Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why can't people just pirate poo poo without trying to get sanctimonious about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Probably more like three years but yeah, you can guarantee beyond any doubt that China is going to do whatever they can to use this as a basis for designing domestic GPUs.

Comrade Xi please give us cheap 5700XTs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Seamonster posted:

Please don't take us back to TempleOS

The prodigal Sun Workstation?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
xxXsoullessXxx

of course

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Malcolm XML posted:

xxXsoullessXxx

of course

i hope hackers and scenesters have those sorts of names forever.

apparently leaked a second chunk today too on github that i wont link but you can easily find

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

WhyteRyce posted:

Why can't people just pirate poo poo without trying to get sanctimonious about it

That's fandoms for you.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Has the possibility of running 4x8GB DIMMs at 3200MHz improved since the initial Ryzen launch? I have a Ryzen 1700 and ASRock AB350M Pro4 that isn't stable with all four. Two seems to be okay although I haven't been playing games lately and that was mostly when I had issues before. I recently installed a new CPU cooler and have much better temperatures - probably just a bad install job with the stock one - so I was hoping that might help, but I couldn't even get it to start Windows with all four still. Memory is GSkill FlareX.

I should probably just sell the extra two regardless, since I don't really need 32GB. Just curious if a new motherboard or motherboard and CPU would more likely handle it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

zerofunk posted:

Has the possibility of running 4x8GB DIMMs at 3200MHz improved since the initial Ryzen launch? I have a Ryzen 1700 and ASRock AB350M Pro4 that isn't stable with all four. Two seems to be okay although I haven't been playing games lately and that was mostly when I had issues before. I recently installed a new CPU cooler and have much better temperatures - probably just a bad install job with the stock one - so I was hoping that might help, but I couldn't even get it to start Windows with all four still. Memory is GSkill FlareX.

I should probably just sell the extra two regardless, since I don't really need 32GB. Just curious if a new motherboard or motherboard and CPU would more likely handle it.

I have no issues running 4x8 for 32GB at 3200CL12 and 3600CL18, it is B-die.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

sincx posted:

I have 4x16GB of dual rank Micron E-die running perfectly at 3733 MHz/CL16/1.4V on a 3900X/X470, with 1:1 infinity fabric. Zen 2's IMC is much better.

pixaal posted:

I have no issues running 4x8 for 32GB at 3200CL12 and 3600CL18, it is B-die.

Good to know. Thank you both.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You might have to give it a bit more voltage but yeah, Zen 2 is much less picky with memory.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You'll definitely need a new CPU first if you want to run higher RAM clocks, a new mainboard alone will almost certainly not improve the speed with a Ryzen 1700. Getting over 2933 MT/s on first generation Ryzen was usually a major success already and you're not making it better with 4 DIMMs :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So... I'm still confused as to what actually got "leaked". Is it actual Verilog/VHDL/RTL for their GPUs, by way of OVM/UVM testbenches?

Or a bunch of code that reveals the innards of their drivers and therefore probably internals (register maps/command interfaces/etc.) to the GPU?

This isn't AMD, but here is a fascinating read / description of NVIDIA's Falcon: http://download.nvidia.com/open-gpu-doc/Falcon-Security/1/Falcon-Security.html

And slides that detail more of it: https://riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Tue1345pm-NVIDIA-Sijstermans.pdf

If it shows details of how AMD's equivalent of the deeply embedded controllers work, that could be a bad thing(TM).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Right now it seems to be the "hacker" (way more likely to be an insider than an actual hacker imo) claiming they have everything, and websites and stuff claiming they have nothing. Guess we will find out! Unless AMD pays off the leaker like most companies do.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I know it's probably not all that interesting, but I just bought a (brand new) Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, and it has both Ryzen 2000 and Ryzen 3000 ready stickers on it.
So even older boards have been continuously updated, which was a pleasant surprise.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 28, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there a 6C/12T or 8C/16T APU in AMD's lineup somewhere in the future?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

teagone posted:

Is there a 6C/12T or 8C/16T APU in AMD's lineup somewhere in the future?

Soon. The part already exists in laptops, but mobile is going to get priority because of the higher profit margins. Desktop APUs were supposed to launch with the B550 and A520 chipsets, but they have been repeatedly delayed. So... any time now?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nice. I'm curious to how much performance gain I'd see over the 2200G in my Steam server.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Got all my parts today and got the 3700x up and running with zero issue. Half Life Alyx runs like a dream now.

And it is terrifying.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Review embargo for the Zen 2 based 8 core 4800/4900 laptop CPUs was today and the general consensus is that they are Good.

Most people got a ROG Zephyrus G14, and the biggest knock against the CPU in the design is that it gets a bit hot and the fans can be annoying... but its faster or equal to the much hotter, louder 9980HK models its competing against while being also way thinner and way lighter.

Obviously there are other more important niches in the laptop world than 35-45w desktop replacements and Ice Lake is mondo good in the thin and light world etc... but I'm pretty sure this is the first time since the 486 era that the highest possible performance laptop you can buy does not have an Intel sticker on the lid.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd be interested in a 15" version that has more breathing room. The Verge wrote they think there's some thermal limitation from how thin it is. If it's for games I want a 15" anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd be interested in a 15" version that has more breathing room. The Verge wrote they think there's some thermal limitation from how thin it is. If it's for games I want a 15" anyway.

It's hard to say. Jarrodstech measured a full 35w CPU and 65w GPU power draw for sustained periods under load. If those measurements were accurate, then they were hitting their full TDP.

I think most of the 15" versions will likely have the H rather than HS processors since the chassis are used to having 45w parts from Intel in them.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Got all my parts today and got the 3700x up and running with zero issue. Half Life Alyx runs like a dream now.

And it is terrifying.

Hahaha it is, drat it has some gory stuff in it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

Review embargo for the Zen 2 based 8 core 4800/4900 laptop CPUs was today and the general consensus is that they are Good.

Most people got a ROG Zephyrus G14, and the biggest knock against the CPU in the design is that it gets a bit hot and the fans can be annoying... but its faster or equal to the much hotter, louder 9980HK models its competing against while being also way thinner and way lighter.

Obviously there are other more important niches in the laptop world than 35-45w desktop replacements and Ice Lake is mondo good in the thin and light world etc... but I'm pretty sure this is the first time since the 486 era that the highest possible performance laptop you can buy does not have an Intel sticker on the lid.

Good doesn't seem to fully cover it, it's absolutely trouncing the poo poo out of everything and Zen+ APUs are especially getting trashed, the 3750H was AMD's best before and it's probably not even going to match the low end SKUs for Ryzen Mobile 4000. I'm thinking when the midrange SKU's start dropping towards the end of the year (if civilization still exists) I'll get a 4600U 15" for school and travel.

4000 series desktop APUs are going to be lit though, it's clear they're essentially direct competitors to Intel iGPU enabled SKUs and they'll probably get priced accordingly. For SFF they'll dominate, I don't think Intel has a reasonable competitor and won't for at least a full year if not 18 months.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

EmpyreanFlux posted:

4000 series desktop APUs are going to be lit though, it's clear they're essentially direct competitors to Intel iGPU enabled SKUs and they'll probably get priced accordingly. For SFF they'll dominate, I don't think Intel has a reasonable competitor and won't for at least a full year if not 18 months.

Maybe not Intel but they'll have to compete against the lower end Zen 3 SKUs. Wonder if the improvements will make up for the chiplet design at 45W.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do any of these reviews go into the performance of the iGPU? The ones I keep seeing all seem to be for laptops that already have a dedicated GPU like a 1650 anyway

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Sure do: https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

They're using a system with dual channel DDR4 3200 in it + the near top end APU so you'll need a similarly spec'd system to get their numbers (the RAM will probably matter most for iGPU perf) but generally gaming performance is 30%+ better than the R7-3750H at 1080p and the R7-3750H usually meet or beat anything Intel had for iGPU performance.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

gradenko_2000 posted:

do any of these reviews go into the performance of the iGPU? The ones I keep seeing all seem to be for laptops that already have a dedicated GPU like a 1650 anyway

Techspot has iGPU benchmarks - https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

It's now better than the cheapest NV discrete chips, the MX GPU's. It's still only about half as fast as a GTX 1650 Max-Q in a GPU bottlenecked situation, but if you play at low settings which are more CPU bound, it competes a lot better.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Arzachel posted:

Maybe not Intel but they'll have to compete against the lower end Zen 3 SKUs. Wonder if the improvements will make up for the chiplet design at 45W.

AMD vs AMD has been the status quo in the DIY market for the last 18 months or so, I don't really see that changing in the foreseeable future. The R5 4600 is going to make the R5 3600 the R5 1600 AF for budget building and I don't really see a counter to that. Rocketlake i3s (4C/8T) would have to be priced at under 99$ and unlocked to be competitive, and recent Cometlake leaks indicates that's a big no from Intel.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Techspot has iGPU benchmarks - https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

It's now better than the cheapest NV discrete chips, the MX GPU's. It's still only about half as fast as a GTX 1650 Max-Q in a GPU bottlenecked situation, but if you play at low settings which are more CPU bound, it competes a lot better.

That's pretty cool!

I don't know if it's possible to get a clear comparison, but does anyone know roughly how much discrete MX graphics add to the cost of a given laptop?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's really impressive.

If the world's still here in six months (or whenever) I'd like to do a GPU-less desktop-Renoir build.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Having never overclocked ram before, I'm assuming I just use the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, go into my BIOS, input everything it says, and then stress test?

With normal OC'ing i'm pretty comfortable dialing it in, but there are like 30 fields for RAM and I'm out of my depth. If I use the DRAM calc and it's not stable, I wouldn't know where to begin troubleshooting besides the voltage.

There are probably a ton right now, but does anyone have a good reference guide or youtube video for me to soak up?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Use Thaiphoon Burner first to verify what actual memory chips you have on the DIMMs unless you're popping heatspreaders off.

Then feed that info into the DRAM calc. Remember that the memory controller, DIMM quality and BIOS are ultimately the gatekeepers. DRAM calculator values are just "this should work" sort of suggestions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EmpyreanFlux posted:

The R5 4600 is going to make the R5 3600 the R5 1600 AF for budget building and I don't really see a counter to that.

Eh, the 3600 will stop being produced once the 4000 series comes out. AMD keeps making 12nm chips because they have cheap fab capacity at GloFlo.

Penpal posted:

Having never overclocked ram before, I'm assuming I just use the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, go into my BIOS, input everything it says, and then stress test?

With normal OC'ing i'm pretty comfortable dialing it in, but there are like 30 fields for RAM and I'm out of my depth. If I use the DRAM calc and it's not stable, I wouldn't know where to begin troubleshooting besides the voltage.

If you've never OCed ram before, the first thing you should do is read some articles about it so you know what the fields mean and how ram works. Because there's no real shortcut for OCing ram, the calculator *is* the shortcut. That gives you a starting place that may work or at least give you something to aim for. The rest of the process is twiddling numbers, stress testing, repeat. You want to do it scientifically and change one setting at a time.

OTOH a lot of those fields you can kinda just ignore because there's not much benefit from shaving an extra 2 cycles off the tWGAF time. The main 4, tRFC, and tREFI (if available) are where you get 95% of the performance impact. If the fast preset doesn't work, try numbers halfway between safe and fast for the rest of them.

It's extremely tedious and there's not much middle ground between just loading XMP auto-timings and going mega-sperg.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I think I finally reached the promised land on Ryzen 3000, hitting DDR4-3800 to max out the speed of the infinity fabric before going into 2:1 mode. Got stuck on DDR4-3600 CL14 for a long time, none of the timings and voltages I would use on various Ryzen DRAM calculators would work for me past DDR4-3600 CL14 using their more generic Samsung B-die settings. I thought it was more likely that I just had a CPU that didn't want to do a 1900 FCLK, as that is uncommon. I saw posts about using Taiphoon Burner to import RAM settings and decided to do that, which lead to Ryzen DRAM calculator spitting out totally different sets of timings and voltages, which upon testing so far look stable at DDR4-3800 CL16. Lowered my latency a bit more over my old timings, which looks to be the secret to top Ryzen 3000 performance, it responds super well to tight timings to push latency down for single core tasks in particular. Did the Aida64 latency test and got down to 63.4ns, was about 65ns or so previously. Got more tests to run to ensure full stability, but I'm excited to be pushing basically peak performance out the CPU.

I also started trying out undervolting, despite AMD saying that it should not work at all with how they've tuned things. Did a -.05v undervolt and the CPU has responded well so far, in Cinebench R20 I'm getting scores in the 7350 range now as I'm staying below the soft thermal cap of 75C Ryzen 3000 has before it starts its internal underclocking measures. Stock performance is usually in the 6900 range. I'm only losing out on those who do straight all-core overclocks at this point, but that comes at the expense of single-thread performance which I'm not trying to sacrifice for gaming performance purposes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed my new Corsair 3200 RAM is running at 1T instead of the older 2T on my Intel boards. This seems good. Is it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sincx posted:

I used the "safe" numbers on everything except for CAS latency where I used the "fast" number, and it just worked (at 1.4V).

If you're juicing it up to 1.4v you should def look at lowering your tRFC, from various articles I've read that is a significant performance boost and a thing that gets a lot of extra leverage from more volts.

(tRFC = recharging the memory cells, during which time it can't do any IO. Extra volts charge it faster but lower the potential lifespan of the memory. Though memory lifespan tends to be "forever" so it generally isn't a problem.)

redeyes posted:

I just noticed my new Corsair 3200 RAM is running at 1T instead of the older 2T on my Intel boards. This seems good. Is it?

Yes :toot:
(1T/2T = ticks between consecutive commands)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Man, i never thought I'd see the day AMD would allow tighter RAM timings than Intel. Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

They haven't still learned the lesson that no one cares and you won't ever get any problems as long as you pirate without making a noise about it. In other words, just don't tell anybody about your immoral habits. Life is suddendly a lot easier!