Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1240376038108037127?s=19

A very good month

Come and See
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
An Unmarried Woman
The Cameraman
Tokyo Olympiad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Come and See sounds very much like one of those "watch once and never again" kind of movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Cameraman is a must-own for me, but I'm also wanting to see Portrait, Come and See, and Tokyo Olympiad.

If you're a fan of Buster Keaton, The Cameraman is worth seeing. It's been a little hard to find due to only being released in a TCM Archives DVD set years ago (with Spite Marriage and his first talkie Free and Easy). The 4K restoration ought to be a revelation since it was actually considered a lost film for some time and until the 90s, only existed in horrific quality 16mm prints (the MGM VHS released in 1988 used one).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

The Cameraman is a must-own for me, but I'm also wanting to see Portrait, Come and See, and Tokyo Olympiad.

If you're a fan of Buster Keaton, The Cameraman is worth seeing. It's been a little hard to find due to only being released in a TCM Archives DVD set years ago (with Spite Marriage and his first talkie Free and Easy). The 4K restoration ought to be a revelation since it was actually considered a lost film for some time and until the 90s, only existed in horrific quality 16mm prints (the MGM VHS released in 1988 used one).

POALOF might be the best film about painting ever.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

POALOF might be the best film about painting ever.

Better than the Mr. Bean movie?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

I Before E posted:

Better than the Mr. Bean movie?

La Bean Noiseuse (1991)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

codyclarke posted:

La Bean Noiseuse (1991)

:eyepop:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

codyclarke posted:

La Bean Noiseuse (1991)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cacator posted:

Come and See sounds very much like one of those "watch once and never again" kind of movies.

It very much is.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Cacator posted:

Yeah, I saw it ten years ago and I have no desire to watch it again, but it was worth seeing once.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Golem is pretty weird and awesome. The restoration is also top notch, if it weren't for the intertitles changing font sometimes I wouldn't notice anything.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Just got an email with :10bux: off my next order. Coronavirus is going to kill a lot of businesses, isn't it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cloks posted:

Just got an email with :10bux: off my next order. Coronavirus is going to kill a lot of businesses, isn't it?

I'm pretty much just assuming the worst when it comes to small businesses I love. All my favorite mom & pop restaurants, the local comic shop, stuff like AGFA and Vinegar Syndrome, etc.

A really beloved local Japanese place burned down a year ago and finally reopened 10 whole days before the poo poo really hit the fan this month. They're doomed all over again. :smith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber leaked on Facebook that Criterion has all the Universal-owned W.C. Fields films except for two they're releasing (1933 Paramount version of Alice in Wonderland and likely the anthology film If I Had a Million). Seems like it would be for another box set since that's 16 films, including The Bank Dick which they released as a bare-bones DVD almost 20 years ago. Most of the films are just under or over an hour long and Universal themselves released a DVD collection with the films.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I got the Ingmar Bergman box set having never seen any of his movies, only 4 into the collection but I have a feeling he's going to end up one of my favorite directors, can't believe it took me so long to see anything he made. Wild Strawberries wrecked me, I'm simultaneously looking forward to and dreading what his other films are going to do to me.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Hirsute posted:

I got the Ingmar Bergman box set having never seen any of his movies, only 4 into the collection but I have a feeling he's going to end up one of my favorite directors, can't believe it took me so long to see anything he made. Wild Strawberries wrecked me, I'm simultaneously looking forward to and dreading what his other films are going to do to me.
You are correct to be worried, cuz there are sad times ahead - totally worth it though. You could always rotate in another box set like Godzilla or Jacques Tati.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I've actually been alternating Bergman with my first-time viewing of the Fast & the Furious franchise, those movies are pretty fun palate-cleansers!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Hirsute posted:

I've actually been alternating Bergman with my first-time viewing of the Fast & the Furious franchise, those movies are pretty fun palate-cleansers!

And you've learned a lot about family!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Since I'm in Australia and Criterion don't ship there, I can't use my $10 off the Crtierion Store code they just sent out: 9UM8KP

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

I, Butthole posted:

Since I'm in Australia and Criterion don't ship there, I can't use my $10 off the Crtierion Store code they just sent out: 9UM8KP

I just used this. Thank you!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone else have issues with their Bergman sets? In my set, seventh seal stopped working at about 1 hour in, and now with persona, one of the supplements crashes after about 20 seconds. Starting to wonder what other blu rays are at risk in the set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Anyone else have issues with their Bergman sets? In my set, seventh seal stopped working at about 1 hour in, and now with persona, one of the supplements crashes after about 20 seconds. Starting to wonder what other blu rays are at risk in the set.

Only disc I haven't watched in full yet is Fanny & Alexander miniseries (and I guess the theatrical Scenes from a Marriage, though I watched Saraband) and without any issues.

What player are you using?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Egbert Souse posted:

Only disc I haven't watched in full yet is Fanny & Alexander miniseries (and I guess the theatrical Scenes from a Marriage, though I watched Saraband) and without any issues.

What player are you using?

Tried two different xbox ones. I have read that some printings of seventh seal were known to have issues. Guess there's always trying to clean to blu rays themselves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Local Hero is alright. The first hour or so is kinda dull but it picks up towards the end. It's very 80s, with capital B Businessmen and lots of jokes about wacky psychiatrists. It was kinda fun to see a movie about a big city guy going to a small town where the small town just absolutely sucks rear end. It's ugly and grey and boring and full of old men.

Field of Dreams was one of my favorite movies as a kid so it was neat to see the doctor from Field of Dreams playing the CEO in Local Hero.

Not bad, got some nice imagery and good bits, but Northern Exposure is better.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
For Canadians, Unobstructed View is having a 2/30 DVD sale on Criterions. Yes, yes, I know people prefer Blu-Rays, but this is still a great deal.

e: just realized that today is the last day.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 31, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is The Magician a horror movie? It's got a spooky skull on the cover

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Is The Magician a horror movie? It's got a spooky skull on the cover

If you want to get technical, most of Bergman's films are about existential horror, but it's not "horror" horror.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do not. Dang, I was hoping I could use it for the April challenge

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd say Hour of the Wolf counts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah but I don't have Hour of the Wolf.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think these can reasonably be counted as horror films from Bergman or at least being similar enough in mood:

The Seventh Seal
The Devil's Eye
Persona
Hour of the Wolf
Shame
From the Life of Marionettes

(The Devil's Eye, Hour of the Wolf, and From the Life of Marionettes are all exclusive to the big box on physical media, but are up on The Criterion Channel)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not looking for a Bergman horror, it's just that I bought The Magician a while back and it's been sitting on my to-watch pile, so I was wondering if I could use it for the April horror challenge thread.

I appreciate the helpful posts though

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You should still watch The Magician, mind you.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

the british ending of night and the city fuckin' sucks

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

I think these can reasonably be counted as horror films from Bergman or at least being similar enough in mood:

The Seventh Seal
The Devil's Eye
Persona
Hour of the Wolf
Shame
From the Life of Marionettes

(The Devil's Eye, Hour of the Wolf, and From the Life of Marionettes are all exclusive to the big box on physical media, but are up on The Criterion Channel)

From the Life of the Marionettes is a weird one, it starts off almost like a giallo before returning to more standard Bergman fare. Other than that I think Hour of the Wolf is his only horror film (I haven't seen The Devil's Eye though). A film can have horrific content without being horror. You could maybe make a case for The Virgin Spring though.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m watching the television version of Fanny and Alexander (in episodic chunks) and I just got to the scene where two ghost girls taunt Alexander and it hosed me up way more than it should have

Probably because I was high and alone and wasn’t expecting even very mild horror

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It's Bergman. Dude sneaks in really effective horror in the weirdest places.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Alec Eiffel posted:

I’m watching the television version of Fanny and Alexander (in episodic chunks) and I just got to the scene where two ghost girls taunt Alexander and it hosed me up way more than it should have

Probably because I was high and alone and wasn’t expecting even very mild horror

Their mother's screams when they see her through the crack in the door. *shudder*

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Twin Cinema posted:

For Canadians, Unobstructed View is having a 2/30 DVD sale on Criterions. Yes, yes, I know people prefer Blu-Rays, but this is still a great deal.

e: just realized that today is the last day.

Used this deal to pick up True Stories, Broadcast News, Sisters, and The Young Girls of Rochefort.

I also realized I bought the Bergman set November 2018 and have watched a grand total of 1 film from it. Yes, I have seen other Bergman films, but man, I gotta dig into that. Also now I have all these spare Bergman Criterions that are effectively doubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This thread nudged me to watch the original godzilla, and then I watched the movies ten and twenty years after (mothra and mechagodzilla). what a ride