Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

My dad was in the ROC, poo poo was surreal. When they got shuttered he ended up getting to go to a lunch party or something at Buckingham Palace which is utterly hilarious to me. And he got some silk map of part of Ukraine which a pilot would have sewn into the lining of their jacket or something so that if they got shot down they could try escape. Actually he was talking about it over dinner fairly recently, his theory was that if there was a war starting up he didn't fancy getting drafted, and he could also get access to a bunker. I still find it a bit weird that he'd volunteer for something like that because he's always been a bit of a chill stoner type. Hard to imagine him in a uniform, never mind as the ROC equivalent of a Sergeant.

ROC actually seems like about the best bet if you wanted to survive a nuclear war (or keep out of National Service and be sent overseas to die in a smaller one). Before all this unpleasantness one of the things I wanted to do this summer is one of the tours of the ROC posts in Essex done by the guys who run the Kelvedon Hatch exhibits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1242948260253270017?s=21

Jeeesus. They've hosed it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ProfWoodward/status/1242775537539592192

I *thought* I heard some loud prop planes earlier (Hercules are *loving* loud, the turboprops normally going into City Airport are normally too quiet to hear from here).

Anyway the RAF getting practice in landing big transports right next to the under-conversion 4,000 bed temporary hospital at Excel is both worrying and one of the few signs of actual forward planning I've seen so far.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfWoodward/status/1242775537539592192

I *thought* I heard some loud prop planes earlier (Hercules are *loving* loud, the turboprops normally going into City Airport are normally too quiet to hear from here).

Anyway the RAF getting practice in landing big transports right next to the under-conversion 4,000 bed temporary hospital at Excel is both worrying and one of the few signs of actual forward planning I've seen so far.

So that's what that huge thing buzzing over London earlier was. I thought it was flying weirdly low for such a large plane.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1242872661774131201

Holy poo poo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Does *your* motorcycle come with a valet service that can arrange restaurant reservations for you?

I can only read this in Barry Scott's voice.

Throw in some black and white footage of middle class idiots fumbling about with their phones not knowing how to book a reservation.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mr Phillby posted:

The link auto embedded into a nice youtube video with a clear title and thumbnail on my end, have you got that disabled?

You made me check, but

:shrug: I guess it's broken in the awful app on my phone and I should yell at baka kaba

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wachter posted:

NUMBER of fatalities MUST GO UP

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242905328209080331

I know this is trump, but tell me boris johnson isn't on board with exactly this gameplan. Take it on the chin and get britain back on its feet, work from home unless you can't

oh hey better keep going to work for a couple months then!

Vulnerable people quarantine themselves for *checks calendar* 12 weeks, everyone else get out there and catch it and when you do go home for 7 days til you're over it. Britain open for business at the start of June! did u hear 50% of people may already have it and it's not a problem? fantastic news and proof we're going to beat this thing and protect ARE NHS and

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maugrim posted:

You made me check, but

:shrug: I guess it's broken in the awful app on my phone and I should yell at baka kaba

rude

is it enabled on the actual site, User Control Panel > Edit Options? try that

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The other thing I'm not seeing mentioned is that if you have a partner who works more than 16 hours a week, you don't get poo poo. Even if they work 16 hours at minimum wage and can't even remotely afford the mortgage and bills, (let alone food), you get the good old government shrug.

Someone say something nice about survival rates and asthma. I've been reading about apparently healthy people younger than me dying of it, but the article was in one of those stupid loving embedded browsers so I can't find it. So when my idiot sister in law infects me with it, I don't rate my chances too highly.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You're always going to get outliers but there's no huge trend of young people dying of this.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

baka kaba posted:

rude

is it enabled on the actual site, User Control Panel > Edit Options? try that

Ohhhh

Thanks for that, now I can truly enjoy these forums as God intended

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Today I told my ex landlord that I would not be paying rent for April, that I relinquish all rights to the property, and that I have now vacated it. I made clear that I would not do so under normal circumstances, but that - on top of health risks - the threat of increasing restrictions on movement may have forced me to remain in the premises for several more months, incurring fees that I would not be able to cover (so I'm doing them a favour!). Accepted that they'll keep the deposit, but I never expected otherwise. So, can't wait to be pulled into court for this! I do think I have a relatively strong argument at least should it come to that.

Azza Bamboo posted:

You're always going to get outliers but there's no huge trend of young people dying of this.

Precisely, and even old assholes have more chance of pulling through than not.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 26, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I thought that cases in the US were skewing younger than the rest of the world? Was that just random noise in the early cases?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There was this one on the BBC about a 36 year old woman from London.

A lot of the stuff I've been reading has hidden somewhere in the article that they were taking ibuprofen and paracetamol. I get colds when the seasons change and flu most years, and get through it fine; but the one time I was hospitalised and unable to breathe, it was because I was taking nurofen cold & flu.

Maybe I've just grown cynical in the death throes of capitalism but it would not surprise me to find out that there's a scientific consensus that ibuprofen fucks you up if you have a respiratory infection, but the companies who make it have been buying out or suing the poo poo out of researchers who try to make it wider knowledge.

It seems like the later stages involve an overload of the body's inflammatory response and ibuprofen could be loving with that.

I don't know, I think it just hit me today. I checked on the NHS site and I'm not using enough clenil to put me in the high risk group, but still. Even if this doesn't kill me, my grandma in law has COPD, my wife's stepmother has something similar and is on oxygen, and with my father in law (for all of his faults) if she dies he's going to kill himself.

Dog has no idea any of this is happening and has briefly forgiven the break in routine, because we now have a short morning walk and then a play in the garden as soon as the sun goes down.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

maybe it'll be better? Guardian is saying 80%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...kUyqQda98R6Vpww

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
pfffft lol

https://twitter.com/Tomgribbin3/status/1242964630990962691?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Someone say something nice about survival rates and asthma. I've been reading about apparently healthy people younger than me dying of it, but the article was in one of those stupid loving embedded browsers so I can't find it. So when my idiot sister in law infects me with it, I don't rate my chances too highly.

According to this there's about 94% rate of survival among people with chronic respiratory disease, a bit higher if you're on the younger side of things.

Interestingly that is about the same as for cancer patients; the worst appears to be cardiovasular trouble with diabetes as distant second.

It's really not that bad of a survival rate, risky sure but not a death sentence by any means.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 26, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So, don't roll a nat 1

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

maybe it'll be better? Guardian is saying 80%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...kUyqQda98R6Vpww

The eight week delay and the narrow criteria for getting it are the problems, not the amount itself.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Private Speech posted:

According to this there's about 94% rate of survival among people with chronic respiratory disease, a bit higher if you're on the younger side of things.

Interestingly that is about the same as for cancer patients; the worst appears to be cardiovasular trouble with diabetes as distant second.

It's really not that bad of a survival rate, risky sure but not a death sentence by any means.

Be careful with the stats here - correlation doesn't imply causation. 6% of those developing COVID with chronic respiratory disease have died, but that doesn't mean every person with chronic respiratory disease who develops it has a 6% chance of dying.The idea that a healthy individual with well managed diabetes in their 20s has a 9.2% chance of death, for example, is absurd. That's not to say that they're not at an increased risk - they might will be, but we don't have the data to give accurate prognoses at the moment. The great majority of those reporting these kinds of underlying conditions are also middle aged to elderly, are likely to have multiple risk factors, and as a result are likely to have been more at risk in any case. Until we have more precise data that can break down deaths by age and by condition this isn't particularly helpful.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Maybe concentrating people in centers like excel could hasten the science so we get the real numbers instead of this misleading poo poo that always leads to someone delivering a "well actually"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

Maybe concentrating people in centers like excel could hasten the science so we get the real numbers instead of this misleading poo poo that always leads to someone delivering a "well actually"

Not trying to be an rear end! Just hoping to provide a little reassurance. From my own experience I know that looking at these kinds of stats can cause a lot of anxiety, as the way they are presented almost always makes the mortality rate for individual co-morbidies seem higher than it actually is (for most demographics).

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 26, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I didn't mean you were an rear end more that this kind of reporting always seems to come with some asterisk clause underneath it and I just want the number, not to have to take a class in scientific methodology and statistics to be able to understand what this means for me.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

No of course they're trevor bastards, as evidenced by oliver law-degree QC.

well given how english generally works, i have no idea whether "laughdugry" is supposed to be pronounced "law degree" or "laff-durrrr" or "laundry" or "potato"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah part of what's frustrating about this is the lack of information. The guidance from the government is uselrss because App Mancock and Boris are spinning the poo poo out of this, nothing they say can be trusted. The papers will retweet whatever comes out of the mouth of any doctor even if their surname is Zands. The NHS are hedging their bets and trying not to make Mancock look bad and in the meantime the population have no loving idea what they're supposed to be doing, or how.

Almost as if this is the natural consequence of years of eroding trust in experts.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Coohoolin posted:

oh cool! cheers, i'll check it out.

lol i've heard about "peter coffin's wife" before, in the context of Terminally Online Twitter mobs trying to cancel him over something or over, that is... not what i was expecting lol

Peter Coffin is a very strange individual.

He had a whole thing where he made some lovely comments about a female Asian blogger on twitter, got called out for it, and invented a Japanese girlfriend for himself to prove he wasn't racist against Asians, including making a twitter account for her and defending him, and further slagging off the Asian blogger.

He got found out and was one of the first people to be "cancelled" on the internet.

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/1242933029602910209?s=20

Also there's this:

https://twitter.com/AnAnimeGiraffe/status/1242934855291359232?s=20

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Honestly blows my mind that Peter Coffin creep managed to rebrand as A Feminist Ally without so much as acknowledging how hosed up that was or apologising.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/st...ingawful.com%2F

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

USA rather than here but
https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1242908119887269894
:getin:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Headphones broke but thank Christ it seems like I've managed to order from a place still doing deliveries.

This is, unrelated to the topic under discussion, an incredible username

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My wife (who is a care worker) decided to start officially self isolating yesterday because I woke up with a cough. I had no other symptoms at all and it was gone in a couple of hours.

She'd filled out the form in the NHS website and they sent her a self isolation note, which she's showed her work and our daughter's childminder.

In hindsight, it feels like she was being a little overzealous in self reporting like this... Does anyone know whether you can go back and un-self isolate?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ROC actually seems like about the best bet if you wanted to survive a nuclear war
Is that a good idea?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

My wife (who is a care worker) decided to start officially self isolating yesterday because I woke up with a cough. I had no other symptoms at all and it was gone in a couple of hours.

She'd filled out the form in the NHS website and they sent her a self isolation note, which she's showed her work and our daughter's childminder.

In hindsight, it feels like she was being a little overzealous in self reporting like this... Does anyone know whether you can go back and un-self isolate?

Pretty sure it’s two weeks of isolation if someone in your family shows symptoms (or just has a cough)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Regarding those extinction rebellion tweets/stickers:

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/n7jmmx/fascists-impersonate-climate-group-to-say-coronavirus-is-good-for-earth

"The problem: The group says it does not recognize the Twitter account and tweeted "far-right groups have put out stickers with messaging" that is not in line with the group's beliefs. In an email, Extinction Rebellion spokespeople clarified that they don't actually know who is behind the account, but social media posts by a neo-Nazi group viewed by Motherboard shows them gloating about flyers and claiming that the group impersonated Extinction Rebellion in the past."

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Guys, I've got a difficult decision to make today about going back to work. There's an offer of up to two weeks paid leave if you feel like you're not adequately protected. While they've moved all desks two feet apart, it's still a building of 2000 people in a call centre environment, and I don't think the work we do (mortgage advice) is right now essential for the running of the country. While I'd feel bad about leaving my colleagues out there, I'm getting chest pains from the stress. I could take the two weeks leave now, but I'm worried that things will be even more hosed in two weeks at the end of it than they are now in terms of change of infection, so is it better to work and take the sick weeks later? I don't know, what would people do?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've seen it speculated that in around 2 weeks time we will hit the peak (for around 4 weeks after that). I don't really have any good advice for you sorry. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'd take it now, and if they haven't moved the desks further apart or turned off the Aircon by the time you go back look at other ways to stay away for longer

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe I've just grown cynical in the death throes of capitalism but it would not surprise me to find out that there's a scientific consensus that ibuprofen fucks you up if you have a respiratory infection, but the companies who make it have been buying out or suing the poo poo out of researchers who try to make it wider knowledge.

It seems like the later stages involve an overload of the body's inflammatory response and ibuprofen could be loving with that.

There is no evidence that ibuprofen does anything negative in SARS-2 infection. This has come from the mainstream media reporting things that they're not used to and noise getting jumped on and amplified without proper analysis or caution. What's probably happened is people have seen that steroids are harmful (which may be true), extrapolated this to NSAIDs (which is inappropriate) and then had confirmatory cases of young people taking them before 'suddenly deteriorating' (which is what you expect from what we know about the disease anyway). These case reports are utterly meaningless, shouldn't have raised any concern and definitely shouldn't have been widely reported as 'ibuprofen worsens covid'.

NSAIDs have many harmful effects in critical illness and long term use, especially in people with cardiovascular risk factors and in sepsis, which are well known and widely publicised medically, but less publicised by the mainstream media, they are also known to have the potential to worsen asthma. The evidence for them being specifically bad in respiratory infection is generally of poor quality with many papers that are poorly designed and over-reach in their conclusions from what I have seen. The general consensus has been 'caution' which means they may do something but there's not actually any good evidence. Like I said though, they're well known to generally have harmful effects in chronic use and critical illness so they're already advised against in the UK and most hospitals' medical wards will avoid them if possible, mainly for the effect on kidneys. It's also important to realise they're not all the same drug and the effects are different, generally ibuprofen is the most benign compared to say diclofenac which actually ended up with a warning against use in certain groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Weasling Weasel posted:

Guys, I've got a difficult decision to make today about going back to work. There's an offer of up to two weeks paid leave if you feel like you're not adequately protected. While they've moved all desks two feet apart, it's still a building of 2000 people in a call centre environment, and I don't think the work we do (mortgage advice) is right now essential for the running of the country. While I'd feel bad about leaving my colleagues out there, I'm getting chest pains from the stress. I could take the two weeks leave now, but I'm worried that things will be even more hosed in two weeks at the end of it than they are now in terms of change of infection, so is it better to work and take the sick weeks later? I don't know, what would people do?

I'd take it now. There's a good chance that once the infection rate really takes off your workplace will be closed either voluntarily or involuntarily.