random, XCOM experience.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
OMG I just realized the pre-game splash screen was asking if I wanted to play xcom2 OR wotc, not telling me I had both installed.

I had no idea I was playing vanilla this whole time. Just waiting for the wotc content to kick in, wondering where it was.

Oh well. Vanilla is a good game everybody.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ive done that multiple times in XCOM2 and with EW/EU.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Judge Schnoopy posted:

OMG I just realized the pre-game splash screen was asking if I wanted to play xcom2 OR wotc, not telling me I had both installed.

I had no idea I was playing vanilla this whole time. Just waiting for the wotc content to kick in, wondering where it was.

Oh well. Vanilla is a good game everybody.

Oh man get ready for an even BETTER game then!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm going through my first playthrough of XCom2 vanilla since launch (I also didn't finish that run) and I just got through the first Blacksite - hoo boy I team wiped my first try in (I still have ballistics and default armor) and maybe tried it too early. I tried it again and moving methodically and carefully through the entire time while wiping out dudes from afar with my sniper on a roof and that was one of the most gratifying things I've done in a video game.

Also had a mission where i had all but one of my dudes in the Evac before the timer ran out - he got captured. Doing a little bit of research I see that there are missions where you can go rescue your own dudes later? That loving rules. Can't wait to No Man Left Behind that dude.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One design decision I 100% disagree with was the decision to make it highly difficult to evac from the black site if it goes sideways. In vanilla it's often presented as your third or fourth mission, they tell you to prep for a tough mission but often you lack proper resources to prep and difficulty scales with time spent not visiting, I recall encountering a sectopod there once! I think a compromise solution of letting you call for an evac at the cost of holding out against some basic advent trooper reinforcement drops would be a good compromise that wouldn't make it too easy but for the unprepared it wouldn't be a big problem either. As is I think I can count the number of times I've had a bad run on the black site and successfully gotten anyone out alive on one finger.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm going through my first playthrough of XCom2 vanilla since launch (I also didn't finish that run) and I just got through the first Blacksite - hoo boy I team wiped my first try in (I still have ballistics and default armor) and maybe tried it too early. I tried it again and moving methodically and carefully through the entire time while wiping out dudes from afar with my sniper on a roof and that was one of the most gratifying things I've done in a video game.

Also had a mission where i had all but one of my dudes in the Evac before the timer ran out - he got captured. Doing a little bit of research I see that there are missions where you can go rescue your own dudes later? That loving rules. Can't wait to No Man Left Behind that dude.

Just be aware, those spawn in place of the occasional "Council Mission" style missions, where you either have to rescue a friendly VIP or subdue a Dark VIP. And it can be rare. It is *not* a guarantee you're ever gonna see him again. And if you do, it may well have been long enough that you've since replaced him.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Ah, that's good to know. He's not like, essential essential, just a nice thing to know I may see him again.

I've finally reached a level of stabilization in my playthrough. I know people like to rag on the new XCom games for starting out hard and getting easier as the game goes along, but there is a nice feeling of satisfaction when you turn the corner and you feel like you're established. It's stressful as heck to run from crisis to crisis, and its nice to have a little breathing room. Now we punish the Aliens.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I played through Long War recently with a lot of scumming. Trying out WotC on Ironman and commander difficulty. It’s crazy how variable the difficulty is early on - get a medium difficulty mission with a couple pods of Advent and snake men, no problem, the latest in a series of flawless missions. Next, get an asset mission with the lost, and the first turn the Advent activate the officer chucks a grenade, summons a host of lost that swarm my guys, the lost get the next turn and beat two of my guys to death before I get to act. Ended up evacuating, which I never did my first play through. It’s fun, but harsh. Also the Hunter is an rear end in a top hat, with his grapple he makes cover pointless and I don’t know if there was AI involved but he shot out my one guy with a medical kit.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
What's a good rule of thumb for what tech I should have by when (in vanilla)? I feel like I'm losing ground against the aliens, and I can't tell if it's because my gear isn't up to snuff or if I just need to get better at the tactical side of things.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
How does WOTC run on a PS4 compared to vanilla? Any difference?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Mostly fine. Occasionally everything breaks and you need to reset but in my recollection the same happened in the base game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I’ve heard the tip is to always clear out your photo collection, or by the end of the game all the propaganda posters will cause constant crashes

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 25, 2020

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Velius posted:

I played through Long War recently with a lot of scumming. Trying out WotC on Ironman and commander difficulty. It’s crazy how variable the difficulty is early on - get a medium difficulty mission with a couple pods of Advent and snake men, no problem, the latest in a series of flawless missions. Next, get an asset mission with the lost, and the first turn the Advent activate the officer chucks a grenade, summons a host of lost that swarm my guys, the lost get the next turn and beat two of my guys to death before I get to act. Ended up evacuating, which I never did my first play through. It’s fun, but harsh. Also the Hunter is an rear end in a top hat, with his grapple he makes cover pointless and I don’t know if there was AI involved but he shot out my one guy with a medical kit.

The hunter is the most variable of the chosen. Sometimes he does nothing but that dumb sniper shot thats easy to evade and you just dunk on him. But sometimes the environment lines up just right with his abilities and he becomes a vengeful spirit of death, flying all over the place and critting your flanked dudes over and over

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

FredMSloniker posted:

What's a good rule of thumb for what tech I should have by when (in vanilla)? I feel like I'm losing ground against the aliens, and I can't tell if it's because my gear isn't up to snuff or if I just need to get better at the tactical side of things.

I think you'll want mag weapons by the May? retaliation or you'll have problems with berserkers. Might be June I can't remember. Anyway other than resistance comms I just beeline mag and gauss weapons and don't really have problems staying ahead of the curve. The time at the end of ballistic weapons is probably the roughest of the game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve heard the tip is to always clear out your photo collection, or by the end of the game all the propaganda posters will cause constant crashes

Huh I wonder if this is why I was getting constant crashes on PC, I have hundreds of hours and never cleared that folder

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The only crash I get is, consistently, when I do the Psi Gate story mission, it crashes when the Hunter or Warlock are revealed. No idea why--I don't have any mods that affect Chosen, for example--but it does happen pretty often and I've had to start using console commands to just end the mission when I get to the back of the map where the Hunter or Warlock are hiding out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Half the time I can't even load the game anymore

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

If you are losing ground I'd suggest pushing harder for the unique ammo types in the proving ground. Getting some talon rounds, AP rounds or tracer rounds going will propel you pretty far even on ballistics alone. Add some shredder promotion heavies to the mix and I think you will find things much more manageable.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FredMSloniker posted:

Possibly both! But seriously, the others covered it well: Rushing Teir2 weapons & armour over all the other toys gives you the most breathing room, and there are certain other tools that are strong but niche (bluescreen rounds, mimic beacons) but they're easier to know how to break once you've played the game already. So go for teir2 guns & armour.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

I usually try to get the second tier of equipment around the time mutons show up. You really don't want to be fighting those guys without advanced weapon and armor for too long, otherwise you'll be taking heavy losses every encounter.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I want to get back into XCOM 2, and I decided add some mods. Well the game crashed on startup. So I disable some mods trying to root out the problematic one, and I get down my whole list until nothing is selected... And it still crashes. But when I click "disable mods", it launched fine. I'm confused, I have to be doing something obvious wrong. I'm launching WoTC with WoTC mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

babypolis posted:

The hunter is the most variable of the chosen. Sometimes he does nothing but that dumb sniper shot thats easy to evade and you just dunk on him. But sometimes the environment lines up just right with his abilities and he becomes a vengeful spirit of death, flying all over the place and critting your flanked dudes over and over

sometimes he just decides he's over this poo poo and instantly drops that bleedout shot on your favorite gi joe and very abruptly it's less about killing him and more about just breaking even.