Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Man, the old guard is gone.
So who is the oldest timer left?

Kim Stradlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Honestly I want more Edge than anything, now. Seems like a lot of the bigger personalities are there now.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
https://twitter.com/stephenfishbach/status/1242973234972131328

Stephen has a point I forgot about

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

AGGGH

The show set us up to get mad at that one.

Wendell being a villain is not just editing, seeing as Yul felt the need to talk to him. And now another old schooler out!

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I didn't expect this from Sandra. It makes some sense for her, but still a little disappointing.
I agree with it. For someone like her, EI is fake hope. It’s a scam. You’re already voted out, there’s no way you can get back in, yet there’s supposed to be shame in “quitting”?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wanna know who did the Koreaboo "Yul hyung" vote

Robnoxious posted:

So who is the oldest timer left?

Kim Stradlin?

Tyson is from Tocantins, which was what, S17 or 18? I think he's the only one who played pre-HvV.

E: lol how did I forget Tyson is already gone

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Is that what people were referencing when they were mad at him for wasting time? I didn’t know what they were talking about and was thinking something wasn’t shown.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Had to be Nick cause we saw Wendell's vote and the other Yul vote was more "girl-like" lettering if that makes sense.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fast Luck posted:

Is that what people were referencing when they were mad at him for wasting time? I didn’t know what they were talking about and was thinking something wasn’t shown.

I also was (and remain) confused. Though it would be uncharacteristically bad editing for them not to show it, and nothing else even comes close.

Also anyone on the team had somewhere they could've saved three seconds, can't hang it all on one team member. Even if he's otherwise a jackass.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Sucks we're not getting Jury Sandra. Bummed about that boot too even though it's clear he was never going to make it to the end. Oh well, merge looks like it's going to be exciting with the game this wide open.

Also I'm glad to see Michele flexing her social game this season. She got a lot of undeserved hate for her win just because a bunch of fans were butthurt their favorite wasn't the cast favorite.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I cracked up at Rob and his fire-token finding shenanigans

Also any two time winner that comes from this gets an asterisk compared to Sandra because a two time winner is of course a guarantee since everyone has won once!

This season's vote outs are a major bummer and it's one the biggest problems with modern survivor. The best, most likable people get voted out because people are afraid they will be unbeatable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pinterest Mom posted:

gotta make sure you dont confuse him with any of the other Yuls on the season

Robnoxious posted:

Had to be Nick cause we saw Wendell's vote and the other Yul vote was more "girl-like" lettering if that makes sense.

it doesn't make sense

Unison
Oct 12, 2005
I was excited by his last minute Machiavellian turn, but Yul is boring, so bye.

The Michelle / Sophie edits are definitely setting them up to go the distance.

Adam's edit, though... I almost would feel bad for him if he wasn't such a consistently terrible player.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

it doesn't make sense
I knew this was going to come up.

Women's handwriting has more broadstrokes and flair whether they intend it or not.

Having been raised in a household being the only male sibling with two older sisters I've been accustomed to my very basic and utilitarian way of writing (The "Yul Hyung" Vote Nick made) versus than that of my sister's.
Michelle didn't need to leave hearts and sparkles and glitter as her vote was revealed (which was the last one shown) to prove to me that vote was hers.
It was.
And I'll leave it as that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, now I'm bummed. I now have a deeply emotional dislike for Nick and Michelle for siding with Wendell and voting out Yul. I'm sure i can understand it from a "Yul is a win threat and Wendell is blowing his game" sense but I don't care and I'm sad and mad.

I can't say I was surprised or disappointed that Sandra peaced out. I mean, I don't admire it or anything but she obviously doesn't think she has anything to prove or gain and she probably ain't winning her way back in so like... yeah, I can't argue. Happy trails.

Ethan. :sympathy:

Rob's an amusing scoundrel.

I'm bummed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Women's handwriting has more broadstrokes and flair whether they intend it or not.

Having been raised in a household being the only male sibling with two older sisters I've been accustomed to my very basic and utilitarian way of writing (The "Yul Hyung" Vote Nick made) versus than that of my sister's.
Michelle didn't need to leave hearts and sparkles and glitter as her vote was revealed (which was the last one shown) to prove to me that vote was hers.
It was.

:biotruths: lmaoooooooo

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Robnoxious posted:

It was.

Your sample size of 3 is convincing.

Here I'll join in on dumb projection: I bet whoever wrote "Yul hyung" is a fan of The Genius because they're playing a tv show game and that's where I first encountered the word hyung!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yul :smith:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
One player is going to win two million dollars.

One player (so far) is going to get a roughly two and half all expenses paid resort vacation.

The rest of the players are going to starve on an island for nothing.

If you don’t think you have a shot at being the winner, Option 2 seems like a real smart move.

I remember seeing this years ago and have no memory of who said it or when it was said, but at some point someone affiliated with the show said if you don’t win, the second best place to be in is the first person voted out.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 26, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidBloomberg/status/1242981262576451589

https://twitter.com/DavidBloomberg/status/1242983160260026368

Where do you guys stand on whether Sandra "quit the game" or not?

I don't really find Bloomberg's argument convincing. Despite what he says, it really does seem like he's just playing weird semantic games to me.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Your sample size of 3 is convincing.

Here I'll join in on dumb projection: I bet whoever wrote "Yul hyung" is a fan of The Genius because they're playing a tv show game and that's where I first encountered the word hyung!
Yammer on all you want... the Yul hyung vote was Nicks and I stand by my reasoning (albeit as flimsy as you want to contend).
Prove me wrong and I'll :toxx:

I'm not wrong tho.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raxivace posted:

Where do you guys stand on whether Sandra "quit the game" or not?

I don't really find Bloomberg's argument convincing. Despite what he says, it really does seem like he's just playing weird semantic games to me.

The truth is its a weird middle ground. She was voted out and no one can accuse Sandra of not playing hard or giving up when stuff gets tough. She did have a small chance of getting back in the game so that end she "quit" on the game. And if you consider Edge of Extinction just part of the game then she "quit the game." But like context matters so she's different from a player who quit because the weather as bad or they were out numbered or their game got blown up or whatever. Whether her reason was good enough for you or her chance big enough to be worth going on is gonna be an individual call.

Like I said, my take is Sandra played 4 seasons, she won 2, she's been through ups and downs, fought from the bottom, dealt with assholes like Fairplay and Hantz, and she was in a unique situation of having just spent a month other there with Rob. So like if she feels she has nothing left to prove or play for I can't really argue with her.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

Yammer on all you want... the Yul hyung vote was Nicks and I stand by my reasoning (albeit as flimsy as you want to contend).

I'm not wrong tho.

you are an incredibly obnoxious individual and also missing the point really badly

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chic Trombone posted:

you are an incredibly obnoxious individual and also missing the point really badly
:)
I have a 50/50 chance.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 26, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

I'm not wrong tho.

quoting this for so they can't edit

here's the three votes from last week:

Here's tonight's Yul votes:

conveniently, "Parvati" and Yul Hyung" share no letters, so we'll have to wait to see the votes and root for a ban

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

The game is afoot

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
We can rule out Wendell's, I just forget which one that was.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

We can rule out Wendell's, I just forget which one that was.
It was the first one... :downs:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm all-in on wanting a Jeremy/Denise/Kim/Tony final four.

edit: with Kim/Denise f2.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yul :smith:

Though like, kind of dumb to rock the boat and target Wendell just by virtue of him having blown the challenge for them (if that really was the main reason). Not a smart way to dictate votes this far into the game, especially when those 3 feasibly could have been ride or die. The whole fire token plot was just overplaying too. I really like the guy, but he dug his own grave.

The main takeaway for me from that going forward is that Michelle is a force. I was always really hard on her performance in her winning season, but it's becoming really clear that her social ease is a strong asset and that her win was no accident. People consistently want to play the game with her, and that's not nothing. In theory, those 3 guys should have been locked in.

The women are killing it this season. Sophie, Michelle and Denise are playing top tier games, with Sarah and Kim not far behind.

I hope Adam sticks around and continues to have to defend himself hilariously to his tribemates and give ironic confessionals about his thinking.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
in adam's defense, he's not wrong that he was being lied to by the two people who know where the idol is, he just incorrectly assumed which of them had it. and that one does have an advantage even if it isn't specifically an idol. i wouldn't be surprised if sarah acts in a way that seems a bit overconfident for those reasons whereas sophie has a better poker face.

also the ben/adam dynamic is hilarious. it's almost like ben is adam's little brother who just won't stop bugging him.

i think i'm actually getting the feeling that michelle might win this. man, what a way to stick it to the people who hated her win originally if that happened.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
He was fully certain that the two people who did not have an idol had an idol, while never suspecting the person who actually has it. Hell, he shouldn’t have been casting suspicion in the first place. All his energy should be going into making him seem like a dependable ally and helping shore up their foursome as a cohesive unit. Instead, he is creating division and drawing attention to himself as the weak link in the process.

It’s just been bad gameplay from him since the get-go.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

blue squares posted:

I cracked up at Rob and his fire-token finding shenanigans

Also any two time winner that comes from this gets an asterisk compared to Sandra because a two time winner is of course a guarantee since everyone has won once!

This season's vote outs are a major bummer and it's one the biggest problems with modern survivor. The best, most likable people get voted out because people are afraid they will be unbeatable.

Beating all winners is way more impressive than beating a bunch of losers and randos!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Khanstant posted:

Beating all winners is way more impressive than beating a bunch of losers and randos!

Yeah I just rewatched pearl islands recently, she was obviously the best player but really got the win gift-wrapped every step of the way including all the way through FTC as Lil did her best to systematically alienate every single juror

HvV was obviously more impressive lol

but it really sounds like Sandra is completely done with survivor so now people can argue which of the faceless replacement-level players still in S40 is the new “best survivor player ever” with their two wins

God willing it’ll be somebody with only one season so far. Two-time sole survivor Adam Klein.

I could stomach Kim having another incredibly strong run or something, that’d be a neat story. I just want some good gameplay down the stretch

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
Just because the older winners are gone doesn't mean we can't have a satisfying winner this season. We just tend to mythologize the oldest winners. (And so do the players, it's why they're leaving.) There are still several great candidates for an awesome two time winner from my perspective and lot of game to be played. I mean, imagine if Kim does it again. And Tony of all people is still in the game at the merge, it'd be almost half as crazy as he is if he wins. If Michelle wins then do we reevaluated her first season and the poor edit she got? I think we do as I kinda feel like without HvV we aren't nearly as high on Sandra. It kinda puts Michelle in the same spot if she can pull it off. And what about big baller Denise pulling off that move last week? If she won the all winners season after surviving every tribal for her original win I'd have to rank her as an undisputed #1. There are some players that I'd be less keen on winning but they're the minority. Like I'd hate it if Ben won. But right now compared to a normal season I am spoiled for choice for great winners.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oof.

I'm going to have to be convinced on why keeping Wendell was a smart decision. He's mouthy, he's impatient, he's defensive. Like yeah Yul is possibly a bit more inflexible... but from his season you also know that he's intensely loyal and he's great at working from the bottom. He's a perfect ally to have until late in the game.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This is the second week in a row someone’s overreached by trying to do Nth dimensional chess bullshit with the fire tokens and gotten voted out because of it.

I’m really starting to hate the sound of Adam’s voice. He really is a whiny little poo poo.

I can’t stand Wendall. He seems like a nasty piece of work - you can see his real self shine through in his interactions with Michelle.

I’m still hoping one of Rob/Pavarti/Tyson gets back in but barring that I’m cheering for Denise and Sophie.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Of the remaining players

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm all-in on wanting a Jeremy/Denise/Kim/Tony final four.

edit: with Kim/Denise f2.

I think Denise, Kim, and Jeremy probably have the strongest bonds at the moment to hold strong in coming votes. Im all in on Denise since all my other favs are out, but if Sophie pulls ahead that would be cool too.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Sandra didn't quit Survivor. EoE is irrelevant and is not part of Survivor. It's just a gimmick for ratings that has nothing to do with the game itself. Like if a bunch of winners of the game actually vote for a returnee to win this season, I don't know how all involve aren't embarrassed.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
EoE is annoying AF, but at least there's still time for them to handle it correctly - that is to say, by having the final (and ideally only) returnee come back much sooner than Chris did in his season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I do think Sandra was legit bothered by Rob lying to her about returning for season 40 during their time on IoI, and wonder if she was staring down the barrel of having to be with him on top of simply never being someone who could win a challenge. I don't blame her for it either way, and good on her for looking at the situation and knowing she couldn't come back from it.