Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Yooper posted:

I found a cool place in the Ukraine to order models. Looks like most stuff is made every few weeks. I've got a pair of BTR's coming and a Mig27. The order process is a bit lol though. You place an order then they send you an invoice a couple days later then you Paypal them the money. Website is hobby.dn.ua.

One manufacturer, AModel, has all sorts of crazy poo poo.

That looks kinda cool but the order process looks similar to best balsa kits and their ordering. I ordered detail up aprts for the 956 from scale motorsports a couple of weeks ago and got a message saying that they may have sent the wrong order. Thankfully they sent the correct order but I was happy that they gave me the heads up before it arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There's a similar place called HobbyTerra that I ordered from, they had free worldwide shipping if you spent over $200. Naturally I have yet to touch any of those kits.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
building the tamiya mkIV kit and goddamn this is maybe the most satisfying/relaxing kit i've built in a long time. i think the last kit that was nearly as joyful to build was the meng whippet. why do i keep messing with fiddly-rear end zvezdas instead of these masterpieces?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

building the tamiya mkIV kit and goddamn this is maybe the most satisfying/relaxing kit i've built in a long time. i think the last kit that was nearly as joyful to build was the meng whippet. why do i keep messing with fiddly-rear end zvezdas instead of these masterpieces?

Because the skills you learn working on fiddly horror shows are a truer test of your skill as a model builder?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Working on their Fairey Swordfish, and yeah, same. My last two kits were obscure polish companies, and it really is a nice change of pace. Dear Tamiya, please make a model of everything I want to build.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wish Tamiya made muscle car models. I mean they have made pretty much every Japanese and European car there is you'd think theyd want to expand their catalog.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Zvezda T-34 I just built was actually a breeze, even with the little bit of extra PE I bought for it. Everything fell into place incredibly well and even joints hardly needed any sanding.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i oughta build their t-34--i'm slowly amassing a full company of t-34s, one from each manufacturer. the tamiya one was a breeze, the dragon is....slightly less so. i'll order the zvezda to keep me sane through quarantine.

honestly, the worst/most fiddly/most disastrous builds i've done were the takom t-55 amv and the miniart armord bulldozer. just absolute nightmares lmao

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Make sure to get the new Zvezda and not the old one. The old one is pretty bad and has glaring issues with accuracy. I have a Dragon T-34 in the stash, so I'll find out how bad it is the hard way.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm building an AFV Club T-34-85 soon. Trying to figure out how to scratch build a couple elements to make it a post-war Czech model, which I expect to go poorly. Otherwise looking forward to the kit though.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
the afv club is next on my list after the academy. i've heard really good things about it....even though it'll break my theme to have an 85 next to all my 76s

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Other than Dragon's 1/144 F/A-18 + carrier deck, is there any way to acquire a 1/144 scale modern carrier deck preferably with a catapult shuttle that isn't scratch building?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWpw1NTWBcY

For those of you wanting something to watch while in lockdown Adam Savage is livestreaming his build of a 1/8 scale Eagle Moss Ecto-1. The link above is part one and he did part two today.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWpw1NTWBcY

For those of you wanting something to watch while in lockdown Adam Savage is livestreaming his build of a 1/8 scale Eagle Moss Ecto-1. The link above is part one and he did part two today.

I clicked around part 2 at random, and at 3 completely different random points landed on scenes where you can see bugs crawling across the model parts and desk. Dude needs to fumigate that place if I saw that many bugs just completely at random in such a short period of time.

Ughhh, rustles my jimmies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I clicked around part 2 at random, and at 3 completely different random points landed on scenes where you can see bugs crawling across the model parts and desk. Dude needs to fumigate that place if I saw that many bugs just completely at random in such a short period of time.

Ughhh, rustles my jimmies.

He probably just leaves doors and windows open 24/7 there and is used to it. Or are these roaches?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Midjack posted:

He probably just leaves doors and windows open 24/7 there and is used to it. Or are these roaches?

I felt like one was a spider, and one was a silverfish/firebrat, not sure about the third.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I felt like one was a spider, and one was a silverfish/firebrat, not sure about the third.

It's a dodgy warehouse packed full of crap so it doesn't surprise me that there are bugs hanging out in his space.

I got both colour coats on the 956 today and while it's only my second time using zero paints I like the way they go down with an airbrush. I did manage to hit a couple of areas a little hard so the plastic has crazed but it's not enough to be noticeable once the clear and decals are applied. I did gently caress up masking between the white and the blue though. I used my usual low tack masking tape which normally works alright but doesnt handle being stuck down to be cut into thinner strips. It also does not like sticking to itself over curves and other non falt surfaces which is super evident in the last photo. I'll have to mask all of the blue off tomorrow so that I can go back and fix the overspray that I got on the white.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'll have to mask all of the blue off tomorrow so that I can go back and fix the overspray that I got on the white.

Looks nice! Next time, you can try spraying some clear (or white) to seal the tape. Then spray the blue after drying a bit. That usually helps take care of paint creeping under the tape (looks like there is a little bit of that).

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Finished the Airfix 1/72 Bf 110C-2 in Italian markings.

For a tooling that's so recent this sure was a pain to put together, especially around the engine nacelles. I used pigments to do the exhaust stains for the first time and I think I'm gonna do it this way on all my aircraft from now on- I think it gives a much nicer effect. It requires a very matte surface to work properly, so i think I'll switch to a lacquer matte varnish for the next one.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I made another tiny bote

The model is Metal Earth's Titanic. Lovely detail but some frigging tiny bits, I really ought to buy a magnifier.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is there a thread for toy restoration? I've tried searching but failed to find anything. Trying to fix up some vintage Star Wars figures but I've gone beyond the "put paint on it" stage with one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I would think somebody in the Transformers thread in BSS would either know something or know someone who knows something.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is it Chinese bootleg decals only if I want 1/144 generic caution signs and stripes for an aircraft hangar or flight deck?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

I would think somebody in the Transformers thread in BSS would either know something or know someone who knows something.
That'll be my next stop after this one anyway.

ETA: May as well give details. Anyone have any ideas of how to repair split rubber? An ewok has a slightly damaged hood.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 24, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Arquinsiel posted:

ETA: May as well give details. Anyone have any ideas of how to repair split rubber? An ewok has a slightly damaged hood.

I spent a while trying to think of a way to transcribe the pained, sympathetic sighing noise I just made, but nothing quite hits the mark.

If you do find a good way to do it, please let us know. I spent the other day trying to fix a split polycap. At the very least I can tell you that superglue never bonded, and trying to brush on a little acetone like plastic cement just melted the thing outright, so don't do those things.

Depending on how big the tear is and how it's placed, you might try something like mod podge and paint over the glue once it dries.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Fearless posted:

Because the skills you learn working on fiddly horror shows are a truer test of your skill as a model builder?

I hope you're kidding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I am a TF thread guy but I also read here, so... I found a post on TFW that suggested a way to repair dryrotted rubber tires on G1 toys: https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/g1-tire-repair-and-replacement.1073720/

Never tried it myself & no idea how well it works on rubberized plastic, so maybe still go ask in the TF thread and someone else may have (or be able to find) a better idea. I will say that I have successfully repaired a few stress-cracked MPs and 3P guys with JBWeld Plastic. Not Starscream's transparent flight stand, though. I should really try some CA on that...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Furism posted:

I hope you're kidding.

Not really. I learned more from working on difficult, poorly engineered kits than I ever did from the easier ones and there is a different degree of satisfaction that comes from overcoming something like that as opposed to working on a kit that almost puts itself together.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Fearless posted:

Not really. I learned more from working on difficult, poorly engineered kits than I ever did from the easier ones and there is a different degree of satisfaction that comes from overcoming something like that as opposed to working on a kit that almost puts itself together.

This is why I only do Tamiya car kits on occasion and typically do revells. The revells piss me off to no end so it's like taking a nice vacation when I do Tamiya and everything just fits.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Fuckin shag carpet. I just lost a drat E brake handle

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Panty hose on a vacuum hose.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Spend a couple of hours fabricating a new one.

And then find the original one on the carpet with a single glance, in a spot that you've already examined.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

I spent a while trying to think of a way to transcribe the pained, sympathetic sighing noise I just made, but nothing quite hits the mark.

If you do find a good way to do it, please let us know. I spent the other day trying to fix a split polycap. At the very least I can tell you that superglue never bonded, and trying to brush on a little acetone like plastic cement just melted the thing outright, so don't do those things.

Depending on how big the tear is and how it's placed, you might try something like mod podge and paint over the glue once it dries.

It's just this little bit circled in red, so I'm mostly worried about long-term damage since the 1984 Wicket figure has a weirdly designed hood that moves around when the right arm is moved. Most of the solutions involve way more work than just never touching it again and praying, and likely will result in it looking bad or melting anyway.

Suzaku posted:

Panty hose on a vacuum hose.
Where were you when I lost lego parts as a kid?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Hello modeling comrades.

AK Interactive is hosting an online modeling contest to compensate for the lack of physical competitions due to COVID-19. The jury will select 5 models per category and the final winner will be chosen by popular vote through Facebook. There is a guaranteed prize(a gift voucher for their online store) for the winner of each category and special prizes given by jury members on their discretion.

https://www.facebook.com/AKinteractive.official/photos/a.197747380246996/2920635911291449/?type=3&theater

I'm going to send some poo poo and it would be great to see some SA models there.

Jaguars! posted:

I made another tiny bote

The model is Metal Earth's Titanic. Lovely detail but some frigging tiny bits, I really ought to buy a magnifier.

What a pain, the result is worth it though!

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Finished the Airfix 1/72 Bf 110C-2 in Italian markings.

For a tooling that's so recent this sure was a pain to put together, especially around the engine nacelles. I used pigments to do the exhaust stains for the first time and I think I'm gonna do it this way on all my aircraft from now on- I think it gives a much nicer effect. It requires a very matte surface to work properly, so i think I'll switch to a lacquer matte varnish for the next one.

It doesn't look 1/72, good job! Did you use guitar cord for the cables?

Sparq fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 26, 2020

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It's a dodgy warehouse packed full of crap so it doesn't surprise me that there are bugs hanging out in his space.

I got both colour coats on the 956 today and while it's only my second time using zero paints I like the way they go down with an airbrush. I did manage to hit a couple of areas a little hard so the plastic has crazed but it's not enough to be noticeable once the clear and decals are applied. I did gently caress up masking between the white and the blue though. I used my usual low tack masking tape which normally works alright but doesnt handle being stuck down to be cut into thinner strips. It also does not like sticking to itself over curves and other non falt surfaces which is super evident in the last photo. I'll have to mask all of the blue off tomorrow so that I can go back and fix the overspray that I got on the white.

It's looking good. Can't you fix the small blue paint bleeding just by regular brush? I'm not used to such tidy paintjobs as I usually do dirt-laden crap-covered tanks and mechs.

EDIT: drat it, double posted instead of editing the quotes inside the previous post. Sorry.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sparq posted:

It's looking good. Can't you fix the small blue paint bleeding just by regular brush? I'm not used to such tidy paintjobs as I usually do dirt-laden crap-covered tanks and mechs.

EDIT: drat it, double posted instead of editing the quotes inside the previous post. Sorry.

if you know how to get paint applied via brush to look the same as the airbrushed paint its on top of i will love you forever

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you know how to get paint applied via brush to look the same as the airbrushed paint its on top of i will love you forever

I've done it on more uneven paintjobs using three or four very thinned layers of paint, using the tip of a rounded brush. It was just curiosity about car modeling and its painting procedure in this case as remasking everything is a big chore. Painting cars and getting perfect finishes looks like black magic to me.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Sparq posted:

It doesn't look 1/72, good job! Did you use guitar cord for the cables?

Thanks! It's actually Ez-line elastic wire for the aerials.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Symetrique posted:

Spend a couple of hours fabricating a new one.

And then find the original one on the carpet with a single glance, in a spot that you've already examined.

This was me in the past 😭

And it will be me again soon I guarantee it 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You can kind of do it with oils. It won't work well to cover up dark paint on top of white though.