Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am the lone weirdo outside iD's office demanding they port the entire iD RPG games collection to modern hardware and so if it only takes me until 2023 for a reboot Ill be way ahead of schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

I am the lone weirdo outside iD's office demanding they port the entire iD RPG games collection to modern hardware and so if it only takes me until 2023 for a reboot Ill be way ahead of schedule

I want to play Wolfenstein RPG so bad. :negative:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Barudak posted:

you have my axe

edit: honestly.........a wheel-and-spoke psudeo open world on earth where you help ARC forces retake demon infested zones would not be the worst idea in the world for doom 2024

ETPC fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 25, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

I too am loudly hollering for this to happen, but the entire Id Mobile thing was heavily tied to Carmack and his wife so odds are there's some corporate-politics issues to get over before that can happen, to say nothing of all the other things Id's coders probably have on their plate before they can get around to resurrecting some ancient XCode projects. :(

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cat Mattress posted:

It would have been somewhat tolerable if it was just the UAC's corporate newspeak, but the ARC broadcasts use it too, and that's just completely stupid.

So do the actual cultists. You hear it on the announcements in the cultist base.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Eric Brosius: Hrm. I think I will juxtapose the Thief universe's anachronistic technological and sociopolitical aspects by fusing dark ambient soundscapes and analogs of medieval instrumentation with industrial drones and various electronic subgenres such as drum n' bass and house.

Me:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol come on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Linguica posted:

lol come on

"huge guts" is also the first words out of the doom slayer's mouth when he speaks in a flashback cutscene later on and I think that's the point where my eyes finally rolled all the way around and I wrote off Eternal's storyline entirely and tried to focus on the action.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
they could have had them say anything and they chose to make them say that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
still cant fuckin believe they had doomguy talk

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Linguica posted:

lol come on

the "pinching out a huge turd" pose is unintentionally perfect.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
i've got abs of steel

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I didn't really mind the flashback actually. It was silly and linked back to the old Doom stuff which was a breath of fresh air from the endless torrent of stupid exposition about sentinels and makers and whatever other poo poo that nobody in the world cares about. It was dumb but somehow it was the least dumb thing in Eternal's story.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
id probably have given it a pass if he was voiced by romero

site fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 25, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so eternal WAS the shadow warrior 2 to doom 2016's shadow warrior remake

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

Eternal has its issues, but it's nowhere near the whacky mess they made of SW2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah actually if I look at Rage to Rage 2, Shadow Warrior 2013 to Shadow Warrior 2, or Doom 2016 to Doom: Eternal, I've noticed a lot of similarities--not necessarily between any two sequels (for instance, I'm not saying that Shadow Warrior 2 is like Doom: Eternal)--but, rather, in the significant changes from previous game to sequel (new mechanics, multiple overlapping systems, MUCH busier experiences, etc.) such that they feel way different than the games that came before them. Like a lot more different than, say, Wolfenstein TNO to Wolfenstein TNC or even something like Bioshock 1 to 2.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 25, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom Eternal got a lot better when I realized that he's not the Doom 64 guy, he's actually John Stalvern

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barudak posted:

Or just release the source code like the good old days and let people make sourceports.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't entirely get the complaints about overlapping upgrade systems and stuff being different from Doom 2016 because it's the exact same upgrades with the exact same currencies earned in the exact same ways as Doom 2016.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
My complaint with the upgrade system is that doomguy doesn't punch the weapon mod drone now.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
The one recurring/baffling complaint I've seen about Doom Eternal is about the game having too many new gameplay mechanics. I agree that there's a learning curve compared to the last game and that the pace of the game is significantly altered (for the better IMO) but it's not like the new stuff is situational or useless bloat either.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Bah, I forgot "I Own Doom" in Doom 64 was the equivalent of Hurt Me Plenty. Whatever, I just want to get to the new stuff. I'll play that on "Watch Me Die"; shouldn't be too tough, then I can replay the regular campaign on that for the Doom WAD Club. Midway's mappers really did a great job on Doom 64's levels; everything's tight and focused, tricky in parts but without too much backtracking over big areas. I still suck at finding secrets, though; some things never change.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gobblecoque posted:

My complaint with the upgrade system is that doomguy doesn't punch the weapon mod drone now.

Vega is his friend now! :haw:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

If we're getting Gears: Tactics, we deserve Doom: Tactics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Plan Z posted:

If we're getting Gears: Tactics, we deserve Doom: Tactics.

That's basically Doom RL though and it is pretty good

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The one recurring/baffling complaint I've seen about Doom Eternal is about the game having too many new gameplay mechanics. I agree that there's a learning curve compared to the last game and that the pace of the game is significantly altered (for the better IMO) but it's not like the new stuff is situational or useless bloat either.

When the game introduced the flame belch and expected me to juggle that for armour, alongside the increased chainsaw use, enemy weakpoints, grenades, switching weapon mods, etc is when my brain shut down from mechanic overload. Then I swapped down to HMP and never worried about it again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Weird Sandwich posted:

When the game introduced the flame belch and expected me to juggle that for armour, alongside the increased chainsaw use, enemy weakpoints, grenades, switching weapon mods, etc is when my brain shut down from mechanic overload. Then I swapped down to HMP and never worried about it again.

weakpoints, grenades, weapon mods, that's all optional. Those are just tools to be more effective but aren't as necessary as the other mechanics.

The things you do have to do are chainsaw and glory kill, and flamethrower sure helps. But you super don't need to do weakpoints or juggle weapon mods, you can play through a whole level with just one gun as long as you glory kill and chainsaw every so often.

But like you said, HMP or cheats means you can just say "gently caress it" if you want :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Flame Belch is often most practical to just spew on a group of fodder enemies right before you chainsaw one of them or lob a grenade at them

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Flame Belch is often most practical to just spew on a group of fodder enemies right before you chainsaw one of them or lob a grenade at them

Yeah my go-to move is just to hit flamethrower -> grenade occasionally and then you can scoop up max armor. The cluster bomb grenade upgrade means it'll absolutely clear a group of burning mooks no problemo.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Zaphod42 posted:

weakpoints, grenades, weapon mods, that's all optional. Those are just tools to be more effective but aren't as necessary as the other mechanics.

The things you do have to do are chainsaw and glory kill, and flamethrower sure helps. But you super don't need to do weakpoints or juggle weapon mods, you can play through a whole level with just one gun as long as you glory kill and chainsaw every so often.

But like you said, HMP or cheats means you can just say "gently caress it" if you want :)

Yeah, I don't consider it to be a problem with the game, but I do understand why people complain about too many mechanics. It can be overwhelming if you try to incorporate everything into your playstyle as soon as its introduced, especially if you're an overconfident fool like me and start on UV.

And while a lot of that is optional, exploiting weakpoints is so useful that it practically becomes necessary unless you want to make the game much harder.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Almost at the end of Eternal, and how love how they're not just taking elements from Doom 2 but a LOT from 64 as well. The nightmare imps, the unmaker, the more industrial hell and the Khan Maykr as the Mother Demon are all great. I love the story, but think it's extremely messily told. A lot of the lore from Sentinal Prime and onwards should have been placed in the second map, so that the player has an actual grasp at what's going on and what the stakes are.

My personal theory is that the story was, after the combat, the second aspect of the game that was influenced by From Software. Like Dark Souls, you learn more and more about the setting and your role by combining the little bits of lore, and the whole story only becomes clear on a second playthrough. But unlike Dark Souls, Doom is part of a series where the storytelling has always been very upfront. That sets expectations which make Eternal confusing, and the bad writing of certain parts definitely doesn't help.

Nonetheless, by the time you reach the last third of the game, there's some great storytelling in there. I was invested as gently caress in the history of Argent D'Nur and how it interweaves with your own, and it makes me wish for an Elder Scrolls game with Doom combat set in that era.

By the way, am I the only one who feels that if we ignore Quake Champions, the first Quake was definitely set during the height of theArgent Empire?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I'm playing on Nightmare and usually poo poo is too frantic for me to remember the flamebreath attack, but what I do end up doing is getting a heavy enemy into the Glory Kill state, setting them on fire, and then killing them for a quick armor pinata that I barely have to think about.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zaphod42 posted:

That's basically Doom RL though and it is pretty good

yeah for the record i don't know how many regulars of this thread have played doomrl before but it's easily one of the most well-constructed roguelikes i've ever played and it really captures doom well, from the aesthetics down to the general feel of encounters in some respects.

https://drl.chaosforge.org/

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Like, the director of NuDoom said he enjoys the SoulsBorne style of story telling and actively seeks to emulate it, at least in part?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DoomRL is good and the ritzy numbers-filed-off steam version Jupiter Hell is also good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m playing on ultraviolent and it feel like using all the enemy and weapon gimmicks is basically mandatory.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

haveblue posted:

I’m playing on ultraviolent and it feel like using all the enemy and weapon gimmicks is basically mandatory.

Yah pretty much. For the people who don’t want to engage with that stuff, the game pretty much says straight up to pick a lower difficulty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

My personal theory is that the story was, after the combat, the second aspect of the game that was influenced by From Software. Like Dark Souls, you learn more and more about the setting and your role by combining the little bits of lore, and the whole story only becomes clear on a second playthrough. But unlike Dark Souls, Doom is part of a series where the storytelling has always been very upfront. That sets expectations which make Eternal confusing, and the bad writing of certain parts definitely doesn't help.

Yeah that's a really good callout. It feels awkward saying "its like dark souls" because that's so much the jerkoff buzzword de jour of gaming right now, and often doesn't mean what its supposed to. But the way the story is told does to me feel like they were going for a dark souls-y style of revealing and mystery, and I think that can be a good fit for Doom.

However, like you said, this is a game in a series, and changing storytelling styles is going to throw people off who come in with certain expectations. That's a totally fair point. Its like Matrix 2 vs Matrix 1 being a different tone and style, or MGS2 vs MGS1 having a different protagonist, people go into a sequel with certain expectations and changing those without properly preparing people can make them frustrated.

haveblue posted:

On nightmare it may be but on UV it definitely isn't. You do have to stay very mobile and use lots of glory kills and chainsaw, but you can get by with just the plasma or rocket launcher or chaingun or arbalest or SSG or most guns if you really want to. Swapping guns doesn't hurt, like someone mentioned in the doom eternal thread, its like in other FPS how if you try to snipe with a shotgun its not going to be super effective either, but you don't have to do things like snipe the turret on the spiders or grenade the cacos. There's plenty of other ways to kill them and some are seriously just as fast.

It is more of a problem earlier on when you have fewer tools, once you have more upgrades and more guns its not a problem though. Or at least, for myself personally I was playing on UV and found that I could go for a long stretch just using one gun without thinking about it, or because I was fishing to get a weapon unlock.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

its annoying in the first couple levels with the baby spiders but you get used to it pretty quickly and I basically stopped thinking about them by the time i had the balista and SSG which just reward you for always going centre mass

drrockso20 posted:

I just hit it when I notice i'm surrounded by enemies mid glory kill. press r, do a quick 360 whip with the mouse and then drop grenades everywhere